PDA

View Full Version : One game at a time...

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 11:41 PM
Haven't seen a weekly sunshine pumping thread like we saw in off-season 2006... so yeah, let me know... pick one, game by game, break down what you feel happens and predict a score. Remember, winnar gets :twinkies:. :D

I believe I'll start it with...
September 1, 2007
University of North Texas
Nickname: "Mean Green DodgeBall Machine"

Having read about Coach Dodge, and his accomplishments at the high school level, I can forecast one likely scenario. The same scenario that happens when anyone takes that next step from one level of football to another without an ungodly amount of talent to shape and utilize.

North Texas is known for a few things. Football; meh... not one of them. Last year's "young" squad went deep-down on Middle Tennesee State and laid a goose-egg similar to the one Middle Tennesee laid in Norman. Did I say Norman? As in... the site of North Texas' season opener?

Why will this be a blowout victory for Oklahoma? Because while we are in a rebuilding effort at the most important position, we ARE NOT re-tooling the entire offense. To add, this team is not goign to be a TCU-caliber team that has been building a storm behind the scenes. Will they pull a UAB a play their best game of the season in Norman? That's yet to be seen. But covering a healthy Malcom Kelly, Juaqin Iglesias, Jermaine Gresham, JJF??? They're in for a world of hurt if OUr passer is established early.

The battle will be at the line of scrimmage for both lines. The DL is a given, they need to establish themselves as a unit, and early this year to be considered a legit threat for MNC contention. But why does an offensive line that is fresh off of a BIG 12 Championship, and only minus one strong side body need to step up? Easy... remember how OU's defense had the expectation of being the best in the Stoops era pre-2006? Teams don't always live up to the hype immediately, especially when they're hyped to be a "strength."

Most important thing to watch? Quarterback performance. Just because he wins, doesn't mean he keeps his job. TCU and UAB knew exactly what to do in 2005 and 2006... stop Adrian Peterson, and let the inexperienced QB beat them. In the two meetings, we tied OUr opponents' scoreboard. This season, nobody, all the way down to the coaches, knows what to expect from Oklahoma on offense. This could be OUr greatest strength, or OUr most embarassing weakness.

Look for Allen Patrick to alternate with Chris Brown early, and the young guns get snaps once the lead is secure.

Final score... close game until kickoff, OU 45 UNT 10.

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 11:42 PM
Yes, we're that bored in off-season.

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 11:46 PM
And I don't think there will be as much argument on the points made against North Texas, as there will be on Miami and Hook 'em.

snp
5/8/2007, 10:50 AM
The coaches have been watching the film of SLC and will be ready for Dodgeball. I think it takes Dodge a couple of years before his gimmick offense takes off for UNT.

Beef
5/8/2007, 11:04 AM
The coaches have been watching the film of SLC and will be ready for Dodgeball. I think it takes Dodge a couple of years before his gimmick offense takes off for UNT.
:rcmad: BUT IT WORKED IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!

Mac94
5/8/2007, 12:07 PM
Wouldn't be "shocked" fi it was a bit lower scoring than that. A few mistakes, a conservative offensive gameplan to ease in a young QB ... let alone not wanting to show Miami to much, first game sloppiness, etc. could combine to keep this a bit more boring and close.

I'd expect to see a ton of Patrick, Brown, and Murray running to wear down N. Texas with a compliment of safe passes to try to give the new QB a level of comfort.

Tear Down This Wall
5/8/2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure how UNT scores 10. Do we fumble the ball into the end zone or something late in the game?

Dio
5/8/2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe UNT will forget to send out their punter again.

snp
5/8/2007, 03:16 PM
Maybe UNT will forget to send out their punter again.

When did UNT forget? I remember KSU doing this in 2005.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/8/2007, 03:25 PM
When did UNT forget? I remember KSU doing this in 2005.

:mack: let me answer that for dio

It was awhile back, I think in the 90's. Exact same thing as KSU

Hatfield
5/8/2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure how UNT scores 10. Do we fumble the ball into the end zone or something late in the game?

maybe we take 5 knees in our endzone to give the coveted multisafety dance trophy

goingoneight
5/8/2007, 09:51 PM
I don't know... how did TCU and UAB put up 34 (17 and 17) on us? Anyone is good enough to get into the endzone once on a rebuilding defense. Basically, I wasn't going to predict a shut out with the way BV's defenses start out the season generally speaking (not to say that they aren't good when all is said and done, just shaky starts), and room for a turnover-score, like a field goal from inside the 20 or something. Just a guestimate.

Anyone wanna tackle Miami? C'mon, you can't be much worse than the ESPN talking heads.

bixby28
5/8/2007, 09:57 PM
I don't know... how did TCU and UAB put up 34 (17 and 17) on us? Anyone is good enough to get into the endzone once on a rebuilding defense. Basically, I wasn't going to predict a shut out with the way BV's defenses start out the season generally speaking (not to say that they aren't good when all is said and done, just shaky starts), and room for a turnover-score, like a field goal from inside the 20 or something. Just a guestimate.

Anyone wanna tackle Miami? C'mon, you can't be much worse than the ESPN talking heads.

Miami is going to have a new lease on life, so to speak, with their new head coach and should be sprinkled, not loaded, with talent. They are rebuilding and should be better for it, just not early in the season.
OU 35 'Canes 20

snp
5/9/2007, 04:30 AM

Eh, TCU was a really good team in 2005. our offense couldn't sustain any drives and we were probably lucky to only lose by 7. UAB came out with a offense that no one could have predicted; they were using two QBs for most of the game.

But TCU and UAB are way tougher than UNT. Therein lies my reasoning for a shutout.

AzianSooner
5/9/2007, 07:59 AM
Does the MeanDog still lick the ball?

OUstud
5/9/2007, 02:56 PM
September 8
University of Miami-Florida
Nickname: CoCanes

In front of a remarkably noisy Owen Field crowd, OU's defense overwhelms Kyle "I was the top recruit?" Wright and the rest of the Miami offense. Meanwhile, Miami still has a good defense, and we struggle at times offensively but pull out a 24-7 victory.

Next up: Utah State

Ardmore_Sooner
5/9/2007, 03:09 PM
Does anybody realize that our first five games next year will comprise of 3 first year coaches and two second year coaches?

TheUnnamedSooner
5/9/2007, 03:49 PM
Does anybody realize that our first five games next year will comprise of 3 first year coaches and two second year coaches?

I do now. Thanks!

goingoneight
5/9/2007, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, we've lost to some of those "inexperienced" first-year HCs.

rainiersooner
5/10/2007, 12:46 AM

TCU went 11-1 that season and I think UAB was over .500 (but I could be wrong on that)...they're both better than UNT: and I think we're better this year than the last two years; our secondary is better so I'm expecting them to make tackles the first game of the season. The difference maker this year will be whether our QB turns the ball over...if we keep possession, I think we've got enough play makers to make the difference all season long...big IF though.

goingoneight
5/10/2007, 01:34 AM
Good point, rainersooner... the surrounding talent alone should get them 8 or 9 W's. If they gel quickly, as a normal Stoops-coached team has, they could be unstoppable.

Of course, Gundy has been gellin' for years and hasn't done much... :pop:

Ardmore_Sooner
5/10/2007, 03:09 AM
Of course, Gundy has been gellin' for years and hasn't done much... :pop:

Oh he is so not gellin'

Doged
5/10/2007, 09:16 AM
September 8
University of Miami-Florida

Both teams will rely on their stout defenses to provide scoring opportunities. The difference in the game will be the more developed Sooner offense, which will manage two scoring drives from the Miami end of the field while Miami's tentative (and newly schemed) offense is able to score only on a relatively short field.

In a higher scoring game than what would be expected in a game dominated by the defenses the Sooners post a 27 - 13 win and emerge well positioned to make a run at both the conference and national championships.

Next up is a Utah St team that managed only a single win in the 2006 season.