PDA

View Full Version : Altus, Oklahoma

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 11:05 AM
There is a potentially interesting job opportunity there. Can anybody fill me in on Altus? TIA

achiro
5/8/2007, 11:07 AM
There is a potentially interesting job opportunity there. Can anybody fill me in on Altus? TIA
Sand, mesquite, thorns, and an airforce base.

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 11:08 AM
Sand, mesquite, thorns, and an airforce base.
Is it close to any of the bigger cities in Oklahoma?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2007, 11:09 AM
Hot, lots of irrigated cotton (may be turning to corn), did I say hot?, some large scale irrigated farmers and the people are really good and nice. I did a summer there (and western Oklahoma) interviewing farmers for a Geography prof doing research on farmland practices. Oh and did I say hot?

TMcGee86
5/8/2007, 11:10 AM
Is it close to any of the bigger cities in Oklahoma?

Not unless you consider Lawton a big city.

It's in a very unique part of the state though, very cool mountains and state parks.

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 11:11 AM
Hot, lots of irrigated cotton (may be turning to corn), did I say hot?, some large scale irrigated farmers and the people are really good and nice. I did a summer there (and western Oklahoma) interviewing farmers for a Geography prof doing research on farmland practices. Oh and did I say hot?
Irrigated Crops are right down my alley.

Boomer.....
5/8/2007, 11:11 AM
It's :hot:!

HskrGrl
5/8/2007, 11:12 AM
I have a good friend that lives in Altus (her husband is in the airforce). She hates it. She's always telling me about how far she has to drive to get to a good doctor, dentist, hosptial, shopping, etc.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2007, 11:14 AM
Irrigated Crops are right down my alley.

Then you would know if I say they use mostly use flood irrigation and some drop irrigation systems. Center Pivot, not so much (at least that was 12 years ago)...Most cotton was flood irrigated.

SoonerProphet
5/8/2007, 11:19 AM
It is where my parents met in high school.

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 11:21 AM
Then you would know if I say they use mostly use flood irrigation and some drop irrigation systems. Center Pivot, not so much (at least that was 12 years ago)...Most cotton was flood irrigated.
Flood irrigation is more efficient if you have the water and labor, or you have very little water. Depending on how much they can pump and available labor, it may have shifted to pivots. Flood irrigation is dying out in Nebraska because of water restrictions and labor, that and all the main pivot companies are from Nebraska.

MamaMia
5/8/2007, 11:35 AM
They have a lot of crop dusters and cotton fields, so I would take a mask.

leavingthezoo
5/8/2007, 11:37 AM
i visit family in altus often, and each time i swear to never go back.

it's hot. :D

Ardmore_Sooner
5/8/2007, 11:37 AM
A pretty girl behind every tree! :D

MamaMia
5/8/2007, 11:45 AM
Don't drink the water.

swardboy
5/8/2007, 12:04 PM
Lived in Altus around '79-'81....one summer it was 115 for a few days in a row. Remember running to Henrys chinese food in Vernon, tx. Quartz MT. State Park was kinda cool...loved hiking to the top. I think 3 hours to DFW area... two hours to OKC...hour to Lawton.....nowhere else to go though.

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2007, 12:07 PM
always seems to be the extreme temperature for the entire state, whether hot or cold

not much out there

sooneron
5/8/2007, 12:13 PM
I dated a real psycho from there. Her dad owned one of the bigger businesses there. We visited him once in three years (for two hours).

The quartz Mountain dealio is pretty nice though. When it's really dry, you can see part of the town that they flooded to accommodate yet, another lake.

It's usually pretty dry. As in REALLY dry. I think I would rather go to Wichitittay Falls before Lawton for health care. Did I just say that?

achiro
5/8/2007, 12:18 PM
a real psycho from there.
Heat will do that to ya

TUSooner
5/8/2007, 12:22 PM
My dad was the CO of the Altus AFB hospital long ago. I visited him there once. It's just a few miles past the edge of the middle of nowhere.

Tiptonsooner
5/8/2007, 12:22 PM
I own a business in Altus and live about 20 miles south of there. As everyone has stated, hottest and coldest place in the state. Nothing to do unless you hunt and fish or work all of the time.

Center pivots are taking over for irrigation in areas away frow the irrigation canals. It has been extemely dry the last seven years, that seems to have broken though.

Altus is growing some, thats kind of relative though. As long as people consume wheat, cotton and need pilots trained, Altus will steadily grow.

Soonrboy
5/8/2007, 12:25 PM
isn't Kelly Garrison from Altus?

Tiptonsooner
5/8/2007, 12:32 PM
yep, I have a story or two about her......some other time.

C&CDean
5/8/2007, 01:07 PM
Altus is a head & shoulders above anywhere in Nebraska. Go.

Soonrboy
5/8/2007, 01:09 PM
yep, I have a story or two about her......some other time.

yeah, I do too...she liked, ummm, attention

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/8/2007, 01:16 PM
I used to do some contract work in Snyder (just a few miles east) at the rock quarry. I would have rather taken a kick in the crotch as to go out there.

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 01:18 PM
if you're a big fan of flat, then by all means, go.

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 01:19 PM
I used to do some contract work in Snyder (just a few miles east) at the rock quarry. I would have rather taken a kick in the crotch as to go out there.

you really shouldn't tell people where you bury the bodies dude, bad form.

Paperclip
5/8/2007, 01:25 PM
OKC>Altus' anagram

apusooner
5/8/2007, 01:26 PM
one of the hottest girls i ever met was from altus.

FaninAma
5/8/2007, 01:28 PM
if you're a big fan of flat, then by all means, go.

Dude, he's from Nebraska! Their tallest point in the state is a pile of rocks about 30 feet high near Scottsbluff.

I grew up on the east side of Altus lake(or Lugert Lake). It's a great place to be a kid. And it's not much hotter than OKC with a lot less humidity.

It's a small town. If you don't like small town life don't go to Altus.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/8/2007, 01:41 PM
you really shouldn't tell people where you bury the bodies dude, bad form.

well, you could say "I buried 10 bodies outside of Altus." and the authorities would say "Screw that, Im not going out there to dig em up...lets just pretend you never said anything."

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 01:45 PM
Dude, he's from Nebraska! Their tallest point in the state is a pile of rocks about 30 feet high near Scottsbluff.

I grew up on the east side of Altus lake(or Lugert Lake). It's a great place to be a kid. And it's not much hotter than OKC with a lot less humidity.

It's a small town. If you don't like small town life don't go to Altus.
I looked up Altus, on the innerweb. At 21K in population, that's a big town in my book.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2007, 02:17 PM
I own a business in Altus and live about 20 miles south of there. As everyone has stated, hottest and coldest place in the state. Nothing to do unless you hunt and fish or work all of the time.

Center pivots are taking over for irrigation in areas away frow the irrigation canals. It has been extemely dry the last seven years, that seems to have broken though.

Altus is growing some, thats kind of relative though. As long as people consume wheat, cotton and need pilots trained, Altus will steadily grow. In '78, I spent a few weeks on some temporary business, and picked up a kitten at the pound(long story). Unique place, but aren't they all?

CORNholio
5/8/2007, 06:36 PM
http://www.ok.gov/user_images/quartzmtnspringpub600450.jpg
That be is ye grande ole lake o'Altus.

If you gotta live in western Oklahoma I guess altus is as good as any.
Be prepared for soulcrushing-nothingness and sunscorched heat in the summer and 40 mph freezerburned wind in the winter. Other than that its gravy.

oumartin
5/8/2007, 06:53 PM
who is Kelly Garrison?

Soonrboy
5/8/2007, 08:12 PM
gymnast from OU..was on the Olympic team 88 or 92??

bluedogok
5/8/2007, 09:00 PM
My parents grew up there, I was born there but grew up in OKC. I still have some extended family there but most of the closer Altus family moved to Nashville in the late 70's or Wichita Falls, so we have only been through there for funerals for my grandfather and aunt in recent years. My uncle was a cotton farmer who sold out in the late 70's or early 80's, I think the family still owns the car wash close to downtown.

Lawton has added quite a bit in the past few years, so what you used to have to go to OKC for you can go to Lawton for most of it. It ain't much of a place for big city folk, but if you think 21,000 is big, you'll do just fine there. Not a bad place, better than some and not as nice as others just like every other place.

Kelly Garrison was on the 1988 Olympic team.

jccouger
5/8/2007, 09:02 PM
OKC>Tulsa

I had to start it.

CORNholio
5/8/2007, 11:26 PM
Altus>Tulsa

SoonerTerry
5/9/2007, 01:27 AM
Whats the interesting job?.. I'm wonderin if it's the one I just left

Sooner24
5/9/2007, 08:30 AM
There are three things about Altus you should know. 1. It's not the end of the the Earth but you can see it from there. 2. There's a pretty girl behind every tree. 3. It's a good place to be from.

Sooner24
5/9/2007, 08:32 AM
One more thing

Thackerville>Tulsa

royalfan5
5/9/2007, 08:56 AM
Whats the interesting job?.. I'm wonderin if it's the one I just left
Ag finance

Petro-Sooner
5/9/2007, 11:00 AM
I was watching the news the other day and they were showing I believe some small college softball highlights. They showed Western Oklahoma College. Being from here I thought I had heard of every college in the state. Not so. Evidently this school is in Altus. Learn something new everyday.

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 11:16 AM
Learn something new everyday.

Not me, I've only got so much room. I try to forget something every day.

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 11:40 AM
I love Altus. My wife and her family are from there and it is a basically a "big small town". Everyone knows everyone else, yet it isn't the big city or full of commuters to the big city. One bonus is that you can buy a piece of land and still live fairly close to work. The hunting in that area has exploded with deer hunters from the east coast paying $3k per gun for a hunt.

Oh yeah, it is hella hot during the summer. Not too much humidity though.

XingTheRubicon
5/9/2007, 11:47 AM
soul crushing nothingness?

nice work

Zbird
5/9/2007, 08:59 PM
Is it close to any of the bigger cities in Oklahoma? About half way between Lawton , OK and Wichita Falls , TX

SoonerTerry
5/9/2007, 10:37 PM
Ag finance

not the one I left..

Xstnlsooner
5/10/2007, 08:01 AM
ALL YOU WANKERS BUSTIN ON TULSA CAN JUST BITE IT!!

heh

BoogercountySooner
5/10/2007, 10:46 AM
My wife was bornin Altus. Spent lot's of weekends there visiting her grandmother. One word Boring!