PDA

View Full Version : Oscar & Floyd...did they help boxing?

8timechamps
5/6/2007, 01:13 AM
I watched the fight, and it was for the most it was pretty boring. Boxing just isn't what it used to be.

Although it was a split decision, and I like Oscar, and can't stand Floyd, the fight wasn't that close. I think the judge that didn't give Mayweather the win was watching another fight, or was swayed by the crowd (or money...or both).

Soonerus
5/6/2007, 01:15 AM
No, boxing was not helped....

yermom
5/6/2007, 01:33 AM
seems like no one cares about mini-half-junior welterweight or whatever they are

doesn't seem like anyone has really cared since Tyson lost to Douglas

soonerboomer93
5/6/2007, 01:35 AM
boxing is dead...

critical_phil
5/6/2007, 01:36 AM
i care about chuck liddell fighting rampage jackson though.

Soonerus
5/6/2007, 01:39 AM
Whites have created ultimite fights to pre-empt the boxing buzzz....

yermom
5/6/2007, 01:42 AM
i care about chuck liddell fighting rampage jackson though.

i might rather watch grass grow, or paint dry

critical_phil
5/6/2007, 01:45 AM
BOO!

Rhino
5/6/2007, 01:46 AM
When it costs $4500 for a bar to have the fight on their TV, there's no saving the already dead sport.

They've priced themselves out of the market of general fans.

Widescreen
5/6/2007, 07:51 AM
Whites have created ultimite fights to pre-empt the boxing buzzz....
Yeah, I'm sure that was the intent of the creators of the UFC. To give whites a chance to compete in fighting. Excellent observation. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
5/6/2007, 08:57 AM
Boxing maybe be dead in America, but not in the rest of the world.

bluedogok
5/6/2007, 11:25 AM
When it costs $4500 for a bar to have the fight on their TV, there's no saving the already dead sport.

They've priced themselves out of the market of general fans.
That and 96 second fights by Mike Tyson......

They went after the big money and alienated a large segment of the fan base that will not pay the ridiculous fees they want. I used to watch big boxing matches when it was on free-TV or even HBO/Showtime, as soon as it went to pay-per-view they lost me. We would go watch fights at the T-Bar or other places when they had them, but the aforementioned 96 second Tyson-Spinks fight ended many bars and the general public from paying for the fights. My father-in-law is a big boxing fan and watches it whenever it is on, he has HBO and Showtime for boxing but he doesn't buy the PPV fights.

Boxing has ruined their own sport with corrupt people and absolute greed.

royalfan5
5/6/2007, 11:37 AM
That and 96 second fights by Mike Tyson......

They went after the big money and alienated a large segment of the fan base that will not pay the ridiculous fees they want. I used to watch big boxing matches when it was on free-TV or even HBO/Showtime, as soon as it went to pay-per-view they lost me. We would go watch fights at the T-Bar or other places when they had them, but the aforementioned 96 second Tyson-Spinks fight ended many bars and the general public from paying for the fights. My father-in-law is a big boxing fan and watches it whenever it is on, he has HBO and Showtime for boxing but he doesn't buy the PPV fights.

Boxing has ruined their own sport with corrupt people and absolute greed.
Really big fights haven't been on free TV for a long time. Ali vs. Liston, Foreman, and Frazier were closed circuit fights. People had to pay to go watch them too.

usmc-sooner
5/6/2007, 11:59 AM
PPV actually helped kill boxing on the amateur level which leads to less good fighters turning pro. PPV also killed the poor kids interest in boxing and the public support.

Side note to the whole Mayweather camp, you're supposed to be pro's and you guys act like your auditioning for the role of a new Rocky Balboa villian. Be professional when you're on camera, nobody wants to watch you drop the F-bomb, and whipping *** comments with their kids. Same goes for Dana White, dude you're old and cussing around on the camera doesn't make you look young, tough or cool, it makes you look like you're pathetically reaching.

SoonerStormchaser
5/6/2007, 04:05 PM
To answer the original question...NO!

Never watched it...never will

Suerreal
5/6/2007, 05:05 PM
Boxing has many problems:

1. General disrepute. This has always been an issue, but Mike Tyson really made this a lot worse.

2. Growing realization that few escape a boxing career unscathed. Watching Ali make a public appearance now shows this all too clearly. And he had the skills to duck most of what was thrown at him. What about all the never-weres that took them?

3. PPV priced it out of the reach of the blue-collar fan base.

Yeah, boxing is dead in the US.