PDA

View Full Version : Why are USC athletic teams named "Trojans?"

SoCal
5/4/2007, 10:13 AM
The origin of USC's nickname, Trojan, dates back to 1912. Originally, the teams of the University of Southern California were referred to as Methodists or Wesleyans, names not favored by university officials. The director of athletics, Warren Bovard, son of university president Dr. George Bovard, asked Owen Bird, a sportswriter for the LA Times, to give the university a new nickname. Although we now are proud of a winning tradition, the USC family was not always successful during the early years. In fact, we were named "Trojans" because we were great losers. Bird dubbed the USC team "Trojans" instead of Methodists" because he compared our players in 1912 to noble Trojan warriors… 'They were facing teams that were bigger and better-equipped, yet they had splendid fighting spirit. The term 'Trojan' as applied to USC means… that no matter what the situation, what the odds or what the conditions, the completion must be carried on to the end and those who strive must give all they have and never be weary in doing so.

XingTheRubicon
5/4/2007, 11:29 AM
I still can't believe those losers hung the speed limit on us.

starclassic tama
5/4/2007, 11:35 AM
better believe it buddy. im as big a sooner fan as they come but that team was just head and shoulders better than we were. it didn't help that we brought our D+ game, but i still don't think we could have hung within 10 of them

FlatheadSooner
5/4/2007, 11:55 AM
better believe it buddy. im as big a sooner fan as they come but that team was just head and shoulders better than we were. it didn't help that we brought our D+ game, but i still don't think we could have hung within 10 of them

If all cylinders were clicking, including coaching and motivation, that game should have been within 10 pts easy. :mad:

sooner518
5/4/2007, 12:06 PM
No idea what youre talking about :D

Collier11
5/4/2007, 12:07 PM
I have no problem admitting that they played their A+ game and we played a D style of game. With that being said, all things equal I think we still lose something like 31-20 or something in that range. They were just better than us without a doubt, and it hurts me to say that cus I really thought we were a GREAT team. 19 out of 20 years, that Ou team we had wins the natl title every year. Unfortunately we ran into a truly GREAT team in the same year and they were just much better than us.

MichiganSooner
5/4/2007, 12:36 PM
message edited

FlatheadSooner
5/4/2007, 05:57 PM
I have no problem admitting that they played their A+ game and we played a D style of game. With that being said, all things equal I think we still lose something like 31-20 or something in that range. They were just better than us without a doubt, and it hurts me to say that cus I really thought we were a GREAT team. 19 out of 20 years, that Ou team we had wins the natl title every year. Unfortunately we ran into a truly GREAT team in the same year and they were just much better than us.

Like I said before
If all cylinders were clicking, including coaching and motivation, that game should have been within 11 pts easy.
;)

Collier11
5/4/2007, 07:08 PM
That a way to submit to your superior....in post count anyways ;)

85sooners
5/4/2007, 08:58 PM
fags!!!!

Collier11
5/4/2007, 09:01 PM
dont take it personal just cus your girl said my name the other night! It happens!

Tulsa_Fireman
5/4/2007, 11:07 PM
Oh wait... Dang it, I got company.

It's Who Cares. And I'm all out of Give A Crap.

How can I be a good host to our Californian neighbors when I'm all out of give a crap?

HTown77095
5/5/2007, 12:06 AM
This is the reason why USC beat us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9o2UPdS6IU

StoopTroup
5/5/2007, 09:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing....

We should take our own food and drinks the next time we are in Kalifornication.

Rhino
5/6/2007, 01:53 AM
We must've asked 20 USC fans what Trojans had to do with Watts at the Orange Bowl. Not one person could tell us.

bri
5/6/2007, 01:56 AM
Why are USC athletic teams named "Trojans?"

Because "C*cksuckers" wouldn't fit on the jerseys?