PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Tom Brahaney

jk the sooner fan
5/9/2007, 12:30 PM
Tom Brahaney elected to college football hall of fame (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2865093)

long overdue

Seamus
5/9/2007, 01:32 PM
Thirty-plus years overdue. Excellent, and congrats to a great Sooner.

LoyalFan
5/9/2007, 02:35 PM
Ohhhh yeahhhh, I sho dew rekkymember him. Did he wear #51 by any chance?
How many Sooners do we gots in that thar Hollow Frame anyhew? 'Side Tommy, Bud, etc. I means.

Thankin' yew in add-vants,

LoyalFan
Out huntin' possum

LittleWingSooner
5/9/2007, 02:45 PM
Here's a list of Hall of Famers from OU

Players
Tom Brahaney
Kurt Burris
Tony Casillas
Forest Geyer
Keith Jackson
Tommy McDonald
Jim Owens
Steve Owens
Greg Pruitt
Claude Reeds
JD Roberts
Lee Roy Selmon
Billy Sims
Jerry Tubbs
Billy Vessels
Joe Washington
Jim Weatherall
Waddy Young

Coaches
Biff Jones
Bennie Owen
Barry Switzer
Jim Tatum
Bud Wilkinson

That's 22 total.

Widescreen
5/9/2007, 03:53 PM
Here's a list of Hall of Famers from OU

Players
Tom Brahaney
Kurt Burris
Tony Casillas
Forest Geyer
Keith Jackson
Tommy McDonald
Jim Owens
Steve Owens
Greg Pruitt
Claude Reeds
JD Roberts
Lee Roy Selmon
Billy Sims
Jerry Tubbs
Billy Vessels
Joe Washington
Waddy Young
Rhett Bomar

Coaches
Biff Jones
Bennie Owen
Barry Switzer
Jim Tatum
Bud Wilkinson

That's 22 total.
You missed one.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 03:57 PM
How many schools have a Hall of Fame coach with only one arm?

Jello Biafra
5/9/2007, 05:10 PM
heh heh. we have more coaches in the hall than osu has period.

Jello Biafra
5/9/2007, 05:37 PM
George Cumby will be put in when I get to be dictator.

cmon? how can you go against a guy named wahoo? he needs to be in there regardless of his playing days :)

LittleWingSooner
5/9/2007, 05:49 PM
Rod Shoate should probably be in there before Cumby.

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2007, 11:19 PM
Jimmie Harris belongs, Roy will almost certainly be in there when he's eligible, Adrian has a pretty good chance also

SoonerInFla
5/10/2007, 01:34 AM
I checked SoonerSports earlier today looking for a write up on Tom Brahaney.
Couldn't find anything so I gave em a call. The young lady that answered was very nice and said she'd make sure the right people got the request for the write up. They probably had one coming anyways but I wanted to make sure. Here's a nice little read. Brahaney has always been one of my favorites.

Brahaney in College FB Hall of Fame
Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
Release: 05/09/2007

Tom Brahaney
View larger Courtesy: SoonerSports.com

Tom Brahaney

NORMAN, Okla. -- From one of the most storied football programs in history, Tom Brahaney continues the legacy of outstanding Oklahoma players in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Brahaney became the 23rd Sooner (18 players, five coaches) inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Wednesday.

A two-time consensus First Team All-America (’71, ’72), Brahaney was the hub of an offensive line that allowed the Sooners to lead the nation in rushing, scoring and total offense in 1971. The Midland, Texas, native was also a two-time All-Big-8 selection and a Lombardi Award finalist in 1972.

Serving as team captain during his senior campaign, Brahaney’s snap precision and unsurpassed one-on-one blocking earned him high acclaim – even from archrivals. Following the 1971 “Game of the Century,” Nebraska’s Rich Glover, a 1995 College Football Hall of Fame inductee, called Brahaney the best center he played against all year.

Hall of Fame Sooners | College Football Hall of Fame

Brahaney was drafted in the fifth round of the 1973 NFL Draft and played nine seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals. He currently owns and operates a drilling company and resides in Midland.

The 2007 College Football Hall of Fame Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) Class will be inducted at the 50th Annual Awards Dinner on December 4, 2007, at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City. They will be officially enshrined at the Hall in South Bend, Ind., during ceremonies in July of 2008.

College Football Hall of Fame
Great players and coaches built the Oklahoma football tradition. OU has placed 18 players and five former coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame. No Big 12 school has more.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=883216

jk the sooner fan
5/10/2007, 07:50 AM
Ohhhh yeahhhh, I sho dew rekkymember him. Did he wear #51 by any chance?
How many Sooners do we gots in that thar Hollow Frame anyhew? 'Side Tommy, Bud, etc. I means.

Thankin' yew in add-vants,

LoyalFan
Out huntin' possum

he wore #54

BoomerJack
5/10/2007, 09:01 AM
Someone enlighten me. Who was/is Biff Jones?

I've heard of every other name on that list but that one.

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 09:49 AM
Jones, "Biff" (Lawrence McC.)
Football
b. Oct. 8, 1895, Washington, DC
d. Oct. 10, 1954

A 6-foot-3, 200-pound tackle, Jones played at Army in 1915 and 1916. He was elected captain of the 1917 team, but missed the season while serving in France during World War I. Jones returned to West Point as an assistant coach in 1919 and he became head coach in 1926.

In four seasons at his alma mater, Jones had a 30-8-2 record. He served as a field artillery officer in 1930 and 1931, then became head coach at Louisiana State University. He was also appointed an instructor in military science so he could remain in the Army.

Jones had a 20-5-6 record in three seasons at LSU, and his 1933 team was unbeaten, winning 7 and tying 3. He left the school for the University of Oklahoma in 1935, in large part because of a conflict with Governor Huey Long.

After a 9-6-3 record in two seasons, Jones retired from Oklahoma and became head coach at Nebraska in 1937. His 1940 squad won 8 games in a row after losing its opener and became the first Nebraska team to play in a bowl game, losing 21-13 to Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

Jones retired after the 1941 season. Overall, he had a 87-33-15 record, a .700 winning percentage, in 14 seasons.

Desert Sapper
5/10/2007, 10:52 AM
It's about time for Brahaney. Boomer Sooner!

OSUAggie
5/10/2007, 12:08 PM
heh heh. we have more coaches in the hall than osu has period.

Not hard to do when it's nothing more than a beauty contest for the powerhouse programs. We have almost 3x as many 2-time all-americans not in there as we do players in there.

jk the sooner fan
5/10/2007, 12:14 PM
If that domer Zorich can get in, why not George Cumby?

i raised an eyebrow at that name as well.....

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 12:16 PM
If that domer Zorich can get in, why not George Cumby?

I know Boz will probably never get in. But how about Rod Shoate, Carl McAdams, Daryl Hunt(OU's all time leader in tackles), or Bob Harrison?

Desert Sapper
5/11/2007, 01:32 PM
Not hard to do when it's nothing more than a beauty contest for the powerhouse programs. We have almost 3x as many 2-time all-americans not in there as we do players in there.

If that's true...then why is Rod Shoate a 3-time All-American and not in the Hall? Why is Buddy Burris a 3-time All-American and not in the Hall? If you'd drop your penis-envy for a second and realize through your whining that Aggie isn't the only one that gets stiffed, maybe you'd deserve an ounce of respect.