PDA

View Full Version : I have a cabinet hardware problem

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 11:45 AM
I'm paying this business $1800.00 to build a few additional upper and lower kitchen cabinets to match my other cabinets. Both the upper and lower are standard height and width and only measure 6 ft. 5 in. across. I'm paying separately for the counter top because I'm replacing the entire kitchen counter tops with granite. I don't know much about the price of cabinets but I thought that was a fair price to have them take care of the whole process since A) I don't know how to make cabinets and B) so I could concentrate on my own list of To Dos.

He just put me in charge of finding the hardware to match. I don't the first thing about hardware shopping. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look. I'm going to have to take off from work, which isn't going to go over very well with the hubby and my mother in law since I'm already behind in getting the monthly statements out and filing this weeks claims.

I think I'm going to cry. :(

PhxSooner
5/2/2007, 11:51 AM
Hardware for the knobs and pulls on the cabinets? Or hardware for the hinges and stuff?

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 11:52 AM
I think she wants the new hinges and pulls to match the existing stuff.

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 11:55 AM
Ask him where he'd shop if he were in chage of getting the hardware. Start there.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 11:55 AM
Hardware for the knobs and pulls on the cabinets? Or hardware for the hinges and stuff?
He told me to find the matching hinges, the knobs and back plates for the doors, plus the pulls and back plates for the drawers.

And yes, they have to match or else we will have to replace a lot of others which could be a big problem because of the wood finish.

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 11:57 AM
And I think $1800 sounds kinda high for 13 feet of cabinets. But I don't know what kind of wood you are using, or how much of that is for hardware.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 12:01 PM
And I think $1800 sounds kinda high for 13 feet of cabinets. But I don't know what kind of wood you are using, or how much of that is for hardware.
The front of the cabinets and drawers are ash and the insides are what he said all cabinets are made of. I forgot. Hes making me pay extra for the hardware.

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 12:05 PM
You might consider mowing other people's lawns, as well as your own. ;)

jk the sooner fan
5/2/2007, 12:09 PM
funny you ask this, the knobs and pulls were the hardest thing mrs jk and i had to find, we just couldnt seem to agree on one

we found one at lowes that we had to special order, and they look great....you just have to go look at the model kitchens at places like lowes, home depot, expo, great indoors, etc - also, look in the magazines on kitchen remodeling to get ideas

once you get an idea what you want, just go start looking - eventually you'll find it

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.louisandcompany.com

That's where most of the distributors (that aren't big boxes) will buy their stock of hinges and drawer guides and things of that nature.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.louisandcompany.com

That's where most of the distributors (that aren't big boxes) will buy their stock of hinges and drawer guides and things of that nature.
I would have to take Hardware 101 to even be able to understand all that.

I was maintaining pretty well. At this very moment I am officially on the verge of a panic attack.

jk the sooner fan
5/2/2007, 12:51 PM
mama - here's the thing, you can function in your kitchen without knobs and pulls......granted its more of a pain, but its the one thing you dont have to rush on

so take your time, figure out what you think you like and go from there

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 12:51 PM
All right...

Hinges - Hidden, exposed, self-closing, etc... What'dya got?
Knobs and Pulls - Good luck, but what do they look like?

OUDoc
5/2/2007, 12:55 PM
What jk said. It can wait, and they can always be changed.

sanantoniosooner
5/2/2007, 01:07 PM
Mom, whatever style of hinge your old cabinets have you should probably stick with. You can change to a new finish type though. Like going from antique brass to satin nickel, or some other change. If it's the same style of hinge, it wont be a problem with the finish.

Once you pick out the hinges you can think about knobs/handles, but it's not a rush unless you don't think you can install yourself and need the contractor to do it.

I can give you some tips to doing it by yourself though that will make it easier.

And the aggies is right about Louis and Co. I'm not sure if they will sell to just anybody, but if you can buy there, you might save between 30 and 50%

Boomer.....
5/2/2007, 01:08 PM
Lowes has a good selection also.

sanantoniosooner
5/2/2007, 01:12 PM
If I found something at Lowes, I would then shop around to find it cheaper.

Same goes for Home Depot. You wouldn't believe the markup.

I buy full extension drawer guides for almost half of what Lowes and HD charges. If you're willing to buy in a box of 10.

OSUAggie
5/2/2007, 01:13 PM

Lowe's is the mother ****ing devil. As is the Depot.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 08:24 PM
Okay. I went to the gentleman who made my original cabinets, however many decades ago. As it turns out, he does the ordering for a hardware store here in town now and he steered me in the right direction. I now have a sack full of hardware that matches the original.

Now I have new and bigger problems. The air vent has to be moved over so it wont be under the new cabinets, which will require the heating and air guy and then the tile guy, so I have to call them tomorrow.

Then, one of the granite places I visited in Enid just told me that they wont remove the old counter top to install the new one. The lady across the street hired a company out of Tulsa who can get my Typhoon Gold and they also do the counter top removal, but they are booked up until October. So now I have to either find a counter top remover here in town for a reasonable price, or hire a company in Oklahoma City who has Typhoon Gold granite in the city who will do it all for about the same price as the place in Enid. I wanted to do business with the guy in Enid because hes a former RufNek, but if he cant come down on his price to accommodate the cost of tearing the 8 foot counter top out I will have no choice but to shop around. ~sigh~

You guys are the best for helping me. If I didn't have you all to talk with about all this remodeling stuff, Lord knows...I may have just given up.

SleestakSooner
5/2/2007, 08:34 PM
kitchen hardware (http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/?referer=adwords&gclid=CPvCgtHr8IsCFQlQWAodMVLsVQ)

enjoy the many choices :p
(http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/Kitchen Hardware)

jk the sooner fan
5/2/2007, 08:34 PM
mama, you should be able to find a kitchen contractor that can do that pretty easy

go to the website servicemagic.com - see if they operate where you live - its a GREAT service, you put in what job you want and they find contractors to match the job who will come out and bid on it

OUDoc
5/2/2007, 09:04 PM
You could bust out the old cabinet tops yourself.

sanantoniosooner
5/2/2007, 09:10 PM
Now I have new and bigger problems. The air vent has to be moved over so it wont be under the new cabinets, which will require the heating and air guy and then the tile guy, so I have to call them tomorrow.

That's the really involved way fixing it.

You can cut a hole in the toe kick plate of the cabinet and the air will come out there. You just put a small grill over it.

contractors used to do this all the time.

If this sounds like an option you might consider I can give you more detail.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 10:08 PM
That's the really involved way fixing it.

You can cut a hole in the toe kick plate of the cabinet and the air will come out there. You just put a small grill over it.

contractors used to do this all the time.

If this sounds like an option you might consider I can give you more detail.
That was suggested but we're changing the heating and air from floor vents to above vents once we can afford to move the garage forward and build the laundry room, seperate dining and my future mini office behind it. The present laundry room will eventually be my private bathroom, once I mow enough lawns. ;) Now you all know why my bathroom is so costly. :D

sanantoniosooner
5/2/2007, 10:12 PM
Are you moving the vent in the floor to another spot in the floor?

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 10:14 PM
You could bust out the old cabinet tops yourself.
That would be my approach. Too bad I added a tile backsplash a few years ago. I hope mom doesn't have anything like that.

MamaMia
5/2/2007, 10:27 PM
Are you moving the vent in the floor to another spot in the floor?
Yes. Oh, I forgot to tell you. That tile will be replaced after the new duct work is done. Thats last on the list though. :)

That one vent is all I have in the kitchen so they'll position it in a way that I will get plenty of heat and air.

TopDaugIn2000
5/2/2007, 10:34 PM
is this your pathetic way of backing out of the banana bread competition????
:P :D :P

sanantoniosooner
5/2/2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't move it in the floor for temporary use. Thats a lot of work for something that will require more work to patch when you abandon it.

If you just put a small vent cover over a hole in the kick plate then you don't have a problem when you abandon it.

Do you have a slab foundation?

TopDaugIn2000
5/2/2007, 10:36 PM
If I found something at Lowes, I would then shop around to find it cheaper.

Same goes for Home Depot. You wouldn't believe the markup.

I buy full extension drawer guides for almost half of what Lowes and HD charges. If you're willing to buy in a box of 10.

word. I picked out a SIMPLE brushed nickel knob for my kitchen & bathrooms at Lowe's. they were over $4 each. My step-dad found pretty much the exact same knob at a little cabinet place in Fort Smith for me for $1.15 each. Considering I needed 45 of em, that made quite a bit of difference!

RacerX
5/2/2007, 10:42 PM
Buy a new house.

YWIA.

And I second the recommendation of

http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/

sooner_born_1960
5/2/2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.enonhall.com/images/10172006/toekick_vent.jpg
something like this, with a louvered vent over it.

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't move it in the floor for temporary use. Thats a lot of work for something that will require more work to patch when you abandon it.

If you just put a small vent cover over a hole in the kick plate then you don't have a problem when you abandon it.

Do you have a slab foundation? No, its wood with a crawl space. The heating and air fellows came at 6:30. It was the only way they could fit me in. I had coffee, juice and breakfast burritos for them.

They even brought a block of wood and patched the old vent place from the bottom and the top, so now all I have to do is fix the tile and then the cabinet maker can finish installing my $170.00 a linear foot cabinets. He had to raise his price yesterday because he said the ash was more expensive than he thought. I may even mix the tile adhesive myself. I watched the tile guys do it when I had the carpet replaced with tile in the living area. You just add water, stir and put it on with a cake froster.

Buy a new house.

YWIA.
RacerX, actually we were only planning on living here for 5 or 6 years until the X-Ray equipment at the clinic was paid. The payment on that is $2500.00 a month. Well, my little dog Sherlock passed away and is buried in the corner of my back yard. This is the 3rd place he lived but he loved it here. Hes only the second dog I ever had and the first one to pass away, so it was real hard on me. Putting flowers on his grave is very comforting for me. I could never leave.

I like all my neighbors, except the tubular vine people next door, but whats really special is that my church and the clinic are both within walking distance from my home and I can hear the church bells ring every single day whether I'm at work or at home. :)

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 08:22 AM
is this your pathetic way of backing out of the banana bread competition????
:P :D :P
Pathetic?! I don't have to campaign for my banana bread. It stands in glory on its own, and lest we forget that it was you who refused to send your banana bread to Dean, who offered to be the judge, not I, you chair hussy. ;)

sanantoniosooner
5/3/2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.enonhall.com/images/10172006/toekick_vent.jpg
something like this, with a louvered vent over it.
Exactly what I was talking about.

Mom, tiling over wood floors isn't the most solid situation you could hope for. If you throw an "after the fact" patch in later, it makes the situation a little worse IMO.

I'm not trying to get all up in your business. I'm just telling you what I would be suggesting if I was doing the job for you, or if it was my own house. Whatever you choose to do now sounds like a temporary solution anyway. I'd take the easiest, cheapest solution especially because it doesn't create more work for you down the road.

Sounds a little late to be discussing it though.

TopDaugIn2000
5/3/2007, 08:29 AM
Pathetic?! I don't have to campaign for my banana bread. It stands in glory on its own, and lest we forget that it was you who refused to send your banana bread to Dean, who offered to be the judge, not I, you chair hussy. ;)

I liked your original post better :P

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 09:03 AM
I liked your original post better :PYour location should be on the sex chair instead of under the sea. :P

picasso
5/3/2007, 09:09 AM
what you need to do is look at some fine home type magazines. those are chock full of good ideas for color schemes. figure out the color the cabinets, walls and floor will be and then decide your color for hardware.

then start picking your fav's.

or, just watch HGTV.:)

MamaMia
5/3/2007, 10:22 AM
what you need to do is look at some fine home type magazines. those are chock full of good ideas for color schemes. figure out the color the cabinets, walls and floor will be and then decide your color for hardware.

then start picking your fav's.

or, just watch HGTV.:)
Thats a good idea. I'll do that before I begin the other projects.

Thanks everyone. I found the hardware. Its antique brass, and the floor is almost ready. The cabinet maker will be back to finish the job on Tuesday.

The cabinet's are stained with both pecan and walnut. I picked out Gold Typhoon granite. I looked at it at two different granite yards and even though its two different dealers, the slab pretty much looks identical. Here is a photo of the granite...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/tmpphp2rZ4rn.jpg