PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Birthday to me. :(

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 07:23 AM
Slickdaughters playhouse was blown over by the winds last night. I checked the anemometer once we got power back (about 1 this morning), we had sustained winds of 50 MPH for about eight minutes, with gusts to 57.
The footings were ripped out of the ground.

NO idea how to get this thing upright again.

And when she sees it, well, that's really gonna succ.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8086/img0112mediumwb0.jpg

jk the sooner fan
5/3/2007, 07:37 AM
dang - that is the suck

happy birthday - i'm sure you can get a neighbor or two to help upright it

OUDoc
5/3/2007, 07:39 AM
Enough guys ought to be able to get it on it's feet again.

Happy Birthday, anyway!

VeeJay
5/3/2007, 07:43 AM
Happy B'Day.

That thing is going to be S.O. lore for quite a while.

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 08:05 AM
You'll need about 4 or 5 guys to lift it in unison, wont you?

and Happy Birthday.

Mjcpr
5/3/2007, 08:37 AM
Well that's ironic.

You're the one bitchin' about the lack of predicted storms right? :D

Sorry, dude.

SoonerJack
5/3/2007, 08:39 AM
I bet it wasn't the wind. I bet it was the fat neighbor kids swinging too high while you were asleep. Slickdaughter, however, will remember that dad built it AND fixed it. You are an official paternal hero now.

Widescreen
5/3/2007, 08:45 AM
You might try getting several guys to help you set it up. Just a thought.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/3/2007, 08:48 AM
Man, that really sucks. The good thing is you should be able to call and get anything you need from the company...if you dont have your manual, let me know, I still have mine.

crawfish
5/3/2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe some other guys can help you get it back upright.

Widescreen
5/3/2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe some other guys can help you get it back upright.
Hey, I thought of that first. :mad:

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/3/2007, 08:54 AM
Since I brought up the manual, I thought I would read it a little and see what it says...maybe it has a troubleshooting section, sure enough it does.

Problem: Wind or fat kids has turned your playset over.

Solution: Get several people to help lift it back to an upright postion.

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 09:05 AM
If you had any friends, you could ask them to help stand it back up.

if you had any friends.

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 09:08 AM
really tall friends.

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 09:27 AM
or twice as many circus midget friends

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 09:32 AM
seriously. it was a booger for me to apply the sealant to the top of the roof.

the glass is half full...

picasso
5/3/2007, 09:33 AM
I don't see the problem. it looks like fun as it is.

jk the sooner fan
5/3/2007, 09:48 AM
if you dont have friends

get one of those big balloon thingies, slide it under there, inflate it and let it tip back over

oh, and widescreen - you did NOT come up with that idea first

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 09:53 AM
dude, hammer some stakes in the ground at the base where she lays, then tie yourself a rope to each corner near the top, attach to hitch of truck, and viola!, tinder.

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 09:55 AM
dude, hammer some stakes in the ground at the base where she lays, then tie yourself a rope to each corner near the top, attach to hitch of truck, and viola!, kindling.

fixed

Widescreen
5/3/2007, 09:58 AM
oh, and widescreen - you did NOT come up with that idea first
What you fail to realize is that I don't really care about posts that happen in a thread BEFORE I post. I actually don't really care about posts that happen AFTER I post either. Which makes this place kinda boring when I put myself on my ignore list.

Howzit
5/3/2007, 09:59 AM
Well that's ironic.

You're the one bitchin' about the lack of predicted storms right? :D

Sorry, dude.

It's because he was bitching about the predicitions.

Karma at work.

Maybe you get some people to help you stand it back up.

Or get a big ol' honkin crane...that would be hella kewl.

Like me, because I type hiply mis-type words such as 'cool' which becomes 'kewl'.

And crappy birthday to ewe.

There I go again.

royalfan5
5/3/2007, 10:10 AM
I bet Slickdaughter would be just as happy playing on it as it is now. I'd leave it.

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 10:12 AM
fixed

Wiki:

Tinder is easily flammable material used to ignite fires by rudimentary methods. A small fire consisting of tinder is then used to ignite kindling.

potato, potahto

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to get the neighbors to help, but several of the main support screws ripped out.

As for the irony, there is none. In fact, this reinforces my issue with the Dallas NWS.

For Monday and Tuesday, we were under a flash flood watch, 80% chance of thunderstorms, some severe, heavey rain likely, yada yada, .29 inches of rain.

For Wednesday, the forecast was 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms, no mention of severe weather at all.

So had they made Wednesday's forecast for Monday and Tuesday, and vice-verse, they would have gotten it right.

:texan:

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:21 AM
Since I brought up the manual, I thought I would read it a little and see what it says...maybe it has a troubleshooting section, sure enough it does.

Problem: Wind or fat kids has turned your playset over.

Solution: Get several people to help lift it back to an upright postion.

No fat kids around, had to be the wind.

But I just had a thought, what if the neighbors were having sex on it?

:eek:

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:22 AM
dude, hammer some stakes in the ground at the base where she lays, then tie yourself a rope to each corner near the top, attach to hitch of truck, and viola!, tinder.

Yeah, I am afraid it'll explode or something.

soonerbrat
5/3/2007, 10:24 AM
one of my coworkers has a birthday tomorrow so we all brought snacks today..office tradition. I'll enjoy some 7-layer dip in your birthday honor :)

sooner_born_1960
5/3/2007, 10:25 AM
I saw a couple MP's turn a truck upright on M*A*S*H one time. Maybe you need to find you some MP's.

Osce0la
5/3/2007, 10:28 AM
Isn't stuff like this exactly why the Messicans came over here? Pay them $20 and they'll get all their friends over to get it upright for you...

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 10:28 AM
i'm still really surprised the wind was strong enough to rip out the 6 18-inch screw stakes that you used. :texan:

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 10:29 AM
Isn't stuff like this exactly why the Messicans came over here? Pay them $20 and they'll get all their friends over to get it upright for you...

shoot, $20 bucks would get it re-roofed too.

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:30 AM

now there is an idea........

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:31 AM
i'm still really surprised the wind was strong enough to rip out the 6 18-inch screw stakes that you used. :texan:

Man, I still don't believe it either, but they came clean out of the ground.

I will rent an auger, dig down 3 feet, fill the holes with concrete, and anchor those stakes in the concrete next time. Dang, I still can't believe that happened.

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 10:52 AM
Man, I still don't believe it either, but they came clean out of the ground.

I will rent an auger, dig down 3 feet, fill the holes with concrete, and anchor those stakes in the concrete next time. Dang, I still can't believe that happened.

what did it to to the boards you had the stakes bolted to? anything? i don't see the stakes dangling from the swing end of your picture.

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 11:09 AM
what did it to to the boards you had the stakes bolted to? anything? i don't see the stakes dangling from the swing end of your picture.

I put all six around the main base of the playhouse, I thought since that was where the main surface area to catch wind was, I'd put them all there.

Jimminy Crimson
5/3/2007, 11:13 AM
Too much work to upright the swingset.

Why not just have a neighborhood bonfire? :texan:

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 11:17 AM
Well Happy, I mean "Crappy" Birthday anyway slick. ;)

Do you drink, because if so, its 5:00 somewhere. :P

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/birthdaycake.jpg

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 11:20 AM
Well Happy, I mean "Crappy" Birthday anyway slick. ;)

Do you drink, because if so, its 5:00 somewhere. :P

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/birthdaycake.jpg

No, but slickdaughter was delighted to give me a birthday card and present this morning. She's such a sweetie!

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 11:27 AM
No, but slickdaughter was delighted to give me a birthday card and present this morning. She's such a sweetie!

obviously, she hadn't seen her beloved swingset.

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 11:28 AM
No, but slickdaughter was delighted to give me a birthday card and present this morning. She's such a sweetie!Ahhh she is sweet. So what did you say about the jungle gym, or has she seen it yet? :)

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 11:38 AM
Ahhh she is sweet. So what did you say about the jungle gym, or has she seen it yet? :)

She actually did, and momma had already prepped her. So whe said "wind blow down my playhouse"

and I said "daddy will fix it!!"

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 11:44 AM
She actually did, and momma had already prepped her. So whe said "wind blow down my playhouse"

and I said "daddy will fix it!!"
Yes, of course Daddy will fix it. Daddy and all his friends. :D

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 09:34 PM
3/8" nylon rope and a pickemup truck, and the center piece is upright. I had to disassemble the tunnel/swing end and the slide end.

When I got home, slickdaughter said "Daddy! Fix my playhouse!!"

:D

olevetonahill
5/3/2007, 09:39 PM
Good jorb Ya cant disappoint the Baby:cool:

soonerboomer93
5/3/2007, 09:59 PM
and remember, once you rig a reassmbled/stonger one with then it's no longer her playset, it's the custom built playset daddy built

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 11:09 PM
and remember, once you rig a reassmbled/stonger one with then it's no longer her playset, it's the custom built playset daddy built

Excellent point.

Of course, model 2.0 will be grossly over-engineered.

pb4ou
5/4/2007, 12:31 AM
Happy Birthday Slick.

BajaOklahoma
5/4/2007, 01:01 AM
A belated Happy Birthday, Slick.

I had to take a detour to get out of our neighborhood Thursday morning - a power pole was leaning at a 45 degree angle over the main road to exit the area. Some idiot put the cones up just in front of the pole instead of far enough back we could actually turn.
Lots of downed trees in the area. We lost two branches. Regualr visits from the Arborist pay off, not that you can get one scheduled in the next 3 months. (They were running 6 weeks out before the storm)

I think you are secretly happy to have an excuse to build it again.

soonerboomer93
5/4/2007, 01:05 AM
Excellent point.

Of course, model 2.0 will be grossly over-engineered.

sometimes, better grossly over-engineered then grossly under-engineered

Hamhock
5/4/2007, 08:21 AM
might i recommend putting a couple of stakes at the swingset end?

1stTimeCaller
5/4/2007, 10:25 AM
why do you have an anemometer at your house?

slickdawg
5/4/2007, 10:34 AM
might i recommend putting a couple of stakes at the swingset end?

Sure, but the will be anchored in 3' of concrete.

slickdawg
5/4/2007, 10:35 AM
why do you have an anemometer at your house?

because I am an extreme weather geek.