PDA

View Full Version : Law requiring back up cameras?

OU4LIFE
5/4/2007, 08:25 AM
They are talking about this new 'epidemic' and how several children have been killed by people back up thier cars inot them. Now people are pushing the car manufacturers to have complete rear vision on the cars.

are you kidding me? Does none of this fall on the parents of these kids? You know, when my daughter was that age, I made it my responsibility to watch her and make sure she didn't get into those situations. How is this now the cars manufacturers fault?

I mean, I feel for the people whol lost children like this, and it's a terrible tragedy for them, but I hardly think it's the cars fault. One case they were talking about involved a 16 month old. The mom said the child had 'wandered off', no w i'm no rocket scientist, but that is what kids do...and it's your responsibility, especially when CARS ARE AROUND to watch and protect them form this.

epidemic...pfffft. Man them lawmakers are earnin their money protecting us from the evil cars manufacturers....:rolleyes:

People, watch your kids. I mean the man let a 16 month old wander off behind a car that was leaving his house....I have a pretty clear idea of who was at fault there, IMO.

thoughts?

Vaevictis
5/4/2007, 08:47 AM
All I'm going to say is:

1. If the parent isn't paying attention to where the kids are
2. and if the drivers aren't paying attention to what's behind them

... well, I don't see how a rear view camera is going to help.

Hamhock
5/4/2007, 08:49 AM
clearly cars, and especially cars with reverse, are a menace to society. They should be banned or their ownership severely limited.

I also look forward to the lawsuits against the reverse manufacturers.

KABOOKIE
5/4/2007, 09:49 AM
Cars are dangersous.

Coffee is hot.

People are stupid.

You can thank Stella

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 09:59 AM
Cars are dangersous.

Coffee is hot.

People are stupid.

You can thank Stella

obviously you aren't familiar with the facts of the stella case

StoopTroup
5/4/2007, 10:10 AM
I was driving my Dad around the other night in his Caddy as it was dark and he's 79 and his night vision isn't great anymore....

I turn on the lights and we are off...

The car has night vision that displays onto the windshield in front of me ! ! !

I was so taken aback that I had to really watch myself from taking my eyes off the road.

It's a cool feature but it would really take some getting used too IMO.

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 10:12 AM
i propose strapping a midget to your bumper, that way when you back up he/she can slap any kids out of the way.

StoopTroup
5/4/2007, 10:14 AM
That's really not cool unless it's a whorn or poke midget.

NormanPride
5/4/2007, 10:29 AM
I actually bumped into a 7-8 year old in a parking lot. The kid was running around in the grassy area in front of a store, and chose that moment to run right behind my car as it was backing out. I KNOW I checked my mirrors about 500 times, and was watching behind me when I backed out - there was NO way to see the kid. Luckily, he was more scared than hurt, and his mom was right there to tell him he was an idiot.

That scared the pi$$ out of me. What if the mom had freaked?

KABOOKIE
5/4/2007, 10:33 AM
obviously you aren't familiar with the facts of the stella case

Obviously I am. Coffee is hot. McDonald’s wanted their coffee to be hot. McDonald’s didn’t warn their customers that coffee was hot. McDonald’s had similar cases were people burned themselves by pouring hot coffee in their lap. I DON”T CARE. Coffee is hot. If you pour it on your lap you’re going to be severely burned. Smart people don’t need to be warned that coffee is hot and not to pour it on their lap. Stupid people are rewarded for their lack of responsibility and dumb activity. American business ends up paying the price because stupid people on the jury feel like big companies should protect them from their own actions.

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 10:37 AM
I actually bumped into a 7-8 year old in a parking lot. The kid was running around in the grassy area in front of a store, and chose that moment to run right behind my car as it was backing out. I KNOW I checked my mirrors about 500 times, and was watching behind me when I backed out - there was NO way to see the kid. Luckily, he was more scared than hurt, and his mom was right there to tell him he was an idiot.

well then you would have had to kill them both.

oumartin
5/4/2007, 10:37 AM
you should either back into your parking spot or park in a manner where your first move is foward!

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 10:38 AM
Obviously I am. Coffee is hot. McDonald’s wanted their coffee to be hot. McDonald’s didn’t warn their customers that coffee was hot. McDonald’s had similar cases were people burned themselves by pouring hot coffee in their lap. I DON”T CARE. Coffee is hot. If you pour it on your lap you’re going to be severely burned. Smart people don’t need to be warned that coffee is hot and not to pour it on their lap. Stupid people are rewarded for their lack of responsibility and dumb activity. American business ends up paying the price because stupid people on the jury feel like big companies should protect them from their own actions.

that is one interesting interpretation of the facts. a little wrong and incomplete but interesting nonetheless

KABOOKIE
5/4/2007, 10:46 AM
that is one interesting interpretation of the facts. a little wrong and incomplete but interesting nonetheless

Really? I was unaware that McDonald's poured the hot coffee into her lap. I guess in that case she was well deserved of a settlement.

Hamhock
5/4/2007, 10:48 AM
you should either back into your parking spot or park in a manner where your first move is foward!

you're gonna run over a kid, either coming or going.

oumartin
5/4/2007, 10:51 AM
no because if you "back" into your spot you have already viewed the area where you are backin! you gonna just back into the spot without first viewing it? ;)

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 10:52 AM
Really? I was unaware that McDonald's poured the hot coffee into her lap. I guess in that case she was well deserved of a settlement.

in case you are interested in educating yourself about the hows and whys of the case. http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

McDonald's refused an offer to settle with her for $20,000 in medical costs....turned out to be a poor decision.

NormanPride
5/4/2007, 10:56 AM
well then you would have had to kill them both.

You mean I didn't have to? Well, ****.

Hamhock
5/4/2007, 11:02 AM
no because if you "back" into your spot you have already viewed the area where you are backin! you gonna just back into the spot without first viewing it? ;)

the kids don't fall asleep under the tires..they come shooting out of thin air at the last minute.

just accept the fact that running over a kid is a fact of life.

Hatfield
5/4/2007, 11:21 AM
a delicious fact of life

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/4/2007, 11:25 AM
'back up cameras'...heh.

skycat
5/4/2007, 11:30 AM
I need to tell my wife that there is a law requiring me to buy an extra camera.

I have my eye on a D200.

KABOOKIE
5/4/2007, 02:28 PM
in case you are interested in educating yourself about the hows and whys of the case. http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

McDonald's refused an offer to settle with her for $20,000 in medical costs....turned out to be a poor decision.

McDonald's poor decision is immaterial as to who poured the coffee into Stella's lap.

Think of it this way. A wet driveway is hazardous. If I slipped on your driveway while delivering your mail you'd be ****ed about paying me $20,000 to cover my medical expenses. Of course we'd then take you to court proving to a jury that you knew that your driveway was wet and you had washed your car the previous week leaving soap residue on the surface making it even more hazardous. But, I guess it’s your fault because you decided to fight it.

OU4LIFE
5/4/2007, 05:38 PM
I don't think you people understand.

24 kids since the year 2000.

EP I DEM IC.

sooneron
5/4/2007, 05:41 PM
I don't think you people understand.

24 kids since the year 2000.

EP I DEM IC.
I wonder what the vehicles were...

OU4LIFE
5/4/2007, 05:43 PM
epidemic vans

sooneron
5/4/2007, 05:47 PM
Actually, I wonder which sex was more prevalent in the driver's seat...

OU4LIFE
5/4/2007, 05:48 PM
epidemic sex

IronSooner
5/4/2007, 05:49 PM
the kids don't fall asleep under the tires..they come shooting out of thin air at the last minute.

just accept the fact that running over a kid is a fact of life.

Which is why we should make laws to ban reverse gears in cars, require cameras with each car, and make it mandatory to affix one of these to both the front and back of every vehicle:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/61869/2/istockphoto_61869_locomotive.jpg

Frozen Sooner
5/4/2007, 05:51 PM
McDonald's poor decision is immaterial as to who poured the coffee into Stella's lap.

Think of it this way. A wet driveway is hazardous. If I slipped on your driveway while delivering your mail you'd be ****ed about paying me $20,000 to cover my medical expenses. Of course we'd then take you to court proving to a jury that you knew that your driveway was wet and you had washed your car the previous week leaving soap residue on the surface making it even more hazardous. But, I guess it’s your fault because you decided to fight it.

Actually, you're 100% incorrect on this. His homeowner's insurance would pay your claim without a peep. It would be covered under no-fault medical payment.

soonerboomer93
5/4/2007, 06:23 PM

then you just gas it...

soonerboomer93
5/4/2007, 06:24 PM
You mean I didn't have to? Well, ****.

just stack them in the hooker pile and say you went on a trip to thailand...

Jerk
5/4/2007, 06:41 PM
People die.

Liberals freak out, want more government and less freedom...

And people still die.

KABOOKIE
5/4/2007, 06:44 PM
Actually, you're 100% incorrect on this. His homeowner's insurance would pay your claim without a peep. It would be covered under no-fault medical payment.

I'm not talking about the way it works in the sue happy world. I'm talking about the way it should work.

His Insurance = Him.

Stupid guy that slipped should have stupid guy's insurance pay.

But, we'll continue to sue the people who have money i.e. insurance companies and big buisness for stupid people's mistakes.