PDA

View Full Version : SI Article about our RBs

Desert Sapper
5/8/2007, 12:21 PM
Who's Gone?
Adrian Peterson, RB
After 4,045 yards and 41 touchdowns in three seasons, "All Day" left Norman. Peterson was picked seventh overall in the draft by the Vikings.

Who's Next?
As we saw when Peterson was injured last year the cupboard isn't exactly bare. The trio of Allen Patrick, Chris Brown and Jacob Gutierrez combined for 1,323 yards and 10 touchdowns in Peterson's absence. Redshirt freshman DeMarco Murray stole the spotlight in the spring game, running for 103 yards on four carries.

The Verdict
Patrick, who had four 100-yard games last season appears to have the No. 1 spot locked up for the season opener and that's no knock on Murray.Coach Bob Stoops isn't one to throw freshmen into the fire right away -- Peterson didn't start until the fourth game of his first year -- but Murray should get his share of opportunities.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/cory_mccartney/05/04/shoes.to.fill/2.html)

Nothing earth-shattering here. It's just good to keep seeing things about us in print. Boomer!

mxATVracer10
5/8/2007, 01:58 PM
Sooner!!!!

Shame on you other 32 that left that Boomer hanging :mad:

rankin07
5/8/2007, 06:40 PM
haha lose perhaps the greatest college back of all time and still have the best running back corps in the nation wow we are spoiled

OSUFAN11
5/8/2007, 06:58 PM
Patrick is really good and Murray is still a question mark. I think Patrick is the man because he got the job done and Murray will be a stud if he continues to do what he did in the spring game.

Big Red Ron
5/8/2007, 08:09 PM
Patrick is really good and Murray is still a question mark. I think Patrick is the man because he got the job done and Murray will be a stud if he continues to do what he did in the spring game.I think the situation is going to unfold very similar to when we had Kejuan Jones and a Freshman named Peterson. By the UT game Murray will be the primary ball carrier.

OSUFAN11
5/8/2007, 09:00 PM
It looks as if it will turn out that way but you never know! It is hard to tell sometimes.

goingoneight
5/8/2007, 10:02 PM
Patrick is really good and Murray is still a question mark. I think Patrick is the man because he got the job done and Murray will be a stud if he continues to do what he did in the spring game.

Patrick has been great for us, no doubt. And he's a great leader, too... which I feel has been underplayed. But if AD was healthy throughout all of 2006, and we saw the exact same performances in the Spring Game we saw so far for 2007... the entire Sooner Nation would knock AP and hype Murray. Mostly because before AD broke his collar bone, he was used minimally and fumbled a lot. He went into the Spring Game as the Number One Guy... and fumbled on his first carry. He has great speed and hits the holes quickly, and is an AD-type of RB. He works to wear you down, but lacks the explosiveness we saw from AD once he got into the secondary.

I agree with Coach Stoops (what I feel he'll do exactly)... start AP, workhorse AP, let Chris Brown back him up (relieve him), and let the other guys play when you have room to experiment, like... a 21-point-lead-kinda room to experiment.

I'm still telling everyone I know that the hype is for real, DM could steal the starting job early as long as he takes care of the football well.

goingoneight
5/8/2007, 10:05 PM
It looks as if it will turn out that way but you never know! It is hard to tell sometimes.

This much is true... rememebr all of the OSU fans who wanted that "damn kid Barry Sanders" out of the ball game so they could see Thurman play? You never know when you have a diamond in the rough, or another turd in the punch bowl (cough!!! BOMAR!!! cough!!!)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2007, 10:20 PM
Patrick is really good and Murray is still a question mark. I think Patrick is the man because he got the job done and Murray will be a stud if he continues to do what he did in the spring game.Is that how it works?

LittleWingSooner
5/8/2007, 10:26 PM
I think the situation is going to unfold very similar to when we had Kejuan Jones and a Freshman named Peterson. By the UT game Murray will be the primary ball carrier.

Patrick is a lot better than Kejuan. And Murray isn't as good as AD. But I probably agree. Murray could take the job away. He's going to be a better back then Patrick in the long run.

picasso
5/8/2007, 11:28 PM
regardless of who starts, I think both players are going to get a more than fair share of carries.
Patrick is still a home run threat and we've seen how tough he is. folks have already forgotten how he smoked oSu.

Big Red Ron
5/9/2007, 03:04 AM
regardless of who starts, I think both players are going to get a more than fair share of carries.
Patrick is still a home run threat and we've seen how tough he is. folks have already forgotten how he smoked oSu.I was in the end zone at Pyle field when Pat broke of the sickest 80 yard TD I've ever seen, complete with a 360 spin halfway down the field and some high stepping towards the end zone. To bad it was called back on a phantom holding call.

auto
5/9/2007, 07:34 AM
I was in the end zone at Pyle field when Pat broke of the sickest 80 yard TD I've ever seen, complete with a 360 spin halfway down the field and some high stepping towards the end zone. To bad it was called back on a phantom holding call.

That did suck even though the aggie lite fans next to me were like, wow:D

Desert Sapper
5/9/2007, 09:41 AM
I was in the end zone at Pyle field when Pat broke of the sickest 80 yard TD I've ever seen, complete with a 360 spin halfway down the field and some high stepping towards the end zone. To bad it was called back on a phantom holding call.

I'm still wondering how Malcolm got called for holding, when he pancaked the hell outta that dude. Wish I had the video evidence. One of the baddest blocks I've seen a WR make.

PAW
5/9/2007, 09:51 AM
I'm still wondering how Malcolm got called for holding, when he pancaked the hell outta that dude. Wish I had the video evidence. One of the baddest blocks I've seen a WR make.

Here ya' go:

Allen Patrick spin move @ aTm 2006 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evkb2x9YDTA)

swardboy
5/9/2007, 10:01 AM
Mr. Brown impressed me a lot last year. He seems to be a very intelligent ball runner, able to make gains out of "sure" stops with smart maneuvering. He also has great strength, pushing a tackler back five yards on one pass reception play in the spring game. I'll be very happy with him healthy and backing up whoever.

sooner518
5/9/2007, 10:04 AM
man that call still annoys me. kelly totally drives that guy back and pancakes him flat onto his back. oh well, we still won thanks to Coach Fran :D

PAW
5/9/2007, 10:05 AM
(Brown) seems to be a very intelligent ball runner, able to make gains out of "sure" stops with smart maneuvering.

Like Stoops said, he runs well through trash. Actually, there was probably "in a good way" in the statement somewhere.

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 10:32 AM
Patrick is still a home run threat and we've seen how tough he is. folks have already forgotten how he smoked oSu.

no we haven't, it's just not important anymore.

The_Red_Patriot
5/9/2007, 11:15 AM
Dont forget about Madu!

Collier11
5/9/2007, 11:27 AM
IMO without knowing any inside info, I think Patrick gets 20 carries a game, Murray will get 9-12 touches a game(not counting kick returns), and Brown will get about 8 touches. I think Madu will be moved to DB

Big Red Ron
5/9/2007, 01:26 PM
Here ya' go:

Allen Patrick spin move @ aTm 2006 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evkb2x9YDTA)Thanks, that is just sick talent. Patrick should get a shot in the NFL.

Desert Sapper
5/10/2007, 10:34 AM
Here ya' go:

Allen Patrick spin move @ aTm 2006 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evkb2x9YDTA)

Thanks, PAW. Still don't see it, even from the two different angles. He drove, drove, drove, pancaked #27. Zebras hate us.

MI Sooner
5/10/2007, 11:30 AM
Using SUC as an analogy, I see a Murray/Brown combo as somewhat akin to Bush/White. I think Patrick is somewhere between the two; he's not as elusive as Murray and not as powerful as Brown.

I think Murray is the best runner (at least in practice) by a good margin, however, ball security, receiver skills, and blocking can't be overlooked.

OSUAggie
5/10/2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks, PAW. Still don't see it, even from the two different angles. He drove, drove, drove, pancaked #27. Zebras hate us.

No wonder you guys boo so much.

Peterson's attempting to turn his body to go make the play but Malcolm is holding him.

MojoRisen
5/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Patrick is darn good, I am a fan of earning your spot - if you have 3 really solid backs- they can play hard on every down at 110% and not worry about wearing down in the 4th quarter.

we can be a lot more versatile - and teams will have a hardtime preparing for us.

There really isn't any more excuses to be conservative- Bradford should know the playbook by fall and we have capable backups.

I love winning but would like to see a little more sooner magic and trickery!

MojoRisen
5/10/2007, 12:52 PM
i

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2007, 01:08 PM
Patrick is a lot better than Kejuan. And Murray isn't as good as AD. But I probably agree. Murray could take the job away. He's going to be a better back then Patrick in the long run.

Murray and Peterson are two different types of rbs.

Peterson is a punisher.
Murray is an all-purpose back.

Yes, I think Peterson is better than Murray, but before we say for sure, lets give Murray a chance.

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Peterson is more than just a punisher. Talentwise there's only about 3 backs in OU history as good as Peterson. Murray could be really good but I doubt he's as good as AD.

OU4LIFE
5/10/2007, 01:15 PM

Peterson's attempting to turn his body to go make the play but Malcolm is holding him.

Dude, don't be a moran.

The flag came from behind Peterson, there is no way the ref that threw the flag could have seen Malcolms hands, therefor he had to make an assumption that Peterson was held. You don't do that shiat.....but then again you send your players onto the field through a cattle gate and think it's cool, so i'm sure logic makes NO sense to you.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2007, 01:17 PM
Peterson is more than just a punisher.

LOL....not really.

He will either run you over or spin around you. He is not a slasher type of runner. Murray has more moves.

Murray is also a better receiver at this point in his career than Peterson was.

There is a reason Murray is also working at the Slot and Peterson couldnt.

Don't get me wrong, Peterson is a specimen. A once in a lifetime running back. But like I said, he and Murray are totally different styles. Therefore it is unfair to even try to compare the two of them.

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 01:19 PM
So AD was a once in a lifetime back yet Murray is better?

We'll see how good Murray is when he plays, but I doubt he's capable of putting up 200 yards in a half or 150 yards in a quarter like AD did.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2007, 01:24 PM
So AD was a once in a lifetime back yet Murray is better?

I think you need to go back to school and take more reading courses along with reading comprehension courses.

Yes, I think Peterson is better than Murray, but before we say for sure, lets give Murray a chance.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2007, 01:26 PM
We'll see how good Murray is when he plays, but I doubt he's capable of putting up 200 yards in a half or 150 yards in a quarter like AD did.

Not taking anything away from Peterson...but when all you do is run the ball, you better make the yards. When in the last two years did OU throw more than they ran?

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 02:00 PM
I doubt that changes much this year. Our backs will still get about the same amount of carries they got last year because our most talented players are at RB. Kelly is the only receiver you can trust every down. And we'll have a young QB. It's always easier on a young QB if you run the ball a lot more. I bet early in the year we run it a lot more.

OU_Sooners75
5/10/2007, 02:04 PM
I doubt that changes much this year. Our backs will still get about the same amount of carries they got last year because our most talented players are at RB. Kelly is the only receiver you can trust every down. And we'll have a young QB. It's always easier on a young QB if you run the ball a lot more. I bet early in the year we run it a lot more.

I suppose you have forgotten about Iglesias and Johnson. I think you have forgotten sure handed Finley as well. Maybe Madu and Murray out of the backfield or from the slot.

I bet with Bradford, since he as been there for 2 years come this fall, the playbook wont be run, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass.

If they do that, then they make theirselves one dimension and easy to defend.

At some point you have to trust your recruits to get the job done. I can see more quick passes, like slant and curls.

LittleWingSooner
5/10/2007, 03:00 PM
I suppose you have forgotten about Iglesias and Johnson. I think you have forgotten sure handed Finley as well. Maybe Madu and Murray out of the backfield or from the slot.

I bet with Bradford, since he as been there for 2 years come this fall, the playbook wont be run, run, run, run, pass, run, run, run, run, pass.

If they do that, then they make theirselves one dimension and easy to defend.

At some point you have to trust your recruits to get the job done. I can see more quick passes, like slant and curls.

Iggy and Johnson are good players, Finley hasn't really been thrown to much. The first 3 or 4 games it'll probably be more run, run, run. Especially with a young quarterback.

JDawg2303
5/10/2007, 03:43 PM
I sure hope the Fiesta Bowl last year was a wake up call to Stoops. Get back to the basics when he came here! He always had a trick up his sleeve or was doing something out of the ordinary. At some point I think being successful got to his head and he and his crew became conservative. We need to get our swagger back and this is the perfect time to do it.

Desert Sapper
5/11/2007, 01:18 PM

I like this guy...he is a funny guy. I don't know how many games you've officiated, but if you make that call like that guy did, you could have made the same call about 100 times before that in the same game with offensive linemen from both teams. By the time Peterson hit the corner, the guy was on his way to the ground. Clean Pancake. Oh...and...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

goingoneight
5/11/2007, 09:40 PM
Using SUC as an analogy, I see a Murray/Brown combo as somewhat akin to Bush/White. I think Patrick is somewhere between the two; he's not as elusive as Murray and not as powerful as Brown.

I think Murray is the best runner (at least in practice) by a good margin, however, ball security, receiver skills, and blocking can't be overlooked.

Honest question... has anyone seen Murray fumble yet? I have yet to see him drop a pass, either... and all the brilliant sports talking heads on the Sports Animal keep saying his ball security is an issue. I thought he was brilliant in switching the ball over as he moved around different defensive schemes in the three scrimmages I saw.

goingoneight
5/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Iggy and Johnson are good players, Finley hasn't really been thrown to much. The first 3 or 4 games it'll probably be more run, run, run. Especially with a young quarterback.

We have the perfect oppurtunity to break in a n00b at QB, though. North Texas!!!

And keep in mind that without Iggy, we lose to Baylor in 2005, OSU in 2006, and get potatowned in the Fiesta before OT.

I definitely respect JI and feel like anyone in the country, USC, Texas, Florida, you name it would be damned lucky to have him. He's kinda like Mark Bradley, he makes mistakes, yeah... but everyone does. And as long as Malcom Kelly (in MB's case, Clayton) are at OU, he won't get the respect and recognition he deserves, making him the perfect weapon. How many people turned off the TV when Boise was killing us and Malcom Kelly was declared out for the rest of the game? My dad did, my sister did, all the OSU fans I talked to did until they heard we came back. A lot of people don't realize that Juaqin Iglesias stepped up for game time (PT) before Kelly did.

Bradford/Halzle/Nichol has too many weapons surrounding him to **** up badly. The only games we're likely to lose are considered 'maybes' in 2007. A lot of people are criticizing OUr defensive play in the spring game since the offense won big, but those were the same players in Reggie Smith, Nic Harris, Lewis Baker, Alonzo Dotson, etc. that embarassed the "worlds greatest offense" among others before the Fiasco Bowl. We have talent to go just about anywhere with the ball and be successful doing so in 2007.

Examples:

Run it in the I = Patrick/Brown/Murray
Shotgun back = Murray/Madu/Gute
Option = Patrick/Brown/Murray

Throw it = Malcom Kelly, Juaqin Iglesias, Manuel Johnson, Adron Tennell, Fred Strong, Quentin Chaney, Brandon Caleb, Joe John Finley, Brody Eldridge... Hello McFly!!! JERMAINE GRESHAM!!!

QB keeper = Bradford/Nichol

O's game is gonna be pretty secure with that All-Conference OL, too.

I don't think we'll have to get real tricky to win games on offense.

insuranceman_22
5/12/2007, 12:12 AM
I think Patrick begins the season as the starter, but as the year progress's Murray's carries will continue to rise. Murray has a chance to be the #1, but I think Patrick will hold the spot. I think Brown is used sparingly, he's got ability (no doubt about it), but the other two are more dangerous runners. Injuries or the inability to hold onto the ball very well may play a big part in who's starting and getting carries as the season goes.

LittleWingSooner
5/12/2007, 09:45 PM
We have the perfect oppurtunity to break in a n00b at QB, though. North Texas!!!

And keep in mind that without Iggy, we lose to Baylor in 2005, OSU in 2006, and get potatowned in the Fiesta before OT.

I definitely respect JI and feel like anyone in the country, USC, Texas, Florida, you name it would be damned lucky to have him. He's kinda like Mark Bradley, he makes mistakes, yeah... but everyone does. And as long as Malcom Kelly (in MB's case, Clayton) are at OU, he won't get the respect and recognition he deserves, making him the perfect weapon. How many people turned off the TV when Boise was killing us and Malcom Kelly was declared out for the rest of the game? My dad did, my sister did, all the OSU fans I talked to did until they heard we came back. A lot of people don't realize that Juaqin Iglesias stepped up for game time (PT) before Kelly did.

Bradford/Halzle/Nichol has too many weapons surrounding him to **** up badly. The only games we're likely to lose are considered 'maybes' in 2007. A lot of people are criticizing OUr defensive play in the spring game since the offense won big, but those were the same players in Reggie Smith, Nic Harris, Lewis Baker, Alonzo Dotson, etc. that embarassed the "worlds greatest offense" among others before the Fiasco Bowl. We have talent to go just about anywhere with the ball and be successful doing so in 2007.

Examples:

Run it in the I = Patrick/Brown/Murray
Shotgun back = Murray/Madu/Gute
Option = Patrick/Brown/Murray

Throw it = Malcom Kelly, Juaqin Iglesias, Manuel Johnson, Adron Tennell, Fred Strong, Quentin Chaney, Brandon Caleb, Joe John Finley, Brody Eldridge... Hello McFly!!! JERMAINE GRESHAM!!!

QB keeper = Bradford/Nichol

O's game is gonna be pretty secure with that All-Conference OL, too.

I don't think we'll have to get real tricky to win games on offense.

Just from watching every year get more and more conservative on offense. I'm almost convinced that the run first type of offense is the way Stoops wants us to go because he has so much confidence in defense winning championships. I hope wrong and we go to a style that throws it like we did in 2003. But I doubt it.

I_Live_In_OK
5/14/2007, 09:56 PM
I hope wrong and we go to a style that throws it like we did in 2003. But I doubt it.

You play to your strengths. In '03, OU had a Heisman trophy quarterback, two good running backs who could be used in screen passes, three future NFL wide receivers and another (Will Peoples) who had 83 career catches, despite being the fourth option his junior and senior seasons. The deftness of that team clearly was an offense catered to a pass balanced offense (around 55-45, pass heavier). The team that season averaged ~145 yards rushing per game, and the late season struggles are probably noted by everyone. The team had 538 rush attempts, compared to 480 pass attempts, but more than doubled its total output in production from the latter than the former. OU ranked 65th in rushing offense in 2003, a note that Bob Stoops consistently referred to in the offseason following that year when he stated a desire for a more balanced offense, with a higher emphasis on the running game.

The previous year, OU averaged ~190 yards rushing per game, on 591 attempts (in the same amount of games, or 42 carries per game). In 2002, OU had more carries than they did in 2003 (538, or 38 carries per game) and 2001 (388, or just 27 carries per game). What happened in 2002? Why was there a more emphasis to run? And why did that emphasis translate into superior production relative to each play ran? Why did that desire by the coaching staff to commit to the run game diminish in 2003? Keep in mind the 2003 OU team ran the ball a lot in most of the second halves of games because of very early blow outs.

It is because of personnel.

In 2007, OU returns four of its five regular starters on the offensive line, not including Trent Williams, who started in place of another injured starter, or Phil Loadhoalt, a challenger to Trent Williams. OU also returns Allen Patrick, a tough runner who had over 700 yards behind Adrian Peterson, a top draft pick, and Jacob Guttierez, giving them two senior veterans. OU also returns Chris Brown, who had over 300 yards and is breaking in DeMarco Murray, a promising talent who had over 100 yards on just four carries in the Spring Game.

The returning talent, combined with the clearly run-first attitude the team began to take mid-season on, leads me to believe OU will begin the year wanting to establish the run. OU also, on the other hand, returns a deep and experienced wide receiver unit, as well as two quarterbacks who could be categorized as competent drop-back passers when given time. They also return two tall and athletic tight ends who are a threat each time they are on the field, and especially on 2nd and long, and 3rd downs.

But it is in my estimation that the 2007 OU team will, in its advantage and its will, commit to the run and, unless otherwise be forced into situations where it must pass as a lone option, will run first and pass second on a consistent measure.

I_Live_In_OK
5/14/2007, 10:14 PM
I'm almost convinced that the run first type of offense is the way Stoops wants us to go because he has so much confidence in defense winning championships.

Or because he has so much confidence in an experienced and completely gelled offensive line, to accompany the deepest set of running backs he has had at OU since 2004.

LittleWingSooner
5/14/2007, 10:14 PM
You play to your strengths. In '03, OU had a Heisman trophy quarterback, two good running backs who could be used in screen passes, three future NFL wide receivers and another (Will Peoples) who had 83 career catches, despite being the fourth option his junior and senior seasons. The deftness of that team clearly was an offense catered to a pass balanced offense (around 55-45, pass heavier). The team that season averaged ~145 yards rushing per game, and the late season struggles are probably noted by everyone. The team had 538 rush attempts, compared to 480 pass attempts, but more than doubled its total output in production from the latter than the former. OU ranked 65th in rushing offense in 2003, a note that Bob Stoops consistently referred to in the offseason following that year when he stated a desire for a more balanced offense, with a higher emphasis on the running game.

The previous year, OU averaged ~190 yards rushing per game, on 591 attempts (in the same amount of games, or 42 carries per game). In 2002, OU had more carries than they did in 2003 (538, or 38 carries per game) and 2001 (388, or just 27 carries per game). What happened in 2002? Why was there a more emphasis to run? And why did that emphasis translate into superior production relative to each play ran? Why did that desire by the coaching staff to commit to the run game diminish in 2003? Keep in mind the 2003 OU team ran the ball a lot in most of the second halves of games because of very early blow outs.

It is because of personnel.

In 2007, OU returns four of its five regular starters on the offensive line, not including Trent Williams, who started in place of another injured starter, or Phil Loadhoalt, a challenger to Trent Williams. OU also returns Allen Patrick, a tough runner who had over 700 yards behind Adrian Peterson, a top draft pick, and Jacob Guttierez, giving them two senior veterans. OU also returns Chris Brown, who had over 300 yards and is breaking in DeMarco Murray, a promising talent who had over 100 yards on just four carries in the Spring Game.

The returning talent, combined with the clearly run-first attitude the team began to take mid-season on, leads me to believe OU will begin the year wanting to establish the run. OU also, on the other hand, returns a deep and experienced wide receiver unit, as well as two quarterbacks who could be categorized as competent drop-back passers when given time. They also return two tall and athletic tight ends who are a threat each time they are on the field, and especially on 2nd and long, and 3rd downs.

But it is in my estimation that the 2007 OU team will, in its advantage and its will, commit to the run and, unless otherwise be forced into situations where it must pass as a lone option, will run first and pass second on a consistent measure.

I think there is some truth there, but I also think we haven't really used our strengths in the passing game well since White left. We even tried to use our passing game more when Heupel left with Hybl and White were basically unknowns. But our strengths this year are at running back and with a strong offensive line. I think that's what we have to use the most. We have 3 really good backs. And one great receiver and are completely unproven at QB.

birddog
5/14/2007, 10:24 PM
We have 3 really good backs. And one great receiver and are completely unproven at QB.

so, why should we open up the passing game now? this would be the time to control the clock and wear down the opponents' defense, which would obviously allow our defense to be in tip-top shape near the end of the game.

I_Live_In_OK
5/14/2007, 10:25 PM
I think there is some truth there, but I also think we haven't really used our strengths in the passing game well since White left.

Well, if you consider our options at quarterback since White left, Rhett Bomar and Paul Thompson, that OU's fortuity at the position has slightly been inferior, to understate it a bit. Also take into consideration that OU had very poor offensive line play in 2005, along with being forced to play true freshmen wide receivers because of two senior receivers suffering from injury, then you can see the position Stoops is in regarding making the most of a passing game. Let us not forget that, in the same time span, OU had on its roster a running back that is nicknamed "All Day," because he can shoulder carry after carry. In 2006, I thought OU's strength in the passing game was Malcolm Kelly and some good tight ends. Kelly's highlight reel was as impressive as some of Paul Thompson's passes were off target. I will definitely agree with you, and this is echoed by Kevin Wilson's offseason comments, that the tight ends were underused last season, when you consider their talent and how it fits the schemes. I am obviously underappreciating the role Iglesias and Johnson played, but only to prove the point that they were inconsistent at times, combined with Paul's limited time during the offseason to get in sync with the team's wide receivers.

Big Red Ron
5/14/2007, 11:09 PM
so, why should we open up the passing game now? this would be the time to control the clock and wear down the opponents' defense, which would obviously allow our defense to be in tip-top shape near the end of the game.Why bother? It's an obvious point you are making but some people are just goofy-minded.

illinisooner
5/15/2007, 12:08 AM
I sure hope the Fiesta Bowl last year was a wake up call to Stoops. Get back to the basics when he came here! He always had a trick up his sleeve or was doing something out of the ordinary. At some point I think being successful got to his head and he and his crew became conservative. We need to get our swagger back and this is the perfect time to do it.

I was hoping for a similar wakeup call after USC and TCU! In fairness to Stoops, however, he has had two first year starters the past two years, so a more wide open offense hasn't been as much of a concern as just getting the basics down. The 4th and 1 call at Aggieland was a return of the Stoops swagger though. This year, the "out of the ordinairy" play will most likely be Murray/Madu lining up in the slot and possibly coming in motion behind the line...like Peterson did in the Fiesta Bowl. Since that has been mentioned so many times though, I'm not sure if it qualifies as tricky.

Side note, on the Patrick run at Kyle Field, I was in the top row of the end zone and didn't see the flag until the play was over. So for a few seconds I thought we had seen the highlight of the year! And on Kelly's hold/block, Peterson is trying to turn his body but can't because...he's being pancaked! The holding call is debatable at best.

jkjsooner
5/15/2007, 09:16 PM
This much is true... rememebr all of the OSU fans who wanted that "damn kid Barry Sanders" out of the ball game so they could see Thurman play? You never know when you have a diamond in the rough, or another turd in the punch bowl (cough!!! BOMAR!!! cough!!!)

Um, sorry, but you have that wrong. Barry played after Thomas.

The OSU fans said that they wouldn't miss Thomas because Sanders was better. I laughed. They were right.

sanantoniosooner
5/15/2007, 09:19 PM

The OSU fans said that they wouldn't miss Thomas because Sanders was better. I laughed. They were right.
Switzer told the team not to hurt Thomas because Sanders was better.

Big Red Ron
5/15/2007, 09:37 PM

The OSU fans said that they wouldn't miss Thomas because Sanders was better. I laughed. They were right.Ricky Williams, is that you? Pot will do that to memory cells. ;)

jkjsooner
5/19/2007, 11:10 AM
Ricky Williams, is that you? Pot will do that to memory cells. ;)

I'm confused. Are you saying I'm wrong?

Thurman Thomas went pro in 1988. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurman_Thomas

Barry Sanders went pro in 1989.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Not too much pot here....

Big Red Ron
5/19/2007, 11:17 AM
I'm confused. Are you saying I'm wrong?

Thurman Thomas went pro in 1988. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurman_Thomas

Barry Sanders went pro in 1989.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Not too much pot here....Quoted the wrong post.

LittleWingSooner
5/19/2007, 11:25 AM
Well, if you consider our options at quarterback since White left, Rhett Bomar and Paul Thompson, that OU's fortuity at the position has slightly been inferior, to understate it a bit.

I know both Hybl and White proved to be better than PT or Bomar. But White was a young pup no one knew a thing about as far as what he'll do in college. Hybl only played in blowouts and didn't really play that well. Paul Thompson took more career snaps going into the 2005 season than Hybl had taken going into 2001. Also add to that, Bomar was higher recruited then any QB OU's had under Stoops.

And you can make excuses like the receivers were better in 01. But the talent with our receivers was a lot better in 05. And our line was a lot better also. Lets face it the playcalling in 05 was more conservative. And last year it was even more conservative.

Big Red Ron
5/19/2007, 11:44 AM
And last year it was even more conservative.It sorta had to be since we only had one D1 QB on our team. Thompson gets hurt and there is no way we win the Big XII.

Punditone
5/19/2007, 11:52 AM
I think that a good part of the conservative play calling has to do with the fact that the Sooners seem to have a new Offensive Coordinator every couple of years. When Stoops first came to OU, his OC was that whack job that coaches at Tech now. He certainly was never accused of being too conservative. When he left, it seems that several plays that had been quite successful in the past were dropped from the playbook. When was the last time you saw the Sooners use the Shovel (Utah) pass? Or the direct snap to the wide receiver in motion.

Big Red Ron
5/19/2007, 12:16 PM
Wilson, has a very good scheme

Big Red Ron
5/19/2007, 12:17 PM
NM

Big Red Ron
5/19/2007, 12:19 PM
When Stoops first came to OU, his OC was that whack job that coaches at Tech now.

When was the last time you saw the Sooners use the Shovel (Utah) pass? Whack Job? Mike Leach is the most under rated coach in CF. If Stoops left (God forbid), he'd be my first choice. What he's done at Tech is just amazing.

The last time I saw the shovel pass was against Baylor a few years ago. Hybl threw it to a Baylor D-lineman. I think Bob was done after that.

I never saw the direct snap to a reciever in motion.

Seamus
5/19/2007, 12:31 PM
Mike Stoops would be my first choice, but as long as we could maintain a serious defensive presence, a Leach offense here would be unstoppable.

LittleWingSooner
5/19/2007, 12:35 PM
I never liked Leach's offense. It always seems to not be able to score against really talented teams in big games.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 12:46 PM
I never liked Leach's offense. It always seems to not be able to score against really talented teams in big games.
If it was balanced with a good defense it wouldn't be a problem.

LittleWingSooner
5/19/2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, but that offense is never really balanced.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 12:55 PM
I meant that it was complimented with a good defense.

:rolleyes:

SoonerSinger3
5/19/2007, 02:01 PM
Kevin Wilson is just a mediocre play caller IMO...he plays are way too predicatable..maybe just because i'm a die hard fan and I am informed about what we run, but about 80 percent of the time I know if it's gonna be a pass, play action, run, etc...kevin needs to start getting more aggressive with his play calling...i mean hell do you guys remember that play we had in the fiesta bowl where we had patrick in the backfield and adrian going in motion? if i recall that play usually gained good yardage..where was that formation before adrian got hurt??? i just think we don't utilize our talent like we should...way too predictable...hopefully it'll change this year

LittleWingSooner
5/19/2007, 02:03 PM
I think Stoops wants an offense that will go 3 and out running the ball and run about 2 minutes off and have his defense win the rest of the game. That's just based on the last 3 seasons with our playcalling.

sanantoniosooner
5/19/2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe some of you might have noticed a difference when AD wasn't the featured back.

We don't have any backs of his caliber, but our playcalling seemed a lot more diverse when he wasn't in the line up.

Collier11
5/19/2007, 02:27 PM
LWS, do you just feel like your day wont be truly fulfilled without making some ludicrous statement about our football team. It is obvious that the last two years our playcalling has been held back a little because of our qb situation. Your statements just border on craziness every single time!

LittleWingSooner
5/19/2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know if our QB situation was any different from what it was going into 2001. We had a older QB that was probably limited in throwing some passes and a younger QB with potential, that could probably make most passes. The way the 2 situations were handled were completely different. And the play calling was just to keep the ball out of the hands of the QB in the last couple of seasons. The Bomar thing didn't help. But he was a lot less stable then White was.

Punditone
5/19/2007, 06:45 PM
I agree that Mike Leach is a fine college football coach. He is also a few french fries short of a happy meal.

My brother (who remembers better than I) tells me it was not a direct snap to the wide reciever, but that Heupel would be under center, the wide receiver would start in motion, the ball would be snapped to Heupel who would turn and hand it to the wide receiver. I can see how the timing would be easier that way.