PDA

View Full Version : O-State vs. Sand Aggy in Dallas?

Octavian
5/2/2007, 06:02 PM
Texas Tech and Okie State are close to an agreement to bring their football rivalry to the Cotton Bowl on an annual basis.

This would a great move by the Red Raiders and Pokes. Both programs need to get their fair share of recruits from the Dallas area to have a chance to compete with the Big 12 big boys, and this would be a tremendous step in that direction.

The game won't get Texas-OU kind of love, but it will get major play in our paper and on the local TV stations. It will also allow recruits to get a feel for the Tech/Okie State programs without making four- or five-hour trips.

Tech had been trying for some time to get A&M to agree to this kind of deal. This is a case of the Aggies (who, by the way, are also scrapping to try to compete with the Big 12 big boys) being a bit too big for their own britches.

DMN blog (http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/2007/05/tech_vs_okie_st_at_the_cotton_bowl.html)

SoonerMooner
5/2/2007, 06:16 PM
They should re-open the Sportatorium and let them play there. It could hold their fans.

auto
5/2/2007, 06:24 PM
shiaaaat aggy lite can't even find away to fill their own stadium, you think they are going to travel to a regular season game 4.5 hours away? Hell, they had to give away tickets to the last bowl game

OUstud
5/2/2007, 06:34 PM
I thought they already tried that in the 90s?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/2/2007, 06:46 PM
There's a series that will last but one game.

auto
5/2/2007, 06:56 PM
Country mouse coming to Big City:P

Octavian
5/2/2007, 07:17 PM
...I hear they have a horse now too, so hopefully, we'll feel right at home."

-Mike Leach, when asked about Oklahoma State --2002

bluedogok
5/2/2007, 07:33 PM
I thought they already tried that in the 90s?
Yeah, didn't they play one at Texas Stadium back then?

goingoneight
5/2/2007, 07:43 PM
Everyone is talking about getting a "rivalry" together to keep the Cotton Bowl alive and to help their recruiting in DFW. Sadly, neither OU nor Texas fully understands the concept. It is sad they even mention moving the RRS. I can't see how aggy and sand aggy would fill up even a half a side of the cotton bowl. Their fans altogether would probably be like the red or burnt-orange halves of the stadium if they were forced to stay in one endzone.

KC//CRIMSON
5/2/2007, 07:44 PM
they have a rivalry? who knew?

bixby28
5/2/2007, 07:45 PM

I had the same reaction. Who in the heck would show for the game ?

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 08:14 AM
sheeezus aggy, could you copy more of what other people do?

How's about you try coming up with a few original things...you know, like your cattle gate opening, that's original. Demeaning and sad, but original.

picasso
5/3/2007, 08:55 AM
gay!

OSUFAN11
5/3/2007, 09:18 AM
FYI, OSU fans dont like the idea about this either. We all think it is stupid and it does not really make any sense.

picasso
5/3/2007, 09:23 AM
it actually could help oSu since you haven't had much success in Lubbsuck.

Doged
5/3/2007, 11:29 AM
I don't really care where aggie wars are held. I hope they don't try to mess with the Grambling-Prairieview game, though. I enjoy the "Battle of the Bands" they have downtown for that one.

As to recruiting, sure, both schools would likely pick up some metro players but I seriously don't see them getting any significant gains over OU or UT in the area.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/3/2007, 11:55 AM
Hell, just schedule the game before the renovations begin. the Sand Aggies will demo the seats for free...;)

Doged
5/3/2007, 12:51 PM
FYI, OSU fans dont like the idea about this either. We all think it is stupid and it does not really make any sense.

The aggot chiming in made me curious, so I took a look.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=181#S=181&F=2336&T=445822

There's some REALLY funny stuff posted in that thread.

Luthor
5/3/2007, 02:12 PM
I was hoping for a big national venue for the aggsy/sand aggy tilt. The whole country has got to wittness the white-knuckle action of red raiders charging around the stadium targeting aggsy anus with a greased up goal post.

The play by play from Musburger would be electrifying. "Wow Bob, look at the reach on that move by Tech. That's gotta be 12 rows up, don't you think?"

JDawg2303
5/3/2007, 04:16 PM
One of the reasons why the RRS is so big now is because OU and ut constantly are a threat in the BCS picture and play every year so it's a juggernaut matchup even if one is having an off year. There's still a chance an upset can occur, not to mention that OU and ut are storied programs. If Tech and State want a rivalry, then they need to try to compete for more than a Cotton Bowl game in January to have a good year. This is going to be doomed from the beginning if they try to xerox OU and ut.

htownsooner7
5/3/2007, 05:53 PM
Nothing will demonstrate how little brother these programs are than if they do this. The stories down the road will consist of..

Well I remember going to the game in 2010. It was huge.. We were 2-3 and they were 3-2. Nearly 35000 showed for the game. It really was on the national championship and bcs radar as we ended up 7-5 and they ended up 7-5. What a classic!!

5/3/2007, 06:01 PM
One of the reasons why the RRS is so big now is because OU and ut constantly are a threat in the BCS picture and play every year so it's a juggernaut matchup even if one is having an off year. There's still a chance an upset can occur, not to mention that OU and ut are storied programs. If Tech and State want a rivalry, then they need to try to compete for more than a Cotton Bowl game in January to have a good year. This is going to be doomed from the beginning if they try to xerox OU and ut.SSSHHHhhhhh, they need to really DO that thing.

reevie
5/3/2007, 06:58 PM
I think it would be more fitting if they played the neutral field game at Amarillo High or Guymon High. They could dub it the Panhandle Rivalry.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 07:13 PM
the nation will be gearing up for that epic tilt. maybe it will be on (one of the many) Rivalry Weekend(s).

bluedogok
5/3/2007, 09:24 PM
What about playing at Southwestern's home field in Weatherford? They might be able to fill that place.

...or maybe Erick, it is 235 miles to Lubbock and 207 miles to Stoolwater.

Cam
5/3/2007, 10:09 PM
Not I.

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 10:12 PM
What about playing at Southwestern's home field in Weatherford? They might be able to fill that place.

...or maybe Erick, it is 235 miles to Lubbock and 207 miles to Stoolwater.

I like the weatherford idea, but maybe Shamrock?

Piware
5/3/2007, 10:51 PM
I think it would be more fitting if they played the neutral field game at Amarillo High or Guymon High. They could dub it the Panhandle Rivalry.

Eddie Sutton will be driving a school bus borrowed from Ponca City High School and the LosuR band will be traveling in the finest horse trailers the equine center can come up with. Baaaa.......

goingoneight
5/3/2007, 11:06 PM
Well, putting such a boring game in Dallas does nothing. Not that the game itself couldn't be good, but what does it stand for? Fouth or fifth in the South? Scenery change is nice, I guess. No Boone's Farm, and no horseshoe-shaped endzone.

Boarder
5/3/2007, 11:24 PM
Dudes, I'm all for that idea. That'd be a fun time. Heck, if I'm down in Dallas go down to the Cotton Bowl, sit whereever, get a ticket for $5. It's a blast watching Tech pass all over osu.

You could kick back and watch everyone play "big boy". :D

Flagstaffsooner
5/3/2007, 11:33 PM
"Pitiful, just pitiful."
http://www.newprophecy.net/Buddy_Ebsen_as_Jed_Clampett.jpg

OSUAggie
5/3/2007, 11:34 PM
OSU-Tech played the first ever game in the Big XII in 1996 @ Texas Stadium. There were about 25,000 fans there. It was hotter than hell, with no ****ing breeze. Byron Hanspard went for about 3 bills in a blowout.

Having said that, in the last 5 or 6 years, OSU - Tech games have generally been a hell of a lot more exciting than OU - Texas games.

I think playing this game at the Cotton Bowl is still a bad idea because it screams little brother (whether or not it's attempting to "copy" the OU-Texas game).

King Crimson
5/3/2007, 11:45 PM
OSU-Tech played the first ever game in the Big XII in 1996 @ Texas Stadium. There were about 25,000 fans there. It was hotter than hell, with no ****ing breeze. Byron Hanspard went for about 3 bills in a blowout.

Having said that, in the last 5 or 6 years, OSU - Tech games have generally been a hell of a lot more exciting than OU - Texas games.

I think playing this game at the Cotton Bowl is still a bad idea because it screams little brother (whether or not it's attempting to "copy" the OU-Texas game).

it doesn't scream little brother, it *is* little brother.

and while you and tech may have scored 40 on each other to make "entertainment".....the winner of the OU-UT game has played in the BCS championship game 4 times in the last 6 years. with 2 NC's.

OSUAggie
5/3/2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't say the ramifications were anywhere near the level of OU-Texas, just that the game itself is generally much more entertaining.

CORNholio
5/3/2007, 11:49 PM
At least Dallas makes sense for OU/texas being the halfway point between Norman and Asstin. It's a totally random place for tortilla aggie and pumpkin aggie to play. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though.

OSUAggie
5/3/2007, 11:57 PM
At least Dallas makes sense for OU/texas being the halfway point between Norman and Asstin. It's a totally random place for tortilla aggie and pumpkin aggie to play. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though.

I wouldn't say it's random. OSU has a large alumni base in Dallas, and it's a 3 or 4 hour drive for OSU fans. It's about a 5-hour drive for most Tech fans. It's not like OSU and Arkansas are trying to meet in Houston every year.

goingoneight
5/4/2007, 12:58 AM
More entertaining than OU/TX??? Boy, you're a major N00b!!! That game is looked forward to years in advance. Not kidding man. Most people hear Oklahoma STATE/ Texas TECH, and they rise up quickly... only to sit back down and say "meh..." Middle Tennessee and North Texas have played some entertaining games before, I'm sure... but it doesn't get your blood flowing like say, the Vols/Whorns would.

picasso
5/4/2007, 08:26 AM
One of the reasons why the RRS is so big now is because OU and ut constantly are a threat in the BCS picture and play every year so it's a juggernaut matchup even if one is having an off year. There's still a chance an upset can occur, not to mention that OU and ut are storied programs. If Tech and State want a rivalry, then they need to try to compete for more than a Cotton Bowl game in January to have a good year. This is going to be doomed from the beginning if they try to xerox OU and ut.
it's always been big. one of those games when for the most part it didn't matter which team was better, it was going to be a battle.
Texas was always the one constant that gave Bud and Barry fits. as Switz always said, it was a game to gauge what kind of team he had.

picasso
5/4/2007, 08:28 AM
I didn't say the ramifications were anywhere near the level of OU-Texas, just that the game itself is generally much more entertaining.
to an Aggie.

King Crimson
5/4/2007, 08:29 AM
Freddie Akers made a career of being the only guy who could beat Barry.

JC Watts is one of the greatest players in OU history.....if he beats Texas.

Seamus
5/4/2007, 01:08 PM

Only to wee-tods who get their kicks by putting their peepees in keyholes and then get confused when the doorknobs stop working.

TexasLidig8r
5/4/2007, 01:28 PM

Unless you want to watch good, quality college football played at the highest level by two of the most storied programs in a setting that is unique, where tradition rules and the weekend transcends college football you mean.

sooner94
5/4/2007, 01:48 PM
Unless you want to watch good, quality college football played at the highest level by two of the most storied programs in a setting that is unique, where tradition rules and the weekend transcends college football you mean.

Now THAT hit the freaking nail on the head. Well done.

OSUAggie
5/4/2007, 01:49 PM

Well... at least by one side on their way to a 50-point victory.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/4/2007, 01:55 PM
its kinda like pee wee football compared to high school football. Pee Wee football, both teams are still struggling to comprehend how to play so they are equally bad, yet amusing to watch for the sheer comiical aspect, while high school football is actually about football. If you like football, you watch the big boys play...if you know one of the little tykes, or one is a nephew or son, then thats the only real reason to watch pee wee.

OSUAggie
5/4/2007, 01:57 PM
So OU's about like a high school team?

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/4/2007, 02:02 PM
You got it! And osu is the little tyke team on the sidelines watching the high schoolers play, dreaming of the day that they get to play HS football.

picasso
5/4/2007, 02:02 PM
So OU's about like a high school team?
so what middle school does that put oSu in?

DeadSolidPerfect
5/4/2007, 02:43 PM
The only way Pumpkin U fans understand OU/ut is take the OU/aggie rivalry x 6.5, adding 30 victories to Pumpkin's tally, and the ability for aggie to drink more that 6 Keystone Lights before passing out.

TexasLidig8r
5/4/2007, 03:34 PM
Well... at least by one side on their way to a 50-point victory.

OH.. how cute! Little Okie Lite trying to stick up for his big brother.

Now you just run along, sit at the kiddie table and let the adults talk about this. :D

Now.. remind me again.. how many times has Okie Lite defeated Texas since the advent of the Big XII? :D

King Crimson
5/4/2007, 03:41 PM

Now you just run along, sit at the kiddie table and let the adults talk about this. :D

Now.. remind me again.. how many times has Okie Lite defeated Texas since the advent of the Big XII? :D

i thought that was kind of funny too, like Sooners would rally to the cause.

Pokie didn't even get the *two* times we snapped yer *** by 50.

whoa!

OSUAggie
5/4/2007, 04:35 PM

I was kinda talking about both sides, with 50 being a relatively generic #. I would never stick up for either side.

And once, to remind you again.

Seamus
5/4/2007, 04:44 PM
so what middle school does that put oSu in?

The only middle aggot is concerned about is the middle of a goat's arse.

OSUAggie
5/4/2007, 04:45 PM
Original...

OU4LIFE
5/4/2007, 05:47 PM

I think 'advent of the Big XII' 'beginning of time' are both equally applicable here.

Seamus
5/4/2007, 06:15 PM
Original...

True.

And the classics never go out of style.

TexasLidig8r
5/7/2007, 08:35 AM
And once, to remind you again.

Pyrrhic victory (def.). 1). Defeating Texas for the only time in the history of the Big XII during John Mackovic's "tear down the goal post" tour to enable Texas to fire Mackovic and bring in Mack Brown. :D

I'm just yanking your chain Ag. ;)

5/7/2007, 11:00 AM
I was kinda talking about both sides, with 50 being a relatively generic #. I would never stick up for either side.

And once, to remind you again.Geez, ag, just when I was thinking about speck for your previous comment, you go and say the above.

Seamus
5/7/2007, 12:47 PM
I'm just yanking your chain Ag. ;)

Change "chain" to "garrote" and you'll probably earn a http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif barrage. :cool:

TheUnnamedSooner
5/10/2007, 01:32 PM
I heard on the radio here in Dallas yesterday that Jerry Jones was in Lubbock trying to get this game at his new stadium. Caught the very end of the segment so I didn't get any other details....

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2007, 01:39 PM
I heard on the radio here in Dallas yesterday that Jerry Jones was in Lubbock trying to get this game at his new stadium. Caught the very end of the segment so I didn't get any other details....

here is the article...

Cowboys' Jones wooing Tech

Miller voices displeasure after Jones sells his new stadium in Lubbock

04:53 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 9, 2007
By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones flew to Lubbock on Monday and met with Texas Tech officials to give them a sense of what the team's new stadium will look like upon its completion in 2009.

The message was clear: If Tech is going to play Oklahoma State or anyone else in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, forget the Cotton Bowl. Mr. Jones wants the game in Arlington.

Mr. Jones did not initiate specific negotiations to move any Tech home game from Jones AT&T Stadium to Arlington, athletic director Gerald Myers said. But Mr. Jones' move got Tech officials thinking, and Dallas Mayor Laura Miller is practically steaming.

"Jerry just came out here to show us the plans and show us what the project would be when it's finished," Mr. Myers said. "I'm sure we'll be talking some more. But we didn't set up any time to talk or anything else at this point."

Ms. Miller expressed disappointment Tuesday when told about the meeting. She said she met with Mr. Jones' son, Stephen, about a year and a half ago and pleaded with the team to let Dallas work on bringing games to the Cotton Bowl without the team's interference.

"I said, 'Guys, every time we talk to a school, you call the schools right behind us,' " Ms. Miller said. "I'd like them to just let us get our four weeks of college football. They said the Cotton Bowl was an old, antiquated stadium and nobody wants to play there.

"This just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of regional cooperation. We're helping them with their Super Bowl bid."

Mr. Jones was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Tech associate athletic director Craig Wells attended the meeting and said the talks were very informal. Mr. Jones showed a marketing DVD that featured a computer-generated look inside the facility. But there was no doubt as to Mr. Jones' intentions.

"He basically said, 'I kid you not, if you're going to do the Oklahoma State game, I wish you would consider doing it in Cowboys Stadium,' " Mr. Wells said.

Mr. Myers said Mr. Jones flew two former members of the Tech board of regents – Jim Sowell and Alan White – to Lubbock with him. Greg McElroy, the Cowboys' vice president of sales and marketing, also attended the meeting.

The meeting lasted about two hours. Before Mr. Jones and Mr. McElroy left town, they met briefly with Tech Chancellor Kent Hance.

The meeting in Lubbock was not planned in advance, Mr. Myers said.

On Thursday, The News reported that Dallas city leaders were close to finalizing a deal that would bring Tech and Oklahoma State to the Cotton Bowl. The Big 12 matchup would be played in conjunction with the State Fair of Texas, most likely in 2008 and 2009.

Mr. Myers indicated the story might have prompted Mr. Jones to fly to Lubbock and showcase what his stadium will offer.

"I think that probably was kind of a little incentive to come out and talk to us," Mr. Myers said. "But I don't know whether he's talked to anybody else or not. He just wants us to see what he's got and think about playing a game there."

Mr. Myers said talks about moving the Tech-OSU game have not progressed since last week.

Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said he has not met with Mr. Jones and does not have any similar meeting in the coming days.

Staff writer Dave Levinthal contributed to this report.

Boarder
5/10/2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like Mrs Miller is reaping what she sowed.

MamaMia
5/10/2007, 01:46 PM
they have a rivalry? who knew?Yeah, its been going on for years.
Its called the Red River Who Sucks Less Game. :P

By the way, Tech cant even sell their allotment when they play in Norman.

auto
5/10/2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds like Mrs Miller is reaping what she sowed.

You mean not giving a billionaire a free ride at taxpayer expense?

TheUnnamedSooner
5/10/2007, 01:58 PM
You mean not giving a billionaire a free ride at taxpayer expense?

I wouldn't call it a free ride, he offered to pay half. Plus Dallas would have benefited greatly from it.

TexasLidig8r
5/10/2007, 05:36 PM
Dear Jerry,

On behalf of Longhorn fans everywhere, thank you for assuring the Texas - OU game will remain at the venerable Cotton Bowl even after 2015.

By pandering to the afterthought schools in the Big XII South, you have done nothing but steel the resolve of the Dallas City Council to insure the Red River War will remain where it belongs.

The Dallas City Council, no matter who is mayor when negotiations among the city, Texas and Oklahoma reoccur, will remember your crawling to Lubbock and will do that which is necessary to keep THE game.

Again, thank you. Enjoy the lower rung schools playing in your cattle yard.

Love and kisses,

Longhorn Faithful

goingoneight
5/10/2007, 06:57 PM
What's Texas/OU? :confused:

PLaw
5/10/2007, 08:47 PM
Sand Aggie?? I've never heard anything more stupid. As a misplaced Okie and TTU grad, the correct term is "Pink Fader". They already have aggies in texass and they aren't in Lubbock.

Boomer
PLaw

TheUnnamedSooner
5/14/2007, 05:52 PM
Hence the word Sand.

Seamus
5/14/2007, 10:00 PM
Someone doesn't understand the nuances of what is known as SoonerFans. :twinkies:

Big Red Ron
5/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Sand Aggie?? I've never heard anything more stupid. As a misplaced Okie and TTU grad, the correct term is "Pink Fader". They already have aggies in texass and they aren't in Lubbock.

Boomer
PLaw
Newb.:O

Sooner
Big Red Ron