PDA

View Full Version : OK, What WILL happen if/when the Iraq war is defunded?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/4/2007, 09:50 AM
Lay it out, including Middle East scenarios, and US election ramifications for '08 and '10. Include the US and world economy. Comment on any or all of these things.

yermom
5/4/2007, 09:52 AM
i think we should give Iraq to our friends the Kuwaitis and Saudis

5/4/2007, 09:54 AM
i think we should give Iraq to our friends the Kuwaitis and SaudisBecause they need oil?

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 09:57 AM
the iraqis will throw flowers at our feet and great us as liberators? ;)

Howzit
5/4/2007, 10:00 AM
We will build a huge wall around those pussies and call it the Great Wall of Gina.

i'll got nuthin forever...won't i?

yermom
5/4/2007, 10:01 AM
Because they need oil?

so we are there for oil?

StoopTroup
5/4/2007, 10:01 AM
I really hope John McCain follows OBL to the gates of hell whether he wins or not.

I think there are quite a few of us who would help him.

Where's Ross Perot when we really need him?

King Crimson
5/4/2007, 10:04 AM
the republicans will get their wet dream with deffunding. they will blame the dims for the lack of success and the pre-surge effort will be romanticized as proof of pre-dim success. when, in fact, it's just more death tolls.

5/4/2007, 10:27 AM
so we are there for oil?Haha.

Fraggle145
5/4/2007, 10:29 AM
:pop:

oumartin
5/4/2007, 10:50 AM
Hillary Clinton will save us all!

5/4/2007, 11:09 AM
Hillary Clinton will save us all!Cryogenically speaking?

Mjcpr
5/4/2007, 11:11 AM
Lay it out, including Middle East scenarios, and US election ramifications for '08 and '10. Include the US and world economy. Comment on any or all of these things.

Do we have to show our work?

yermom
5/4/2007, 11:17 AM
Haha.

well?

why are we there, exactly?

why couldn't some US friendly ME country take it/protect it?

why does Iraq even need it's own government?

5/4/2007, 11:18 AM
Do we have to show our work?There will be no grades. Just have a ball with it.

5/4/2007, 11:20 AM
well?

why are we there, exactly?

why couldn't some US friendly ME country take it/protect it?

why does Iraq even need it's own government?Haha

TheHumanAlphabet
5/4/2007, 12:26 PM
Our boys will come home, congress can reduce the military, Iraq will be stable, the price of oil will come down because of all the stability, islam will reform from the exposure of how the west treats wimmen, India and China will decide to stay in the third world and stop using energy, and Hillary will be the first wimmens pres and watch as the U.S. and the west has the greatest economic boon evar!

Osce0la
5/4/2007, 12:49 PM
IBTL

;)

Vaevictis
5/4/2007, 12:51 PM
Heh, short term, or long term?

Long term, I think the answer is the same either way: We end up with a government in Iraq that is just as unfriendly as Saddam ever was.

If we stick it out and manage to leave a self-sustaining democratic government there, I think the government will naturally skew fundamentalist Islam given the population. If we don't, I think that we get a less democratic government, but one that still skews fundamentalist Islam.

Either way, we're not going to like the outcome on that front. I think a friendly democracy is a pipe dream; a friendly dictator might actually work out, but apparently, that's not what we're fighting for.

The only real difference that has a true positive result between the two options that I expect in the long term is that the one where we manage to stabilize the place ends up with lower gas prices because Iraq won't have to go through a protracted full blown civil war and probable complete collapse of infrastructure that would go with it.

Fugue
5/4/2007, 12:54 PM
screw Iraq, they just got done stoning a 17 year old girl for dating the wrong dude. peaceful people my a5s

JohnnyMack
5/4/2007, 12:59 PM
When we leave, regardless of when that is, Iraq will be a teetering mess of a country that has a near zero percent chance of maintaining stability. Iran will push them over, take control of the oil fields and start pumping it back to Russia and China. Russia and China will bolster the Iranian military thus allowing Iran to gain an even stronger footing in the region, putting more and more pressure on Israel to the point at which they invade/nukify Israel, this will lead to a strong response (nuclear) from us. At that point after what is today Israel and Iraq and everything in between are turned into sheets of glass we'll either plunge into all out nuclear war or everyone will retreat into neutral corners and say, "oops". My money is the globe looking like some sort of post-apocalyptic nightmare resembling a combination of The Postman and On The Beach. Enjoy.

Mjcpr
5/4/2007, 12:59 PM
screw Iraq, they just got done stoning a 17 year old girl for dating the wrong dude. peaceful people my a5s

I hate it when an intellectual butts into a thread.

Fugue
5/4/2007, 01:02 PM
I hate it when an intellectual butts into a thread.

now, if only someone funny would now show up

Mjcpr

You're 0-2 then.

BlondeSoonerGirl
ZANG!!!

Fugue
5/4/2007, 01:04 PM
You're 0-2 then.

good one

yermom
5/4/2007, 01:21 PM

haha

5/4/2007, 03:36 PM
Good answers, so far. Guess we need to do more domestic oil production, and/or quickly come up with that economical, renewable, environmentally friendly source of energy.

BigRedJed
5/4/2007, 03:49 PM
AND start restructuring the way we build our cities. Suburban sprawl is a HUGE factor in all of this, and never even gets mentioned in the coversation. Workable transit and concentrating the people/jobs/services within short distances of each other fixes a HUGE portion of our energy consumption problem.

Yet we continue to subsidize suburban housing via FHA/VA loans that favor/dictate single-family housing, provision of new services to newly-built, outlying areas at the exact same cost as established areas, and myriads of other areas lacking disincentives. We all want to have our cake and eat it too, and then we sit around waiting for the magic pill, "renewable energy sources." Here's an idea: USE LESS ENERGY!

Petro-Sooner
5/4/2007, 03:50 PM
and/or quickly come up with that economical, renewable, environmentally friendly source of energy.

Hey hey hey. NO need to talk that kind of rubish. This is a family board. Fossils fuels is the way to go.

:texan:

royalfan5
5/4/2007, 03:52 PM
Hey hey hey. NO need to talk that kind of rubish. This is a family board. Fossils fuels is the way to go.

:texan:
Also long as all the work can be done by robots, I agree.

5/4/2007, 04:19 PM

:texan:For now, it is, and we can easily kick domestic production up, if there is the political will. The oil industry would gladly respond to a more favorable political climate.

Mjcpr
5/4/2007, 04:22 PM
Isn't the latest hand wringing because of the lack of refinery capacity and that's where the blame for the most recent increase in gas prices lies?

I was under the impression there was plenty of oil in the market but they're not able to refine it. Or something.

SoonerDood
5/4/2007, 06:05 PM
haha when the GOP was in control the Dims cry was, "THEY ARE RUINING EVERYTHING! Lower oil prices NOW you greedy goobers!" Now the Dims are in control and it's, "Consumers need to quit their way of life and lower the demand. It's all up to them."

PrideTrombone
5/4/2007, 06:45 PM
...not much will happen. I'll still have a good job, go to games and cook outside. My property taxes will go up as usual and the news guys will go nuts and cream their jeans during the next yrs election falldeerol.

Yup. And gas will stay expensive no matter what.

Rogue
5/4/2007, 10:02 PM
When I heard 2 guys in the gun shop yesterday talkin' about how they are tired of "W" and "his war" I realized the end is coming soon. I figure that those on both sides will trip over each other trying to take credit for ending the war the soonest or the best. The next argument won't be when the war ends, it will be whose plan we follow to do it the bestest. There'll be no hand holding or Kum-Ba-Yah singing.

5/4/2007, 10:29 PM
When I heard 2 guys in the gun shop yesterday talkin' about how they are tired of "W" and "his war" I realized the end is coming soon. I figure that those on both sides will trip over each other trying to take credit for ending the war the soonest or the best. The next argument won't be when the war ends, it will be whose plan we follow to do it the bestest. No doublt there are some gun owners who want to cut and run, but I doubt that many on the right want to take credit for defunding the troops. How do we best give up ? There's no winning way to do it.
What do you think will transpire after we pull out?

Rogue
5/4/2007, 10:46 PM
Oh, there will be attempts to "declare victory" before we pack our **** and go. The donkeys will try to withdraw congressional consent and then the elephants will say "nope, not on your terms because they're no good, here's our plan to get out."

Afterward, everyone will try to claim that their idea was best for 2008 elections. Here, troop support will dwindle after our sound byte memories fade and these troops that have been deployed for 2 and 3 long tours will be treated well for a few more years until the federal budget gets tight again.

Otherwise, things in the states won't change much. As for what happens in the middle east, I have no idea. We are trying to leave it in better shape than we found it. Sorta like turd polishing though.

Octavian
5/4/2007, 11:10 PM
the iraqis will throw flowers at our feet and great us as liberators? ;)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3888/wolfowitzsd9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)