PDA

View Full Version : Hear it is

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 07:36 AM
while the Lips never refer to this record in a positive light. and Enigma producer Randy Burns made both the FL and defenestration hate themselves on their label debut....i think there is a lot to like in this record. I loved it when it came out.

i think if it came out today, it would be hailed as a great record once the Lips were afforded "weird cred".

ironic to me, that Staring at the Sound was the title of the book, since IMO that's the weakest cut on the whole record. i bought this LP at Shadowplay the day it came out. on white vinyl...with the coolest 4 time foldout, 2 sided lyric sheet and Wayne cartoons/graphics with Bob Dylan's head exploding.

unplugged, jesus shooting heroin, just like before, the goofball insanity Magical Mystery Tour background vocals on Charlie Manson Blues, the floating pop culture bliss of godzilla flick....are classic tunes. this is the last song ever written about Trains, Brains, and Rain.....

however, Restless gave this super weird record the worst album cover ever. evar.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 08:50 AM
bump # 1

Jeopardude
5/3/2007, 11:54 AM
It's a gooder, but don't dis Staring At Sound. I love that tune.

With You is a great first song.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 11:58 AM
It's a gooder, but don't dis Staring At Sound. I love that tune.

With You is a great first song.

not to whiff you off, but i think that and Man from Pakistan are the weakest on the LP, kind of filler. educate me on what i'm missing.

sooneron
5/3/2007, 12:02 PM
I like With You, My Own Planet, Out For A Walk- good stuff

Jeopardude
5/3/2007, 12:20 PM
not to whiff you off, but i think that and Man from Pakistan are the weakest on the LP, kind of filler. educate me on what i'm missing.

Oh watch out pal, I AM WHIFFED OFF! :D

Staring At Sound's little riff is catchy and this verse:

I want to be a movie-star,
And play the part of a man from outer-space.
When we meet, i'll fall in love with you.
And we have sex, but i don't know what to do (what to do).

made me giggle when I was, uh, "staring at sound" in college. You're right about Man From Pakistan. Godzilla Flick seems like filler to me.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 12:29 PM
I like With You, My Own Planet, Out For A Walk- good stuff

those are on the original EP. Restless packaged it with Hear it Is on the CD release.

the EP was on green or purple vinyl (forget). my sister has my copy through somewhat illicit family tolerances on my part, let's say. Hear it Is on white vinyl with a killer fold out lyric sheet (the original Norman release party at Shadowplay).

o my gawd was on clear vinyl.

and telepathic, i forget. have to ask my sister....

Priest was on pink vinyl. to me, Preist has some of the highest Lips moments....just pure art disaster.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 01:06 PM
as i mentioned before, you haven't lived until you've hear bag full and out for a walk played through a mesa boogie amp at max volume.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 01:13 PM
out for a walk is one of the coolest songs ever recorded.

syd's floyd, sabbath, the early alice cooper band etc. all at once. with the dog barking..

"ahh"

Soonerchaz
5/3/2007, 09:18 PM
while the Lips never refer to this record in a positive light. and Enigma producer Randy Burns made both the FL and defenestration hate themselves on their label debut....i think there is a lot to like in this record. I loved it when it came out.

i think if it came out today, it would be hailed as a great record once the Lips were afforded "weird cred".

ironic to me, that Staring at the Sound was the title of the book, since IMO that's the weakest cut on the whole record. i bought this LP at Shadowplay the day it came out. on white vinyl...with the coolest 4 time foldout, 2 sided lyric sheet and Wayne cartoons/graphics with Bob Dylan's head exploding.

unplugged, jesus shooting heroin, just like before, the goofball insanity Magical Mystery Tour background vocals on Charlie Manson Blues, the floating pop culture bliss of godzilla flick....are classic tunes. this is the last song ever written about Trains, Brains, and Rain.....

however, Restless gave this super weird record the worst album cover ever. evar.

Thanks for the trip back through memory lane.

Jeesh...Here It Is...in all it's sloppy garagy glory. A shocking listen compared to later period Lips...and amazingly still one of my favorite recordings from the guys.

Good on you for grabbing that white vinyl...very cool. Man...Shadowplay. Whatever happened to that place? I'm assuming it went down the tubes whenever Ruth left? Last time I was in there...probably 10 years ago...it was crap. But oh...back in the mid/late 80s...fun place to hang.