PDA

View Full Version : O.J. Simpson tossed from steakhouse on Derby eve

MamaMia
5/9/2007, 12:52 PM
His lawyer is playing the race card.

O.J. Tossed From Steakhouse on Derby Eve

By: BETH CAMPBELL

The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.
"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby - who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. - said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/402/story/36623.html

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 01:02 PM
Race Card graphic in 3...2...1..

Personally, IMO, kudos to the restauranteur for standing for his principles. He doesn't have to serve anyone he doesn't want to - as long as it is within existing laws and he is not against race, creed, religion, etc.

This seems like a classic I don't care for you and how you deport yourself, I am not going to serve you. Perhaps there is more to it, but I would be surprised that to be the case.

Widescreen
5/9/2007, 01:06 PM
Wasn't surprised that the race card was played. OJ's attorney will have to show that the guy has a track record of not serving minorities. Otherwise, it would be pretty difficult to say the guy serves customers based on race. I predict we won't hear anything more about this.

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 01:06 PM
He better be looking over his shoulder though, O.J. might come after him with a knife.

sooneron
5/9/2007, 01:08 PM
How can it be about Race when OJ pretty much turned his back on all blackness back in the 70's. He did everything he could to get away from that community.

jk the sooner fan
5/9/2007, 01:11 PM
OJ is black?

Boarder
5/9/2007, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Ruby played the "murderer" card, not the race card. OK, alleged murderer.

MamaMia
5/9/2007, 01:50 PM
On CNN they said that O.J.s girlfriend got into a heated argument with the owner of the restaurant but they wont tell us about it. Its on their paid site called www.cnn.pipeline.com., so we may never know all the juicy, (no pun intended ;)), details. :P

jk the sooner fan
5/9/2007, 01:56 PM
the restaurant owner could have just played the "disgusting human being" card.....

okiehawk
5/9/2007, 02:26 PM
The owner was just looking out for the safety of his waitstaff!

Mongo
5/9/2007, 02:28 PM
I would have let him stayed, but not let him have any sort of knife, and then laugh at him while he tries to cut a steak with only a fork.

soonerscuba
5/9/2007, 02:30 PM
As the old saying goes, if you want people to treat you normally, don't cut off your wife's head.

LoyalFan
5/9/2007, 02:56 PM
As the old saying goes, if you want people to treat you normally, don't cut off your wife's head.

Ohhhh, I dunno. Henry T. Eighth still gets some props 'n spek.
In later years, as I'm told, he'd have a few too many and talk about how Annie B. and Kathy H. gave great head...no, really!
Those wacky Tudors!

LF
Historian-in-Residence.

StoopTroup
5/9/2007, 03:02 PM
They should have served him a raw steak with a bloody glove on.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/9/2007, 04:19 PM
Chutzpah must be his middle name...or Unconscious. Story reported on the radio.

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2007, 04:22 PM
does this have anything to do with the other thread on this still on the first page?

5/9/2007, 04:24 PM
does this have anything to do with the other thread on this still on the first page?Could be. I didn't look very hard before submitting this thread.

yermom
5/9/2007, 04:25 PM
you don't say ;)

proud gonzo
5/9/2007, 04:25 PM
...don't owners of private establishments have the right to deny service to anyone they choose?

GottaHavePride
5/9/2007, 04:33 PM
Yes, they do. And, MERGED!

Shamrock
5/9/2007, 06:15 PM
While Simpson is disgusting, this whole thing smells like a business owner trying to get free publicity and advertising.

5/9/2007, 06:48 PM
While Simpson is disgusting, this whole thing smells like a business owner trying to get free publicity and advertising.WHAT A TAKE!!!

AlbqSooner
5/9/2007, 07:57 PM
Yale Galanter - OJs attorney is a real Pant load IMO.