PDA

View Full Version : who is in the RIAA's pocket, anyway?

yermom
5/7/2007, 11:42 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070507-record-shops-used-cds-ihre-papieren-bitte.html

In Florida, Utah, and soon in Rhode Island and Wisconsin, selling your used CDs to the local record joint will be more scrutinized than then getting a driver's license in those states. For retailers in Florida, for instance, there's a "waiting period" statue that prohibits them from selling used CDs that they've acquired until 30 days have passed. Furthermore, the Florida law disallows stores from providing anything but store credit for used CDs. It looks like college students will need to stick to blood plasma donations for beer money.

i'm glad these states don't have any real problems to worry about :rolleyes:

Suerreal
5/7/2007, 11:45 PM
who is in the RIAA's pocket, anyway?

The Copyright Royalties Board, for one.

The RIAA are the same folks pushing for crippling royalty rates that will force most independent internet radio stations into bankruptcy by July 15th without Congressional relief.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2007, 01:24 AM
The RIAA are out to cut off a lot of free advertising, while making royal pain-in-the-as*es of themselves.

bluedogok
5/8/2007, 09:42 PM
I think the NAB pushed this just as hard as RIAA, they are the ones who are competing with internet radio and they pay a fraction of what everyone other than terrestrial radio will have to pay. You know Clear Channel is involved with this somehow.