5/8/2007, 11:05 AM
:kelvin:

Scott D
5/8/2007, 11:06 AM
this decade...ywia

Beef
5/8/2007, 11:07 AM
this decade...ywia
:eddie: NOT AN OPTION FOR 3 MORE YEARS!!!!

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 11:08 AM
I voted for both.

Vaevictis
Sorry, no amount of awesomeness could possibly make up for the crappiness to date.

This decade, hands down.

Scott D
:eddie: NOT AN OPTION FOR 3 MORE YEARS!!!!

:les: IT HAS 7 YEARS OF SUCK THAT IS MORE THAN THE 20 YEARS OF SUCK BEFORE IT!

yermom
5/8/2007, 11:12 AM
yeah, the oughts can take the 80's and 90's i'm afraid

there are a few bands that kinda make up for it though

crimsonrules
5/8/2007, 11:22 AM
I grew up in the 90's, and the decade absolutely sucked for music! All the so-called "angst", "grunge", and "alternative" crap was terrible! From trench-coat mafia's to "Seattle-Starbucks-Sucks" garbage got old! Not to mention the same decade that gave us boy-bands, and Britney Spears! Glad they're gone!

Scott D
5/8/2007, 11:24 AM
I grew up in the 90's, and the decade absolutely sucked for music! All the so-called "angst", "grunge", and "alternative" crap was terrible! From trench-coat mafia's to "Seattle-Starbucks-Sucks" garbage got old! Not to mention the same decade that gave us boy-bands, and Britney Spears! Glad they're gone!

psst... "boy-bands" date back to the 50s.

yermom
5/8/2007, 11:26 AM

it's good that you like crimson :mad:

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 11:27 AM
the 80's the worst ever ...it got better int he 90's and it sucks now

OU4LIFE
5/8/2007, 11:31 AM
oh dear Lord, at least the 80's had AC/DC.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/8/2007, 11:40 AM
Without 80's music, The Wedding Singer would have been terrible.

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 11:46 AM
yeah, but the newer versions are exponentially worse.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
5/8/2007, 11:59 AM
This decade owns the others in suckiness...sad thing is, they way the music industry is, it won't be the worst for long...Thanks 2010's!!!

yermom
5/8/2007, 11:59 AM
oh dear Lord, at least the 80's had AC/DC.

and Guns N Roses

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 12:00 PM
and Guns N Roses
Both those bands suck ****

yermom
5/8/2007, 12:01 PM
i love the '90's i touched Scott Stapp's hand

yeah, and you still touch yourself with it, don't you?

sooneron
5/8/2007, 12:01 PM
This decade is far worse than the 90's. Crimsonrules should have tried something other than mtv for music

TUSooner
5/8/2007, 12:18 PM
I think he meant cheezy-ghey-sissy-poser boy bands. Maybe

yermom
5/8/2007, 12:19 PM
like the Monkees? :D

Sooner98
5/8/2007, 12:32 PM
The 80's >> everything else

Beef
5/8/2007, 12:33 PM
Ugly Kid Joe makes the 90's crappier than every other decade and every decade to come.

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 12:34 PM
The 80's >> everything else
I'm a product of the 80's and I wont make that claim.

the 60's and 70's are my favorite decades.

crawfish
5/8/2007, 12:37 PM
I love the 80's - but there's a lot of crap I love just because I grew up then.

The best decade is usually the one you had your teenage/college years during.
The worst is the one that produced your parents' music.

Pricetag
5/8/2007, 12:49 PM
The decades were strikingly similar. They both started out with a couple of years pretty much the same as the decade before, had a strong middle part where there was some real creativity, and degenerated into pop crap at the end. I like the '80s pop crap version better, so I went with the '90s as the worse decade.

silverwheels
5/8/2007, 12:52 PM
Mainstream radio has been worthless for quite a few years now, which is why this decade will end up being the worst.

I'll go with the 90's, even though I grew up listening to that stuff.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/8/2007, 01:01 PM
http://991.com/newGallery/Celine-Dion-Celine-Dion-237213.jpg
The 90s made this woman a star.

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 01:24 PM

What I stated in my post immediately before yours was exactly the opposite.:D

Tear Down This Wall
5/8/2007, 01:37 PM
The fackin' 90s sucked bad. Hair bands killed heavy metal in the early 90s...we had to pretend Nirvana was something more than just whiney, heroin-laced jackoffs for a few years there...N'Sync and all of that crap...Mambo No. 5....

Dio
5/8/2007, 01:40 PM
Agreed that the 00's suck worse than the 90's, which sucked incredibly hard.

proud gonzo
5/8/2007, 01:42 PM

The worst is the one that produced your parents' music.i disagree 100%

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 02:10 PM
as of this post, it appears that 11 people misread the poll.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/8/2007, 02:34 PM
The only good thing about the 90's was the first few years still had some good alternative music....early REM, Pixies, Love and Rockets, The Call, The Church, The Alarm, Big Audio Dynamite, plus some good stuff out of Texas like Deep Blue Something and Tripping Daisy, (some of these were probably very late 80's)...some damn fine music and still some of my favorite stuff.

The later 90's sucked beyond belief.

crawfish
5/8/2007, 02:44 PM
i disagree 100%

You're both weirdos. :rolleyes:

I said, "usually"...

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 02:46 PM
well you're a poopy face.

sooneron
5/8/2007, 02:50 PM
The only good thing about the 90's was the first few years still had some good alternative music....early REM, Pixies, Love and Rockets, The Call, The Church, The Alarm, Big Audio Dynamite, plus some good stuff out of Texas like Deep Blue Something and Tripping Daisy, (some of these were probably very late 80's)...some damn fine music and still some of my favorite stuff.

The later 90's sucked beyond belief.
I spekked you , but I think there was still some great stuff later on in the 90's. Radiohead - OK Computer, Lips- Soft Bulletin, Chemical Bros- Surrender, Beck - Midnite Vultures, Apples In Stereo - Her Wallpaper Reverie, Fatboy Slim- You've come a long..., Cake - Prolonging The Magic, Pavement - Brighten the Corners, etc...

slickdawg
5/8/2007, 03:15 PM
After the release of Use Your Illusion of I and II, the 90's pretty much went to hell, with a few exceptions.

royalfan5
5/8/2007, 03:49 PM
The third wave of ska has to be a strike against the 90's as well.

ChickSoonerFan
5/8/2007, 04:27 PM
i disagree 100%

make that 200% because I disagree too!

but I know many people who love the music from their high school daze.

maybe depends on how much fun you had in hs and college?

70's music is my favorite in general. Not that anybody asked.

rufnek05
5/8/2007, 04:28 PM

a damnedable lie!!!!! i'mn going to college right now and most of the new music (excluding tool Foo Fighters, RHCP) sucks balls. my parents listened to 60's and 70's music, and i still listen to it. the 90's sucked execpt for Rage against the machine, and a few others.

but IMHO this decades music won't stand the test of time like the 60's, 70's and 80's music has.

Cam
5/8/2007, 09:09 PM
Thank goodness this one isn't a close vote.

goingoneight
5/9/2007, 01:36 AM
This alone makes all the N'SYNCs and Britneys go away... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tfOf7Wqaw&mode=related&search=)

:)

Frozen Sooner
5/9/2007, 01:54 AM
There was plenty of great music being made in both the 80s and 90s. It may not have been topping the charts, but it was still great music.

Octavian
5/9/2007, 01:57 AM
meh.

ease up on crawfish....what he said is true for a majority of people in every generation. Most kids just tune into the radio and like what they become familiar with and what their "cool" friends like.

They'll think their music is awesome at the time....and think their parents are square and boring....so their music must be too.

anyways....

The Eighties had no Zeppelin...or Beatles. No major revolutionaries, save Eazy-E (or maybe Madonna).

They had a bunch of forgettable hair bands that no one will listen to once their generation is pushing daisies.

The early '90s were a musical revolution...an explosion of creativity...a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

As long as people keep living...Nirvana will live...and they're far from the '90s' best. They'll represent an artistic renaissance of substance over style.

The '80s have Poison.

The only thing the '80s have over the '90s is their version of Michael Jackson.

Frozen Sooner
5/9/2007, 03:03 AM
The 80s spawned Metallica-and though they went downhill in the 90s, their first three albums carved out a new genre of rock.

While Dire Straits was formed in 1977, they started getting recognition in the US in the 80s, and they were pretty damn good. Sure, they ain't the Beatles or Zepp, or even Floyd, but they made some great music.

Off the top of my head, here's a list of performers that I, at least, associate with the 80s that were making some really good music:

The Beastie Boys, B-52s, The Cure, INXS, U2, Tom Petty, Public Enemy, The Smiths, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Steve Winwood.

Which isn't to say that the 90s was crappy for music. Everyone seems to always want to dump on the previous two decades as the suckhole of music, no matter what time period you're in. Everyone thought the 70s and 80s sucked in the 90s.

The 90s produced some great music as well, though it did seem to peter out towards the end. I'm sure that when this decade is over, we'll be able to look back and see that there actually was some good stuff out there. Again, it's not about what's necessarily on the radio.

Octavian
5/9/2007, 03:13 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4238/nirvanakurt3th5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1198/pjlive20010704ke4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

>

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/917/warrantsm3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8964/rattye2yu7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Octavian
5/9/2007, 03:37 AM
The 90s produced some great music as well, though it did seem to peter out towards the end.

definitely.

The '90s were really affected by the deaths and/or self-destructive nature of some of its most creative and influential commercial superstars.

Nirvana
Tupac
Stone Temple Pilots
Blind Melon
BIG
Alice in Chains
Smashing Pumpkins

...just a few.

The second half of the '90s seemed to be a deliberate shift away from all the Gangsta Rap/heroin induced Alternative Rock of the early decade.

It was way more pop-ish on both fronts: N-Sync, Puff Daddy, Britney Spears, etc.

But from about '91-'95/'96....pure gold.

crawfish
5/9/2007, 07:47 AM
ease up on crawfish....what he said is true for a majority of people in every generation. Most kids just tune into the radio and like what they become familiar with and what their "cool" friends like.

They'll think their music is awesome at the time....and think their parents are square and boring....so their music must be too.

That's my point. It doesn't matter how good (or bad) the quality of the music is...when you're young and experiencing life for the first time, the feelings associated with those experiences are enhanced, and the music that's playing during those experiences gains a special meaning. Thus, even if the music sucks you still remember it fondly.

Spray
5/9/2007, 07:56 AM
I've got 400 CDs in my living room that tell me I found plenty to listen to from the 80s and 90s.

frankensooner
5/9/2007, 09:50 AM
I think the late 80's killed the awesomeness that was the early 80's. The 90's had too much Whitney and Mariah and warbly pop for my tastes, although there was some good grunge and alternative music, so I vote it a push.

Scott D
5/9/2007, 10:27 AM
meh.

(lots of stuff I don't feel like quoting)

The only thing the '80s have over the '90s is their version of Michael Jackson.

Quit ducking the real point....does this decade suck more than either of those two decades alone or combined? :)

Beef
5/9/2007, 11:14 AM
Quit ducking the real point....does this decade suck more than either of those two decades alone or combined? :)
The benefit of this decade over the previous 2 is the good music that's out there is a lot more accessible and easier to find than before.

Dio
5/9/2007, 11:18 AM
Saying Poison sums up the 80's is like saying Bret Romar sums up OU.

Fugue
5/9/2007, 11:36 AM
voted wrong, 90's were way more crappierer

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/9/2007, 11:44 AM
not changing the subject of music, but what the hell was the 90's identity? Every decade has had an identity, but the 90's....I cant think of one.

some examples:

60's - rebellion, teen angst.
70's - hippies, free love, drugs.
80's - new wave, yuppie, bad fashion.
90's - .....flannel?

def_lazer_fc
5/9/2007, 11:48 AM
the nineties gave us C and C Music Factory and GNF'nR. the eighties can suck it.

Beef
5/9/2007, 11:55 AM
not changing the subject of music, but what the hell was the 90's identity? Every decade has had an identity, but the 90's....I cant think of one.

some examples:

90's - Blake & ***************
:texan:

def_lazer_fc
5/9/2007, 12:01 PM

some examples:

90's - .....flannel?

i'd like to add that the 60s were also about drugs. and the eighties. hell, one could argue that anything good musically ever created was influenced by drugs. except maybe minor threat.

and not only did the 90's have flannel, but it also had...uh...combat boots?

r5TPsooner
5/9/2007, 12:15 PM
this decade...ywia

yep.

proud gonzo
5/9/2007, 03:11 PM
i
and not only did the 90's have flannel, but it also had...uh...combat boots?angst

Viking Kitten
5/9/2007, 03:21 PM
angst

Smirking irony.

1stTimeCaller
5/9/2007, 03:51 PM
I know we're not talking country music because I really dig the Red Dirt and TX Country sound whereas the Nashville sound has been blowing chunks, thank you Garth Brooks.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/9/2007, 04:30 PM
I know we're not talking country music because I really dig the Red Dirt and TX Country sound whereas the Nashville sound has been blowing chunks, thank you Garth Brooks.

Me too.

I've been wearing out:

Mickey and the Motorcars - Aint in it for the Money and Careless

Mike McClure - Everything Upside Down

No Justice - Far from Everything

Stoney Larue - Red Dirt Album

anything else I should look at?

Cam
5/9/2007, 08:52 PM
I vote 85-95/96 better the other years.

GNR started in the 80's, not the 90's.

King Crimson
5/9/2007, 09:11 PM
nashville has been blowing chunks for 30 years at least.

there was a lot of good, innovative, influential music in both decades--though not in mainstream radio. i bought hella lot of more stuff in the 80's than 90's though. but very little of what I'm talking about is in this thread.

people also have this bizarre selective memory about the 80's MTV. 90% of the stuff on MTV sucked out loud. get over the nostalgia and the grunge stereotypes.

most of these threads should read: "when i was in my later teens and in college and that was the music i liked then...and is thereby the best". YWIA. ;)

there's always good music. people should be asking themselves, the RIAA and the FCC, why is it so gawdamned hard to find?

soonerboomer93
5/9/2007, 09:20 PM
a damnedable lie!!!!! i'mn going to college right now and most of the new music (excluding tool Foo Fighters, RHCP) sucks balls. my parents listened to 60's and 70's music, and i still listen to it. the 90's sucked execpt for Rage against the machine, and a few others.

but IMHO this decades music won't stand the test of time like the 60's, 70's and 80's music has.

Foo is a 90's band

RHCP is an 80's band, but didn't becoem popular until the alt movement of the early 90's

King Crimson
5/9/2007, 09:50 PM
not to mention that decade divisions are totally arbitrary. Nirvana's LP version of Bleach, Soundgarden's Supermega OK (SST) and Louder than Love (A&M's developing artist's series--$$$$), RHCO Mothers Milk (some high points, but does not stand up well IMO, but was popular)...Paul's Boutique....80's

Check Your Head, 90's
Nevermind, 90's
Badmotorfinger, 90's
superunknown, 90's
SY's Daydream Nation....almost 90's. Goo, Washing Machine have some great moments....but they are 90's record....but they aren't Sister, 80's.
Pavement
the Melvins

were the stooges a 60's or 70's band?

i do agree that the best RHCP stuff (though, for the genre of proto **** rock Blood Sugar is a good one, Rick Rubin **** on steroids), the best funk they do is on the George Clinton produced Freaky Styley which most RHCP fans would hate. the cover of Sly Stone's "if you want me stay..." is great.

most of the interesting colonization of hip hop by jazz loops was in the 90's, mostly. Gang Starr for one. when serious cats and old guys like Herbie Hancock and Donald Byrd are playing on hip hop records that's innovative. i know most of you guys don't give shizz about that, but that's good music from the time period.

JMO. don't make it right.

King Crimson
5/9/2007, 10:04 PM
are the Flaming Lips an 80's band or a 90's band. to me, they are an 80's band. a mid-80's band. to most people i know, they are 90's band.

it's where you form yer experience. i didn't buy Yoshimi on colored vinyl. but i did buy the EP (green, i think), Hear it is (white), and Oh My Gawd!, Telepathic (one the latter was clear, bitchin!)...Priest was 90s' (on pink vinyl, tore yer ears off).

PhxSooner
5/10/2007, 12:43 AM

some examples:

90's - .....flannel?
The grunge flannel look enabled me to go to class dressed like a lumberjack for the last year or two at OU. Very comfy.

proud gonzo
5/10/2007, 01:03 AM
are the Flaming Lips an 80's band or a 90's band. to me, they are an 80's band. a mid-80's band. to most people i know, they are 90's band.

it's where you form yer experience. i didn't buy Yoshimi on colored vinyl. but i did buy the EP (green, i think), Hear it is (white), and Oh My Gawd!, Telepathic (one the latter was clear, bitchin!)...Priest was 90s' (on pink vinyl, tore yer ears off).and to me, the flaming lips are a 2000's band because i'd never even HEARD of them until y'all kept babbling about 'em. :rolleyes: