PDA

View Full Version : AD HAS GOOD FIRST DAY OF MINI CAMP

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2007, 09:42 PM
Continuing to brush aside concerns about The Most Famous Collarbone in Minnesota, the rookie was eager and impressive.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: May 04, 2007 – 9:25 PM

The royal collarbone made it through Friday unscathed. And all was well for Adrian Peterson -- along with Tom, Dick, Harry and the rest of Peterson's nameless teammates during the Vikings' first day of rookie minicamp at Winter Park.
Yes, the Vikings' much-hyped first-round draft choice made his debut in a purple uniform, participating in all portions of a 75-minute workout. He was joined by seven other draft picks, 15 rookie free agents, three former members of the practice squad and 28 players with tryout status whom the team would not identify.

(For the record, Peterson blew past Joe Blow to grab a reception in the flat early in practice. John Doe, meanwhile, had no chance against him a few plays later.)

"It's all sinking in," Peterson said afterward. "Just being out here and having that purple helmet on, representing the Vikings, it's tangible. It's finally here."

Peterson said his right collarbone, reinjured Jan. 1 in the Fiesta Bowl, is "feeling good right now." The Vikings will re-evaluate his condition after Sunday's conclusion to minicamp, which by NFL rule is noncontact. The team has not ruled out surgery if the injury does not fully heal on its own.

Peterson said that decision will be made "eventually" but added: "Right now, I'm just focusing on me." If surgery is deemed necessary, Peterson's availability for the start of training camp would be in question.

"Right now," he said, "I'm just focused on getting these plays in. It's something you really have to study and put time in to get these plays and the different terminology, the language. That's really my main focus right now. I've been out here practicing. [The collarbone] hasn't given me any problems so I'm just going to push right ahead."

Already, Peterson's arrival has brought him local celebrity status, along with a buzz the team hasn't enjoyed in more than a year. Vikings fans recognized him Thursday on a flight from Dallas to the Twin Cities, albeit thanks to the team-issue shirt he was wearing, and Peterson is beginning to understand the popularity typically assigned to the No. 7 overall pick in the draft.

"I'm just here to try to help turn things around," Peterson said. "I'm definitely prepared for it. It's on a totally different level being in the NFL, but [playing at Oklahoma] kind of helped me work my way to being able to handle it. I feel like I've been prepared well, and I'm just looking forward to the experience."

The efforts of John Doe and Joe Blow aside, it was difficult to read too much into Friday's workout, which came after one day of studying a trimmed-down version of the Vikings playbook. Coaches are more interested in seeing speed, confidence and sure movement than technical proficiency.

Based on that criteria, coach Brad Childress said, Peterson "did about what we thought he could do."He didn't hiccup at all, I don't think," Childress said. "I think he showed some speed to the outside and pretty good vision on the quick draw up the middle."

Peterson also drew praise for his work during 1-on-1 receiving drills against linebackers, showing an ease for catching the ball that was not often on display in the run-heavy Oklahoma offense.

"It's definitely something I can handle," Peterson said. "I'll continue to work on it. There's always room for improvement, just staying focused on the little things that are going to bring your game to the next level. Catching the ball is definitely one of the things they like to do with the running back, so I will just keep improving catching the ball and just my overall game."

stoops the eternal pimp
5/5/2007, 09:49 PM
No hits, a lot of buzz
All eyes are on Adrian Peterson at his first practice
Pioneer Press

Article Launched: 05/05/2007 12:01:00 AM CDT

BY DON SEEHOLZER PIONEER PRESS

Not since the selection of Randy Moss in 1998 has a Vikings draft choice created as much early buzz as Adrian Peterson.

Friday, the former Oklahoma running back took the field for the first time in a Vikings uniform as the team opened a three-day rookie minicamp.

There were no pads and virtually no contact, just players running around in helmets and shorts. Still, Peterson made a good first impression on the man whose opinion counts most.

"He did about what we thought he could do," coach Brad Childress said. "He didn't hiccup at all, I didn't think. I think he showed some speed to the outside, pretty good vision on a quick draw up the middle and caught the football down there in that one-on-one (drill) with the running backs and linebackers."

Here's a look at Peterson's first day.

1:15 P.M. FIRST HANDOFF

From quarterback Tyler Thigpen, a seventh-round draft choice from Coastal Carolina.

Peterson handled it cleanly and went through the line with both hands wrapped around the ball. Not that there was any danger of losing a fumble, since there were no defensive players involved in the drill.

Once he made it past the stool and two plastic trash cans, he was home free.

1:20 FIRST KICKOFF

Off the foot of Alex Reyes, an undrafted punter from Texas Tech.

Peterson handled it and three more kicks from Reyes and the JUGS machine without a hitch and said he wouldn't mind performing those duties during the season.
"Any way I can contribute to the team, I'm willing to do it," he said. "Kickoff return was something I did at the University of Oklahoma. I would love to do it."

1:30 FIRST BREAK

While some of his future teammates were practicing kickoff coverage, Peterson watched from the far sideline, chatting with other players and trainer Eric Sugarman.

No need to worry. From the smiles on their faces, that conversation had nothing to do with Peterson's healing right collarbone.

1:45 FIRST IN LINE

With a purple football tucked under his right arm, Peterson navigated a rope drill and cone drill in which he showed the ability to zig as well as zag.

"Great body control," running backs coach Eric Bieniemy shouted.

Sudden thought: Unless opposing defenses find a way to sneak a lasso on the field, Peterson probably won't be brought down by too many shoestring tackles.

1:58 FIRST CATCH

OK, it was just a 5-yard toss from Bieniemy, but considering Peterson caught just 24 passes in three seasons at Oklahoma, it's still worth noting.

Who said this kid can't catch?

2:00 FIRST DROP

Oops! Peterson couldn't pull in a high pass from Jimmy Terwilliger, a tryout quarterback from East Stroudsburg University.

So, can this guy really catch well enough to play in the West Coast offense?

"It's definitely something I can handle," Peterson said. "(You just) continue to work on it. There's always room for improvement."

2:07 FIRST "TOUCHDOWN"

Now we're really stretching, but there was nothing standing between Peterson and the end zone when he slammed off right tackle during a run drill.

Of course, there was no defense on the field this time, either, but who are we to nitpick?

2:45 FIRST CONTACT

Finally, some 11-on-11 action.

Peterson plowed off right tackle again for what would have been short yardage, while coaches yelled for players to pull up, and later swept left end for a big gainer.

It's almost enough to make you wish for the start of training camp.

3:05 FINAL THOUGHTS

With his first NFL practice over, Peterson sat down to meet with the media and said he thought it went well.

"It's all sinking in," he said. "Just being out here and having that purple helmet on, representing the Vikings, it's tangible. It's finally here."

Just think: Only four more months to the regular-season opener.

King Crimson
5/5/2007, 09:54 PM
i didn't know Eric Bienemy was coaching at Minny. i thought he was still at UCLA with Dorrell.

bri
5/5/2007, 10:40 PM
AD is my power animal.

william_brasky
5/6/2007, 12:34 AM
AD used "tangible" in an interview.

Outstanding.

bri
5/6/2007, 12:48 AM
Just imagine how big a word he would have busted out if he'd have gone to a Tier I school...:D

Texas Golfer
5/6/2007, 02:06 AM
I sure hope AD doesn't require surgery.

bri
5/6/2007, 02:10 AM
I sure hope AD doesn't require surgery.

Signed,
Minnesota

PLaw
5/6/2007, 08:49 AM
"I'm just here to try to help turn things around," Peterson said. "I'm definitely prepared for it. It's on a totally different level being in the NFL, but [playing at Oklahoma] kind of helped me work my way to being able to handle it. I feel like I've been prepared well, and I'm just looking forward to the experience."

I wonder how many t-sips say the same??? Thank you, Bob.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

OU-HSV
5/6/2007, 10:15 AM
Good stuff, thanks for posting

swardboy
5/6/2007, 04:24 PM
"The royal collarbone..." lol....already being treated like royalty, good for him.

Big Red Ron
5/6/2007, 04:31 PM
AD's baby face and skills will make him one of the most marketable NFL players soon.