PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pools

Soonrboy
1/28/2004, 05:12 PM
We are thinking about using our tax money to put in an above-ground pool with nice deck, etc. Am looking to see if anyone has one, how much I can expect to pay for installation, etc.

Every above ground pool I see looks like it has been abandoned, but I don't think we can afford to put in an in-ground one. Should we wait until we can put in an in-ground one?

Oh yeah, TIA

Frozen Sooner
1/28/2004, 05:17 PM
You liberals are always trying to waste tax money.

GottaHavePride
1/28/2004, 05:26 PM
An in-ground one will be easier to keep warm. Plus, they're less ugly. Of course, I just prefer the in-ground kind anyway. Either way, just make sure there's some kind of fence around it to keep kids from falling in.

An above-ground pool is fairly easy to install yourself, just check with local building codes first. We put one in at my parents house when I was a kid and it wasn't that hard. Remember that no matter what kind of pool you get, you'll also need a pump/filter/vacuum, chemicals, maybe a heater if you want to be able to use it earlier or later in the year, and you'll probably want some kind of cover to keep leaves and grass clippings out (saves time cleaning later).

Looking on the internet you can get a decent in-ground for about $5,000 plus $1,000 for the pump and filter. Heater will run you another $1,500 or so. Covers for the pool are only a couple of hundred dollars, but they'll save you hours of cleaning. How much tax money are you getting back? ;)

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/28/2004, 05:30 PM
i'd wait and put an inground pool in. it's much better when you try to sell your house, not to mention the aforementioned advantages.

Soonrboy
1/28/2004, 06:36 PM
I would like to wait, but want to also enjoy it while with the kids...

So for less than 8000, I can get a decent in-ground pool?

Can I pay for it with food stamps?

Soonerfan85
1/28/2004, 06:42 PM
get a nice used boat instead...you and the kids will have a lot more fun at the lake or river than in a pool....it'll also give you an excuse to buy that new SUV you've been wanting ;)

Soonrboy
1/28/2004, 06:49 PM
True..wow...I like that...

OklahomaTrombone
1/28/2004, 07:07 PM
We've had a in-ground pool forevAR, two we had built and the house I currently live in it was already here. My dad and I have always talked about how he would have rather bought a boat than have the pool. But go in-ground instead of above ground

Al Gore
1/28/2004, 07:24 PM
In ground....the only way to go...

Cam
1/28/2004, 08:45 PM
Don't waste the money on the above ground. For 8-10K you'll be able to get a pretty decent in-ground and it'll add more value to your house than an above ground.

Boarder
1/28/2004, 09:05 PM
In ground. Then, you can skateboard in it during the off season.

SOONER44EVER
1/29/2004, 03:00 AM
In ground definitely. I cannot stress how important it is to thoroughly check out the company you get it from. Every summer there are tons of people on the local news saying how they got scammed on getting a pool installed. As for an $8000 in ground pool, I don't think so. A 6X6 hot tub runs about $5000 if that gives you any idea. Also, check with a realtor about pools. A while back I sold a house with a pool and it took forever to sell because there was a pool.

I_SMELL_FEAR
1/29/2004, 08:46 AM
Yeah, unless you are planning on staying in your house for years and years and years.....I would consider not getting a pool. LOTS of people do not want the hassle of maintaining a pool and it could make it tough to sell your house. Also, maintaining a pool is a never-ending process, so be prepared for lots of trips to get chemicals. Kids might be the only reason to get the pool. One obvious advantage to the above ground is you can always sell it if you dont like it, and it is a lot cheaper than an in-ground. But I bet the family would rather ski and tube than float in a pool....????????

Oh and if you get a boat, let me be your friend...Im currently out of friends with boats and I really like to ski. :)

OU4LIFE
1/29/2004, 09:00 AM
and for those of us that AREN'T lake rats, and crowd lovers, an in-ground pool would be awesome.

I have not done any pricing, but you see those preformed pool insert type things on the side of the highway all the time, installation of one of those CAN'T be that bad. of course I'm sure it's still a case of you get what you pay for.....that's an easy choice for me, a 10,000 dolla pool, or a 10,000 dolla boat, the pool wins every time.

We have the perfect location for a pool in our yard....one of these days.

Go for the pool.

Scenario:

August 12th, you just got done mowing your yard, your hot, tired and sweaty. You have two choices, go jump in your pool and enjoy the nice relaxing quiet of your own yard, or go in, take a shower, bring the truck around and hitch up the boat. Get the cooler, drive 55 minutes to the lake store, fight the crowd for beer, soda, sandwiches for the cooler. Get the boat to the boat ramp, unload the boat. Go park the truck and trailer. Get back to the boat. Fire up the boat....start heading out on the lake, being careful to avoid the jetskiers, and dumbass wakeboarders ;), gets the skis out, get the ropes untangles from the last time. Start sking. 30 minutes later, it's getting dark. Start stowing everything away, eat the sandwiches, load the boat back on the trailer...drive 55 minutes back home....park the boat, unload the gear......pffft.

screw that, get the pool.

Soonerfan85
1/29/2004, 09:57 AM
and for those of us that AREN'T lake rats, and crowd lovers, an in-ground pool would be awesome.

I have not done any pricing, but you see those preformed pool insert type things on the side of the highway all the time, installation of one of those CAN'T be that bad. of course I'm sure it's still a case of you get what you pay for.....that's an easy choice for me, a 10,000 dolla pool, or a 10,000 dolla boat, the pool wins every time.

We have the perfect location for a pool in our yard....one of these days.

Go for the pool.

Scenario:

August 12th, you just got done mowing your yard, your hot, tired and sweaty. You have two choices, go jump in your pool and enjoy the nice relaxing quiet of your own yard, or go in, take a shower, bring the truck around and hitch up the boat. Get the cooler, drive 55 minutes to the lake store, fight the crowd for beer, soda, sandwiches for the cooler. Get the boat to the boat ramp, unload the boat. Go park the truck and trailer. Get back to the boat. Fire up the boat....start heading out on the lake, being careful to avoid the jetskiers, and dumbass wakeboarders ;), gets the skis out, get the ropes untangles from the last time. Start sking. 30 minutes later, it's getting dark. Start stowing everything away, eat the sandwiches, load the boat back on the trailer...drive 55 minutes back home....park the boat, unload the gear......pffft.

screw that, get the pool.

We had a pool once and while it was fun for the rest of the family, as the one who had to do the maintenance I think it sucked. Hell, I got to where I didn't even want to use the damn thing cause it was such a pain to keep clean and maintain the proper ph level. Go ahead and jump into the pool after mowing the yard with grass clippings on you and all that sweat and you'll spend the next day cleaning the thing and trying to get the ph level adjusted. Every time it rained the ph level would get screwed up. Don't even get me started on how much chemicals cost to maintain a pool, though I do think it can be less expensive now. Look out at your back yard and know that whatever is lying on the ground will be something you have to fish out of a pool unless you keep it covered 24/7. The last straw was when the kids decided that it was more fun to go to the pool at the Y or to the river because that was were all their friends were going! :eek:

On the other hand, we can take our boat with us wherever we go on vacation! Florida to see Mickey Mouse, we took the boat for a couple of days of water sports in between Disney and Universal City. Took the grandparents to Branson to the corny music shows, and we were off to Bull Shoals Lake for a day of water skiing and exploring. On 3 day weekends we hook up the boat and it's a 2 hour drive over to Lake Ouachita or Lake DeGray near Hot Springs. Being 20 minutes from the Ouachita River means I can have everything loaded, gassed up and in the water in less than an hour. The kids love water skiing, knee boarding, tubing and fishing. Kind of hard to do those things in a backyard pool, although I do remember the time our neighbors found a fish in their pool. :D Plus we get to see beautiful scenery that we'd never get to see without a boat. OK, so with a boat you have to plan ahead and mow your yard during the week so you have max water time on the weekend. No big deal. And while you won't have to deal with those stupid PWC riders in a pool, you'll miss out on meeting some really nice fellow boaters.

Guess it really depends on how active a person is. Less active types and home bodies will be happier with a pool. And pools are fun if you like to entertain outside a lot. More active types who like to go places will opt for a boat. And with a boat over 20' you can invite guests along too.

If anyone is seriously considering buying a boat and has never owned or operated one before, I recommend taking a CG boating course and then finding a marina that rents boats and doing that a few times to make sure the family enjoys boating. And make that first boat a nice USED one just in case you forget that boats don't have brakes the first time you decide to dock it. :rolleyes: Nothing like gouging new gelcoat on the first outing! :D

I guess the best bet is to make friends with someone who has both a pool and a boat!

Swimming and boating season are just around the corner! :cool:

OU4LIFE
1/29/2004, 11:10 AM
wow. I never realized how much "less active" I was.

thanks.

Boarder
1/29/2004, 11:36 AM
Fire up the boat....start heading out on the lake, being careful to avoid the jetskiers, and dumbass tubers and skiiers ;),

I agree totally.

Be sure to tell me which boat you are in so I can throw some monster wakes your way. hehe

OU4LIFE
1/29/2004, 11:41 AM
I agree totally.

Be sure to tell me which boat you are in so I can throw some monster wakes your way. hehe

I won't be in a boat.....apparently I'm less active. So I will be at my pool or on the golf course, or maybe in my wheelchair. :D

GottaHavePride
1/29/2004, 12:33 PM
In ground definitely. I cannot stress how important it is to thoroughly check out the company you get it from. Every summer there are tons of people on the local news saying how they got scammed on getting a pool installed. As for an $8000 in ground pool, I don't think so. A 6X6 hot tub runs about $5000 if that gives you any idea. Also, check with a realtor about pools. A while back I sold a house with a pool and it took forever to sell because there was a pool.
The $8,000 was what I was found for premade in-ground pool liners and equipment. Probably fiberglass or something. It didn't cover installation though, that'll probably be another thousand or two to get a guy with a shovel to come to your house and dig a hole. ;)

bri
1/29/2004, 03:26 PM
Above-ground pools rock for getting drunk in.

That probably has nothing to do with your situation, but I just thought I'd throw that out there for all the single guys. :D

Soonerfan85
1/29/2004, 05:23 PM
I won't be in a boat.....apparently I'm less active. So I will be at my pool or on the golf course, or maybe in my wheelchair. :D

You forgot about sittin in your lazy boy in front of the TV. :D

SOONER44EVER
1/29/2004, 07:23 PM
Having a guy dig a hole in your backyard: $500
Tell him that same hole is for a pool: $5000

I_SMELL_FEAR
1/29/2004, 07:28 PM
Having a guy dig a hole in your backyard: $500
Tell him that same hole is for a pool: $5000
HEH.

malina
7/4/2006, 07:45 PM
Well, All these replies gave me a smile and a giggle. I needed it. I am so stressing out on finding an inground pool. I cannot believe how expensive to have them installed it is. I only found a couple online that would actually give their prices. So far okcpools.com is the best priced one I have found yet. That actually showed their prices though. I am sure if I wanted to keep calling all the others I MAY find something cheaper. But from what I have called and looked at this is cheapest. My main reason to get a pool is daily exercise, and the kids will love it. I hope when they move out they will come over and play. :-) The sad thing I learned is it does not raise the value of your home. But the fun. I think the positive thing about it is spending more daily time with the family and keeping the teens home with their friends instead of them being bored and leaving to do bad things. At least a pool they love to swim in with their friends we can monitor them.

Soonerfan88
7/4/2006, 09:37 PM
Also, check with your insurance agent to see how it will affect your premiums. Pools can mean big $$ because of the potential for large claims.

As for the pool itself, already been said - maintenance is the biggest hassle and you have to do it either way.

Okla-homey
7/4/2006, 10:04 PM
I had a buddy who had an above ground pool. It blew out its liner in the middle of the night. It caused a small tsunami that hit their back door and flooded their kitchen.

hurricane'bone
7/4/2006, 10:30 PM
We've had a in-ground pool forever, two we had built and the house I currently live in it was already here. My dad and I have always talked about how he would have rather bought a boat than have the pool. But go in-ground instead of above ground

I still stand by this statement...and considering its July 4th and the pool still isn't in swimming condition...I've come to this conclusion

http://www.watersedgecampground.com/images/pool.jpg

=

http://goose350.blog.ocn.ne.jp/hosi/images/money_pit.JPG

LilSooner
7/4/2006, 10:39 PM
A in ground pool adds no value to your house when it comes time to sell. We have had a couple of in ground pools, but they have been really nice with a deck and doesn't look all white trash. Although I love the look of an in ground pool, in our last house that we built we looked at in ground pools and there were at least 20-30 grand. An infinity pool was up around 60. Totally not worth putting into the house, unless you got cash like that.

jk the sooner fan
7/4/2006, 10:41 PM
it adds value if you didnt pay to put it in

we have an inground.....absolutely love it

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/4/2006, 11:09 PM
I'm with JK. You are better off financially buying a house that already has the inground pool rather than installing it. They don't add to the value of the house, but cost $$$$ to install.

FWIW, My parents had an above ground pool for about 15 years and we absolutely loved it until the May 3 tornado took it to Del City. They decided to fill the hole (part of it was underground) so they could have a yard. On really hot days they regret that decision.

LilSooner
7/4/2006, 11:15 PM
it adds value if you didnt pay to put it in

we have an inground.....absolutely love it

Well yeah. Of course it would if you didn't drop the 30+ grand to put it in.

BajaOklahoma
7/5/2006, 01:21 AM
We bought this house because it didn't have a pool. A plus for someone with a toddler. And hard to find.
We are thinking about getting a new house in the next two years, which will have a pool. Depending on which addition you live in, a pool is often considered a basic requirement in a house.

yermom
7/5/2006, 01:50 AM
i really like this idea of buying a house that already has a pool :)

my mom had a smallish custom one put in her yard back in the early 90's for like 15K

i always thought it was way too small to swim laps in, etc... (it's basically 15' x 30')

it's ok for goofing around in though

BajaOklahoma
7/5/2006, 02:03 AM
That's what we want ... a play pool. No diving board (insurance cost is forcing most people to remove them anyway).

mrowl
7/5/2006, 09:45 AM
Around here a pool does increase the value of your house, and it sells faster.

But you won't ever get the full value of the pool back.

StoopTroup
7/5/2006, 09:48 AM
Now is the time to hire some illegals to dig your hole.

GW will have this immigration thing all figured out in a couple of weeks so you better hurry. :rolleyes:

Boarder
7/5/2006, 09:53 AM
If I ever put in a pool (ie, lose my mind), I'm building an enclosure for it so it can be used year round. And to keep the leaves from my 1000 trees out of it.

I seriously doubt it happens, though. The kids are loving the $28 Wal Mart 6' pool with the preformed slide right now.