PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Coach Stoops

Collier11
5/4/2007, 11:43 AM
Stoops Takes the High Road, No Matter What

Loran Smith

Athens Banner-Herald
May 3, 2007

Bob Stoops, in his seven-year tenure at Oklahoma, has experienced the high of a national championship and the ignominy of having a game taken from his team - one that was literally stolen.

Coaches are the first to admit that no team is going to win every game or stay on top forever. Any loss is frustrating, but to lose when a replay official blows a call could cause an aftershock that could rip a team apart at the seams. Wasn't replay supposed to eliminate all doubt?

Stoops' record at Oklahoma has considerable flash with four conference titles, five BCS bowl games and 89 victories. There has been plenty to celebrate since he took over in Norman. His teams don't lose often, but when that happens, he remains philosophical and insightfully analytical. Give credit to the winner. No excuses.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops grew up as the son of a high school football coach in Youngstown, Ohio.

The coach always is the spokesman for his team. His say is the official party line. He knows he must move on to the next game after defeat and attempt to assuage the psyche of his players while trying to explain why his team failed to win.

The magnanimous, and Stoops is keen on that principle, tip their hat to the victors, move on, and prepare for the next opponent. There are times when teams must concede that they did not play well enough to win.

However, Stoops faced the most unsettling time of his life last fall when a video replay official choked and robbed Oklahoma of a victory at Oregon.

"It has been my belief as a head coach," Stoops said in Athens recently as the guest of the University of Georgia Hall of Fame Chapter, "that you accept responsibility when you lose. You tell your team that you did not do enough of the things as a team that you needed to do to win."

With that approach, Stoops preached what he had practiced for years as a coach and didn't complain when Oregon received credit for recovery of an onside kick, when in fact Oklahoma came up with the ball. His team, he said following the game, did not "do enough of the good things to win."

At the time, he was unaware that the replay official blew the call. When he learned the facts, he knew the challenge he faced. He had to admit to his players that they did what they were supposed to do to win the game but that the game was taken from them. He knew the emotional wreckage would linger in the backs of the players' minds, but he had to look ahead.

"It was a bitter pill for us, but even though we were crushed emotionally when we learned what had happened, at some point you have to let it go," Stoops said. "You can't let one game, even when you have it taken from you, ruin your season. I told the team, we can't sit here and cry about it. If we do, it will cost us further. We still have games to play. It was not a conference game."

Oklahoma won the Big 12 championship but was blindsided late by Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. It was perhaps the most exciting game of last season.

The Broncos, featuring a plethora of barnyard plays, defeated Oklahoma 43-42 in overtime.

What did Stoops do? He gave credit to Boise State. He told his team it made too many mistakes early in the game. No crying over spilled milk. He maintained a stiff upper lip and praised his players for coming back to take the lead late in the game. They simply got beat.

Even with notable success in a short period of time at Oklahoma, Stoops has kept a balanced perspective. He didn't need a dose of humility. He grew up in modest circumstances in Youngstown, Ohio.

It was backyard games and the good life. Jeans and T-shirts and tennis shoes. His father was the high school coach. He swept out the locker rooms and washed the jerseys.

"It was his way of staying humble," Stoops said.

Following in his father's footsteps, Stoops is not in big-time college coaching for "the money or the notoriety." He underscores fundamentals, especially with defense, his longtime specialty.

"Defense is always evolving," he said. "Alignment, discipline, and playing physical, however, sustain you more than gimmicks or trick blitzes."

Unconventional losses to Oregon and Boise State have caused him to reflect soberly about the rare circumstances involved. If anyone suggests that those outcomes were "meant to be," he won't argue.

Collier11
5/4/2007, 11:45 AM
Having Coach Stoops lead our Sooners makes me a very proud fan! The fact that he leads this team with honor and dignity and preaches to them to do the right thing is nice to see. I know some of the east coast idiots will argue, but I think Stoops is one of the classiest coaches in CFB, hands down!

TheUnnamedSooner
5/4/2007, 12:17 PM
^^^^ Yup.

BoomerJack
5/4/2007, 12:40 PM
Great article! Thnx for posting it.

MichiganSooner
5/4/2007, 12:42 PM
All class. And the story didn't even mention he kicked 2 starters off the team the day before fall practice because they deliberately broke rules.

PLaw
5/4/2007, 12:52 PM
Having Coach Stoops lead our Sooners makes me a very proud fan! The fact that he leads this team with honor and dignity and preaches to them to do the right thing is nice to see. I know some of the east coast idiots will argue, but I think Stoops is one of the classiest coaches in CFB, hands down!

I can understand how a good measure of integrity, character, self awareness, and confidence would make the whole lot of Eastern media "experts" nauseous.

As a huge Switzer fan, I've got to concede that Bob has restored the class and integrity built by Bud. Barry never came close.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

Seamus
5/4/2007, 12:54 PM
All class. And the story didn't even mention he kicked 2 starters off the team the day before fall practice because they deliberately broke rules.

Yeah, that was refreshing. Excellent article.

SoonerBOI
5/4/2007, 01:02 PM
Nice article, Thanks!

Collier11
5/4/2007, 01:03 PM
With our recent lack of success in big bowl games, it seems like alot of us often look past the fact that not only has he won with class, but he has won big. Just think about these numbers
89 wins(90) in 8 years
82 wins(83) in the past 7 years
Ou went 60-5 between 2000 and 2004 and played for 3 natl titles <---------WOW!!!
Played for 5 conf titles and won 4 in 8 years
played for 3 natl titles and won 1 in 8 years
Realistically contended for a natl title in 5 of 8 years

You could go on and on, but those numbers right there are mind boggling

SoonerSinger3
5/4/2007, 01:30 PM
Stoops is by far the classiest coach in CFB with a biased opinion of course. But what makes me mad is when fans from other teams call him a jerk and an a** from his press conferences. I admit Stoops can be harsh to some of those dumb reporters, but who can blame him? They ask dumb questions alot and Stoops just tells it like it is and thats what i like about him. He's not trying to get friends and alot of times people don't like his honesty and bluntness but i do.

Stoops for President!!!! oh wait that couldn't happen cuz then he wouldn't be able to coach our team:confused:

King Crimson
5/4/2007, 01:48 PM
**** Oregon.

OU-HSV
5/4/2007, 03:20 PM
Freakin great read. Spek for posting it Collier

Collier11
5/4/2007, 04:33 PM
No problem, I just happened to run across it and I figured you all might enjoy! With the way that many media seem to hate us, its nice to get a good and unbiased article from time to time!

SoonerLB
5/4/2007, 05:37 PM
**** Oregon.
and the Pac 10! That game still irks me! Cheatin' ********!
Bob Stoops has more class in his little finger than can be found in the entire state of Oregon!

Collier11
5/4/2007, 07:09 PM
I honestly have more of a problem letting go of LSU than oregon. Oregon, we made mistakes but still played well enough to win on the road after falling behind early. Lsu, we played like crap on the biggest stage and still SHOULDA won!!! BLahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

oumartin
5/4/2007, 08:24 PM
But we are an out of control program right? :D

goingoneight
5/4/2007, 10:41 PM
:stunned: stupid daily ou-klahoman kiseng up to the goonz agen.

Texas Golfer
5/6/2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the article, Collier. Reading it only makes me more proud to have Bob Stoops as our HC. I wouldn't trade him for two of anyone else.

MamaMia
5/6/2007, 10:54 AM
I can understand how a good measure of integrity, character, self awareness, and confidence would make the whole lot of Eastern media "experts" nauseous.

As a huge Switzer fan, I've got to concede that Bob has restored the class and integrity built by Bud. Barry never came close.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw
Was it really necessary for you to insult Coach Switzer in order to compliment Coach Stoops? Why do you feel you have to concede anything? We aren't comparing. To do so would be ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Both have their good qualities and both have done plenty for not only our football program, but for our university as a whole.

Thank you for posting this article Collier11 about Coach Stoops. Its always a pleasure to hear nice things about our coaches.

Doged
5/6/2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the article, Collier. Reading it only makes me more proud to have Bob Stoops as our HC. I wouldn't trade him for two of anyone else.

Yea, what he said. Good read!

insuranceman_22
5/6/2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks Collier! Stoops is the man....so is Collier (well you know what I mean)

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 02:32 AM
Was it really necessary for you to insult Coach Switzer in order to compliment Coach Stoops? Why do you feel you have to concede anything? We aren't comparing. To do so would be ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Both have their good qualities and both have done plenty for not only our football program, but for our university as a whole.

Thank you for posting this article Collier11 about Coach Stoops. Its always a pleasure to hear nice things about our coaches.

while it's not my opinion, there are a lot of people that while they like the King, they feel that he wasn't the top-hat and classy speech coach Wilkinson and Stoops are. I say it's good to have variety. It is sad, but true... the general public and media are not going to realize how truly special Barry is until he's gone some day.

"If you've never lost, you've never played the game..." -Wilkinson

"I understand I'm not always the best person to talk to during a game so I'll apologize for my past actions and aything in the future, guys... -Stoops (during the 2007 R/W scrimmage)

"Beating Texas makes me happier than a pig eating ****!" -King

That's just a small example of the different styles you have. The philosopher, the class act, the good 'ol boy. Unfortunately, the good 'ol boy doesn't always get the best rap from his critics.

Collier11
5/7/2007, 02:59 AM
I dont think Switzers political -incorrectness has anything to do with his rep...there were a few incidents that take care of that for him! The ironic thing is that Switzer is a good guy and does a lot of good in the community with special olympics and other stuff, but people will always remember that he didnt take control at chaotic times while at Ou and Dallas!

goingoneight
5/7/2007, 08:58 PM
Dallas wasn't his fault. Professional athletes will always be prima donnas and do whatever they want, especially when they come from the likes of Miami where they were never taught a-disci-prine. The OU job, meh... maybe could have been managed better, but he was getting older and the problems kept piling up on him. A prime example of that is how Mack Brown's teams always have those shady players like Taylor and Brown selling weed and toting pistols, robberies, etc. I've see Stoops discipline players time and time again, and I'm convinced that one day something is going to happen elsewhere, likely Texass, where a player's problems become to big for the coach. Like Coker at Miami last year.

Can you imagine what people and the media would say about Stoops if one of his players raped someone, robbed someone, or got caught with a mecca stash on them like Ohio State, Texass, USC, Miami, Oklahaom State? They'd fry OUr rep even more than they already try to do so.

JDawg2303
5/10/2007, 04:08 PM
Very nice post. Great article. I definately admire his class which reached it's maximum after the fiasco of Oregon (f'in Oregon!). He is definately one of the greatest coaches and will have a long successful career when it's all said and done.

jacru
5/10/2007, 09:45 PM
Bob Stoops has more class in his little finger than can be found in the entire state of Oregon!
... or in the entire west coast.

Tear Down This Wall
5/10/2007, 09:53 PM

Just a couple of years after not kicking off a certain starting safety after a series of arrests in Texas and Oklahoma for marijuana charges and such.

Guys, he's a football coach, not a saint. He didn't flinch when Bomar was out piling up minor in possession charges.

So, let's keep the story straight. When it's little stuff players get arrested for on the side, he's no different than any other coach. When it comes to stuff that could draw the NCAA's sanctions, he moves.

Like I said, he a football coach, not a saint.

He needs to hire a secondary coach and tight end coach, also, while he's out being a football coach and not a saint.

jacru
5/10/2007, 09:57 PM
... just saint-lier than most. ;)