PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the "bridal industry"

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 08:10 AM
IMHO, the "bridal industry" is one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated on humanity.

On a related note, if more wimmen worried less about the wedding itself and more about the implications of joining their lives to the person they've chosen, there would probably be less divorce.

This one sums up the bridal fraud nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ff13zZ0h0k&NR=1

VeeJay
5/7/2007, 08:15 AM
I am going through this with my 21 y.o., who's getting married in Nov. She's on a budget, and it's understood that anything else added or enhanced...she's on her own to pay for.

A friend of mine in FL has a daughter also getting married in Feb. 08. She tells me she is refinancing her house in order to pay for it. :eek:

What is wrong with people?

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 08:23 AM
It is a really bizarre cultural phenomenon. The concept has morphed from a religious rite/ordinance/sacrament at which two people promised never to sleep with anyone else into this whole tuel draped, flower covered, candle lit, absurdly expen$ive monstrosity.

To make matters worse, in honor of which, the horror is enhanced because everyone the bride ever knew is expected, nay compelled, to make personal sacrifices in the form of gifts and attendance at said mind-numblingly boring event -- because it is her "special day."

Of course, the victims are generally compensated somewhat by the post-nuptial fiesta where they are served rubber chicken and, if they are lucky, get to drink cheap beer.

You gotta love capitalism.;)

TexasLidig8r
5/7/2007, 08:24 AM
21 years old and getting married???? The deck is already stacked against its survival.

I have found most people at 21 are still children.. not mature in their views on themself, life, their sexuality.. are not emotionally and/or mentally mature... as time goes by they see the "hopelessly in love" they were at 21 was in actuality, infatuation and/or sexual awakening/arousal.

Hope she beats the odds Veejay.

dolemitesooner
5/7/2007, 08:29 AM
What in the hell is this man stroke woman...I have never seen it ...but its funny ****

Viking Kitten
5/7/2007, 08:29 AM
Homey, I agree. Same goes for the quincanera industry, Super Sweet 16 parties, proms, etc. However I also know there are people that think we are crazy for shelling out a couple grand every autumn to go to football games.

You gotta play with the cultural hand with which you are dealt, I think.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 08:33 AM
21 years old and getting married???? The deck is already stacked against its survival.

I have found most people at 21 are still children.. not mature in their views on themself, life, their sexuality.. are not emotionally and/or mentally mature... as time goes by they see the "hopelessly in love" they were at 21 was in actuality, infatuation and/or sexual awakening/arousal.

I agree with everything the wHorn said. Unfortunately, most kids nowadays don't mature enough for such an important decision until at least 25. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but the odds are pretty intimidating. You haven't asked, so its none of my business, but I would recommend some no-kiddin' pre-marriage counseling by a clergyman or other professional you trust for anyone that young taking the plunge.

Too many girls are in love with the idea of getting married and less thoughful about what it means to be married.

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2007, 08:44 AM
I know 50 year old ladies that have been divorced twice already that are in love with the idea of being married.

What does age or maturity have to do with it?

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 08:46 AM
I know 50 year old ladies that have been divorced twice already that are in love with the idea of being married.

What does age or maturity have to do with it?

You are correct. That enchantment and obsession with the idea of being married to the exclusion of what it means to be married has led to untold suffering. I submit that 20-somethings are more susceptible however.

MamaMia
5/7/2007, 08:47 AM
Nowadays it seems like half the population is spending 20 times more money on weddings who's marriages last 40 years less.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 08:48 AM
Nowadays it seems like half the population is spending 20 times more money on weddings whos marriages last 40 years less.

Ma, you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

VeeJay
5/7/2007, 08:50 AM
Believe me, we have had the talks. I have discussed it with both of them at length.

My 21 y.o. was a bridesmaid last summer. The girl married a soldier, who'd already cheated on her before they were married. She "hoped he would change." I found out this weekend she's back in FL (her hubby is in the Army in Kentucky). Dude was partying with his friends, coming home at 4 a.m. sloppy drunk, and spending all their money to the point the bills weren't being paid. I'd say that young woman learned a tough lesson. Thankfully, she didn't get knocked up.

Not to change this into a marital infidelity thread. But, according to my daughter, around $25,000 was spent on the disaster of her friend.

jk the sooner fan
5/7/2007, 09:09 AM
Homey, I agree. Same goes for the quincanera industry, Super Sweet 16 parties, proms, etc. However I also know there are people that think we are crazy for shelling out a couple grand every autumn to go to football games.

You gotta play with the cultural hand with which you are dealt, I think.

do you guys have the libby lou stores up there? i think thats the name of it

its a place where you take your daughters (around 5-8ish i think) and they get to play make up and dress up - glitter and all sorts of crap - its cute to see them when you're at the mall but i cant help but wonder what parents are setting themselves up for later by going to that place

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2007, 09:39 AM
Heh...here's Mrs. SoonerStormchaser's and my wedding in a nutshell:

Carolyn bought her dress on ebay for $75...and her bridesmaids dresses for $20 each. Normal price for all of em combined: $1200 (at least that's what the pricetags they came with said).

Church rental, organist fees, parish hall fees: $650
Wedding cake, flowers and food from Albertson's (I called in a few favors since I used to work there): $300
Other odds and ends: $150

TOTAL: ~$1300

And the average wedding costs $25000??? Good Lord, what do they do, have gold plated wedding dishes?

skycat
5/7/2007, 10:10 AM
What it comes down to is, ****'s expensive. Dress. Hall rental. Food. Alcohol. Photographer. Even if you're frugal, that stuff adds up.

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 10:40 AM
Of course, the victims are generally compensated somewhat by the post-nuptial fiesta where they are served rubber chicken and, if they are lucky, get to drink cheap beer.

Heh, at our wedding, the top three expenses were, in order:

1. Food. (catered by a damned good local restaurant)
2. Alcohol. (open bar with the good stuff, including a case of good champagne)
3. Guest Hotel Gift Baskets, customized to each attendee's known preferences.

Our guests got their money's worth for their gifts.

Total was about $14k, of which the above took up over half. Paid for by us, not our parents.

And as far as mind-numbingly boring ceremony -- 15 minutes. We are nice, nice people. :D

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 10:51 AM
And the average wedding costs $25000??? Good Lord, what do they do, have gold plated wedding dishes?

Watch the clip. See at the end where the girl screams, "I WANT WEDDING FLOWERS!" With most women these days, that's not comedy. That's reality. Consider yourself lucky that the one you married isn't like that.

(I do -- my wife got everything on the cheap because she was enterprising in where she looked, drove hard bargains, and did favors for people to get the price down {we got the venue on the cheap because she found them a bargain on something they were looking to purchase, for example}. Most people would have easily paid 3 times as much for our wedding. But she didn't buy "wedding" anything, with the exception of her dress.)

yermom
5/7/2007, 10:54 AM
but that is her special day!

she might only have 3 of them

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 11:01 AM
Oh, and some free advice to folks whose kids are getting married: Go find a good local pastry chef -- often easily found in a upscale French restaurant. Ask them to do a cake for you. Don't mention it's for a wedding until you've selected what you want and agreed on a price.

Using this method, we got an extremely high quality cake for about 30% of what one would normally pay for an equivalent "wedding" cake.

achiro
5/7/2007, 11:25 AM
Heh...here's Mrs. SoonerStormchaser's and my wedding in a nutshell:

Carolyn bought her dress on ebay for $75...and her bridesmaids dresses for $20 each. Normal price for all of em combined: $1200 (at least that's what the pricetags they came with said).

Church rental, organist fees, parish hall fees: $650
Wedding cake, flowers and food from Albertson's (I called in a few favors since I used to work there): $300
Other odds and ends: $150

TOTAL: ~$1300

That sounds about like our wedding, except there wasn't an ebay way back then but there was a JC Penney's outlet.:D
I think our wedding total was about $1200 but i didn't have friends at Albertson's to make a cake.:D

achiro
5/7/2007, 11:28 AM

I was 18, my wife was 18. She graduated from HS on Sunday and we got married the next Sat. We will be celebrating 18 years this month.
I have seen 30 year olds that were too immature to get married, hell I've seen 50 year olds that shouldn't. It's more about maturity, commitment, and a whole lot more stuff that someone should have figured out than it is about age.

Scott D
5/7/2007, 12:11 PM
I've come up with this.....lilHomey must be starting her sorority based wedding planning.

Have fun Homey....have fun.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 12:52 PM
I've come up with this.....lilHomey must be starting her sorority based wedding planning.

Have fun Homey....have fun.

She recently made the statement, [she] didn't go to college to meet a husband, but did pledge a sorority in order to meet her eventual bridesmaids.

Viking Kitten
5/7/2007, 01:12 PM
I was 18, my wife was 18. She graduated from HS on Sunday and we got married the next Sat. We will be celebrating 18 years this month.
I have seen 30 year olds that were too immature to get married, hell I've seen 50 year olds that shouldn't. It's more about maturity, commitment, and a whole lot more stuff that someone should have figured out than it is about age.

I think the point is not that it can't be done, it's just that it's very unlikely that such a marriage will last. Kudos to you and your wife for your exceptional work and commitment, because it's very rare and requires a lot of selflessness.

That said, my children have been told from the time they were toddlers that people don't get married before they turn 30. Should either of my children ever manage to delude themselves into thinking they want to get married before they reach that age, I will defer to their self-determination. Their parents, however, will not be paying for any weddings until they've hit at least the three-decade mark. I just don't consider it a good investment, because I know many people who got married right out of high school, and very, very few of them stay married.

I'm not financing a "beta marriage."

JohnnyMack
5/7/2007, 01:14 PM
That said, my children have been told from the time they were toddlers that people don't get married before they turn 30. Should either of my children ever manage to delude themselves into thinking they want to get married before they reach that age, I will defer to their self-determination. Their parents, however, will not be paying for any weddings until they've hit at least the three-decade mark. I just don't consider it a good investment, because I know many people who got married right out of high school, and very, very few of them stay married.

I got one of them under mah belt. :D

We'll call that a horrendous lapse in judgment.

If you need Uncle JohnnyMack to come over and discuss the evils of pre-30 marriages let me know.

springs sooner
5/7/2007, 01:17 PM
My wife and i paid for own wedding at the tune of about $1500.00. My brother was the DJ, called a favor into a friend who owns a bakery, ceremony at the church.most of the money went to food. My friends brought enough booze to get the whole state plastered. so we rented a floor at the Holiday inn and filled the tubs with beer and stuff. The meaning of this is you can get a great wedding at a lower cost if you are willing to do so.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 01:21 PM
I think the point is not that it can't be done, it's just that it's very unlikely that such a marriage will last. Kudos to you and your wife for your exceptional work and commitment, because it's very rare and requires a lot of selflessness.

We were both 22 when we tied the knot, it has lasted 25 years so far, but, I hasten to add without sounding overly "things were different in those days"...but, they were.

We had completed our educations, both of us had great jobs and hardly any personal debt and we hadn't been shacked-up but had been exclusive to each other for two years. I consider those things pretty important prerequisites.

yermom
5/7/2007, 01:27 PM

heh, beta marriage

i'm kinda on the fence about this... i mean i am a product of a beta marriage, so i would kinda rather have that as opposed to the alternative

as much of a generation gap there was between me and my mom at 21 years (they were married at 18) i can only imagine what it would be like at 30+

i think the answer is to not go crazy on any marriage ;)

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 01:33 PM
Heh. And I am catching hell from everyone for not popping the question yet at 26. Weve been together for like 3 years, lived together for 1 and a half. she moved out here with me and I'm still not ready. I know she is who I want, but I dont see what the big rush is.

Apparetnly her mom does... The logic I am getting is, "well you live together I dont see what you are waiting for..." My response is... "I'm working on a PhD, suck my balls" although it is all nice and civil and we actually like eachother. It doesnt get said to me, she has to hear it though. living in sin blah blah blah. Still is ridiculous. The pressure to get married within relationships supplied by women is unbearable to me. I've broken up two good ones because of that pressure. Why is it like some big status thing to be married?

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2007, 01:41 PM
I know she is who I want, but I dont see what the big rush is.
Of course not.

Your getting what you want out of the relationship with minimal commitment.

Viking Kitten
5/7/2007, 01:41 PM
Personally, I loved not being married in my 20s. I could take off and go live in NYC or Europe for months at a time and didn't have anyone to answer to but myself.

I am a bit jaded about the whole marriage thing anyway, seeing as how I'm the product of divorced high school sweetheart parents, who were each in turn themselves the product of divorced high school sweet heart parents (from back when divorce was still taboo.) I consider 18 year old puppy love to be the evolutionary holdover from the days when one's sole purpose in life was to procreate and pass on your DNA really quick before you died of the plague or something.

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 01:47 PM
Of course not.

Your getting what you want out of the relationship with minimal commitment.

heh. not everything all the time :eek: . But you may be right. Actually it has been more of a lesson of what it is like to live with someone you love (who isnt a buddy that you can just hit in the face when you get ****ed at em) and have to put up with their ****. Love and relationships are a lot of work. :O I think everyone should have to live with whoever they are going to marry for at least a year. I guarantee you a lot of the divorce rate has to do with not knowing the **** you just yourself into and not being able to put up with all of someone elses annoying habits.

Okla-homey
5/7/2007, 01:48 PM
Personally, I loved not being married in my 20s. I could take off and go live in NYC or Europe for months at a time and didn't have anyone to answer to but myself.

I am a bit jaded about the whole marriage thing anyway, seeing as how I'm the product of divorced high school sweetheart parents, who were each in turn themselves the product of divorced high school sweet heart parents (from back when divorce was still taboo.) I consider 18 year old puppy love to be the evolutionary holdover from the days when one's sole purpose in life was to procreate and pass on your DNA really quick before you died of the plague or something.

That and the fact that back in the day "nice" girls wouldn't give it up without benefit of matrimony. I hear that is still the case in some Arab countries which take a rather harsh approach to premarital boot-knocking that involves stones and overhand throwing.;)

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2007, 01:52 PM
:sigh:
SicEmEx moved hers up to August 31st. She ordered her bridal cake and, no joke, it's going to be a Star Wars theme with Hans Solo and Princess Leia on top. I plan to attend the ceremony as an ewok.

Back to the original point though, this is the only time (hopefully) a woman will get to enjoy this so I'm perfectly willing to let them have their day without bitching about the cost.

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 01:57 PM
:sigh:
SicEmEx moved hers up to August 31st. She ordered her bridal cake and, no joke, it's going to be a Star Wars theme with Hans Solo and Princess Leia on top. I plan to attend the ceremony as an ewok.

Back to the original point though, this is the only time (hopefully) a woman will get to enjoy this so I'm perfectly willing to let them have their day without bitching about the cost.

Water is wet. :D

royalfan5
5/7/2007, 01:58 PM
Neither of my Grandfathers were married until they were 30. It worked well for them. I think I will stick with the same philosophy. I can't draw good data from my parents marriage since it ended in death after 15 months.

Viking Kitten
5/7/2007, 01:58 PM
That and the fact that back in the day "nice" girls wouldn't give it up without benefit of matrimony. I hear that is still the case in some Arab countries which take a rather harsh approach to premarital boot-knocking that involves stones and overhand throwing.;)

My sweet, wonderful 99 year old, rural Kansas born-and-bred great grandmother passed away in March. I made kind of a shocking discovery while reading her memorial service materials. Great Grandma Sweden and Great Grandpa Norway were married on Christmas Day, 1925. Grandpa Scandinavia was born in May, 1926.

Do the math people. I think our foreparents did a lot more premarital horizontal mambo than we give them credit for. :D

TopDaugIn2000
5/7/2007, 02:00 PM
spending that kind of money on a wedding is just re-galddammed-diculous. This is coming from a female. I mean, come one. Put that money towards something that'll last, like a HOUSE. Not some 30 minute (I'm baptist, we keep em short) ceremony followed by a boring reception (I'm baptist, we don't have booze:( ) that no one wants to attend anyway but feels obligated. I seriously hate going to weddings. Can't I just send a toaster in the mail and say "good luck"? When I finally tie the knot it'll be me, the poor sap that is willing to marry me, and some clergyman on the beach in LaJolla. My aunt and uncle will be there too, since I"ll be spending my honeymoon in their $6 Million condo on the beach.

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 02:04 PM
I love catholicism, at least they liquor you up before they send you on your way :D

skycat
5/7/2007, 02:04 PM
Do the math people. I think our foreparents did a lot more premarital horizontal mambo than we give them credit for. :D

There is no doubt in my mind about this.

TopDaugIn2000
5/7/2007, 02:07 PM
I love catholicism, at least they liquor you up before they send you on your way :D

yeah, but after their long *** ceremony you NEED liquor

sanantoniosooner
5/7/2007, 02:08 PM
I'm 39, my wife is 37. We've been married almost 18 years now.

Staying married has more to do with a commitment to work through issues than some date on a birth certificate. A lot of couples that get married in there 30's just have a different set of baggage than the young marrieds. Some get used to doing everything their way when they want to do it and it's hard for them to change.

Just face it. Marriage is work and I don't care when you do it there are more than enough obstacles to make it difficult at times. I would suggest the greatest life experience you could utilize in a young marriage is good financial savvy. Money problems are the number 1 reason for divorce and most Americans have proven they can't make good decisions well into their later years. You can dig a hole in a year or two that will take you 10-15 to dig out of.

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 02:12 PM
yeah, but after their long *** ceremony you NEED liquor

ya, i've been to some of those. But at every protestant wedding ive attended, short ceremony and then long *** receiving line, with no booze. **** you, I'm not waiting in line to give you a gift. I have found it is priest dependent. Tell em you want the drive through service. ;)

If you dont have open bar at your reception :eek: , I just think that makes you an a$$hole :mad: .

TopDaugIn2000
5/7/2007, 02:15 PM
ya, i've been to some of those. But at every protestant wedding ive attended, short ceremony and then long *** receiving line, with no booze. **** you, I'm not waiting in line to give you a gift. I have found it is priest dependent. Tell em you want the drive through service. ;)

If you dont have open bar at your reception :eek: , I just think that makes you an a$$hole :mad: .

yeah, the lines do suck, but at least you can talk and carry on while waiting. my friend's FULL catholic wedding was 1.5 hours. I'm sorry, but I can't sit still that long.

1stTimeCaller
5/7/2007, 02:16 PM
I always tell my mom that my dad was 32 when he got married and he did pretty good for himself. That keeps her quiet for a few months. I'll settle down when I want too. I'm working off of my schedule, not anyone else's. I think it helps that my big brother had a beta marriage.

achiro
5/7/2007, 02:18 PM
I just don't see how putting an age on it is right in any way? If you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you know.

Now I do think a whole lot of folks need a lot of help figuring out the whole dating thing and what the 'right" person really is. I've never understood people that just continue an exclusive relationship with someone they know isn't "the one" I mean, yeah, go out, have fun, stay friends but go out with other people as well... just DON'T mislead the first. Isn't that pretty much in a nutshell what dating is really suppose to be about anyway?

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 02:19 PM
Ya one of my problems is that she is the favorite of 3 sisters, and her mom just beat breast cancer so doesnt want to miss any moments (which I get). But I still just gotta do what I gotta do so that we can do what we gonna do.

yermom
5/7/2007, 02:22 PM
I just don't see how putting an age on it is right in any way? If you find the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you know.

Now I do think a whole lot of folks need a lot of help figuring out the whole dating thing and what the 'right" person really is. I've never understood people that just continue an exclusive relationship with someone they know isn't "the one" I mean, yeah, go out, have fun, stay friends but go out with other people as well... just DON'T mislead the first. Isn't that pretty much in a nutshell what dating is really suppose to be about anyway?

i agree on the age thing with a lot of things though, like drinking...

30 seems a bit high, anyway, i'd think at least being out of high school a while, though

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/7/2007, 02:55 PM
I can't imagine spending $25K on something that lasts a couple of hours. My mom has made it clear since I was a little girl that a big huge wedding that she'd have to mortgage the house to pay wasn't going to happen for me and I'm cool with that.

I'd much rather have a small wedding on a beach and a kickass party afterwards.

Fraggle145
5/7/2007, 03:25 PM
My parents told me growing up, I get 1 car, 1 degree, and 1 wedding. Sounds like a deal to me! :D

yermom
5/7/2007, 04:12 PM
i'm still working on the degree and the wedding, i had a lot more than 1 car though :O

TUSooner
5/7/2007, 05:35 PM
Mrs TU & I were 20 and quasi-stupid. We've lasted 30 years. Sometimes I think it's due to continued quasi-stupidity. :)

A total of 7 people were involved in our wedding: Her, me, her mom, my brother, my cousin, the preacher, and my trombone teacher at the US Armed Foces School of Music (it was a nice Christian gesture on his part, but he coulda skipped it). Biggest expenses: Large bottle of Dewars, dinner for 6 at Steak & Ale.
I told my eldest daughter she could elope, provided the guy was OK. But she says she'll have a "classy but simple and inexpensive" wedding. She better mean it, 'cuz the Mrs. & I will NOT go hog-wild for a wedding just to impress.... uh, who is it we're supposed to impress, anyway?

Add to your list of expensive social scams: HS graduation and the accompanying foofarah.

IronSooner
5/7/2007, 05:59 PM
Add to your list of expensive social scams: HS graduation and the accompanying foofarah.

Are you serious? All I remember about HS graduation is sitting in a chair waiting for my name, then throwing my hat in the air. Don't remember a damn thing that happened after that.

Toss me in with the crowd that just doesn't get why somebody would want to spend 10-20k on a couple hours of life. If I drop 20k, it's going to take me several weeks to do it, and I'll be doing it somewhere much more exotic than my (or her) home state.

Scott D
5/7/2007, 07:45 PM
I was thinking about how once upon a time there was the whole dowry bit. We need to bring that back.

olevetonahill
5/7/2007, 07:53 PM
If I ever get hitched again (:rolleyes: )
Im just gonna say, I did ;)

yermom
5/7/2007, 11:12 PM
Are you serious? All I remember about HS graduation is sitting in a chair waiting for my name, then throwing my hat in the air. Don't remember a damn thing that happened after that.

Toss me in with the crowd that just doesn't get why somebody would want to spend 10-20k on a couple hours of life. If I drop 20k, it's going to take me several weeks to do it, and I'll be doing it somewhere much more exotic than my (or her) home state.

i didn't even get to throw my hat :mad:

the gifts were pretty kickass though

Melo
5/7/2007, 11:18 PM
Before I get married, I will have been with the guy for..well, I'm thinking years. I mean, if he loves me, hell wait for me to be done with school, wait for me be okay financially, wait for things to just settle down so WE can settle down. I'm in no rush to be tied down, and honestly, I want to know that I am making the right decision. So far, things are good. Almost to the year mark, and I have managed to hold on to my 'no sex till marriage' promise to myself. Might have found myself a good one. Anyways, I was brought up that marriage is final, and short of beating, cheating, and some other few major problems, you make things work.

With that being said, I want a very small wedding. Church wedding, family and friends, nothing too big and fancy. Then I want a kick *** party.

VeeJay
5/8/2007, 08:40 AM
Almost to the year mark, and I have managed to hold on to my 'no sex till marriage' promise to myself. Might have found myself a good one. Anyways, I was brought up that marriage is final, and short of beating, cheating, and some other few major problems, you make things work.

Good for you! Mrs. VJ and I made the same commitment, even though we were both entering our second marriage. Technically, we did hold on to that vow, even though at times I felt like Bill Clinton, ya know, redefining "sex" from time to time, if you know what I mean. :O

TUSooner
5/8/2007, 09:18 AM
Are you serious? All I remember about HS graduation is sitting in a chair waiting for my name, then throwing my hat in the air. Don't remember a damn thing that happened after that....

Ehhh. Graduation prob'ly don't belong alongside the wedding hoo-ha. But we were just having a hubbub at home over grad pics, announcements, party, gifts, and few other aggravating details.

sanantoniosooner
5/8/2007, 11:29 AM
Good for you! Mrs. VJ and I made the same commitment, even though we were both entering our second marriage. Technically, we did hold on to that vow, even though at times I felt like Bill Clinton, ya know, redefining "sex" from time to time, if you know what I mean. :O
Your saying the veil or the gloves weren't white?

yermom
5/8/2007, 11:30 AM
i think he's saying the blue dress was

VeeJay
5/8/2007, 12:59 PM
Your saying the veil or the gloves weren't white?

Heh - I am glad Mrs. VJ doesn't read this board.
:D

TheHumanAlphabet
5/8/2007, 01:08 PM
VeeJay, offer to bribe them for an elopement...;)

Mrs. THA and I paid for our own wedding in Norman. We spent about 4K, for a nice tasteful sheebang! including the non-alcoholic after ceremony reception and the big dance at the Czech Hall in Yukon. Flowers were a "scam"...We found a nice florist in Noble that was less expensive and "airy" than in Norman.