PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or WII

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:31 PM
So, I'm wanting to get a new console, but I'm torn between the Wii and Xbox 360. I've never tried the wii, but the whole motion detection thing looks like a hell of a lot of fun. On the other hand, I'm big on higher quality graphics and more complex games and from what I understand the Xbox has the wii beat in both of those areas.

Are the 360 graphics really that much better than Wii and is the motion detection feature the only thing the wii really has over the 360?

TopDawg
5/5/2007, 11:33 PM
I've never played the Wii, but the motion detection thing clearly is their hook. It looks cool and all, but I love my 360. 'Specially when I can sneak in and hook it up to the HDTV.

SoonerGirl06
5/5/2007, 11:34 PM
Wii.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:34 PM
I've never played the Wii, but the motion detection thing clearly is their hook. It looks cool and all, but I love my 360. 'Specially when I can sneak in and hook it up to the HDTV.
Is it HDTV ready or does it require some extra adapter or some such nonsense to display in HD?

GottaHavePride
5/5/2007, 11:35 PM
Yes, the graphics are better on a 360. The Wii is a good console, and fun to play, but if you want the high-tech Gears of War sort of thing, the 360 is way out in front.

SicEmBaylor
Wii.
If I get one you want to come over and play with my wii? :texan:

GottaHavePride
Is it HDTV ready or does it require some extra adapter or some such nonsense to display in HD?

I'm pretty sure the 360 has HD output. so long as you have the right cable to hook it to your tv you're set.

OUstud
5/5/2007, 11:36 PM
c. PS3 (biased)

GottaHavePride
5/5/2007, 11:37 PM
c. PS3 (biased)

Heh. More expensive than the 360 with fewer games out.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, the graphics are better on a 360. The Wii is a good console, and fun to play, but if you want the high-tech Gears of War sort of thing, the 360 is way out in front.
Yeah, that's about what I thought. I'm thinking the WII would be fun to play around with but not for serious gaming.

The only thing I hate about the 360 is the fact that I've got spend an extra $100 on the hard drive when the original came with an internal one.

Will this one at least play DVDs immediately or do I have to get another damned attachment like on the original Xbox?

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:38 PM
c. PS3 (biased)
Yeah it's just too expensive, and I love my xbox and never really got into the whole playstation thing. Plus, the Xbox 360 is backward compatible with my old xbox games so that's a huge factor.

SoonerGirl06
5/5/2007, 11:39 PM
If I get one you want to come over and play with my wii? :texan:

Only if you think you can handle having someone play with your Wii....

you know how guys are with their toys.

:D :D :D

GottaHavePride
5/5/2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that's about what I thought. I'm thinking the WII would be fun to play around with but not for serious gaming.

The only thing I hate about the 360 is the fact that I've got spend an extra $100 on the hard drive when the original came with an internal one.

Will this one at least play DVDs immediately or do I have to get another damned attachment like on the original Xbox?

Extra $100 on the hard drive? Since when? - the 360 has a built-in 20 GB hard drive. Now, it DOES cost extra to get the 120 GB model, but there you go.

Oh, and regular DVD's are built-in, I believe. HD-DVD's will require an external drive or something.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:41 PM
Extra $100 on the hard drive? Since when? - the 360 has a built-in 20 GB hard drive. Now, it DOES cost extra to get the 120 GB model, but there you go.

Oh, and regular DVD's are built-in, I believe. HD-DVD's will require an external drive or something.

Oh they do? I was going to go cheap and just get the "core gaming system" which is the absolute most basic package. I didn't think it came with any kind of hard drive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7457744&st=xbox&type=product&id=1125465187568

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:43 PM
Only if you think you can handle having someone play with your Wii....

you know how guys are with their toys.

:D :D :D

Solo play is fun, but it's always better with a friend.

The golf game looks like fun, but if it's an accurate representation of my actual golf play then I'll miss the hole completely and hit it into the rough.

SoonerGirl06
5/5/2007, 11:45 PM
Solo play is fun, but it's always better with a friend.

The golf game looks like fun, but if it's an accurate representation of my actual golf play then I'll miss the hole completely and hit it into the rough.

Seems like you need to really practice your golf game then. Practice does make perfect, ya know.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:46 PM
Hey GHP, is that Gears of War pretty good? I've seriously been wanting to play it which is a big part of my motivation for getting an Xbox 360....plus I want Halo 3 whenever it comes out (I think later this year?)

rufnek05
5/5/2007, 11:48 PM
360 all the way. guitar hero II. and halo 3 coming soon

josh09
5/5/2007, 11:50 PM

HD 360 to add something else.

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:53 PM
I'll get the 360. I need a HD tv now! I just have a basic 21" at the moment. Do you still get the full graphics effects from a standard TV it's just they don't look as good?

I've never been too big on consoles prefering PC games, but is having a standard TV as opposed to a HDTV comparable to turning down the graphics settings on a PC game to increase frame rate?

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:54 PM
Seems like you need to really practice your golf game then. Practice does make perfect, ya know.
Well, in that case bring a friend and we'll make the round a threesome.

GottaHavePride
5/6/2007, 12:00 AM
Oh, my bad - I didn't realize they were selling a $299 version. I thought the $399 version WAS the low end, and then the 120GB version costs $600+

Oh, and I've played Gears of War once, and it was awesome. I totally suck at it, though, because it's quite different from Halo, which I am not terrible at. The graphics are damn near cinematic quality.

and as to your standard vs. High-def question I don't have a clue. I don't own a 360 myself yet, I just mooch off people that do.

Frozen Sooner
5/6/2007, 12:01 AM
1. The 360 is capable of outputting a 1080i or 720p signal out of the box, which are both HD standards. It does not have an HDMI out, which is somewhat of a drag for people who have high-end home theaters, but it does have component video outs which can carry HD video signals.

2. No, playing a native 720p or 1080i game on standard-def TV is not comparable to lowering your graphics settings to increase framerate. More comparable to decreasing the resolution on your monitor. Actually, scratch that. It's exactly like decreasing the resolution on your monitor. On a kind of crappy monitor.

3. Wait for the 360 Elite to come out. Supposedly, when it does, the higher-end 360 system will drop in price.

TopDawg
5/6/2007, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the 360 has HD output. so long as you have the right cable to hook it to your tv you're set.

Yeah, I didn't have to buy anything extra.

If you have a Sam's card and easy access to one of their locations, check in to what they're offering in the way of 360's. When I bought mine, I was able to basically get one wireless controller for free the way it was packaged. It was not quite that much of a savings, but really close.

SoonerGirl06
5/6/2007, 12:06 AM
Well, in that case bring a friend and we'll make the round a threesome.

I'm not sure you could handle my golf game. I have a wicked swing.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure you could handle my golf game. I have a wicked swing.
I've been accused of swinging different ways, but it's not true.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I didn't have to buy anything extra.

If you have a Sam's card and easy access to one of their locations, check in to what they're offering in the way of 360's. When I bought mine, I was able to basically get one wireless controller for free the way it was packaged. It was not quite that much of a savings, but really close.

My parents have a Sam's card. I recall seeing some kind of package deal from them, but I don't remember how much it was.

critical_phil
5/6/2007, 12:40 AM
3. Wait for the 360 Elite to come out.

it's out. i bought one last week.

SoonerGirl06
5/6/2007, 12:42 AM
I've been accused of swinging different ways, but it's not true.

Yeah... it's important to have the right swing if you intend to have a good and intense game.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah... it's important to have the right swing if you intend to have a good and intense game.
Unfortunately, I've never been able to play a full game.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:49 AM
The elite system would be awesome, but it has a lot of stuff I really don't think I'll need. I don't see myself needing more than 20 gigs since I don't play THAT much unless I could somehow use the 360 as a DVR.

I don't care about the color of the thing and other **** either. The Xbox LIVE thing looks really cool which I've never used before, but I don't want to use the headset...I definitely don't want to hear some strange bozo bull****ting while I'm pWning his *** in Halo.

SoonerGirl06
5/6/2007, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately, I've never been able to play a full game.

Keep practicing... you'll get the swing of it.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:52 AM
Keep practicing... you'll get the swing of it.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't find a course to play on!

But, I'll let you know how the round goes when I do. :D

SoonerGirl06
5/6/2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't find a course to play on!

But, I'll let you know how the round goes when I do. :D

I hear there's some really good ones out there. You just gotta know where to look.

Please do. :D

Frozen Sooner
5/6/2007, 01:20 AM
The elite system would be awesome, but it has a lot of stuff I really don't think I'll need. I don't see myself needing more than 20 gigs since I don't play THAT much unless I could somehow use the 360 as a DVR.

I don't care about the color of the thing and other **** either. The Xbox LIVE thing looks really cool which I've never used before, but I don't want to use the headset...I definitely don't want to hear some strange bozo bull****ting while I'm pWning his *** in Halo.

OK, since the Elite is out and you plan on upgrading to an HDTV at some point, buy that simply for the HDMI out.

achiro
5/6/2007, 11:53 AM
unless I could somehow use the 360 as a DVR.
It is already in the works. As I understand it, only in areas that have fiber optic cable for now but shouldn't be long until its ready all over.

The Xbox LIVE thing looks really cool which I've never used before, but I don't want to use the headset...I definitely don't want to hear some strange bozo bull****ting while I'm pWning his *** in Halo.
I had kind of gotten away from gaming until a couple of years ago when I discovered xbox live. It's a blast when you take AI out of the equation and add some other dumbass geek on the other end trying to shoot you. I am a GRAW fan myself.

Back to the original question. Get a 360, no question. A Wii is much cheaper and can be added later if you really want it.(We have both in our house and I haven't turned on the Wii in a couple of months)

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:33 PM
It is already in the works. As I understand it, only in areas that have fiber optic cable for now but shouldn't be long until its ready all over.

I had kind of gotten away from gaming until a couple of years ago when I discovered xbox live. It's a blast when you take AI out of the equation and add some other dumbass geek on the other end trying to shoot you. I am a GRAW fan myself.

Back to the original question. Get a 360, no question. A Wii is much cheaper and can be added later if you really want it.(We have both in our house and I haven't turned on the Wii in a couple of months)

I'm not too sure how I'm going to set up the Xbox live here. The net here is wireless, and the router is in my roommate's bedroom on the other side of the house. I'm trying to think of ways to run an ethernet line from there to here. The ceiling isn't paneled so that's out...I could run it along the base boards but that's going to be one hell of a long cord.

GottaHavePride
5/6/2007, 12:37 PM
If your roommate is connecting wireless, too, then just put the router in the living room next to the tv instead. If your roommate is using a direct connection, have them get a wireless card - they don't cost that much.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 12:55 PM
If your roommate is connecting wireless, too, then just put the router in the living room next to the tv instead. If your roommate is using a direct connection, have them get a wireless card - they don't cost that much.

Not real sure how he connects himself. There's actually nothing at all in the living room. Each of us has a TV in our own rooms and we don't have a central-common area really. Now, my other roommate does have a hard wire router, and I have no clue in hell how he connects or what he does with it. I'll have to talk to him about it later. He also somehow gets expanded cable in his room when I don't and the roommate who actually owns teh house doesn't.

proud gonzo
5/6/2007, 01:21 PM

know how I know you're gay?

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 01:27 PM
know how I know you're gay?
know how I know you need new material?

Rusher
5/6/2007, 01:43 PM
You'd better hold off getting 360 until this late fall cause they're gonna release the 65nm chip which is a lot cooler and energy efficient. 360 gets hot really easily and there are speculation that it melts some of the solders inside.

My 360 was broken after only 4-5 months in possession. I've read a lot of news about 360 reliability issues with other 360 breaking down for no reason (even if you take good care of it).

If you got enough mulah, though, get all 3 consoles. I got PS3 and Wii so far (gave the broken 360 away to my bro).

Just my 2 cents

yermom
5/6/2007, 04:54 PM

yeah, i'd be telling him to F off and go buy a wireless bridge if he wanted me to drop the wired connection

they are entirely too expensive though, i mean it's less complex than a router, yet more expensive

i can find a router for like $30, but the gaming wireless adapters are still like $80+

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 05:15 PM
I could look on BIN for a used one I suppose or wait for someone to post one.
Baylor has its own ebay type thing. I bet someone sells one at some point.

achiro
5/6/2007, 05:27 PM
The 360 is wireless compatible. I run mine on live through a wireless setup/

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 05:31 PM
The 360 is wireless compatible. I run mine on live through a wireless setup/
Your kids gotta love you. My dad bought a colecovision when I was a kid and still talks about how great it is. If I mention any kind of the latest technology to him it's like a deer in the headlights followed by, "oh God how much is that going to cost me?" :D

sanantoniosooner
5/6/2007, 05:34 PM
Your kids gotta love you. My dad bought a colecovision when I was a kid and still talks about how great it is. If I mention any kind of the latest technology to him it's like a deer in the headlights followed by, "oh God how much is that going to cost me?" :D
Your dad bought you condoms.

Perhaps he's like to see you put the game controller down.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 05:51 PM
Your dad bought you condoms.

Perhaps he's like to see you put the game controller down.

Well, he was kidding. That's his idea of a sense of humor.

TopDawg
5/6/2007, 07:23 PM
(gave the broken 360 away to my bro).

With siblings like these...

;)

BajaOklahoma
5/6/2007, 07:29 PM
If you get a Wii, you can join the Facebook group for people with Wii injuries. Because I know you will qualify eventually.
This could make it to the vbookie bets.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 07:41 PM
If you get a Wii, you can join the Facebook group for people with Wii injuries. Because I know you will qualify eventually.
This could make it to the vbookie bets.
You misunderestimate me. I'm perfectly capable of hurting myself with an Xbox 360.

SoonerStud615
5/6/2007, 11:02 PM
I own both a 360 and a wii. The wii is definately fun because of the motion sensing capability. And yes, that is the only thing it has over 360. So, really the only question you need to ask yourself is: Do i want to have a bunch of people over and have a good time playing wii? Or: Do i want to be hopped up on energy drinks playing 360 until 4:30 in the morning having a good time pwning n00bs?

Melo
5/6/2007, 11:05 PM
I went to see my bf on Friday, and he made me play the Wii with him. (:D But not really). Played bowling. I beat him both times. :D

Wii's are fun, I hate Xbox. Theres your answer.

Oh, and did you tell mom and dad Id like a Wii? Make sure they send it soon.

:)

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2007, 11:17 PM
I own both a 360 and a wii. The wii is definately fun because of the motion sensing capability. And yes, that is the only thing it has over 360. So, really the only question you need to ask yourself is: Do i want to have a bunch of people over and have a good time playing wii? Or: Do i want to be hopped up on energy drinks playing 360 until 4:30 in the morning having a good time pwning n00bs?
360 it is!

Vaevictis
5/6/2007, 11:36 PM
I own a Wii. I've always been a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, but they've really bottled lightning with these controls. Normally, sports games bore me pretty quickly, but I've been playing Madden 2007 since Christmas. That's unusual -- if it was a regular control game, I'd have put it down within a few weeks of getting it.

These controls also have some serious potential with respect to FPS style games -- I don't normally like them much, but the whole point and shoot aspect has some very strong potential. I don't think Call of Duty got it quite right, but it's close. If they get it right, I can see all of the FPS gamers shifting over to the Wii in spite of the lower end graphics.

I can't see the controls being all that great when it comes to strategy or RPG games, though.

Eh, personally, I'd get both. Or I would if I wasn't currently refusing to buy XBox 360's. Of course, with Nintendo dominating this generation's sales figures, my reasoning behind that may fade.

TopDawg
5/7/2007, 12:17 AM
I own a Wii. I've always been a bit of a Nintendo fanboy, but they've really bottled lightning with these controls. Normally, sports games bore me pretty quickly, but I've been playing Madden 2007 since Christmas. That's unusual -- if it was a regular control game, I'd have put it down within a few weeks of getting it.

Heh. That's funny. I'd probably be the same way with a Wii. Cool at first, but I'd wish I had an XBOX in a few weeks because of the graphics and the fact that I play enough tennis and golf (for reals) that I rather enjoy sitting down to play my college football.

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 12:33 AM
Well, the trick with the Wii is that it allows for additional control movements.

Do you guys remember how, when you first started playing video games, you'd tilt the controller in various ways, as if it would make a difference? If you've been playing video games for a long time, you've probably suppressed that urge, and you might not remember that it ever existed. But based upon what I remember and what I see kids (and even adults!) do when they're new to gaming, that seems to be a totally natural response to video games.

Well, the Wii can actually cater to that. It can react the way people would *naturally* expect it to react. From my technologist point of view, that is a MAJOR advance in computer-human interaction.

As I say -- bottled lightning. They're not using it to the fullest potential yet, but by god, the potential is huge.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2007, 12:36 AM
Well, the trick with the Wii is that it allows for additional control movements.

Do you guys remember how, when you first started playing video games, you'd tilt the controller in various ways, as if it would make a difference? If you've been playing video games for a long time, you've probably suppressed that urge, and you might not remember that it ever existed. But based upon what I remember and what I see kids (and even adults!) do when they're new to gaming, that seems to be a totally natural response to video games.

Well, the Wii can actually cater to that. It can react the way people would *naturally* expect it to react. From my technologist point of view, that is a MAJOR advance in computer-human interaction.

As I say -- bottled lightning.

So uh...with that in mind are there any games out that are of a more uhhh adult nature to take advantage of this uh feature.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 12:38 AM
If you're asking what I think you're asking, I really just don't see the point.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2007, 12:39 AM
If you're asking what I think you're asking, I really just don't see the point.
Not all of us see the point as much as you might!
.......wait.......nevermind.

Vaevictis
5/7/2007, 12:41 AM
Well, point being that even if you can service the video game, that doesn't mean it can service you.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2007, 12:47 AM
Well, point being that even if you can service the video game, that doesn't mean it can service you.
In mother Russia you don't service the video game, the video game services you!

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/7/2007, 09:34 AM
You should probably get the one with the HDD. There are lots of additional stuff you can download for the games, and if you have a game you really enjoy, you will prolly want the downloads. Like Guitar Hero II has extra songs you can download, and then games like Oblivion have additional 30 hours of game play you can download, like an expansion pack. Elite is not worth it in my opinion unless you plan on really using it for a multimedia server, hosting your MP3's and movies.

badger
5/7/2007, 11:55 AM
So, I'm wanting to get a new console, but I'm torn between the Wii and Xbox 360. I've never tried the wii, but the whole motion detection thing looks like a hell of a lot of fun. On the other hand, I'm big on higher quality graphics and more complex games and from what I understand the Xbox has the wii beat in both of those areas.

Are the 360 graphics really that much better than Wii and is the motion detection feature the only thing the wii really has over the 360?
Can you afford both? If not, go with the Wii. NormanPride and I have a great time playing it (although our Internet is acting funny right now). We were one of the lucky people to get one when it first came out and have been playing it ever since.

XBox 360 is also a lot of fun. Before marriage, my roommates had one and the XBox Live feature is wonderful. It's the closest you'll get to MMORPG's in a console. Plus, they have some great games out.

NP and I haven't made the 360 plunge yet (or the PS3 plunge--- the PS2 works fine and there's no reason to get a 3 yet). However, I can't think of any reason not to get one (unless you can't find one at a store anywhere!)

after you choose a console, I suggest gamefly.com. try the expense new gen games before you buy em!

SicEmBaylor
5/8/2007, 08:23 PM
Well,
I'm on my way later to pick up a 360. I actually saw that this Baylor prof. was selling his month old Xbox 360 for 250.00. It's just the core system (no hard drive), but it comes with a wireless controller. He's only used it a couple of times and can't see himself really having much use for it.

I'll pick up a hard drive tomorrow.

Penguin
5/8/2007, 08:36 PM
I played with a Wii for the first time yesterday. We played baseball and Tiger Woods golf. I hate golf on tv and I've never played in person, but that game was fun as hell!

We got so into it. We were playing for hours. My freaking right shoulder is pretty sore right now. Pretty sad, right?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

Fraggle145
5/8/2007, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljZOHnZNaBc

I want a Wii. See link :eek:

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2007, 06:03 PM
This guy who I'm buying the xbox told me to call him yesterday to set up a time and place to conduct this transaction. So, I call him up and he doesn't answer but I leave a voicemail. He never calls me back, so I email him and he tells me he'll call me this afternoon. I haven't received a call yet.

Should I call him again?

GottaHavePride
5/9/2007, 06:14 PM
Well, if it's like up here, it's near finals time. He may just be busy. I'd be patient and give him a chance.

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2007, 06:18 PM
Well, if it's like up here, it's near finals time. He may just be busy. I'd be patient and give him a chance.
Finals ended this afternoon. He's actually a TA, so I'm sure he's just busy with that I guess.

GottaHavePride
5/9/2007, 06:23 PM
Heh. Finals still have to be graded, though.

When I taught music theory here, it never failed the final was at 4 pm on the last day of finals. Then with 100+ students in the class it would take all of us (prof and 5 TAs) nearly 6 hours to grade all the damn things and compute final grades.

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2007, 06:29 PM
Heh. Finals still have to be graded, though.

When I taught music theory here, it never failed the final was at 4 pm on the last day of finals. Then with 100+ students in the class it would take all of us (prof and 5 TAs) nearly 6 hours to grade all the damn things and compute final grades.

Well you know, actually, now that I think about it TA's aren't allowed to teach at Baylor. The only classes they teach are 1000 level science class labs, and he's in the English department. So unless he's doing the grading for the prof he shouldn't have his own class.

TopDawg
5/9/2007, 07:08 PM
Well this thread sure took a turn for the boring.

;)

SicEmBaylor
5/9/2007, 07:18 PM

;)
It's because he's in the english department. I gurantee you that if he were in the business school then I wouldn't have nearly this much trouble giving him $250.00 in cash.

Fraggle145
5/9/2007, 07:38 PM

;)

See my previous post... it helps. :D

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 02:47 PM
I'm giving up on this SOB with the system for 250.00. He hasn't returned my call or my e-mails. If you're going to sell something on a website like eBaylor then why the hell wouldn't you follow through and sell the g-damned thing? If he didn't want to sell the damned thing he shouldn't have put it up for sale!

I checked his facebook by the way, and he's found the time in the last couple of days to write about 10,000 wall messages but couldn't take the time to give me an answer. UGH! So, I guess I'll just buy the premium system this weekend.

I'd like to find a way to screw this guy over. Apparently, he teaches latin (Baylor must be letting TAs teach more classes these days) and I have a friend who had him this semester. I'm not sure how to screw over a PhD candidate in literature, but I'd like to find a way!

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/10/2007, 02:53 PM
another reason for the HDD is there is some talk about Grand Theft Auto possibly requiring the HDD.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 02:55 PM
another reason for the HDD is there is some talk about Grand Theft Auto possibly requiring the HDD.
Yeah, I'd buy the hard drive anyway. Several games actually require a hard drive, plus you have to have it to play original xbox games and play on LIVE.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 02:58 PM
I'm posting the guy's pic. He's the one sitting down on the couch. He looks like a trust worthy guy!
http://photos-630.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v54/228/9/9202034/n9202034_31958630_6379.jpg

mithrandir2398
5/10/2007, 02:59 PM
If you wait until mid/late may, they are coming out with the Xbox 360 Elite, which is black like the old one and has a massive HDD on it. It is like 120 gigs I think (can't remember).

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 03:04 PM
If you wait until mid/late may, they are coming out with the Xbox 360 Elite, which is black like the old one and has a massive HDD on it. It is like 120 gigs I think (can't remember).
The elite is already out. I don't give a damn that it's black and if I need a bigger hard drive then I'll just get that. But yeah it's a 120 gig HDD.

achiro
5/10/2007, 03:16 PM
I'm posting the guy's pic. He's the one sitting down on the couch. He looks like a trust worthy guy!
http://photos-630.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v54/228/9/9202034/n9202034_31958630_6379.jpg
If this is a sampling of the guys at Baylor, I think you really may have a chance finding a lady. OK, maybe not.

mithrandir2398
5/10/2007, 03:19 PM
You can get the 120 by itself same as the HD-DVD Player. I could also give a damn about the color of the box but I like the black controllers.

Petro-Sooner
5/10/2007, 03:19 PM
Man, Baylor guys are hard core. I mean, theres Oreos for cripe sake.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 03:24 PM
Man, Baylor guys are hard core. I mean, theres Oreos for cripe sake.
Oreos are about as multicultural as we get here.

mithrandir2398
5/10/2007, 03:47 PM
My question is what is in the bowl? it kind of looks like shrimp around the side, but I have no idea why anyone would be eating shrimp with Oreos, so I am thinking it is something else like candy canes or something.

achiro
5/10/2007, 03:56 PM
That one guy looks like he is dancing...I didn't think that was allowed!?!?!?!

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2007, 04:15 PM
The elite is already out. I don't give a damn that it's black and if I need a bigger hard drive then I'll just get that. But yeah it's a 120 gig HDD.

What you should give a damn about is the Elite has HDMI connectivity and will be able to pass advanced audio codecs with a coming firmware upgrade. But you probably don't. ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 04:18 PM
What you should give a damn about is the Elite has HDMI connectivity and will be able to pass advanced audio codecs with a coming firmware upgrade. But you probably don't. ;)

lol, I have no clue what that even means. I'm tempted to say that I don't care about audio because I hate playing anything loud so basic audio is probably fine with me. Not sure what exactly HDMI connectivity is?

Beef
5/10/2007, 04:19 PM
My roommate puts on a tiny workout outfit to play Wii Sports. So I say get a Wii and a hawt roommate.

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2007, 05:30 PM
lol, I have no clue what that even means. I'm tempted to say that I don't care about audio because I hate playing anything loud so basic audio is probably fine with me. Not sure what exactly HDMI connectivity is?

*sigh*

Loud doesn't play into it. I rarely play anything loud in my home theater. I still care about being able to use advanced audio codecs because Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA audio (and of course PCM uncompressed) actually pass the sound the way it's supposed to sound at all volume levels.

HDMI is one method of hooking up audio-visual equipment. It uses completely digital transmission of both audio and video to provide resolution up to 1080p and up to 7.1 PCM uncompressed audio. It is also HDCP compliant, which means that media manufacturers are more willing to allow advanced features to be accessed through HDMI hookups.

One of the biggest knocks by AV enthusiasts about the XBox360 HD DVD addon is that there was no HDMI connectivity. The Elite addresses that.

*advantages*

HDMI uses one middlin' size cable to carry ALL audio and video signals, which cleans up your rack something purty.

HDMI is HDCP compliant, so you can upscale copy-protected video or pass the full resolution of ICT-flagged material (ICT hasn't been implemented yet, but it will be.)

*disadvantages*

HDMI cables can be pretty honkin' expensive.

HDMI requires a handshake between the components, which can sometimes garble.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2007, 08:27 PM
So, here's another Xbox question for ya. One of my roommates has an older Xbox with several of the same games, is it possible to network our xboxes together and play against each other sort of like a LAN?

Frozen Sooner
5/10/2007, 08:57 PM
It was possible with the original XBox. Not sure if you can network a 360 and an XBox together.

SoonerAtKU
5/11/2007, 07:35 AM
HDMI cables should not be expensive. Use www.monoprice.com for all of your cabling needs. They have a 6ft HDMI cable that is perfectly serviceable for $5.25. At that distance, a digital signal will not really be able to degrade. It's not going to start turning ones into zeros in the way that an analog cable will degrade due to interference/shielding issues.

Frozen Sooner
5/11/2007, 10:42 AM
Like I said-"can be."

GottaHavePride
5/11/2007, 12:37 PM
So, here's another Xbox question for ya. One of my roommates has an older Xbox with several of the same games, is it possible to network our xboxes together and play against each other sort of like a LAN?

I don't know, but both versions will connect to X-Box Live.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/11/2007, 12:51 PM
sweet, they are talking about a 30 song expansion for GH II of 80's music...right now it is exclusive to playstation, but surely they are not that stupid to not roll it to xbox....

"I Wanna Rock" (by Twisted Sister)
"I Ran" (by Flock of Seagulls)
"Round and Round" (as made famous by Ratt)
"I Want Candy" (as made famous by Bow Wow Wow)
"Metal Health" (as made famous by Quiet Riot)
"Holy Diver" (as made famous by Dio)
"Heat of the Moment" (as made famous by Asia)

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/05/10/seven-tracks-from-guitar-hero-rocks-the-80s-announced

SicEmBaylor
5/11/2007, 01:42 PM
I got my xbox today. The guy finally came through. I've gotta go to the store later and pick up a hard drive.

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2007, 02:27 AM
Alright one last question and this is an important one.

I just plopped down a butt load of cash today, and I don't want to buy the wireless adapter that's 100.00. Now, my laptop is only a few feet away and I just use the wireless network; therefore, my ethernet port is free and unused.

Is it possible to directly connect my xbox to my laptop for the purpose of "piggy backing" off the wireless connection? So, in other words, can the Xbox connect to LIVE using my laptop's wireless connection by connecting the two directly?

soonerboomer93
5/12/2007, 02:41 AM
My roommate puts on a tiny workout outfit to play Wii Sports. So I say get a Wii and a hawt roommate.

worthless without pics

SoonerStud615
5/12/2007, 11:55 AM
Yes it is. I've actually done this before.

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2007, 11:56 AM
Yes it is. I've actually done this before.
May I inquire as to how?

SoonerStud615
5/12/2007, 01:37 PM
Simply connect an ethernet cable from the xbox to the computer (obviously). In windows XP go to control panel, then network connections. Right click on the wireless connection and select properties. On the last tab there is something about, "use this connection to permit internet sharing" or something similar to that; select that. And then all that needs to be done is turn on your laptop and fire up the xbox and you're good to go.

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2007, 02:47 PM
Simply connect an ethernet cable from the xbox to the computer (obviously). In windows XP go to control panel, then network connections. Right click on the wireless connection and select properties. On the last tab there is something about, "use this connection to permit internet sharing" or something similar to that; select that. And then all that needs to be done is turn on your laptop and fire up the xbox and you're good to go.
Hmmm, there's nothing on my last tab except for setting up windows firewall.

I wonder if the wireless connection has to be bridged with the hard wire connection.

Vaevictis
5/12/2007, 02:51 PM
It could be that your version of Windows doesn't support the connection sharing.

(I think Pro does, Home doesn't.)

SicEmBaylor
5/12/2007, 02:57 PM
It could be that your version of Windows doesn't support the connection sharing.

(I think Pro does, Home doesn't.)

I figured it out. It was buried under a couple of different menu options.

But whoop! It's up and running!!!!

Major spek.