PDA

View Full Version : Tree Line

Suerreal
5/5/2007, 02:40 PM
I was reading SoonerBoarder's My New Tag (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93072) thread, and Sooneron said
I think the state parks one is OK, but where exactly is that woodsy setting in Oklahoma?

I lived in Ardmore for junior & high school, and went to OU. While there, I noticed that for both places, going east, you'd find hills and trees, going west you'd find flat plains and few trees, unless you count mesquite as a tree. The same held true in Kansas when I drove up to Ft. Riley for ROTC summer camp, and around San Antonio when I lived there.

I've been using "tree line" to describe this. For years, I've wondered if this was a commonly used term or something I made up. I know "tree line" is used for mountains to mark the altitude above which trees don't grow, but I haven't heard anyone else use it to describe the difference between eastern Kansas, Oklahoma & Texas vs the western parts of these states.

Anyway, I figure this group oughta know.

- Sue

Jimminy Crimson
5/5/2007, 02:41 PM
Officially known as the Cross Timbers.

I believe Washington Irving coined that on his trek through these parts.

Jimminy Crimson
5/5/2007, 02:43 PM
From Wikipedia:

The Cross Timbers is a semi-savanna on the southern Great Plains running from southeastern Kansas, across central Oklahoma, into central Texas. It lies at the eastern edge of the great prairies and the western edge of the deciduous forest. The Cross Timbers is mainly post oak (Quercus stellata) and blackjack oak (Quercus marilandica) forests interspersed with patches of open prairie (both tall and mixed grass). The thick growth formed an almost impenetrable barrier for early American explorers and travelers. Washington Irving described it as "like struggling through forests of cast iron."

Suerreal
5/5/2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks!

- Sue

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2007, 02:44 PM
I heard the words Tree Line in grade school about the Oklahoma East/West difference.

Harry Beanbag
5/5/2007, 04:53 PM
I seem to remember it being called the Indian Meridian or something like that.