PDA

View Full Version : A Football Question?

SteelClip49
5/3/2007, 08:59 AM
You have Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Joe Washington, Walter Payton, Adrian Peterson, and other great running backs past and present.

But I ask you and for the ones who were around during the time...How good was Ernie Davis from Syracuse? According to JFK he was phenomenal and actually met him because he was a big fan. Ernie Davis passed away at the age of 23 from leukemia.

1961 Heisman Trophy Winner
Led 'Cuse to the 1959 National Title
1st overall pick in the 1962 NFL Draft

Even though he never got to play in the NFL, would he still be considered a top 10 runningback of all time?

Blues1
5/3/2007, 10:24 AM
For us Sooner College fans 'old enough' that saw him play I'd say Erine Davis would be in top 15 to 20 - And Probably East Coast College Fans would have him in Top 10....He would have made a Great Pro football player no doubt - Another Jim Brown...??? - We will never Know....??
Keep Rockin'

IronHorseSooner
5/3/2007, 11:34 AM
I go to the 'Cuse (through the Army), and fight ECB everyday. But from what my father-in-law, who watched him in person, says, he was one of the 15 best backs to have ever played the game. However, after watching an OU game with him last year, he says that AD is the best back that he has ever seen! This is awesome, considering that he also watched Jim Brown in person. He is also a Bills fan, and desperately wanted them to trade-up to get AD to replace McGahee.:D

SoonerLB
5/3/2007, 08:39 PM
I'm a big AD fan, but I'd say it is a little premature to say he is the best ever. He could well prove to be so though!
I would certainly add Gayle Sayers, Eric Dickerson, OJ (I know, but he WAS good), Marcus Allen, and Barry Sanders (I know, but he WAS good) into the mix, and I'm sure there are others as well that deserve a mention in a list such as this.
It was a joy to watch them all do their thing, and count the trail of jock straps left in their wakes! Thanks for the memories gentlemen! Oh, and you too OJ, even though my appreciation of you is very tarnished. As far as Ernie Davis, I barely remember seeing him play, and he was good, but I don't know how high I would fit him in the list of those mentioned so far.

goingoneight
5/3/2007, 11:09 PM
Drink apple juice, or OJ WILL KILL YOU!

SouthFortySooner
5/4/2007, 11:45 AM
There has been such an evolution of the football player I don't think you can compare them.