PDA

View Full Version : DIE, FIRE ANTS!!! DIE, DIE, DIE!!!

crawfish
5/7/2007, 10:33 AM
I may have to re-evaluate my opinion that nothing good comes out of Lubbock...

Red fire ants facing killer virus (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070507/ap_on_bi_ge/farm_scene)

LUBBOCK, Texas - Imported red fire ants have plagued farmers, ranchers and others for decades. Now the reviled pests are facing a bug of their own.

Researchers have pinpointed a naturally occurring virus that kills the ants, which arrived in the U.S. in the 1930s and now cause $6 billion in damage annually nationwide, including about $1.2 billion in Texas.

The virus caught the attention of U.S.
Department of Agriculture researchers in Florida in 2002. The agency is now seeking commercial partners to develop the virus into a pesticide to control fire ants.

The virus was found in about 20 percent of fire ant fields, where it appears to cause the slow death of infected colonies.

"Certainly, we are excited about it," said Bob Vander Meer, the leader of the USDA research team in Gainesville, Fla. "I think the virus has great potential. No question about it."

The massive fire ant colonies destroy crops, damage farm and electrical equipment and hasten soil erosion. Humans and livestock are particularly vulnerable to the insect's stinging attacks.

With no natural predators to keep them in check, fire ants have spread across the U.S., where their numbers are now 10 times greater than in their native South America. They thrive in open sunny areas such as cropland, pastures, and urban lawns, and they like moisture.

"Sustained control is what we're trying to achieve," said Steve Valles, an entomologist in the Gainesville research lab. "Eradication is not going to happen."

Fire ants have been detected in 13 states, covering 320 million acres, and are spreading northward. The pest has been found as far north as Virginia and along parts of the California coastline.

In the laboratory, the virus, SINV-1, has proven to be self-sustaining and transmissible. Once introduced, it can eliminate a colony within three months.

That's why researchers believe the virus has potential as a viable biopesticide to control fire ants, known to scientists as Solenopsis invicta.

yermom
5/7/2007, 10:57 AM
this can't end well

why can't they just get some llamas or whatever eats them in South America?

47straight
5/7/2007, 11:17 AM
As long as the death is painful for the fire ants, I'm willing to risk it.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 11:17 AM
Hmmm. I'd recommend caution before introducing "beneficial" live elements into an ecosystem.

That often has undesirable side-effects.

birddog
5/7/2007, 11:19 AM
hollywood is already ironing out details for a 2010 summer blockbuster.

picasso
5/7/2007, 11:22 AM
reminds me of the old days and Beano's "floating balls of fire ants" threads.

OUstudent4life
5/7/2007, 11:22 AM
Is Bob Vander Meer related to Bob Stoops, or do they just talk the same?

"Certainly, we are excited about it," said Bob Vander Meer, the leader of the USDA research team in Gainesville, Fla. "I think the virus has great potential. No question about it."

Is it a virus or a recruit?

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 11:23 AM
Attack of the Pi$$ed-off Viral Resistant Fire Ants. Rated R.

birddog
5/7/2007, 11:25 AM

IN!

birddog
5/7/2007, 11:27 AM

the virus played in a great way, no question. it made the plays to win in the end.

yermom
5/7/2007, 11:43 AM

they musta hung out when Stoops was down there :D

yermom
5/7/2007, 11:47 AM
Hmmm. I'd recommend caution before introducing "beneficial" live elements into an ecosystem.

you talking about the llamas or the virus? :D

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 11:48 AM

heh. see the introduction of fire ants for a reference :D

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 12:04 PM
heh. see the introduction of fire ants for a reference :D

or kudzu in the southeast to stem soil erosion and subsidence on highway rights-of-way.

or rabbits to Australia.

or nutria to NOLA.

Jerk
5/7/2007, 12:29 PM
I like fireants.

They kill all the ticks.

RacerX
5/7/2007, 03:03 PM
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/5159EMER4DL._SS500_.jpg

47straight
5/7/2007, 09:42 PM

Everything old is new again.

http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~alphapsy/blog/images/21701757_them_lg.jpg

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/143869~Them-Posters.jpg

Them!

1954 black-and-white cold war goodness. It's actually a wicked cool movie. I remember watching it on the OETA saturday night movie show, which was always a treat during SNL repeats growing up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/

OUDoc
5/7/2007, 09:49 PM
Skinner: Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2007, 10:16 PM
Man, I watched some terrible black & white movie on Mystery Science Theater one night (and by terrible I mean freakin' awesome) about a radioactive metor landing in Wisconsin and creating giant radioactive spiders. Except it was so horrible you could tell the giant spider was really just some foam pool noodles covered in dark fur stuck on top of a dark-colored Volkswagen, and then they'd drive the VW just on the other side of a hill so you couldn't see the tires. :D

Anyway, every time you saw a group of townspeople with flaming torches off to kill the giant spiders the MST3K crew would start shouting "WOOOOOO! PACKERS WIN DA SUPERBOWL! WOOOOOOOOOO!" It was hilarious.

What were we talking about again?

goodonya
5/8/2007, 07:18 AM

Yeah, remember what happened when Aggies were introduced.

Turd_Ferguson
5/8/2007, 07:22 AM
The Dr. of Dirt suggest you do this (http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=1341).