PDA

View Full Version : i really really hate the weather people that interupt my tv

Hatfield
5/6/2007, 03:16 PM
seriously.

thanks for letting me know for the past 45 minutes that not a lot going on in and around woodward.

oumartin
5/6/2007, 03:18 PM
I do! thank you very much
I am on my basement steps flipping you the bird as I type this! :D

sanantoniosooner
5/6/2007, 03:53 PM
I'm convinced that we will one day lose a poster from this forum due to a storm situation and all the whining about the weather breaks will cease.

oumartin
5/6/2007, 03:58 PM
http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/

here, enjoy these and keep complaining!

Hatfield
5/6/2007, 04:00 PM
to clarify

i hate the stream of conscious "reporting"; cut in when you have something to say and then get back to programming.

mindlessly saying the same thing over and over and checking in with people with nothing new to report is assinine...just seems like an unorganized clusterf*ck of no real info

yermom
5/6/2007, 04:01 PM

:eek:

there were only 9 fatalities?

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2007, 04:03 PM
I missed the whole damned hockey game! Thanks Mike Moron!

yermom
5/6/2007, 04:04 PM
to clarify

i hate the stream of conscious "reporting"; cut in when you have something to say and then get back to programming.

mindlessly saying the same thing over and over and checking in with people with nothing new to report is assinine...just seems like an unorganized clusterf*ck of no real info

yeah, there does seem to be a bit of "YAY! this is my big chance to be on TV!"

there needs to be a direct feed for DVR or something though ;)

Newbomb Turk
5/6/2007, 04:07 PM

those are some amazing photos. God help those people.

and you western Okies, be safe this afternoon.

BajaOklahoma
5/6/2007, 04:24 PM
The earier pictures that I saw failed to show the extent of the damage.

The issue, as I see it, is that excessive coverage with little information updating is irritating - whether it is your backyard or across the state that is receiving the weather. The storm-that-blew-over-Slickdaughter's-playhouse is an example of weathercasters gone bad. I think they were told to fill up the air. I did find the predictions of when the storm would reach certain areas helpful though.

In case any of you ever move to this area, consider yourself warned that most of the bad weather hits Fort Worth and falls apart or it goes to the southside of Dallas. Not great areas to live for that reason.

Soonerus
5/6/2007, 04:30 PM
Tabloid weathermen, what do you expect ????

John Kochtoston
5/6/2007, 05:46 PM
I missed the whole damned hockey game! Thanks Mike Moron!

No ****! Most of those towns are closer to Lawton, Amarillo, Wichita or Lubbock anyway. Let them cover it!:mad:

SoonerTerry
5/6/2007, 09:03 PM
You guys gotta be kiddin

Screw american idol.. I wanna know if there is a killer in my neighborhood

I think the reason they stay with it is to make sure they are on the air with the warning for the people just tuning in..

Does anyone else here remember when we didn't get all these warnings and info? I do.. and I wouldnt go back to that time for all the CSI's in the world..

StoopTroup
5/6/2007, 09:06 PM
I'm glad they don't name tornados like they do hurricanes.

"Tornado LaTawnia ripped through McCurtain County last night...."

Okla-homey
5/6/2007, 09:23 PM
I heard some comedian once opine that they should give hurricanes scary names so people would respect them more.

Example: Hurricane Dracula is barreling down on the Florida Keys and will make landfall tomorrow at 8am. Meanwhile, Hurricane Hitler is building strength in the Atlantic and could make landfall next Tuesday. The third named storm of the season, Hurricane Frankenstein is now wobbling around in the Gulf of Mexico and may hit Galveston., etc.

John Kochtoston
5/6/2007, 09:35 PM
You guys gotta be kiddin

Screw american idol.. I wanna know if there is a killer in my neighborhood

I think the reason they stay with it is to make sure they are on the air with the warning for the people just tuning in..

Does anyone else here remember when we didn't get all these warnings and info? I do.. and I wouldnt go back to that time for all the CSI's in the world..

The thing is, they're not providing warnings, they're just babbling on and on, repeating the same thing over and over.
There is a happy medium. Put up a graphic overlay. Run a crawl. Go live DURING COMMERCIALS. Break in if something is happening RIGHT NOW IN/NEAR A CITY/TOWN IN YOUR COVERAGE AREA. But you don't need to preempt programming to inform us of a sunshine alert in northwest Alaska.

That, and I'm ****ed that the Rangers lost.

oumartin
5/6/2007, 09:45 PM
the thing in these severe storms can spawn tornados at anytime. They keep on the line with these spotters in case such a thing happens. by the time they break in they could possibly be losing critical moments. its just a theory but I believe after the may 3 incident they are overly cautious and I cannot believe people bellyache about it.

John Kochtoston
5/6/2007, 10:25 PM
the thing in these severe storms can spawn tornados at anytime. They keep on the line with these spotters in case such a thing happens. by the time they break in they could possibly be losing critical moments. its just a theory but I believe after the may 3 incident they are overly cautious and I cannot believe people bellyache about it.

So, during the commercial (22 mins. of commercial time an hour is plenty to give warnings), and on the crawl, say
"Everyone in Bowlegs, there is a severe storm in your area capable of producing a tornado. We're advising you to take shelter." Then IF a spotter actually sees a tornado, go ahead and break in.

sanantoniosooner
5/6/2007, 10:29 PM
I hope the next person that whines gets knocked out by a hail stone.

OUinFLA
5/6/2007, 10:33 PM
just seems like an unorganized clusterf*ck of no real info

I think you just described tv in general?

OUinFLA
5/6/2007, 10:36 PM
Example: Hurricane Dracula is barreling down on the Florida Keys and will make landfall tomorrow at 8am. Meanwhile, Hurricane Hitler is building strength in the Atlantic and could make landfall next Tuesday. The third named storm of the season, Hurricane Frankenstein is now wobbling around in the Gulf of Mexico and may hit Galveston., etc.

you may have just predicted my summer. :eek:

MamaMia
5/6/2007, 10:54 PM
As someone who was right in the path of all these tornadoes, hail storms and thunderstorms, I'm grateful for the coverage and for the storm chasers reports. We had to hide under blankets and pillows 4 times this weekend while the sirens were going off for what seemed like an eternity, all the while knowing that at least one tornado was on the ground or hovering near us.

I know that they were repeating themselves and letting us know that nothing had changed for a while, but I just felt more at ease when I heard their voices and what they were saying.