PDA

View Full Version : my secretary...

OUAndy1807
5/8/2007, 10:05 PM
she has a couple of kids who have had legitimate health issues in the past and still have some lingering issues, but I am 99.99% sure that she uses them as an excuse when she just doesn't feel like coming in (and I'm not just talking about "I have a feeling" type things, I've had credible people tell me.) I also get the feeling that she doesn't even try (like if she wakes up and one of the kids is "acting a little strange" she'll call in instead of taking them to one of the grandparents house, both of which are near her and both of which babysit for her for free)

I feel bad being a dick about someone who says they have a sick kid, but I'm also ****ed that she would put me in a situation to even have to doubt her AND use her kids illness for her own laziness. Also, given her personality, I wouldn't rule out Munchausen by Proxy.

What would you guys do?

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 10:07 PM
I have been taken advantage so many times I can't even guess, only to say that and much worse happens regularly...

Octavian
5/8/2007, 10:09 PM
Release the Hounds...

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8015/burnsxc3.png (http://imageshack.us)

ChickSoonerFan
5/8/2007, 10:14 PM
Do you have an attendance policy?

If so, write her up.

If not, make one...and enforce it.

I had to put two girls on warning for attendance in the last week...not fun. I am not so good at playing the heavy...but it had to be done.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/8/2007, 10:16 PM
Start documenting the days she calls in to see if there is a pattern. For instance, does she always call in on Mondays or Fridays?

If her kids are that sick then she needs to be providing doctors notes.

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 10:17 PM
All good ideas...

soonerboomer93
5/8/2007, 10:17 PM
I let go of a few people for attendance at Dish...

you'll probably need to talk to HR if she's claiming tardines/absence due to medical reasons though...

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 10:19 PM
I let go of a few people for attendance at Dish...

you'll probably need to talk to HR if she's claiming tardines/absence due to medical reasons though...

Do you work at Dish Network ??

yermom
5/8/2007, 10:25 PM
i think people will unconsciously push those kind of limits

if you act like it's not a big deal, then it will just keep happening

OKC-SLC
5/8/2007, 10:33 PM
[Obligatory PIITB.]

Actually, I think SBSB is exactly right.

Penguin
5/8/2007, 10:34 PM
I know someone that lives in The Netherlands. If you call out sick, you MUST provide a doctor's note. If you call out 2 days in a row, somebody will come pay you a visit to make sure you are sick and they'll give you a free ride to the hospital (or work if you're faking).

It's like being in the military. You or a loved one better be dying.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the thread. I just thought it was an interesting story.

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 10:37 PM

Duh, you think people will take advantage of you if you allow it....they will fricken abuse you, if you allow it...my tolerance level is very small and has been for about the past 20 tears...no tolerance...

soonerboomer93
5/8/2007, 10:44 PM
Do you work at Dish Network ??

did...

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 10:47 PM
did...

They had a little problem south of Norman on I-35 in the past few months...highway accident...

oumartin
5/8/2007, 10:50 PM
is she hawt? you can work this to your advantage!

OUstudent4life
5/8/2007, 11:18 PM

That's my boss and our newest student. This guy is working on a test question for a class (take home paper, coupla' pages tops) and pretty much took all of last week and both days this week off. No comment from her. His turnaround on experiments is about 1/month this year. I, however, continue to write my FREAKING DISSERTATION and am in the lab e v e r y day working, and I still get bugged about "well, what are you doing today? What will we find out?" (on top of getting complained about to other students and employees about my work ethic behind my back).

Gah. Sorry, rant over.

Set limits, and stick to them, all the time. It sounds like it succs, but employees appreciate it in the end. Consitency is a good thing.

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2007, 11:39 PM
Had the same girl a few years ago. Her kid could sneeze and she would call in. It ****ed me off, but she was hawt and would wear mini skirts that would flash the monkey now and then. So, I let it slide.

Octavian
5/8/2007, 11:41 PM
Had the same girl a few years ago. Her kid could sneeze and she would call in. It ****ed me off, but she was hawt and would wear mini skirts that would flash the monkey now and then. So, I let it slide.

she played you.

Frozen Sooner
5/8/2007, 11:42 PM
Be VEEEEEERY careful. You can run afoul of the Family Medical Leave Act really quickly if you take action against your secretary for taking time off for a sick child.

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2007, 11:45 PM
she played you.
Like a fiddle.:mad:

Soonerus
5/8/2007, 11:47 PM
If it wasn't for Anita Hill things would be like the old days...awesome....

oumartin
5/9/2007, 12:02 AM
amen! I'm tellin' ya women and this equal rights crap is gonna ruin this country yet.

Mjcpr
5/9/2007, 12:05 AM
Duh, you think people will take advantage of you if you allow it....they will fricken abuse you, if you allow it...my tolerance level is very small and has been for about the past 20 tears...no tolerance...

Whatever the case, I don't think it's worth crying over.

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 03:36 AM
They had a little problem south of Norman on I-35 in the past few months...highway accident...

just don't devalue my stock taking care of said problem...

MamaMia
5/9/2007, 07:32 AM
As an office manager, I would have to know how many days she has been absent before I could offer advice. Have you given her a verbal or written warning?

RacerX
5/9/2007, 07:49 AM
The best advice from this thread -

Make sure the absences are documented.
Talk to HR.

If she's been taking off and you've been letting her or approving it, then it's on you. She's only been doing what the company lets her do.

If FMLA has been used, then that leave can't count against her in a disciplinary action. If FMLA has never been applied for, then I don't see FMLA being an issue.

This isn't about her or her kids, this is about an employee that either is or isn't being a reliable/valuable part of the team.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 07:53 AM
Be VEEEEEERY careful. You can run afoul of the Family Medical Leave Act really quickly if you take action against your secretary for taking time off for a sick child.

Exactly... although FMLA doesn't apply to everyone. I believe it's organizations with 50 or more employees. If you really want to get rid of this psycho, (and I would, because I effing HATE women like that) you need to get advice from a lawyer who practices in the area of employment law. I think maybe Frankensooner does...

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 08:02 AM
rooowrrr fffffffffft.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/9/2007, 08:14 AM
Start documenting the days she calls in to see if there is a pattern. For instance, does she always call in on Mondays or Fridays?

If her kids are that sick then she needs to be providing doctors notes.

I would start requiring Dr. notes for an illness call, if no note, dock her vacation.

jk the sooner fan
5/9/2007, 08:16 AM
munchausen syndrome by proxy MIGHT be likely if her kids were always in the hospital.....not just sick at home

soonerbrat
5/9/2007, 08:40 AM
What kind of health issues?

there's a woman in our office that is out all the time because of a sick kid at home...and I have a feeling it's the same type of deal. Not the MBP thing but she just needs excuses to stay home from work...she also comes in late and sneaks out early...

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 09:20 AM
rooowrrr fffffffffft.

Don't make me scratch you, Hairy.

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 10:21 AM
you know, being hairy, that's not exactly a threat as much as a come-on.

i'm narking.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 10:34 AM
My claws, they iz sharp.

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 10:35 AM
less talking, more scratching.

yermom
5/9/2007, 10:40 AM
Exactly... although FMLA doesn't apply to everyone. I believe it's organizations with 50 or more employees. If you really want to get rid of this psycho, (and I would, because I effing HATE women like that) you need to get advice from a lawyer who practices in the area of employment law. I think maybe Frankensooner does...

FMLA is unpaid leave, is it not? and i thought it was for more extended leave

it sounds like she doesn't take the job seriously...

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 10:45 AM
Somebody can use (and/or abuse) what's called "intermittent FMLA" on a day-by-day basis.

yermom
5/9/2007, 11:15 AM
ah, ok

but it's not paid leave time, is it?

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I am not an employment law attorney.

XingTheRubicon
5/9/2007, 11:42 AM
Hi, who are you?

I'm Frieda's boss.

I'm sorry, who's Frieda?

My secretary.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 11:43 AM
ah, ok

Right, it's unpaid. I've still see people abuse it though. And it might not apply to Andy's company anyway. I'm just saying he needs to be careful, because he could be opening himself up to a lawsuit. Me, I'd just figure out a way to (legally) make her work environment so crappy she'd just quit on her own.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry, I am not an employment law attorney.

My bad... what is your area? I might want to stalk you.

Frozen Sooner
5/9/2007, 12:26 PM
FMLA leave does not have to be unpaid. If an employee has paid leave available, they can use their paid leave while on FMLA leave.

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 12:55 PM
My bad... what is your area? I might want to stalk you.
Civil Appellate Law....sorry, did I put you to sleep?. ;)

RacerX
5/9/2007, 12:57 PM
I'd just figure out a way to (legally) make her work environment so crappy she'd just quit on her own.

That can get you in trouble as well. Constructive discharge.

If she hasn't filled out the forms or requested fmla, it doesn't matter.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 01:41 PM

It's possible to make people's lives miserable without them knowing you are doing it. But it takes the awesome ninja skillz of a female to make it happen without getting busted. :texan:

That's all I'm allowed to say.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 01:46 PM
Civil Appellate Law....sorry, did I put you to sleep?. ;)

If I ever make up my mind about going to law school, I'd want to practice in wills, trusts, estate planning and probate. How's that for sleep inducement?

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 02:10 PM
Actually, that can be fun. I really liked drafting wills. Probates can be a pain, but they usually are not that difficult. When I was a meat and potatoes attorney, Workers' Comp and Criminal were the most fun. Family Law was the least fun.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/9/2007, 02:13 PM
I know someone that lives in The Netherlands. If you call out sick, you MUST provide a doctor's note. If you call out 2 days in a row, somebody will come pay you a visit to make sure you are sick and they'll give you a free ride to the hospital (or work if you're faking).

It's like being in the military. You or a loved one better be dying.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the thread. I just thought it was an interesting story.

Well, yeah, they only work 10 days out of the year in Europe. You have to get a lot done in that 10 days.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 02:20 PM
Actually, that can be fun. I really liked drafting wills. Probates can be a pain, but they usually are not that difficult. When I was a meat and potatoes attorney, Workers' Comp and Criminal were the most fun. Family Law was the least fun.

I've actually thought appellate practice might be interesting too. I know it involves a lot of writing, so it's sort of a natural fit for a journalism graduate. Criminal appeals might especially be a lot of fun.

Since you practice civil appeals, you'd probably appreciate my accidental flashing of Justice Opala story. :D

Family law = blah. My mom does that. I'd never have the patience for all the a**holes.

Fugue
5/9/2007, 02:46 PM
I'd never have the patience for all the a**holes.

And yet you hang around the SO. :D

We must be a higher grade of a-hole.

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 08:04 PM
ah, ok

yes and no

if you have paid time off available, you're required to use that, once it's exhausted, then it's unpaid.

but there is a limit to the amount of time you can take under FMLA (i think 480 hours but i'm not certain)

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 08:06 PM

If she hasn't filled out the forms or requested fmla, it doesn't matter.

actually, if we had employees taking off time for "medical issues" and they were eligible (over 1 year at the company) we had to notify them of the FMLA options when taking disciplinary actions...