PDA

View Full Version : Top Husker WR arrested for assualt and resisting arrest.

royalfan5
5/6/2007, 10:01 PM
http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/05/06/news/local/doc463e4a2a07981760604888.txt

I figure I might as well get this one out of the way. More Fulmer Cup points for us.

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 10:35 PM
Is Tom Osborne coming back too?

crimson&cream
5/6/2007, 10:41 PM
Those Cornball's up north always have a simple explination when they get into trouble--like this one "we were just talking" he forgot to mention it was with his fist.:eek:

IronSooner
5/6/2007, 11:00 PM
Those Cornball's up north always have a simple explination when they get into trouble--like this one "we were just talking" he forgot to mention it was with his fist.:eek:

People throw themselves down the stairs all the time. This is just another example of the weird behavior of people who hang out in the same places as football players.

goingoneight
5/6/2007, 11:02 PM
... sort of like that :stunned: who swears he's trying to help the sheep through the fence.

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 11:17 PM
... sort of like that :stunned: who swears he's trying to help the sheep through the fence.

Nice....excellent placement on this one!

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 12:02 AM
[bad joke] Someone needs to "purify" him... [/bad joke]

Seamus
5/7/2007, 12:05 AM

No, no, no -- he was using American Sign Language and just happened to raise his voice.

Hunyock
5/7/2007, 10:10 AM
On the plus side, our receivers are now big enough to start fights with bouncers.

We are on our way back baby.

SoonerStormchaser
5/7/2007, 10:14 AM
Hey guys...I hate to break it to you, but you've got a bit of a distance to cover before you overtake Georgia for this year's Fulmer Cup.

StuMondo
5/7/2007, 10:56 AM
This is just more proof that Nebraska is coming back to prominence!

;)

CincySooner
5/7/2007, 11:21 AM
I wonder if Purify fumbled his keys after he took his first hit from the bouncer.

snp
5/7/2007, 11:35 AM
Hey guys...I hate to break it to you, but you've got a bit of a distance to cover before you overtake Georgia for this year's Fulmer Cup.

You mean Penn State? Too bad a lot of their points are being subtracted.

goingoneight
5/10/2007, 07:18 PM
I wonder if Purify fumbled his keys after he took his first hit from the bouncer.

Too bad Reggie wasn't there to pick them up for him... what a guy, that Reggie Smith. :D

PAW
6/8/2007, 12:49 PM
Round 2

Purify cited on suspicion of drunken driving (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2398642)

LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify was cited early Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Deb Collins, public information coordinator for the Nebraska State Patrol, said Purify was stopped near North 1st Street and Cornhusker Highway in Lincoln. According to Collins, Purify was pulled over around 12:25 a.m. for speeding and failure to signal a turn.

No blood-alcohol level was released for Purify, 21, from Eureka, Calif.

Five weeks ago, Purify was involved in an incident at a Lincoln bar that led to charges of assault, failure to comply, resisting arrest and trespassing. Purify was believed to be headed for a pre-trial diversion program for that legal matter, and wasn't required to be in Lancaster County Court on Thursday for his scheduled arraignment.

It is not immediately known if the DUI charge would violate that agreement.

Purify is an All-Big 12 candidate who ranked as the Huskers' second-leading receiver last season, catching 34 passes for 630 yards and seven touchdowns. His last-second 9-yard TD catch on a Zac Taylor pass at Texas A&M gave NU a 28-27 lead.

fwsooner22
6/8/2007, 12:54 PM
What a joke that program has become!!!!!!!!!

Rhino
6/8/2007, 01:04 PM
I'd be surprised if this kid gets to stay on the team, but I don't know much about Callahillbilly's disciplining history.

If he's a goner, it's a big loss for Nebbish. Purify was a top-flight receiver.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 11:26 PM
They could do better, IMHO. Purify never really "wow'd" me like Kelly, Iggy, even Blowaman in Stoolwater is impressive at times.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 11:32 PM
Well..

They could be better, except they're going to have to fill their WR corps with a bunch of guys that were worse than him.

Who's the go-to guy now, Nate Swift? Terrance Nunn?

This is not good for the 'Huskers.

goingoneight
6/8/2007, 11:53 PM
They CAN DO better, as far as getting more quality guys. It's like losing Bomar at OU. Him leaving gives the leeches and rivals something to cry wolf about. You can always get another guy in who might struggle at first, but in the end be better for your program, it's rep, and it's record.

Not like Miami, Ohio State, and yes OSU at times where if you kick a good guy off the team, you're hard-pressed to find another for quite a while. That was moreso true when Lester was around though, I'll give Gumby credit for decent recruiting and disci-prine for a now. :D That and Lester didn't really do the whole disci-prine thingy.

OSUAggie
6/8/2007, 11:56 PM
They CAN DO better, as far as getting more quality guys. It's like losing Bomar at OU. Him leaving gives the leeches and rivals something to cry wolf about. You can always get another guy in who might struggle at first, but in the end be better for your program, it's rep, and it's record.

Not like Miami, Ohio State, and yes OSU at times where if you kick a good guy off the team, you're hard-pressed to find another for quite a while. That was moreso true when Lester was around though, I'll give Gumby credit for decent recruiting and disci-prine for a now. :D That and Lester didn't really do the whole disci-prine thingy.

:confused:

They're not in good shape at the WR position for 2007 (unless Purify plays).

This was his final year.

It's not like they got rid of a cancer that was going to be a problem for the next 3 years.

Rhino
6/9/2007, 12:58 AM
Purify is/was the best that Nebraska had. They can't get better receivers this year.

He is/was in the top five returning receivers in the Big 12 (behind Kelly and Bowman, on par with Sweed and Blythe).

goingoneight
6/9/2007, 01:03 AM
:confused:

They're not in good shape at the WR position for 2007 (unless Purify plays).

This was his final year.

It's not like they got rid of a cancer that was going to be a problem for the next 3 years.

You're right in the Les Miles' Philosophy. But a cancer is a cancer. You want it gone, even if you're 99 years old.

I know Nebraska (hello, major program, decent recruiting) will have someone who can catch passes, especially as much as Calahan likes to chuck the ball. It's not like the loss of an AA.

rainiersooner
6/9/2007, 01:10 AM
I bet Callahan suspends him for a couple of games and then he's back. Callahan has never showed that he's one for integrity imo.

royalfan5
6/9/2007, 09:50 AM
Well..

They could be better, except they're going to have to fill their WR corps with a bunch of guys that were worse than him.

Who's the go-to guy now, Nate Swift? Terrance Nunn?

This is not good for the 'Huskers.
Purify also got fat over the offseason. I think he would have contributed much less than you think. I would be surprised if Niles Paul has a huge impact as a freshman like his uncle did for us. In addition, there are a variety of redshirts that are waiting in the wings to contribute. Chris Brooks, Eric Hagg etc. Since Callahan has been here he has been able to get production out of a wide variety of guys. I don't see why this would be any different.

royalfan5
6/9/2007, 09:51 AM
I bet Callahan suspends him for a couple of games and then he's back. Callahan has never showed that he's one for integrity imo.
Does OU automatically kick people off the team for a DUI, and a dismissed charge? Or is that a standard only NU is held too.

goingoneight
6/9/2007, 03:17 PM
It's a WR... not like a RB or a QB. As long as he has size, speed and D-1 skills (which if he doesn't, why would Calahan recruit him), he'll be able (whoever he is) to contribute as a true frosh if needed.

Nebraska's a good enough program, that they bring in decent talent. Whether folks like Calahan or not... they'll be fine. royalfan5 pointed out that there are always kids in line for such positions at major programs. Purify never wowed anyone like Kelly, Bowman or Clayton, etc. He ran okay routes and made some catches. He also was a cancer off the field and got out of shape in the off-season. I'll reiterate, methinks Nebraska will be fine without him if he's axed.

Flagstaffsooner
6/9/2007, 04:59 PM
Does OU automatically kick people off the team for a DUI, and a dismissed charge? Or is that a standard only NU is held too.If it is in a Big Red Imports car.;)

yermom
6/9/2007, 05:16 PM
Does OU automatically kick people off the team for a DUI, and a dismissed charge? Or is that a standard only NU is held too.

he better find a bike to ride to practice ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/18/2007, 09:34 PM
pleads No Contest and gets probation

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2941428

Receiver already suspended by coach Callahan
Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify pleaded no contest to four charges Wednesday as part of a deal with prosecutors.

A Lancaster County judge sentenced him to a year of probation and fined him $1,250. He has already been suspended from the team by coach Bill Callahan.

Purify was found guilty of driving while intoxicated, assault, disturbing the peace and hindering arrest. The charges stem from two incidents earlier this year.

While on probation, Purify won't be allowed to enter a bar or any business that primarily sells alcohol, and he must attend drug and alcohol counseling. For 60 days, Purify will have the choice of not driving or having a device attached to his car ignition that will ensure he is sober before he can start the vehicle.

A spokesman for Callahan said the coach had no comment but would address the issue in the next few days. Purify was suspended indefinitely from the team last month.

"I do not know if I will be fortunate enough to play another game at Nebraska," Purify said in a statement. "I hope that I can be afforded a second chance to do what I love to do -- play football for Nebraska."

Purify led the Cornhuskers in receiving yards last season, with 34 catches for 630 yards and seven touchdowns.

Purify was arrested May 5 and charged on several counts, including two for assault, after an altercation at a Lincoln bar. Last month he was cited on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

As part of the agreement with prosecutors, one of the assault charges and a charge of refusing to obey a police order were dropped. Also, a trespassing charge was reduced to disturbing the peace.

Purify apologized in his statement to family, friends, teammates and Callahan.

Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten, said the plea deal was appropriate.

"It's the exact same sentence anyone else would get in this circumstance," Braaten said.

Purify played at City College of San Francisco before joining Nebraska.

colleyvillesooner
7/18/2007, 09:36 PM
My guess is he practices in the Fall, but sits the first game.

royalfan5
7/18/2007, 09:51 PM
My guess is he practices in the Fall, but sits the first game.
I'm hoping Callahan really shows him by suspending him for the Ball State game.

JohnnyMack
7/18/2007, 10:05 PM

Well at least the first half.

Seamus
7/18/2007, 10:10 PM
Receiver already suspended by coach Callahan
Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify pleaded no contest to four charges Wednesday as part of a deal with prosecutors, all of whom are Nebraska season ticket holders.

A Lancaster County judge sentenced him to a year of probation and fined him $1,250, the cost of two season tickets ...

Fixed ...

MojoRisen
7/18/2007, 11:44 PM
Hey, he should get another shot- he is under a watchfull eye and I lived in Nebaraska before- I bet he got kicked out of the bar and left and the cops pulled him over and busted him.... Hey not good but that can be blown out of proportion these days- I remember days when we cleared out the frat house because of an altercation- and if you left and that was that - you were not bothered otherwise. Of course that was then and this is now and you have to remember that big time.

colleyvillesooner
7/19/2007, 08:39 AM

I just saw where USC isn't until your third game. Now I think he suspends him the first two games..I mean C'mon, Wake won the ACC last year, that's a punishment!!

royalfan5
7/19/2007, 08:46 AM
I just saw where USC isn't until your third game. Now I think he suspends him the first two games..I mean C'mon, Wake won the ACC last year, that's a punishment!!
But wouldn't sitting him down after the hard part of the non-conference schedule teach him more of a lesson? I tend to think so.

SoonerBOI
7/19/2007, 08:54 AM
that's your boy, Bill!

NormanPride
7/19/2007, 09:19 AM
He'll sit the last 10 minutes of every blowout. That will surely equal one game, and that's plenty punishment enough for such a heinous crime.