PDA

View Full Version : Building a website

achiro
5/2/2007, 02:20 PM
I am trying to put together a couple of websites and really would rather not bother with the whole code thing if I can avoid it. I once used a program similar to word to put a site together, but I don't remember what it was. It allowed me to import pics, links, whatever I wanted in a pretty straight forward way. Any suggestions as to some easy to use programs that I could use? Preferably free?:D

Petro-Sooner
5/2/2007, 02:26 PM
I had a fortran class once if that helps ya any.

mdklatt
5/2/2007, 02:49 PM
I am trying to put together a couple of websites and really would rather not bother with the whole code thing if I can avoid it. I once used a program similar to word to put a site together, but I don't remember what it was. It allowed me to import pics, links, whatever I wanted in a pretty straight forward way. Any suggestions as to some easy to use programs that I could use? Preferably free?:D

This cannot be said strongly enough: DO NOT USE MICROSOFT PRODUCTS TO MAKE WEB PAGES. You can use Word to do it, but you shouldn't. Front Page is Microsofts's dedicated web development tool, but it sucks. Hard. It sucks as hard than anything else that really sucks hard--if not harder. Do not use Front Page. Or Word. Or anything else Microsoft. For real.

Dreamweaver is the best web development software that I've ever used, but it's certainly not free...unless you're OU faculty, staff, student. :) Dreamweaver lets you work in text mode (typing all the markup by hand) or design mode (like using PowerPoint or Word).

You don't need special software at all. You can do everything you need to do with a text editor. I recommend doing everything by hand, even if--especially if--you're a beginner. For a simple web site, it shouldn't be too difficult. This is a great tutorial/reference web site: http://www.htmldog.com He's hung up on XHMTL, but I really like his core philosophy: X/HTML for layout, CSS for design. That is the way to go. Using tables for layout (which is many WYSIWYG editors do) is teh lose.

Whatever you do, don't use Front Page or Word. Or PowerPoint. Or anything else from Microsoft.

SoonerStud615
5/2/2007, 03:08 PM
I use Macromedia (Adobe) Dreamweaver. It's not free, but that's what I've got. I like it alot. This is my creation: unicoreok.com (http://unicoreok.com)

OUDoc
5/2/2007, 03:11 PM
Anything from Microsoft should work. ;)

achiro
5/2/2007, 03:15 PM
I actually have dreamweaver but man do I have a lot to learn!:eek:

oumartin
5/2/2007, 04:47 PM
Frontpage Rocks!

BajaOklahoma
5/2/2007, 08:13 PM
Hire a high school kid.

SoonerStud615
5/2/2007, 10:02 PM
Like me!!!!!!!!!;)

No, but seriously I'd do it.

landrun
5/3/2007, 09:01 AM
I actually have dreamweaver but man do I have a lot to learn!:eek:

Then you have all you need. Well ... that and photoshop. :)

achiro
5/3/2007, 11:38 AM
and photoshop. :)
and here is where we have a problem.:O

BigRedJed
5/3/2007, 11:45 AM
While I agree about not using FrontPage to CREATE web pages, I disagree about it being totally unusable. If you are someone who can edit HTML efficiently, and know what the code is supposed to look like, FP can be a helpful WYSIWYG editor for toggling back and forth between an HTML view and a browser view.

It's especially useful for working in framesets and viewing tables. Obviously, Dreamweaver and other products are preferable. However, if you know what you're doing, know when and where FP likes to try to change your code and avoid those situations, and don't use it to create your initial code, it can be a nice editing solution, especially if you don't have other, more expensive software available.

mxATVracer10
5/3/2007, 12:46 PM
I agree with BRJ on this one... I'm currently working on a website for a friend's DJ/karaoke bid'ness and FP is what they purchased before I came into the picture. :mad: They already had a site up that they had paid someone else to build, but they didn't like it and couldn't get them to cooperate so they told them to f off. So in I step with my web design associates degree from '03 and a horrible memory. Luckily I kept two of the books from back then instead of getting around $50 bux back on those $175 books(:mad::mad:) and they have helped me get through it. You do have to be careful with FP but once you figure out all of the extra coding crap that it throws in, you'll be good to go. :texan:

BigRedJed
5/3/2007, 01:25 PM
But seriously, anyone attempting to build a website should at least have a basic knowledge of HTML. Don't be frightened off thinking it's something difficult. BASIC page coding is not. You can teach yourself with a book or online tutorial in a day or so. You should understand the basic building blocks so that you can look at your code and understand where something went awry. Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors can add BS code and gunge things up every bit as much as FP can, if you do the wrong thing.

Even if you're building a really simple website, spend a little bit of time learning the basics of how HTML works. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

mdklatt
5/3/2007, 11:58 PM
While I agree about not using FrontPage to CREATE web pages, I disagree about it being totally unusable. If you are someone who can edit HTML efficiently, and know what the code is supposed to look like, FP can be a helpful WYSIWYG editor for toggling back and forth between an HTML view and a browser view.

Excellent point.

It's especially useful for working in framesets and viewing tables.

Framesets are now widely considered A Bad Thing. Even if done with due diligence (which isn't very often), they create some fundamental usability problems. Bookmarking, for example.

Zbird
5/3/2007, 11:58 PM

Seems like on the old low/no cost software thread someone suggested first page.

BigRedJed
5/4/2007, 01:52 PM
...Framesets are now widely considered A Bad Thing. Even if done with due diligence (which isn't very often), they create some fundamental usability problems. Bookmarking, for example.
I agree. I hate them, as a user and as a developer. Sometimes you're stuck editing a site that utilizes them, though. :mad: