PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe you guys weren't interested in the bee story

Jerk
5/3/2007, 04:41 PM
I think it's because the story was so long, it would have taken you panzies tooooo long to read.

So, being the nice guy that I am, I will give you cliff notes:

Honey bees are dying at an alarming rate.

Scientists do not know why.

1/3 of our food comes from pollinated vegitation.

Bees do 80% of this pollination.

We're fcked. Over.

I just hope that Stoops has time to bring home one more crystal ball before the end of civilisation as we know it.

yermom
5/3/2007, 04:45 PM
i read it but couldn't come up with anything funny and/or sarcastic to say

TheUnnamedSooner
5/3/2007, 04:48 PM
eh, it also said this has happened several times in the past. Bees will survive, we won't be stuck to the "bread and water" gloomy days they talk about.

Viking Kitten
5/3/2007, 04:48 PM
No problem. Soylent Green. YWIA.

Jerk
5/3/2007, 04:54 PM
No problem. Soylent Green. YWIA.

ohh okay.

I'm sorry, guys.

I guess I kind of over-reacted.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 04:57 PM
It didn't say the bees are dying they are just leaving and not coming back.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 04:58 PM
They'll probably be back when they don't get the needed fan support back home.

crawfish
5/3/2007, 05:00 PM
I'm a bit more worried about the message "SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FLOWERS" written in honeycomb...

Viking Kitten
5/3/2007, 05:04 PM
I'm a bit more worried about the message "SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FLOWERS" written in honeycomb...

In ur User CP. Leavin u HGTTG spek.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 05:08 PM
Maybe congress voted on a withdrawl.

Jerk
5/3/2007, 05:47 PM
Can we survive on nothing but rice?

achiro
5/3/2007, 05:51 PM
eh, just hire a bunch of messicans to take care of the pollinating by hand for fitty cent an hour.

achiro
5/3/2007, 05:53 PM
http://pollinator.com/hand_pollination.htm

BTW, this site just sounds dirty:
"Swabbing the Pollen"
"Touching the Stigma"
"The pollen on our swab"
"sticky stigma"
"ovary"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 05:56 PM
ohh okay.

I'm sorry, guys.

I guess I kind of over-reacted.
so now I can't joke about guns or bees.

gotcha.:D

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 06:04 PM
I was curious about the story, but I figured it was none of my bees wax. :D

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 06:10 PM
I was curious about the story, but I figured it was none of my bees wax. :D

Boy that's a honey of a joke Mama. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 06:13 PM
Boy that's a honey of a joke Mama. :rolleyes:
She combed thru all her material for it .

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 06:27 PM
Bad jokes like that make me break out in hives.

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 06:29 PM
:D

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2007, 06:41 PM
I think it's because the story was so long, it would have taken you panzies tooooo long to read.

We're fcked. Over.

I just hope that Stoops has time to bring home one more crystal ball before the end of civilisation as we know it.

Dude, I would have never guessed Jerk was British.

Fraggle145
5/3/2007, 07:06 PM

We're fcked. Over.

Jerk, sorry I read it I just havent had anytime to think about it. One of the reasons that they have reduced genome capabilities is the limited number of recombination opportunities with one queen and very few males within a colony.

It has been shown in other species that can reproduce asexually or with low amounts of sx and recombination that they tend to sort of dump genes that they arent using and deleterious mutations can spread quite rapidly within populations. Hence their increased suscptibility not only to mutation, but a reduced resistance to infection and parasitism.

This may also be an example of mismatches starting to occur with global warming (man caused or not). What I mean by this is that temperature can and already has been shown to effect times of plant blooms, invertebrate egg development etc... It has been shown for example in lakes that algal blooms have been occurring earlier in the year but some species of zooplankton have not been able to develop earler etc... so maybe this could be mismatch between the bees development and the plants development as a food source. Or it could be mismatching the ability of the bees to resist in colder temperatures and new parasites being able to proliferate in warmer tmeperatures.

Man this could be all kinds of things.

I would suggest reading the book that was mentioned in the article E.O. Wilson's The Creation. (http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Appeal-Save-Life-Earth/dp/0393062171/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4905719-0514400?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178236797&sr=8-1) This book talks about the need for people on all sides to quit fighting about differences of opinion between science and religion and come together to save life on earth. Hopefully we can figure this out. This is a really strong selection pressure faced by the bees especially with the invasion of the africanized honey bee.

Anyway thanks for the info. :cool:

Jerk
5/3/2007, 07:22 PM
Well..hmm

Assuming that the Earth's climate has gone through cyclical changes for eons and eons, with glacial periods interrupted by natural global warming as far back as time itself, and assuming that we all know that climate is always changing, and doesn't stay the same, because it has changed before, and it will change again, then what about this particular half-degree warming period happening now would cause more damage than a previous warm-up...like the one that happened in the middle ages?

Whew. That was a long sentence.

Fraggle145
5/3/2007, 07:38 PM
Well..hmm

Assuming that the Earth's climate has gone through cyclical changes for eons and eons, with glacial periods interrupted by natural global warming as far back as time itself, and assuming that we all know that climate is always changing, and doesn't stay the same, because it has changed before, and it will change again, then what about this particular half-degree warming period happening now would cause more damage than a previous warm-up...like the one that happened in the middle ages?

Whew. That was a long sentence.

The problem is I dont know enough about the evolutionary history of bees to answer thsi question. were bees the dominant pollinators then? I have no idea.

I wasnt really trying to say that GW is causing "damage" I was trying to say it is causing changes to systems that we rely on and we dont always know what those changes will be or how species can adapt to them. The argument for bees is that they may not have the genetic ability (for lack of a better term) to cope with whatever this new selection pressure is.

The interesting thing about this 0.5-2.0 C (depending on where you are, etc) is that since the existance of humans we have largely been within a set of temperatures. we are now starting to get outside of that temperature range. Also the earth has also evolved in response to these temperatures over a pretty long period. We rely on many processes provided by the other organisms and ecosystems that have evolved within that temperature range. When the temperature starts to increase many processes change (often increase in speed, which may or not be physically maintainable). So is it damaging the earth? probably not its gonna be around long after we are, but it can be damaging to us and the bees may be an example of that.

I'm not saying this has to be because of GW. This could be because of a whole number of factors. I was just speculating and pointing out that many mismatches between predator-prey, primary producers-grazers, and parasite-host relationships have changed as a result of the change in temperatures that we have seen just in north america since the turn of the century (e.g., 1900-now). So that it was a possibility. It could be something else. Thats why we will have to see how the bees do. I was also pointing out that it could increase the potential for North America to be increasingly invaded by the africanized honeybee, which is often a better competitor than the european honeybee that we have been relying on in NA's recent history. Hell it could be a parasite transfer from these bees. we will just have to see. it should be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Jerk
5/3/2007, 09:29 PM
I'm in yur base, killin' yur beez

http://www.ar15.com/images/pixels/clear.gif
www.capitalpress.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=31059&SectionID=67&SubSectionID=&S=1 (http://www.capitalpress.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=31059&SectionID=67&SubSectionID=&S=1)
3/16/2007 6:00:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Comment on this article
Beekeepers focus on overall colony health
Advisory committee would be set up within state agency

Cookson Beecher
Capital Press Staff Writer

Eastern Washington beekeeper Eric Olson said he has had a good winter. He lost only 2,000 hives - the equivalent of 11.7 percent of his overall operation - and $280,000 in almond-pollination income in California alone.

He counts himself lucky. He knows of other beekeepers who have lost far more, one of them a beekeeper in the TriCities area who lost 50 percent of his hives.

In the Spokane area, huge losses are being reported this winter.

"Almost everyone had major losses of 50 to 60 percent, although some beekeepers did well," Olson said.

In Western Washington, things are looking a lot better than last year, when the region experienced what Olson describes as a "100 percent wipeout."

While some are attributing the losses to colony collapse disorder, a mysterious illness that's killing tens of thousands of honeybee colonies across the nation, Olson said it's not as easy as pointing a finger to what is still an unknown.

"The scientists are studying colony collapse, but no one knows for sure what's causing it because the bees are dead and gone," he said. "I've heard all of the theories. Everyone's puzzled by it."

He thinks the disorder may actually be a combination of many things that can afflict bees, among them mites, drought, faulty management systems and perhaps even the Northwest climate.
For beekeepers in Washington, the loss of so many colonies has injected added urgency into their goal of setting up an advisory committee within the state's Agriculture Department and working with Washington State University to guide research toward developing a "whole" picture of colony health.

In a recent letter to beekeepers, James Bach, retired Washington state apiarist, provided an update.

On March 8, Bach, along with beekeepers Olson and John Timmons, met with Valoria Loveland, director of the state's Agriculture Department, to talk about the formation of an Apiary Advisory Committee. In his letter to the beekeepers, Bach said Loveland endorsed the idea for the advisory committee, promising the help of the department in getting it formed.

"Beekeepers across the country have experienced disturbing losses of their hives," Loveland said in an e-mail. "A renewed advisory committee would help focus those efforts. I strongly support research efforts to shed some light on the mystery of dying hives."

In the past, an advisory committee operated within the department, but it was disbanded when the department's Apiary Program was terminated in December 2000.

Nevertheless, the department's beekeeper registration program was retained and the money collected in registration fees has funded research of interest to Washington beekeepers.

In 2005-06, 251 beekeepers registered 71,334 colonies. There is about $73,000 in the registration account. It costs the department about $2,000 annually to conduct the registration process.

On the research front, Bach, Olson and Idaho commercial beekeeper Tom Hamilton met with Dan Bernardo, dean of Washington State University's College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences, to discuss the needs of the commercial and noncommercial beekeepers in the state.

In February, the beekeepers met with two of the honeybee researchers at WSU and gave them what Olson refers to as a "vision" for what they want to see at WSU.

"We want a world-class bee program," Olson said, pointing out that the P.F. Thurber Endowed Chair at WSU is the only endowed chair for honeybee research in the nation. "We want WSU to be out in the front of this."

The beekeepers would like research to be done on a wide array of bee-related health factors, among them environmental, chemical and other effects on colonies. The focus would be on knowing what's actually happening in the hives.

Key to this approach are monthly assessments of the hives for several years.

One of the short-term goals Olson has in mind is for WSU to offer beekeepers diagnostic services, which the beekeepers would pay for.

Olson said he's excited about the getting the ball rolling. "We're pushing hard," he said. "We've got to get things going."

Cookson Beecher is based in Sedro-Woolley, Wash. Her e-mail address is [email protected].

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 09:30 PM
now you killed this thread.