PDA

View Full Version : High Cholesterol = heart disease?

Penguin
5/5/2007, 08:01 PM
Has this actually been proven?

I see commercials for the statins, but they have a tiny little blurb that says "May not prevent heart disease." WTF? Why are we even taking this medicine?

I guess I could research the issue on the internets, but it's a lot easier just to ask the South Oval folks.

crawfish
5/5/2007, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry, could you repeat the question? I was busy scarfing down my plate of fettuccine alfredo.

Penguin
5/5/2007, 08:05 PM
In the history of the world, nobody has ever died from high cholesterol.

It's sort like jumping off a skyscraper. It's not the falling that kills you. It's the landing. ;)

Widescreen
5/5/2007, 08:31 PM
High cholesterol is caused by global warming. Or global warming is caused by high cholesterol. Either way, we're doomed.

BajaOklahoma
5/5/2007, 09:00 PM
By reducing the production of cholesterol, statins are able to slow the formation of new plaques and occasionally can reduce the size of plaques that already exist. In addition, through mechanisms that are not well understood, statins also stabilize plaques and make them less prone to rupturing and forming clots.
There are other factors involved in heart disease - weight, age, family history, smoking, and race - that aren't affected by statins.
And different statins have different effects.

TopDawg
5/5/2007, 09:12 PM
By reducing the production of cholesterol, statins are able to slow the formation of new plaques and occasionally can reduce the size of plaques that already exist. In addition, through mechanisms that are not well understood, statins also stabilize plaques and make them less prone to rupturing and forming clots.
There are other factors involved in heart disease - weight, age, family history, smoking, and race - that aren't affected by statins.

In other words....:confused:

;)

Penguin
5/5/2007, 09:14 PM

Do you work for a drug company? :texan:

sanantoniosooner
5/5/2007, 09:18 PM
Eat whatever you want.

You wont be missed.

olevetonahill
5/5/2007, 09:43 PM
My cholesterol was around 220 , Va put me on some kinda pill , Ots down to around 120 now , I still eat chicken eggs and grits and butter , and , and , and , :D

olevetonahill
5/5/2007, 09:44 PM
Eat whatever you want.

You wont be missed.
Tell ME I wont be Missed ,
Whos gonna answer you Car ?s ? huh ?

Widescreen
5/5/2007, 10:21 PM
My cholesterol went from 250 to 130 when I stopped eating like a pig and exercised my butt off (literally).

Penguin
5/5/2007, 10:41 PM
My cholesterol went from 250 to 130 when I stopped eating like a pig and exercised my butt off (literally).

Dude! What the hell are you going to do without a butt?

olevetonahill
5/5/2007, 10:45 PM
Take the pills . eat what you want , No exercise, Drink
It drops anyway .;)

SCOUT
5/5/2007, 10:46 PM

My cholesterol is at 230 right now and I am starting to exercise more and adjust my diet. What are your best eating and work-out tips if you don't mind me asking.

achiro
5/5/2007, 10:57 PM
So are you quoting studies or just the sales pitch?:D

Seriously though, I'd really like to see the studies you got this info from. References would be ok but if you have the whole study it would be better. TYIA

Widescreen
5/6/2007, 07:55 AM
My cholesterol is at 230 right now and I am starting to exercise more and adjust my diet. What are your best eating and work-out tips if you don't mind me asking.
Nothing elaborate. Don't eat fried or fatty foods. Some sugary foods are OK if you're exercising a lot. I treadmill every day and lift weights twice a week. I was trying to lose weight too so My initial eating was very restrictive. Small salad with oil dressing for lunch - small portion of whatever we were having for dinner and no snacks of any kind for about 3 months. My cholesterol went from 250 down to around 185 in less than 3 weeks. I really believe that aerobic exercise is the key to cholesterol reduction unless you want to take drugs.

OKC-SLC
5/6/2007, 08:39 AM
Penguin, the issue is this:

All of the statins have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels in studies. However, only one or two of them have been examined in studies where the specific clinical endpoint was decreased mortality, decreased cardiac morbidity, etc. Therefore, only those who have been studied with one of those endpoints can actually say that their drug decreases, say, heart attacks.

The other statins might lower cholesterol even better. And often that will be their sales pitch--for example Lipitor might say they lower numbers better than Zocor because they have a study that shows that. But Lipitor may not have a study which explicitly examined an endpoint of cardiac morbidity/mortality.

Mongo
5/6/2007, 08:46 AM
mmmmmm
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/bacon.jpg

OKC-SLC
5/6/2007, 09:32 AM
mmmmmm
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/bacon.jpg
Mongo has chosen another method by which to say the same thing.

StoopTroup
5/6/2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/images/articles/20061215-Heart_Attack_Grill_2.jpg