PDA

View Full Version : From the Why We Need Lawyers File

TexasLidig8r
5/9/2007, 08:47 AM
The other thread brought back memories of a favorite case... about 15 years ago, I was defending Sears in a slip and fall case. A lady in her late 50s claimed to have slipped on an oil puddle in a Sears store.

Now she already had a prothesis starting above the knee on her right leg and claimed as a result of the slip, she had to have her knee redacted.

So, I'm deposing her in our office.. a very nice law firm officing then in the Crescent complex. The deposition is going along without incident until for some reason, she blows a gasket.... and says..

"Mr. D, do you want to see what Sears did to me?" I replied, "well, yes ma'am, sure." She then proceeds to lift her leg up, take off her prothesis, balances it on the table, holds up her stump and starts waving it at me!.. and let me tell you, it's NOT a pretty picture!

About this time, two partners are walking by, see this through the conference room windows and are standing there gawking.. then start smiling... then start laughing...

My response at this point is... "Well ma'am.. I'm not an expert, but it looks like an attractive enough stump to me."

Her face turns first white,... then pink.. then red.. she bursts out in tears, gets up.. hops to the door, opens it up.. hops into the hallway... crying loudly, asking, "Where's the womens room? Wheres the womens room?" Her husband gets up from his chair, grabs her prothesis.. and starts trying to catch up to her saying, "Mabel, come back, you forgot your leg!!"

I go the opposite way, down the hallway, hear hysterical laughter, walk into a partner's office and the two who were outside the conference room, are almost rolling on the floor they are laughing so hard.

We settled for $2,500.00.

Now, that was a fun case.

crawfish
5/9/2007, 09:13 AM
The story would have been funnier if she'd beat you with her prosthetic leg. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 09:33 AM
The story I could tell regarding a depo, a personal injury and a "johnson"...

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 09:46 AM
I once had a client up for distribution of reefer, he answered to the name "Stoney." If you want to stay out of prison, have better street names! ;)

85Sooner
5/9/2007, 10:29 AM
We don't need lawyers. Just shoot the victims

Denny Crane

skycat
5/9/2007, 10:32 AM
Are we really okay with using the term "officing" as a verb?

OSUAggie
5/9/2007, 10:50 AM
Are we really okay with using the term "officing" as a verb?

heh, that's what I got out of it too.

Vaevictis
5/9/2007, 10:51 AM
You know why we need lawyers?

Because the other guy has them. That's it. It's kinda like nukes. :D