PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy the music your parents made you listen too?

royalfan5
5/3/2007, 01:02 PM
As I was driving to the office today, listening to my Genesis's Greatest Hits CD, I realized I enjoy all the music my Mom made me listen to when I was younger, except Reo Speedwagon. I like Genesis, The Moody Blues, misc. other 70's, early 80's prog rock. Is anybody else the same way?

JohnnyMack
5/3/2007, 01:03 PM
My God, what are you 18?

royalfan5
5/3/2007, 01:05 PM
My God, what are you 18?

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 01:05 PM
i am. but for me, it's classic country.

pup

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 01:07 PM

how is it possible that someone not even old enough to remember watching George Brett play (or charge an umpire) can like the royals?

i always figured you were in your late 40s.

royalfan5
5/3/2007, 01:10 PM
how is it possible that someone not even old enough to remember watching George Brett play (or charge an umpire) can like the royals?

i always figured you were in your late 40s.
I come from a baseball loving family, I saw George Brett play every year in the mid to late 80's to early 90's. Those were some decent ball clubs, I just never got to see him play 3rd base since he was shifted to first base. I had no fewer than 5 George Brett posters hanging in my bedroom when I was younger.

critical_phil
5/3/2007, 01:15 PM
no, i hate the Bill Gaither Trio.

(certainly there's a 70's child of devout southern baptist parents that gets this)

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 01:16 PM
no, i hate the Bill Gaither Trio.

(certainly there's a 70's child of devout southern baptist parents that gets this)

my parents recently drove to Branson to hear them. i feel your pain.

Tailwind
5/3/2007, 01:19 PM
No, I turned my mom on to MY music. She liked all of it except Black Sabbath...prolly cuz I would listen to the same album over and over and over. :D

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 01:59 PM
hell, yeah.

Otis Redding, the Beatles, Sam and Dave, Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown, Sam Cooke.....Neil Young, Prince.

god bless my mom.

sooner_born_1960
5/3/2007, 02:01 PM
I must be about your mom's age. And REO rocks.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 02:04 PM
i left out Ray Charles.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/3/2007, 02:19 PM
Yes.

My Dad was a music head ( :O ) so I've been listening to rock since I was borned.

All 70s rock - I know it and love it all. Even some Motown and a little country. He'd get a new album and play it over and over over....I've got burn spots on my brain in the middle of songs from the 'clicks' are when an 8-track would change.

When the 80s came around I went my own way and he hated all the crap I loved. We'd fight all the time about what sucked and what didn't. Mine mostly sucked back then...

So yeah - I do. Luckily he had good taste.

Howzit
5/3/2007, 02:22 PM
No.

Kingston Trio, etc.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 02:34 PM
howzit: from freddy fender to richard thompson....snorf halupa lafff.

;)

skycat
5/3/2007, 02:34 PM
Well here's to you, Mrs. Robinson...

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 02:35 PM
Oh Mandy

Will you kiss me and stop me from shaking

Cuz I need to today

oh Mandy

dolemitesooner
5/3/2007, 02:35 PM
Jounrney and REO SPEED TRAIN SUCK MY BALLS

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 02:37 PM
Jounrney and REO SPEED TRAIN SUCK MY BALLS
When they said they were lovin', touch'n , squeez'n another........I had no idea it was you.

crawfish
5/3/2007, 02:43 PM
I hated it as a kid, but I've learned to appreciate it a little more as I've gotten older. I do like you dad's music - which was my music. :O

I've got my oldest hooked on Yes right now...he's listening to the old 70's stuff and loving it. He told me the other day, "none of the kids of school have ever heard of them, but all the teachers have". :D

TUSooner
5/3/2007, 02:56 PM
Mine didn't actually "make me" listen to their music, but I kinda miss it: Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Kingston Trio, Eddie Arnold, etc etc. all the antediluvian ("Just Before the Rock & Roll Flood") stuff. Sometime you get tired of the jaded cynicism and cultivated badness of rockers. At least I do. Some of those old standards had someting positive to express, and they did it with grace and style (and sometimes humor). Even Rod Stewart would agree with that.
Hand me my AARP card, please.... :)

soonerbrat
5/3/2007, 04:15 PM
my favorite album of my mom's - Court & Spark by Joni Mitchell

soonerinabilene
5/3/2007, 05:44 PM
I wouldnt say i really enjoy it, but everytime i hear conway twitty it reminds me of my mom listening to him all the time.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 05:47 PM
As I was driving to the office today, listening to my Genesis's Greatest Hits CD, I realized I enjoy all the music my Mom made me listen to when I was younger, except Reo Speedwagon. I like Genesis, The Moody Blues, misc. other 70's, early 80's prog rock. Is anybody else the same way?
I do actually. In fact, I think that's probably why I'm so far behind with music today. My parents only listened to oldies and Classic Rock and I just grew up liking it and that was the only thing I listened to for a very long time.

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 06:26 PM
I love my parents music still to this day. We're a very musical family. My parents loved Big band, Swing, Classical, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Jazz and Opera. My father played the sax and mother was a pianist.

r5TPsooner
5/3/2007, 06:28 PM
Johnny Cash is the only one that comes to mind.

Frozen Sooner
5/3/2007, 07:22 PM
Beach Boys-Check
Creedence-Check
Howlin' Wolf-Check

rufnek05
5/3/2007, 07:25 PM
my parents listened to KOMA 92.5. and i still love the musice from the 60's and the 70's. i listen to the beatles and let the Led out more than i listen to the new stuff.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 07:40 PM
brats's mom is pretty cool.

Vaevictis
5/3/2007, 07:56 PM
Beatles
Beach Boys
Rush
Crosy, Stills & Nash (and Young...)
Don McLean
Gordon Lightfoot
John Cougar
Derek and the Dominos
Roy Orbison
Dire Straights
Cowboy Junkies
U2

Yeah, actually, I did like it. (and those were just the tapes that were always in the car for road trips. There was a lot more that I just don't remember, because we spent most of our time listening to music on drives between Dallas, Houston, Tulsa, Norman and Bartlesville...)

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 08:02 PM
roy is the truth.

TUSooner
5/3/2007, 10:02 PM
I love my parents music still to this day. We're a very musical family. My parents loved Big band, Swing, Classical, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Jazz and Opera. My father played the sax and mother was a pianist.
I tried to spek you, but I messed up my message somehow, so anyway - SPEK 'cuz you're just so SWELL! :D

royalfan5
5/3/2007, 10:05 PM
I forgot to mention that I also love Chicago. A lot. Even the super sappy 80's stuff.