PDA

View Full Version : Student suing College after being denied degree over myspace photo

royalfan5
5/9/2007, 09:05 AM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/05/myspace_photo_costs_teacher_ed.html

Bear in mind that she is 25 in the photograph, but apparently this school in Pennsylvania thinks that being photographed with a drink=promoting underage drinking.

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2007, 09:19 AM
SAID PICTURE:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3209/0426072pirate1zj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 09:28 AM
she should have dressed as a ninja.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 09:36 AM
I wonder if her profile was set up to be private, and whether that would make a difference to a judge deciding her case. I know we look at the MySpace and Facebook pages for our potential interns, just to get an idea of what we'd be getting ourselves into with a particular candidate. Course I'd consider a drunken pirate a "plus."

NormanPride
5/9/2007, 09:52 AM
Hmm... Can you even tell if it's alcohol in there? Sounds like the College is on shaky ground.

yermom
5/9/2007, 09:53 AM
maybe it was captioned?

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 09:55 AM
maybe it was captioned?

Yup. "Drunken Pirate," according to the blog post.

Boomer.....
5/9/2007, 10:04 AM
Weak!

yermom
5/9/2007, 10:16 AM
Yup. "Drunken Pirate," according to the blog post.

ok, so she was drinking

if facebook existed a few years ago i know a teacher or two that would have never gotten their certificate ;)

i think she has a good case, that school is screwed win or lose though

would you want to go there for an Education degree?

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 10:40 AM
Apparently, it's a public university. I would guess a private college might have more leeway in denying somebody a degree on the basis hers was denied.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 11:15 AM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/05/myspace_photo_costs_teacher_ed.html

Bear in mind that she is 25 in the photograph, but apparently this school in Pennsylvania thinks that being photographed with a drink=promoting underage drinking.

What's funny is that do not teacher's have a moral clause anymore in their contracts? My wife did in Edmond 14 years ago.

BTW, why in hell does someone older than 20 have a myspace page anyway? If you're going into the grown-up world, then perhaps you shouldn't have a myspace page or at least, don't post things that you don't want you mother to know about or see...

yermom
5/9/2007, 11:17 AM
what's immoral about dressing as a pirate and drinking at 25?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 11:20 AM
For teachers, that could be considered immoral (the drinking part). My wife and I never went out to eat anywhere near Edmond while we lived in OK and she worked in Edmond. We enjoy adult beverages with our meal and she didn't want to accidently come across any students and/or parents and have to explain to anyone about a beer or a bottle of wine...

Though I do find it hard to explain that they won't give her an education degree (rather than the English degree), unless a successful completion of a student teacher practicum is a requirement of the degree and she didn't successfully complete that. Otherwise, I would have though she might have been flunked on that and had to repeat the student teaching part.

Dio
5/9/2007, 11:25 AM
If this catches on, Mike Leach is screwed

landrun
5/9/2007, 12:01 PM

Hilarious! :D Drinking and pirates = Leach.
Spek to you my friend. :)

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2007, 12:01 PM

Supposedly Baylor does the same thing but for the act of drinking itself regardless of age. There were a LOT of rumors flying around this year that they checked our myspace and facebook pages for pics of us drinking and then they'd take some action in response, like require alcohol treatment. I don't know if it's true (I wouldn't be surprised if it is), but I don't know of any 1st hand accounts of it happening.

def_lazer_fc
5/9/2007, 12:07 PM
BTW, why in hell does someone older than 20 have a myspace page anyway? If you're going into the grown-up world, then perhaps you shouldn't have a myspace page or at least, don't post things that you don't want you mother to know about or see...

myspace is great for keeping up with information of all your favorite bands. especially the ones that don't get a write up in rolling stone every issue. now, if you're over 20 and still filling out those damn surveys, then stop it. no one cares what your favorite color is, or what you had for dinner last tuesday.

and this is a bit off topic, but do you guys think i should take off that picture of me free basing heroin while stabbing a elderly woman in the heart?

GottaHavePride
5/9/2007, 12:20 PM
For teachers, that could be considered immoral (the drinking part). My wife and I never went out to eat anywhere near Edmond while we lived in OK and she worked in Edmond. We enjoy adult beverages with our meal and she didn't want to accidently come across any students and/or parents and have to explain to anyone about a beer or a bottle of wine...

See, I totally disagree that there's anything inherently immoral about drinking thins containing alcohol. Hell, before the whole "public sanitation" idea caught on, it was safer to drink alcoholic beverages than water - the alcohol killed off the nasty bugs that caused (at the time) incurable and possibly fatal diseases.

Now, a person that has been shown to be irresponsible with their drinking, yes, that's a problem and should affect their ability to work as an educator. However, someone that has a beer or glass of wine with dinner? Who cares? I think it's actually better for kids to see someone enjoying that sort of drink responsibly than it is for them to grow up thinking it's immoral. Because if they think they shouldn't drink because it's "immoral" the first thing they're gonna do is sneak off somewhere and get stupid drunk to see what the big deal is.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 12:56 PM
See, I totally disagree that there's anything inherently immoral about drinking thins containing alcohol. Hell, before the whole "public sanitation" idea caught on, it was safer to drink alcoholic beverages than water - the alcohol killed off the nasty bugs that caused (at the time) incurable and possibly fatal diseases.

Now, a person that has been shown to be irresponsible with their drinking, yes, that's a problem and should affect their ability to work as an educator. However, someone that has a beer or glass of wine with dinner? Who cares? I think it's actually better for kids to see someone enjoying that sort of drink responsibly than it is for them to grow up thinking it's immoral. Because if they think they shouldn't drink because it's "immoral" the first thing they're gonna do is sneak off somewhere and get stupid drunk to see what the big deal is.

Totally agree. But she did have a moral clause in her contract and that wasn't well defined. We didn't want to have to answer any questions about our personal lives or justify anything, so, for us, it was easy to stay away from North OKC and Edmond while drinking.

bri
5/9/2007, 01:06 PM
BTW, why in hell does someone older than 20 have a myspace page anyway?

Because I can't be within 100 yards of a schoolyard or park anymore.

Goddamn activist judges...:mad:

GottaHavePride
5/9/2007, 01:32 PM
Totally agree. But she did have a moral clause in her contract and that wasn't well defined. We didn't want to have to answer any questions about our personal lives or justify anything, so, for us, it was easy to stay away from North OKC and Edmond while drinking.

Ah, ok. I missed that part.

BigRedJed
5/9/2007, 01:57 PM
...BTW, why in hell does someone older than 20 have a myspace page anyway? If you're going into the grown-up world, then perhaps you shouldn't have a myspace page or at least, don't post things that you don't want you mother to know about or see...
That shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what MySpace is. That's like saying that people over 20 shouldn't text message, or send e-mails. I get really tired of hearing people call MySpace a dating site, or a kiddie site, or whatever. MySpace is whatever you make of it. In my case, it's the best way to find new bands, keep up with new releases and concert dates for bands I already like, communicate with my scooter club.

Also it's a way to keep in touch with tons of friends that I might not talk to on a regular basis, find out what's going on in their lives, and, to some extent, let them know what's going on in mine. I'm not one of those people who put's their every thought on there, however.

MySpace is not a dating site, but it can be if that's what you want it to be. Personally, I have never met anyone or tried to meet anyone on it. It's not a music site, but it can be if that's what you want it to be. It's not just a blog, but it can be if you want it to be. It's not necessarily an events site, but it can be if you want it to be. It's not necessarily a messenging site, but it can be if you want it to be.

Nearly every single one of my friends on MySpace is in their late 20s or their 30s. Several are older than me. I turn 40 in a few months, and I'm not at all embarrassed to have a MySpace profile.

yermom
5/9/2007, 02:04 PM
word.

KC//CRIMSON
5/9/2007, 02:11 PM
That shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what MySpace is. That's like saying that people over 20 shouldn't text message, or send e-mails. I get really tired of hearing people call MySpace a dating site, or a kiddie site, or whatever. MySpace is whatever you make of it. In my case, it's the best way to find new bands, keep up with new releases and concert dates for bands I already like, communicate with my scooter club.

Also it's a way to keep in touch with tons of friends that I might not talk to on a regular basis, find out what's going on in their lives, and, to some extent, let them know what's going on in mine. I'm not one of those people who put's their every thought on there, however.

MySpace is not a dating site, but it can be if that's what you want it to be. Personally, I have never met anyone or tried to meet anyone on it. It's not a music site, but it can be if that's what you want it to be. It's not just a blog, but it can be if you want it to be. It's not necessarily an events site, but it can be if you want it to be. It's not necessarily a messenging site, but it can be if you want it to be.

Nearly every single one of my friends on MySpace is in their late 20s or their 30s. Several are older than me. I turn 40 in a few months, and I'm not at all embarrassed to have a MySpace profile.

It's not just a 40 year old man going through a mid life crisis, trying to be hip, get laid, fetish site, but it can be if you want it to be......:D

colleyvillesooner
5/9/2007, 02:14 PM
Only thing Myspace did for me was when I found and reunited online with people I hadn't talked to in a long time, I remembered why I hadn't bothered to keep in touch.

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 02:15 PM
Its not just for snuff films either! ;)

Octavian
5/9/2007, 02:40 PM
Only thing Myspace did for me was when I found and reunited online with people I hadn't talked to in a long time, I remembered why I hadn't bothered to keep in touch.

heh

Ike
5/9/2007, 02:52 PM

I have no problem with the moral clause in a teaching contract, however, this is not for a job...this is a teaching certificate. There is no moral clause attached to the certificate (or there shouldn't be). Further, simply having the picture on her myspace says nothing about her character. I kind of feel that at the MOST, what the university should have done is simply to pull her aside one day and say "ahem...when you take a teaching job, you may want to get rid of those kinds of pictures from your myspace. Some schools may fire you over that"

Denying the certificate because of that picture/caption is utterly retarded though.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 02:54 PM

That's fine, just consider me part of the non-connected generations...;)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 02:56 PM
I have no problem with the moral clause in a teaching contract, however, this is not for a job...this is a teaching certificate. There is no moral clause attached to the certificate (or there shouldn't be). Further, simply having the picture on her myspace says nothing about her character. I kind of feel that at the MOST, what the university should have done is simply to pull her aside one day and say "ahem...when you take a teaching job, you may want to get rid of those kinds of pictures from your myspace. Some schools may fire you over that"

Denying the certificate because of that picture/caption is utterly retarded though.

Agreed! here is what I said earlier...

Though I do find it hard to explain that they won't give her an education degree (rather than the English degree), unless a successful completion of a student teacher practicum is a requirement of the degree and she didn't successfully complete that. Otherwise, I would have though she might have been flunked on that and had to repeat the student teaching part.

Cam
5/9/2007, 09:03 PM
That's lame as hell. It's not like she was flashing bewbs or freebasing.

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 09:26 PM
myspace is great for keeping up with information of all your favorite bands. especially the ones that don't get a write up in rolling stone every issue. now, if you're over 20 and still filling out those damn surveys, then stop it. no one cares what your favorite color is, or what you had for dinner last tuesday.

and this is a bit off topic, but do you guys think i should take off that picture of me free basing heroin while stabbing a elderly woman in the heart?

call it "drugs are good"

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 09:27 PM

Public Service Announcement

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of Poop. However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, beer or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting. Remember:

Water = Poop
Liquor = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink liquor and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of ****.

There's no need to thank me for this valuable information; I'm doing it as a public service.

BajaOklahoma
5/9/2007, 10:03 PM
Some of the more competitive colleges look at the webpages before accepting students. I know that some of the employment agencies and college student career services advise the job seekers to delete anything that would possibly be offensive to anyone. They have actually recommended deleting it all until the job was obtained.

One recruiting tool for universities is the number of graduates getting jobs. She is going to have a hard time getting a teaching job at this point, whatever happens with the certificate. This is the kind of publicity that districts don't want.

She was very stupid.

1stTimeCaller
5/9/2007, 10:47 PM
dollar to a donut that the person that made the decision is a member of the Baptist Church.

olevetonahill
5/9/2007, 10:56 PM
Students have to sign a morality clause ?

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2007, 11:08 PM
Wow, a college student drinking; what will they think of next?

goingoneight
5/9/2007, 11:11 PM

I already told him the OC jorb had his name on it back in Nompton.

achiro
5/9/2007, 11:13 PM
She is going to have a hard time getting a teaching job at this point, whatever happens with the certificate.

I totally disagree. She gets the certificate and then I say she will be able to find a job pretty easily.

olevetonahill
5/9/2007, 11:13 PM
Wow, a college student drinking; what will they think of next?
What im sayin. What if she had had sects ? :eek:
sounds like she needs to be stoned .
HMM wonder if she wants to come over . :D

goingoneight
5/9/2007, 11:14 PM
That's lame as hell. It's not like she was flashing bewbs or freebasing.

Heh, those pics are on facebook.

:les: PIRATE BEWBS!!!

olevetonahill
5/9/2007, 11:14 PM
I totally disagree. She gets the certificate and then I say she will be able to find a job pretty easily.
So you think teenage boys all over the land will be working to get her hired ?

tulsaoilerfan
5/9/2007, 11:24 PM
What im sayin. What if she had had sects ? :eek:
sounds like she needs to be stoned .
HMM wonder if she wants to come over . :D
I got your back for all that pal!!:D :D

olevetonahill
5/9/2007, 11:27 PM
I got your back for all that pal!!:D :D
treesome huh ? But you aint getting behind me .

Okla-homey
5/10/2007, 04:57 AM
If you read the article, it states the university gave her an English degree in lieu of the education degree she sought -- because they figured she was no longer fit to fill young minds full of mush due to her drinking affliction.

Heck, the way I see it, she's ahead of the game. A bachelor of English is way more impressive than a bachelor of education.

olevetonahill
5/10/2007, 05:24 AM
If you read the article, it states the university gave her an English degree in lieu of the education degree she sought -- because they figured she was no longer fit to fill young minds full of mush due to her drinking affliction.

Heck, the way I see it, she's ahead of the game. A bachelor of English is way more impressive than a bachelor of education.
Drunk bitch ! works for me !:cool:

Vaevictis
5/10/2007, 06:21 AM

They didn't just deny her the degree in education, they denied her the teaching certification. From what I'm gathering, she can't practice her chosen profession without it.

bri
5/10/2007, 10:13 AM
I already told him the OC jorb had his name on it back in Nompton.

Oh goody. I was really missing having to go five wide, empty backfield on short yardage situations because we don't have any fullbacks or tight ends.