PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Purchasisng Philosophy

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 10:05 AM
All the furniture I have accumulated to this point in my life is used, and very inexpensive. I have spent less than $50 dollars in furniture total, buy getting hand me downs from my family(which was likely bought cheap at an auction) My bed and dressers are all at least 40 years old. I have decided to stick with this philosophy because I don't see the point in spending a bunch of money on furniture. Maybe I will buy something new if I can get a really good deal on it, but that is about it. Anybody else have this type of philosophy?

OSUAggie
5/1/2007, 10:10 AM
Bedroom sets = Antique heirlooms.
Living spaces = New ****.
Kitchen = Antique shop findings.

stoopified
5/1/2007, 10:15 AM
My furniture buying policy is simple:Don't buy from those gerbil humping crooks at Mathis Brothers.

skycat
5/1/2007, 10:41 AM
As a single guy you have the right philosophy.

Because you'll have to throw it all out when you get married anyway. You might as well keep your investment low.

NormanPride
5/1/2007, 10:46 AM
As a single guy you have the right philosophy.

Because you'll have to throw it all out when you get married anyway. You might as well keep your investment low.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Tailwind
5/1/2007, 11:11 AM
Not necessarily. Old stuff, if well made will last practically forever, and you cqn refinish it to look new. The stuff they make nowdays is made to fall apart quickly so you have to buy more.

MamaMia
5/1/2007, 11:51 AM
Unless its an antique piece that either has no upholstery or a piece I plan to replace the upholstery on, I buy new. You never know what happened on someone else's upholstery and its very difficult to thoroughly clean upholsteries.

There is a lot of high quality new furniture out there. You just have to take your time and do your homework.

OUDoc
5/1/2007, 12:19 PM
It depends. As a single guy, my parents gave me all their old furniture. Until about 6-7 years ago, it's what I still had. Now we've been buying new stuff as we need it. My dresser and night table are Lane pieces probably from the late '60's/early '70's and I've had them since college (mid/late '80's).

Frozen Sooner
5/1/2007, 12:20 PM
Unless its an antique piece that either has no upholstery or a piece I plan to replace the upholstery on, I buy new. You never know what happened on someone else's upholstery and its very difficult to thoroughly clean upholsteries.

There is a lot of high quality new furniture out there. You just have to take your time and do your homework.

Exactly. The assumption on used furniture is that someone else's naked buttcheeks have been pressed on it at least once.

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 12:22 PM
Exactly. The assumption on used furniture is that someone else's naked buttcheeks have been pressed on it at least once.
Oddly enough that doesn't bother me.

Frozen Sooner
5/1/2007, 12:23 PM

Wanna buy some used furniture?

OUDoc
5/1/2007, 12:23 PM
What if it had been Dean's couch? :eek:

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 12:34 PM
Wanna buy some used furniture?
give me about a month.

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 12:35 PM
What if it had been Dean's couch? :eek:
*** is *** in my book.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2007, 01:27 PM
Quick question before I vote...

Are you married or do you intend to marry soon?

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2007, 01:57 PM
I wish Youtube would have been around in the 80's.

Somewhere there's a vhs tape of my dad throwing me batting practice when I was 13 or 14.

I wasn't taking his coaching advice so he ended up throwing right behind my head.

I have to admit, I became more coachable.

was this for this thread or the hockey tread?

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 02:10 PM
Quick question before I vote...

Are you married or do you intend to marry soon?
No, and not unless something unexpected happens. I plan on devoting most of my financial resources towards building a farm for the next few years.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2007, 02:19 PM
No, and not unless something unexpected happens. I plan on devoting most of my financial resources towards building a farm for the next few years.

Then go the cheap route my friend...

That farm will be worth more than anything you could buy today, and you will feel better with the farm than some seating. That all could change if you look to marry. My wife is "happy" with our old furniture, but she doesn't want to entertain at home, not at least until we get all new furniture and stuff...

skycat
5/1/2007, 02:27 PM
:mad: :mad:

Mjcpr
5/1/2007, 02:30 PM
I'd say Carrie Underwood.

r5TPsooner
5/1/2007, 03:28 PM
The wife handles that stuff. My only request is leather as it's easier to clean.

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2007, 04:24 PM
build him a cake for his 60th birthday