PDA

View Full Version : The luck of the (Mrs.) Norm (Or why Norman cops suck)

Norm In Norman
5/7/2007, 06:18 PM
Wow. That's a cool post. How did it do that?

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2007, 06:20 PM
true?

Norm In Norman
5/7/2007, 06:20 PM
OK, the invisible post that doesn't appear in this thread like it's supposed to is:

OK, let me set the scene for you: Mrs. Norm is 8 months pregnant. About a month ago she pulled ligaments in her stomach due to the size of the baby. She has been in some major pain since then. Last week the baby somehow broke a rib. Even though there isn't enough room for him to move around any more, he doesn't know that. Needless to say, she is in some severe pain. To top it off, she started having contractions today. Not "let's run to the hospital" contractions, but she's had four today.

So she is coming home today going down Sooner road and all of the sudden all of the traffic in front of her stopped. There were a ton of cops in front of her, so she assumed there was a wreck or something. She was in the right lane and couldn't turn around, so she had to wait it out.

Well, after about 15 minutes she noticed a cop coming around to all of the cars. He finally made it to her car and the cop said "Do you know why we have you all pulled over?" She said "Um, what do you mean pulled over? Who is pulled over?" Well, evidently she was - and about 50 or more people in front of her and at least that many coming the opposite direction. Evidently there was a "Road closed ahead" sign on the side of the road right behind her north of Franklin road. Not on the road. No detour signs. The road wasn't blocked - it was clear ahead. The point is it looked like maybe there was a wreck or something ahead and she was going to wait it out because there was no place else for her to go. Should she have slammed on her brakes when she saw the sign and made an illegal u-turn? There wasn't a detour sign, so where was she supposed to turn?

The cop chuckled and said "Yeah, I'm on ticket 129 right now." Well, come to find out her license had expired so she got a ticket for that and got a warning for "Disregarding traffic control device". The cop says to her "yeah, you are lucky. All of these other people are getting an $89 tickets and yours is only $79." As this was happening, they were turning the sign around and all of the backed up traffic was allowed to go by. By this time he noticed the pain in my wife's face and asked if she was OK. The cop mumbled something about how the water had cleared and it was now safe and let her go on.

Now let's look at this for a second. This morning it was raining. It probably stopped raining around 9 - maybe later. I wasn't in Norman, so it's just a guess. This happened at least 4 hours after the rain ended. There was no sign that water had EVER been on the road. Now on Porter right north of Tecumseh it is common for the road to flood. When I drove by that intersection there were two "Road closed to through traffic" signs across the road with a space in between for non through traffic to pass. There was a sign on Sooner and Rock Creek going the other way too. I barely saw it. It was placed behind the stop light.

It appears to me that they had decided they were going to write some tickets today and they did so. I'm not complaining about the expired license. She deserved that 100%. But I can't believe they are allowed to set up a spot just to see how many people they can give tickets to. For instance, what if they decided to make a stop light not turn green. So how long do you wait there before you back up or run the light or something? 5 minutes? 10? You could wait for 3 hours and if you run the light then they can give you a ticket. How messed up is that?

I'd say maybe they should spend more time trying to clean up crime. Last time I checked, crime hasn't gone away in Norman. Isn't that entrapment?

Norm In Norman
5/7/2007, 06:21 PM
I hit post and there was a subject but no body. Then I replied and it shows up as the first post, but there is no tool tip text is there? Weird.

Norm In Norman
5/7/2007, 06:22 PM
Oh, and I'd love for a Norman cop to prove to me that this doesn't suck. I'll admit it if there is a true good reason for this.

ultimatesooner1
5/7/2007, 06:25 PM
man that sucks worse than the $170 ticket okc pd gave me for an tag light being out.

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2007, 06:25 PM
I can almost guarantee that the little town of Leon Valley near me couldn't care less if the cops could shoot a gun.

But you can bet they have superior vision requirements so that they can spot an inspection sticker from 4 blocks away.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/7/2007, 06:28 PM
Most Norman cops are teh succ.

Ardmore_Sooner
5/7/2007, 06:28 PM
man that sucks worse than the $170 ticket okc pd gave me for an tag light being out.

I only got a warning last time that happened.

yermom
5/7/2007, 06:51 PM
i had to go in front of a judge to prove i fixed it when that happened :mad:

my damn truck came with no tag light! who checks that?

soonerboomer93
5/7/2007, 06:57 PM
I bet you do now :D

olevetonahill
5/7/2007, 07:41 PM
Thats the succs But if all she got was an expired , She should be able to get her license renewed and go to the city DA and get it dropped .
How long had been expired ?

Hatfield
5/7/2007, 07:50 PM
i imagine you could (well not your lovely wife since she didn't get one) contest that ticket with some success.

rufnek05
5/7/2007, 08:00 PM
yeah they are a large pain in teh arse

Soonrboy
5/7/2007, 08:10 PM
I saw that whole mess coming home from school today. You couldn't go west on Franklin, couldn't go south on Sooner and couldn't go East on Franklin either, without bypassing the signs that were on the side of the roads. I drove west on Franklin, past the road closed signs...then sunnylane/porter was closed going south...it was a mess...ended up going all the way to HW77 to get to Rock Creek

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2007, 09:29 PM
I HATE NOMRAN COPS!

Just sayin...

Mrs. SoonerStormchaser got pulled over by a Nomran cop for turning left at an intersection on a YELLOW LIGHT after she had been waiting for two minutes and there was now NO OPPOSING TRAFFIC.

Smartassed cop to her: "Going somewehere in a hurry?"

Dip****!

47straight
5/7/2007, 09:49 PM
If the Norman DA couldn't convict the Nebbish player, then you all should have a decent chance at beating this in court.

Norm In Norman
5/8/2007, 08:10 AM
Thats the succs But if all she got was an expired , She should be able to get her license renewed and go to the city DA and get it dropped .
How long had been expired ?
She can? I didn't know that. It expired a bit over a year ago. I mean, how often do you have to pull your license out these days? It's sort of hard to keep up with.

Norm In Norman
5/8/2007, 08:12 AM
I saw that whole mess coming home from school today. You couldn't go west on Franklin, couldn't go south on Sooner and couldn't go East on Franklin either, without bypassing the signs that were on the side of the roads. I drove west on Franklin, past the road closed signs...then sunnylane/porter was closed going south...it was a mess...ended up going all the way to HW77 to get to Rock Creek
I just couldn't figure out why the signs weren't actually blocking where ever the danger was. They weren't trying to keep those people out of danger, they were trying to give people tickets.

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2007, 08:25 AM
I HATE NOMRAN COPS!

Just sayin...

Mrs. SoonerStormchaser got pulled over by a Nomran cop for turning left at an intersection on a YELLOW LIGHT after she had been waiting for two minutes and there was now NO OPPOSING TRAFFIC.

Smartassed cop to her: "Going somewehere in a hurry?"

Dip****!

yellow doesnt mean "go"

and a very long time ago when i pulled somebody over, i might ask the same question - if there was a legitimate answer, i'd let them go with a warning

Norm - was this a low water crossing problem area? unless i misread your post, thats what i got out of it - i'm not familiar with the intersection - anyway thats probably what they were doing is mass enforcement to keep people out of the low water areas......sounds like a rather crappy way to go about it - give your city councilman/woman a call - they work for you ya know?

TopDaugIn2000
5/8/2007, 08:26 AM
someone called in to Jack and Ron this morning complaining about this. It sucks for sure.

Soonrboy
5/8/2007, 08:31 AM
I just couldn't figure out why the signs weren't actually blocking where ever the danger was. They weren't trying to keep those people out of danger, they were trying to give people tickets.

Yeah, there was no need to give tickets...plus there was absolutely no warning. They could have set the signs up a little further back, or could have had one of the 3 cop cars setting back to give people a heads up.

dolemitesooner
5/8/2007, 08:45 AM
Norman cops love pulling me over and throwing the cuffs on

Norm In Norman
5/8/2007, 08:54 AM
yellow doesnt mean "go"

and a very long time ago when i pulled somebody over, i might ask the same question - if there was a legitimate answer, i'd let them go with a warning

Norm - was this a low water crossing problem area? unless i misread your post, thats what i got out of it - i'm not familiar with the intersection - anyway thats probably what they were doing is mass enforcement to keep people out of the low water areas......sounds like a rather crappy way to go about it - give your city councilman/woman a call - they work for you ya know?
That's what they called it, but I don't recall it ever being closed since I moved here in '91. I've only lived near 12th street since 2000 though. i don't see why they didn't close the actual problem area and then provide signs in advance or a detour or something. Mrs. Norm said there were probably 10 cops giving tickets out there. If that one cop was on #129, then I'd say they decided they were going to have a ticket fest that way. I didn't really see where they were protecting the public's safety. Funny thing is, the signs going south are still up today and traffic is moving like normal since the road isn't blocked in any way.

jk the sooner fan
5/8/2007, 08:57 AM
you should take pictures of it and sent it to your city council......

crawfish
5/8/2007, 08:57 AM
99.99%...

olevetonahill
5/8/2007, 03:54 PM
She can? I didn't know that. It expired a bit over a year ago. I mean, how often do you have to pull your license out these days? It's sort of hard to keep up with.
Over a yr :eek:
I dont know then bro , But I think she will have to retest to be able to renew .
The quicker the better tho .