PDA

View Full Version : Jack Bunds OUT

goingoneight
5/4/2007, 11:53 PM
:les: JACK OFF THE AIR!!!

Lincoln replaces Bunds at KTUL-8

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
5/4/2007

After 26 years away from the KTUL channel 8 news set, Chris Lincoln is returning to the station as its sports director.

On Thursday, KTUL general manager Pat Baldwin confirmed that he has hired the 59-year-old Lincoln, who starts work on Monday. Baldwin said he "chose not to renew the contract" of Jack Bunds, who was at KTUL for 11 years. Bunds was the sports director for nearly two years, but is no longer employed by Channel 8.

"I decided a couple of months ago that we needed to do something different in sports," Baldwin said. "Jack has served us very well, but I feel like we need to go a different direction.

"We're very excited about Chris Lincoln. There have been a lot of great sportscasters in this town, and Chris is right at the top."

Lincoln was the Channel 8 sports director in 1974-81, then left the station to help form Tulsa-based Winner Communications (now known as Winnercomm, one of the nation's more prominent television production companies). In 1982-98, Lincoln hosted ESPN's "Racehorse Digest." He says he has logged more than 6.6 million miles on American Airlines flights.

But even while traveling around the world for ESPN, Lincoln remained a resident of the Tulsa area.

"It will be a lot easier to drive to Stillwater and Norman than to fly to Dubai and Hong Kong," Lincoln said. "We sold a big part of our interest in Winnercomm a year ago, and I didn't want to be retired. Channel 8 offered me the opportunity to be the full-time sports director. I want to make sure that my family supported it.

"What really sold me was the enthusiastic support of Pat Baldwin and the assurances that Channel 8 will be aggressive in sports once again."

Lincoln said he will continue to serve as a Tuesday co-host for the Sports Animal radio station. At Channel 8, he will anchor the 5, 6 and 10 p.m. weekday newscasts, along with the half-hour show that airs on Sunday nights at 10:35. KTUL's Ruben Diaz will remain in his role as a reporter and weekend anchor.

Bunds, a 27-year veteran of the television business, said he has "absolutely no idea" what he might do next.

"I've gotten a lot of calls from people who are wishing me well," he said.

Bunds then added, "I think Chris will be really good for Channel 8 sports."

Baldwin said Channel 8 likely will make some changes with its "You Make The Call" Sunday show.

"We've got to revamp it, no doubt, but what we do will be up to Chris," Baldwin said. "We do need to spruce it up a little bit."

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2007, 12:08 AM
The last time I saw Chris Lincoln it looked like he and Robert Allen could swap underwear.

goingoneight
5/5/2007, 12:38 AM
Nothing against Jack bunds, cuz he was always fair to all the local teams and all... but the guy was just flat-out boring. Same deal with Eddie Sutton on the radio... he may be a nice guy, and he may know his stuff when it comes to basketball, but the monotone voice could put me to sleep. And that's dangerous because I hear them on the radio when I'm driving to work. :eek:

Oh, well... at least I'm not wasted while I'm driving. :eddie:

StoopTroup
5/5/2007, 09:14 AM
Well ain't that a kick in the Bunds....

Chris was shaped like an egg the last time I saw him.

Widescreen
5/5/2007, 09:26 AM
In 1979 Chris Lincoln came to talk to us squirts at Lee Elementary school. I was absolutely shocked at his rack. :eek: I had no idea he was so portly.

Seamus
5/5/2007, 12:53 PM
Heh. Welcome to The Peter Griffin Side Boob Hour.

Petro-Sooner
5/5/2007, 01:13 PM
Where was he at before KTUL? KOTV? Seems he has been in Tulsa longer than 11 yrs.

boomersooner28
5/5/2007, 02:16 PM
Bunds was definitely boring and I can see the change, BUT....why the hell is Ruben Diaz still there also? He just absolutely sucks!

StoopTroup
5/5/2007, 05:39 PM
Chris is actually somewhat skinny in this pic....

http://horseracing.about.com/library/graphics/bc00/apchris.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/5/2007, 11:28 PM
Bunds was definitely boring and I can see the change, BUT....why the hell is Ruben Diaz still there also? He just absolutely sucks!

Heh, I sent Ruben Diaz a nasty e-mail for a comment he made one night about Baylor. He wrote me back and called me "classless."

critical_phil
5/5/2007, 11:51 PM
Heh, I sent Ruben Diaz a nasty e-mail for a comment he made one night about Baylor. He wrote me back and called me "classless."

imagine what he would've called you had he read the stuff you post on this board....

SoonerDood
5/5/2007, 11:56 PM
it's not like Channel 8 has far to fall.

OU-HSV
5/6/2007, 10:31 AM
I ran into Ruben at a bar in Tulsa about a month ago or so. He was pretty cool, I talked to him for a bit about OU. I joked w/him and told him he needs to pull more for the Sooners and show more love for the Crimson and Cream. I'm a fan of "You Make the Call", but I totally agree something needs done to change it up a bit. Jack was a good guy, but as others have said he was boring.

Redshirt
5/6/2007, 03:58 PM
Chris is actually somewhat skinny in this pic....

http://horseracing.about.com/library/graphics/bc00/apchris.jpg

Lincoln is nearly as skinny now as the guy next to him in the picture.

goingoneight
5/6/2007, 04:19 PM
Anybody know what's up with ABC in general? I mean, first they get rid of their MNF, then out the window goes college football coverage so they can show ESPN coverage (woot.:(), then goes the BCS to FOX (of all places, let's send the BCS to the network who will pause any game to give you an "IMPORTANT NASCAR UPDATE").