PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens just announced.....

Salt City Sooner
5/6/2007, 02:21 PM
he's a Yankee again.

sanantoniosooner
5/6/2007, 02:24 PM
I hate the Yankees.

You may continue your thread now.

:D

Newbomb Turk
5/6/2007, 02:32 PM
one more reason to hate that jackass.

Scott D
5/6/2007, 04:15 PM
On a bright note, it's not like he can really tarnish his non statistical reputation any more than he already has.

The suppossed stipulations in his contract are a joke. But then again, so has the yankees pitching staff been so far most of this season.

tulsaoilerfan
5/6/2007, 05:57 PM
4.5 million a month for Clemens; not bad work if you can get it

GrapevineSooner
5/6/2007, 07:52 PM
*Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn*

Roger wouldn't be able to crack the top 4 of the Red Sox rotation.

Hence the reason he signed with the Yanks. They need the pitching help a lot more than Boston does.

oufan1
5/6/2007, 08:14 PM
AWESOME!!!!!

TopDawg
5/6/2007, 08:26 PM
*Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn*

Roger wouldn't be able to crack the top 4 of the Red Sox rotation.

Hence the reason he signed with the Yanks. They need the pitching help a lot more than Boston does.

That didn't stop Boston from trying. They were willing to shell out pretty big bucks (albeit not as big as New York) for what, in your opinion, would've been their 5th starter (at best).

bri
5/6/2007, 09:31 PM
Heh, I love Sawx fans. If he'd gone back to Boston, they'd be wetting themselves with glee.

As it is, this reeks of desperation. And desperation is a stinky cologne.

TopDawg
5/6/2007, 09:37 PM
As it is, this reeks of desperation. And desperation is a stinky cologne.

I think it's less desperation than it is "nanny-nanny boo-boo."

I'm growing weary of the ****ing contests we're seeing permeate sports off the playing field. In college it's with coaches' salaries and facilities. In pro sports, especially baseball, it's with contracts. The Yankees/Red Sox are the two biggest offenders and it's pretty lame.

I mean, I love the Yankees and, surprisingly, I don't hate the Red Sox, but this part of their organizations really bugs me.

GrapevineSooner
5/7/2007, 10:50 AM
Honestly, I would have met a Red Sox signing of Clemens with the same amount of enthusiasm as I would have the Rangers signing of Sammy Sosa.

He's 44 and he'll have the same pitching arrangement in New York that he had in Houston (i.e. He'll skip road starts at his own convenience).

I have no doubts that Roger will be able to make the Yankees starting rotation a little better. But not enough to make a difference.

This isn't the murderer's row of Roger, Moose, Pettite, and El Duque, that it once was in the late 90's/early 00's.

GrapevineSooner
5/7/2007, 11:04 AM
I think it's less desperation than it is "nanny-nanny boo-boo."

I'm growing weary of the ****ing contests we're seeing permeate sports off the playing field. In college it's with coaches' salaries and facilities. In pro sports, especially baseball, it's with contracts. The Yankees/Red Sox are the two biggest offenders and it's pretty lame.

I mean, I love the Yankees and, surprisingly, I don't hate the Red Sox, but this part of their organizations really bugs me.
Almost as bad as what happened in 2005 when both teams tied for the AL East title and the Yankees won on a tiebreaker. Yet, the Red Sox insisted on putting Boston ahead of New York on the standings scoreboard on the Green Monster during the playoffs.

Sometimes it just gets downright silly.

Kind of like Mark Cuban's needling of the Spurs organization.

tulsaoilerfan
5/7/2007, 05:09 PM
That's an obscene amount of $ to pay for any pitcher, especially one fixing to be 45, yet i don't hear anyone griping about it like they do Arod's contract.

bri
5/7/2007, 05:27 PM
Kind of like Mark Cuban's needling of the entire NBA.

:D

GrapevineSooner
5/8/2007, 10:25 AM
That's an obscene amount of $ to pay for any pitcher, especially one fixing to be 45, yet i don't hear anyone griping about it like they do Arod's contract.
Well, as I've said 1,342,646 times before, don't blame the Yankees. Well, in part because the Red Sox aren't much better from that standpoint ;)

If you have that kind of money to throw around in a system where there isn't a hard cap, you might as well throw it around.

Likewise, don't blame Roger for taking that much money.

Scott D
5/8/2007, 10:49 AM
So if the Yanquis fail to make the postseason, will this be the worst $32 Million (including the luxury tax hit) for 4 months in the history of baseball?

TopDawg
5/9/2007, 07:14 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. A few years ago the Yankees let the balance shift from doing good baseball to doing good business. They've been really good at both for the past decade, but within the last few years they've put more emphasis on the business side. So if (when) the Roger Clemens deal earns them a lot of money in merchandising, ratings, ticket sales, etc....then maybe it's not so bad even if they end up missing the postseason.

TopDawg
9/28/2007, 10:03 AM
So if the Yanquis fail to make the postseason, will this be the worst $32 Million (including the luxury tax hit) for 4 months in the history of baseball?

I believe this is a...how do you say...moot point? :D

Scott D
9/28/2007, 10:49 AM
When he gets busted for being a roider, will it still be a moot point?

TopDawg
9/28/2007, 10:53 AM
Yes. You know, since the Yankees made the postseason and the question you posed started with "So if the Yanquis fail to make the postseason,"

Scott D
9/28/2007, 10:57 AM
This is going to be the lowest rated postseason outside of Boston, LA, and NY.

TopDawg
9/28/2007, 11:14 AM
That's not a particularly bold statement since sports ratings continue to drop just about everywhere you look.

But this weekend is shaping up to be pretty exciting. 7 NL teams still in the mix for the 4 playoff spots.

Scott D
9/28/2007, 11:24 AM
well you forgot to mention that the TV execs will love it simply because "all" televisions that matter are in those three markets.