PDA

View Full Version : I found this great picture of...........

Sooner24
5/4/2007, 10:08 PM
Owen Field 1976. The westside upper deck was opened in 1975 so it was fairly new. What I like about the picture is you can see the OU baseball field before L Dale was built. I went to a couple of games there one was against Arizona State in 1975 while they were still building the upper deck. Also notice the old wooden high school type stands in the south end zone. No Sooner Vision there for sure.

http://www.soonerstats.com/images/oms/1976.jpg

Soonerus
5/4/2007, 10:16 PM
I used to sit in those wooden bleachers...for $1...

Suerreal
5/5/2007, 12:20 AM
Neat pic. With a little (OK, a lot) of imagination, I can see me in the section over the Sooner Schooner ramp.

- Sue

Sooner24
5/5/2007, 06:02 AM
I can see me in Section 17 row 63 seat 30. :D

BajaOklahoma
5/5/2007, 08:31 AM
I remember that.
I also remember the card section - in 75 or 76? We never knew what we were doing - both from a design standpoint and from a hold up what & when. It probably didn't help that the kids exchanged card packets.

I wonder how much time they spent in the Armory each week laying out the cards? This was before the age of computers.

StoopTroup
5/5/2007, 08:55 AM
Same here.

Uwe Von Schamann kicked an extra point right to me and the guy standing next to me bumped me and it hit my thumb and jammed it. It still bothers me to this day. I think we kicked Rice's butt that day.

There was some drinking going on if I remember....:D :rolleyes: :cool:

:pop:

AlbqSooner
5/5/2007, 11:12 AM

I wasn't in that pic. I had run over to O'Connell's at half time for a couple of cold beers and a shared fatty around back.:D

Shneeg11
5/5/2007, 11:17 AM
I believe while it was being built in 74 or 75, a guy fell off of the upper deck and landed on the football field, that must have hurt a bit

TheUnnamedSooner
5/5/2007, 12:07 PM
a shared fatty around back.:D

AS likes fat chicks! ;)

Seamus
5/5/2007, 01:21 PM
I believe while it was being built in 74 or 75, a guy fell off of the upper deck and landed on the football field, that must have hurt a bit

In an era in which one death was expected for every story over 15, the Chrysler Building set an industry standard with ZERO deaths during construction.

Nevermind. I got nuthin' ... :O

King Crimson
5/5/2007, 01:45 PM
you can see the OU baseball field before L Dale was built. I went to a couple of games there one was against Arizona State in 1975 while they were still building the upper deck. Also notice the old wooden high school type stands in the south end zone.

old baseball field=Haskell Field.

101sooner
5/5/2007, 04:17 PM
See that South end-zone scoreboard? Bobby Proctor used to be able to stand almost directly under it and throw a tight spiral clear over the top.

Those old green wood bleachers made their way to the visitors side of Harve Collins Field (Norman High) in the early '80's. The last time I saw them they were being used at West Jr. High in Norman back in the early '90's.

That's a cool pic.

Paperclip
5/5/2007, 04:27 PM

How did he land on the field from the upper deck? It's not like the deck overlaps the lower bowl enough to make that possible. :confused:

Collier11
5/5/2007, 05:11 PM
some of you all are oooollllddddd!!! ;)

Mile High Sooner
5/6/2007, 11:25 PM
Thrailkill was not a fan of "Band Day"....
Looks like there was about 10 H.S. bands joining us that day.

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 11:32 PM
I was a kid then, but I remember a Nebraska game with strong North wind blowing right through those wood bleachers. I was 6 or 7 yrs old and nearly froze my *** off! That's my earliest memory of OU football. And damn it was great! It would've been in 74 or 75 (to lazy to look it up)

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 11:33 PM
sorry, meant south bleachers, i was sitting in the north ones!

GottaHavePride
5/7/2007, 12:20 AM
How did he land on the field from the upper deck? It's not like the deck overlaps the lower bowl enough to make that possible. :confused:

That's what I was thinking.

Seamus
5/7/2007, 03:10 AM
some of you all are oooollllddddd!!! ;)

Ya know, you know you're getting old when it's no longer funny when someone calls you old ;)

heh, I'll still be listening to punk rock when I'm 90.

Collier11
5/7/2007, 10:28 AM
you know it was out of love, I bet watching some of those teams was really something else!!!

soonerspudman
5/7/2007, 11:19 AM

Me too. The "Knothole Club", kids under 12 for a buck, general admission. Whenever the sooners got close to the south end zone we'd all run down to the concrete retaining wall so we could watch Steve Owens smash off tackle into the end zone, you were practically on the field. Those were the days...

cvsooner
5/7/2007, 11:45 AM
I was a kid then, but I remember a Nebraska game with strong North wind blowing right through those wood bleachers. I was 6 or 7 yrs old and nearly froze my *** off! That's my earliest memory of OU football. And damn it was great! It would've been in 74 or 75 (to lazy to look it up)

'75. Won the game, went to the Orange Bowl, won the national championship by beating Michigan.

Least favorite OU memory is from that game: I got hit in the back of the neck with an orange from way up high. Man, that hurt for three days.

Great memory from that game: critical third down play. QB Steve Davis was trying to get the crowd to quiet down for the signals. Raised his hands way up high...useless. Crowd continued to make noise. Joe Washington, down in his stance, stood up and raised his hands.

Instant silence.

Those were the days.

sooneron
5/7/2007, 03:13 PM
Same here.

Uwe Von Schamann kicked an extra point right to me and the guy standing next to me bumped me and it hit my thumb and jammed it. It still bothers me to this day. I think we kicked Rice's butt that day.

Damn, I was there for that game! 1978. What were you wearing?:D

goodonya
5/7/2007, 04:19 PM
We watched the old press box fall one Sunday morning from a lounge window high in Walker tower. They filled the parking lot with old cars and covered them with dirt for it to fall on.

I went to too many baseball games at Jap Haskell (in lieu of class). It was great then as the 3rd base line was packed with football players at most of the afternoon and weekend games. Kyle Davis and his brother were massive smart a$$es and could talk trash with the best. One week USC came to town and Anthony Davis smashed a home run that was the longest I've ever seen at the old park. Bob Shirley was a beast and I never saw Keith Drumright ever make an infield error. Baseball in the spring was a massive social affair.

I've never been to the current park but I hear it is also awesome. I really miss the old JH.

insuranceman_22
5/7/2007, 11:13 PM
'75. Won the game, went to the Orange Bowl, won the national championship by beating Michigan.

Least favorite OU memory is from that game: I got hit in the back of the neck with an orange from way up high. Man, that hurt for three days.

Great memory from that game: critical third down play. QB Steve Davis was trying to get the crowd to quiet down for the signals. Raised his hands way up high...useless. Crowd continued to make noise. Joe Washington, down in his stance, stood up and raised his hands.

Instant silence.

Those were the days.

That's got to be it! I do remember we won! My grandfather took me to a bunch in the mid to late 70's and we'd always sneak in oranges! I remember we were on the 7th row on the west side about 2 yrds into the end zone (his season tickets). Luckily even as a young pup I could lob an orange the required 7 rows to get it to the field! That particular Nebraska game my dad and someone else came so gramps and I sat in the north end zone on tickets we got when we got to the game.

sooneron
5/8/2007, 12:21 AM
In 78 and 79, I used to sell parking spots at my house and use the cash to go to the game. Kind of surprised my Mom by not telling her that I was going to do it!

heh

goodonya
5/8/2007, 07:05 AM
I forgot to mention that I sat in the card section in '74. I had no idea what it was but you got great seats. Few people that I recall threw them before the last game which I believe was OSU. Also, if my recollection is correct there was snow for that game and the snowballs were rampant. Someone hit one of the OSU backs just before a snap late in the game. A hella shot.

Sooner in Tampa
5/8/2007, 08:48 AM
Was it artificial turf in 76 ?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2007, 12:05 PM
you know it was out of love, I bet watching some of those teams was really something else!!!I remember, as a 9 and 10 year old kid, watching Tommy McDonald, Jimmy Harris, Clendon Thomas, Jerry Tubbs, etc. and their all-world, 47 in a row team play.

SoonerStats
5/8/2007, 01:08 PM
Was it artificial turf in 76 ?
It was artificial turf from 1970-1993.

Shneeg11
5/9/2007, 11:02 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Well, I'm not sure man, my dad was an assistant coach for the basetball team, and they were practicing one day when the guy fell, thats all i know, he may have landed close to the field...

Paperclip
5/10/2007, 08:23 AM
I could believe him falling on or near the baseball field, but not the football field.

Xstnlsooner
5/10/2007, 04:09 PM
First game I watched was from the cold wooden seats in that south
end-zone against zerostate, the year Joe broke the long punt return
and blew the game open. I froze my *ss but it was a great thing!