PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Oklahoma Experience

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 12:13 PM
I would like to use my 100th post to officially announce The Unofficial Oklahoma Experience. This event is a 12 day, 3500+ mile trip I will be taking around the state in late June. The trip route will pass through the county seat of every county in the state (and there are 77 of them).

The trip route has pretty much been planned, and a rough itinerary has been drawn up. However, I would like suggestions as to locations in Oklahoma you think I should try to include. Who knows, maybe you will give me an idea for something I didn't know about or didn't think.

I will make requests for specific places to eat at a later date, with the planned towns of the eating stops. For now, things to do will suffice.

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 12:15 PM
skip Newkirk

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 12:27 PM
When you hit Muskogee take the short 5 minute trip across the bridge to Fort Gibson -- the oldest town in Oklahoma. Go see the fort and such and maybe swing by the national Cemetery.

There's not much to see in Muskogee except crack houses. Honor Heights Park and the Batfish are about the extent of things.

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 03:46 PM
skip Newkirk

I can't. One of the requirements I made for the trip was that I had to stop in every county seat, and Newkirk is the Kay County seat.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 03:51 PM
Wherever you go in the Beaver's Bend area, take the Hwy 259A (I think) jaunt through the State Park, it's a nice area. There's a logging museum (I know, sounds boring as hell but it's interesting) in the State Park area as well if you need to kill an hour or so. The whole area around Broken Bow Lake is really nice.

OKLA21FAN
5/3/2007, 03:51 PM
remember
Tulsa > OKC

Chuck Bao
5/3/2007, 04:03 PM
Interesting trip planned there, Oklaclarinet. I hope you take lots of pics and post your pics.

I was trying to think of things to do in Madill in late June. Little Glasses on Lake Texoma? If you were in Madill earlier in June, you could go to the Sandbass Festival.

Good luck on your trip.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 04:06 PM
I talked to the Alabama GOP Party representative who wrote a book about a trip he took similar to this. He went to every capital in all 50 states and attended a sporting event at each one. I didn't get his book, but it looked pretty good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/3/2007, 04:09 PM
LeFlore County:
Heavener Runestone
Kerr Mansion in Poteau
JFK Monument in Big Cedar
Spiro Mounds

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/3/2007, 04:10 PM
Kay County:
Marland Mansion

sooner_born_1960
5/3/2007, 04:12 PM
Canadian County - El Reno. Stay on I-40 and give the town the one-finger salute.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 04:14 PM
Kay County:
Marland Mansion

Take it to the WAYLT thread.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 04:16 PM
When you hit Muskogee take the short 5 minute trip across the bridge to Fort Gibson -- the oldest town in Oklahoma. Go see the fort and such and maybe swing by the national Cemetery.

There's not much to see in Muskogee except crack houses. Honor Heights Park and the Batfish are about the extent of things.
The Thomas-Foreman home is there, Three Rivers Museum is interesting, there another museum across the street from that one but I don't recall what it is. Oklahoma Music HOF or some such.

http://www.3riversmuseum.com/

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 04:20 PM
The Thomas-Foreman home is there, Three Rivers Museum is interesting, there another museum across the street from that one but I don't recall what it is. Oklahoma Music HOF or some such.

http://www.3riversmuseum.com/

There's also an Indian art museum at Bacone College in addition to the 5 Civ. Tribes Museum at Honor Heights.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.seic.okstate.edu/shpo/allsites.htm

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 05:01 PM

I worked in Ft Gibson for about two months in 2001 and I wouldn't waste my time. Muskogee either for that matter.There are more cops in FG then any little town that size I have ever seen.

Petro-Sooner
5/3/2007, 05:07 PM
When ya hit the town of nowata keep right on driving. Trust me.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 05:10 PM
I worked in Ft Gibson for about two months in 2001 and I wouldn't waste my time. Muskogee either for that matter.There are more cops in FG then any little town that size I have ever seen.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif
Where in FTG did you work?

skycat
5/3/2007, 05:19 PM
I would definitely do some noodling.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif
Where in FTG did you work?

The phone office.

It was right across the street from this church that wouldn't even let us use their parking lot. The little diner that was caddy-corner from the office was pretty decent but that was about your only option in town. The rest of the time we had to drive all the way out to hwy 62 to get something to eat.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 05:51 PM
The phone office.

It was right across the street from this church that wouldn't even let us use their parking lot. The little diner that was caddy-corner from the office was pretty decent but that was about your only option in town. The rest of the time we had to drive all the way out to hwy 62 to get something to eat.

There's the place down by the dam.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 06:03 PM
Well it was usually Sonic, Subway, Charlies Chicken or something like that when Ft Gibson rolled the streets up after dark. The lady at the diner did start staying open later just for us.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 06:07 PM
Well it was usually Sonis, Subway, Charlies Chicken or something like that when Ft Gibson rolled the streets up after dark. The lady at the diner did start staying open later just for us.

Yeah, I haven't eaten there since I was much younger. Its changed hands several times.

We've got a McDonalds now though next to Philips and across from Charlie's right off 64. There's also a donut shop so that doesn't do much good for din din.

There's also a hot dog place now and also a Mexican restaurant run by an actual Mexican family that is sooooo damned good. Bozena, the Polish restaurant, shut down though.

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2007, 06:43 PM
Canadian County - El Reno. Stay on I-40 and give the town the one-finger salute.

No kidding. El Reno is the ******* of Oklahoma....if not the country.

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 06:44 PM
Is there a method or Reason to this madness ?

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2007, 06:45 PM

Do they have a sign in front of Teddy Lehman's house yet...."Home of Teddy Lehman!!1!" ?

Okla-homey
5/3/2007, 06:46 PM
Get a burger at Hamburger Inn in the county seat of Carter Co. (Ardmore.) You'll thank me later.

I think you should call your junket the Oklagasm.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 06:46 PM
No kidding. El Reno is the ******* of Oklahoma....if not the country.

El Reno was one of the dirtiest towns I worked in. They did have this great fried onion burger place just down from the office.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2007, 06:48 PM
Do they have a sign in front of Teddy Lehman's house yet...."Home of Teddy Lehman!!1!" ?
They renamed the stretch of 64 highway betwen FTG and Muskogee after him.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 06:50 PM
Get a burger at Hamburger Inn in the county seat of Carter Co. (Ardmore.) You'll thank me later.

I think you should call your junket the Oklagasm.

I had one for breakfast there last Saturday. :D

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2007, 06:51 PM
El Reno was one of the dirtiest towns I worked in. They did have this great fried onion burger place just down from the office.

That would be Johnny's, the only redeeming quality of the craphole, it's been there forever. It used to be in a tiny narrow shop in one of the old downtown buildings, but I hear they moved a few years ago. I remember my grandpa taking me there when I was just a wee child. As a matter of fact, we had just gotten home with a load of Johnny's goodness, turned on the TV and found out Elvis died. I was like 6 at the time.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 06:52 PM
They renamed the stretch of 64 highway betwen FTG and Muskogee after him.

I was up there just after the big 2001 ice storm. Boy I sure did hate driving over the Arkansas River bridge when it was below freezing. I was sure worried it was going to be iced over.

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 07:01 PM
Awesome place. Only about 12 seats in the place but great burgers. Not far from that little house the school uses for an administrative building.

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 07:02 PM
That would be Johnny's, the only redeeming quality of the craphole, it's been there forever. It used to be in a tiny narrow shop in one of the old downtown buildings, but I hear they moved a few years ago. I remember my grandpa taking me there when I was just a wee child. As a matter of fact, we had just gotten home with a load of Johnny's goodness, turned on the TV and found out Elvis died. I was like 6 at the time.
At one time I think it was called Roberts, but I might be misremembering, and it could have easily changed hands since I ate there.

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 09:19 PM
Is there a method or Reason to this madness ?

Reason-mainly just because I wanted to see all of the state and visit every county. I thought locking myself into each county seat would ensure that I truly saw all parts of the state and didn't short change some.

Method is a spiral around the state. I am starting in the panhandle and looping continuously into Norman. It will take four complete loops to do the trip.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 09:34 PM
Here's a "Did you know" fact. Kenton Oklahoma in the panhandle is the only place in the state that is not on CST or CDT. They recognize MST or MDT. Until I went up there and to Black Mesa I always thought the entire state was in the same time zone. It’s possible they are but just run their lives on Mountain Time. There is a maker in the far NW corner of the state that marks where Oklahoma, Colorado and New Mexico all converge. Have you decided where you are spending the night when you make your trip?

Soonerus
5/3/2007, 09:39 PM
Great idea and will be great fun, I have been to about 55 county seats and it is always very interesting....Robert's is the great onion burger place in El Reno and always remember Tulsa has the little brother chip on the shoulder bad....

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 09:43 PM
Here's a "Did you know" fact. Kenton Oklahoma in the panhandle is the only place in the state that is not on CST or CDT. They recognize MST or MDT. Until I went up there and to Black Mesa I always thought the entire state was in the same time zone. It’s possible they are but just run their lives on Mountain Time. There is a maker in the far NW corner of the state that marks where Oklahoma, Colorado and New Mexico all converge. Have you decided where you are spending the night when you make your trip?

I haven't decided yet where I am spending the night on the night before my trip. I want to go with somewhere close to Black Mesa, because I want to officially start the trip with a sunrise on Black Mesa. I'm leaning towards either camping in the state park there or getting a hotel in Clayton, NM and driving up very early.

The other nights are set but are subject to change. They are:
Night 1: Bartlesville
Night 2-3: Poteau
Night 4: Altus
Night 5: Perry
Night 6: Tulsa
Night 7: Sulphur
Night 8: Guthrie
Night 9: McAlester
Night 10-11: Oklahoma City
Night 12: Norman (end of trip)

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 09:43 PM
Reason-mainly just because I wanted to see all of the state and visit every county. I thought locking myself into each county seat would ensure that I truly saw all parts of the state and didn't short change some.

Method is a spiral around the state. I am starting in the panhandle and looping continuously into Norman. It will take four complete loops to do the trip.
So ur doing this just for your selve ? cool
have a great time :cool:

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 09:45 PM
I haven't decided yet where I am spending the night on the night before my trip. I want to go with somewhere close to Black Mesa, because I want to officially start the trip with a sunrise on Black Mesa. I'm leaning towards either camping in the state park there or getting a hotel in Clayton, NM and driving up very early.

You live in Poteau , spend the night at the Olevet ski resort .:D

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 09:49 PM

I purposely put Poteau in there for nights for that reason. The first two stretches (Black Mesa to Bartlesville, Bartlesville to Poteau) will be two of the longer ones, so I thought it would be nice to relax a tad and use my place as a base of operations to see some of the many LeFlore county sites before heading on.

I also built in spare time in the schedule in case something happens or my time estimates turn out to be off. Having a spare day in Poteau helps in case I need to burn it to get back on schedule.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 09:52 PM

Just hope it's not on a night when the DEA agents show up. ;)

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 09:52 PM
So your sayin " No chance " ? :eek:

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 09:54 PM
Just hope it's not on a night when the DEA agents show up. ;)
Heh
I did my Spring cleaning . :P

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 09:55 PM

Here's a suggestion for your first night.

http://newsok.com/article/3047270/

oklaclarinet
5/3/2007, 09:59 PM
Here's a suggestion for your first night.

http://newsok.com/article/3047270/

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that.

Sooner24
5/3/2007, 10:02 PM
The story just ran yesterday in the Oklahoman.

oklaclarinet
5/8/2007, 12:20 AM
Ok, now is the time for food suggestions. Surely everyone out there has some good ones. Here are my planned lunch and dinner stops for the trip:

Day 1
Lunch: quick bite in Guymon or Beaver
Dinner: Ponca City (Head Country)

Day 2
Lunch: Bartlesville
Dinner: Sallisaw

Day 3
Lunch: Heavener
Dinner: Poteau

Day 4
Lunch: Durant
Dinner: Altus

Day 5
Lunch: Mangum (Hamburger Inn)
Dinner: Enid

Day 6
Lunch: Tulsa
Dinner: Tulsa

Day 7
Lunch: Tahlequah
Dinner: Atoka (or Tishomingo)

Day 8
Lunch: Meers (Meers Store)
Dinner: Guthrie

Day 9
Lunch: Stillwater
Dinner: Krebs (Pete's Place)

Day 10
Lunch: Ada
Dinner: El Reno, Yukon, or OKC

Day 11
Lunch: OKC
Dinner: OKC

Day 12
Lunch: Holdenville
Dinner: Norman (Vista)

For those places where I already have an idea of where I want to eat, I have listed them. Alternative suggestions will be taken under advisement, however.

Sooner24
5/21/2007, 09:15 PM
So has the trip started?

Sooner24
5/21/2007, 09:21 PM
Ok, now is the time for food suggestions. Surely everyone out there has some good ones. Here are my planned lunch and dinner stops for the trip:

Day 1
Lunch: quick bite in Guymon or Beaver
Dinner: Ponca City (Head Country)

Day 2
Lunch: Bartlesville
Dinner: Sallisaw

Day 3
Lunch: Heavener
Dinner: Poteau

Day 4
Lunch: Durant Bens BBQ west of town south side of the hwy.
Dinner: Altus

Day 5
Lunch: Mangum (Hamburger Inn)
Dinner: Enid

Day 6
Lunch: Tulsa
Dinner: Tulsa

Day 7
Lunch: Tahlequah
Dinner: Atoka (or Tishomingo)

Day 8
Lunch: Meers (Meers Store)
Dinner: Guthrie

Day 9
Lunch: Stillwater
Dinner: Krebs (Pete's Place)

Day 10
Lunch: Ada Folgers Hamburger On main street where the railroad tracks used to run.
Dinner: El Reno, Yukon, or OKC

Day 11
Lunch: OKC
Dinner: OKC

Day 12
Lunch: Holdenville
Dinner: Norman (Vista)

For those places where I already have an idea of where I want to eat, I have listed them. Alternative suggestions will be taken under advisement, however.

I added a couple of places for you to eat. If it were me I would hit Meers on the way to Altus. Durant to Altus is going to be a long drive anyway.

SoonerGirl06
5/21/2007, 09:27 PM
I added a couple of places for you to eat. If it were me I would hit Meers on the way to Altus. Durant to Altus is going to be a long drive anyway.

Wow! Is Meers still around? We used to eat there all the time when I was little. Really great memories of that place. I loved the hamburgers!

oklaclarinet
5/21/2007, 10:25 PM
The trip is currently scheduled for the end of June. I'll have to check out those places. I always enjoy a good burger and some nice BBQ.

I have Meers later in the trip because I am taking a more southern approach from Durant to Altus to pick up all the counties along the Red River. I'm catching Meers after I come out of Lawton before I take the stretch up through Hobart, Cordell, Arapaho, and Taloga at the end of the second loop around the state.

oklaclarinet
5/21/2007, 10:27 PM
Wow! Is Meers still around? We used to eat there all the time when I was little. Really great memories of that place. I loved the hamburgers!

The reason I chose Meers is because it is mentioned several times in the official state travel guide, so I figured it must be a place to stop for a good burger.

SoonerGirl06
5/21/2007, 10:32 PM
The reason I chose Meers is because it is mentioned several times in the official state travel guide, so I figured it must be a place to stop for a good burger.

Well, if they're anything like they used to be, you're in for a real treat!

From what I remember, it's a one of a kind place.