PDA

View Full Version : computer software guys, help me out

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/1/2007, 09:33 AM
just bought a laptop with windows vista on it. i was trying to install my copy of windows xp on it and it wouldn't let me due to xp was an earlier version and it conflicted with security on the laptop. is there a way around this?

thanks in advance.

Hamhock
5/1/2007, 09:47 AM
i just ordered a new desktop for home from dell and they would only put Vista on it. is it any good? am i screwed?

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/1/2007, 09:50 AM
i was told that it was somewhat unstable. i'm just used to xp and would like to have it on my laptop instead, but it's not on the list when you click on "add/remove software" option. i don't know how to uninstall it. it seems like it won't give you that option from what i can see.

sooner_born_1960
5/1/2007, 09:51 AM
did you format the hard drive first?

sooner_born_1960
5/1/2007, 09:52 AM
You can't remove the whole operating system in add/remove programs.

Ruuuuuufus
5/1/2007, 09:56 AM
yeah if you want a clean wipe and you have the full copy of windows xp you can just reformat and start from there. If your laptop came with Vista pre-installed you shouldn't be seeing many driver problems though.

If you're hellbent on keeping XP I would put it on a different partition until you need the space.

NormanPride
5/1/2007, 10:00 AM
Boot off the XP CD and try it from there. It should give you the option of starting over.

sooner_born_1960
5/1/2007, 10:02 AM
As cheap as hard drives are, you might consider putting a new drive in. That way you've still got the factory vista, just in case.

OUinFLA
5/1/2007, 10:11 AM
I prefer XP over Vista.
The new security standards are a bit much for the home user.

stonecoldsoonerfan
5/1/2007, 10:17 AM
Boot off the XP CD and try it from there. It should give you the option of starting over.

if i do this, will it mess up other things like the drivers, etc.? also, how exactly is this done?

crawfish
5/1/2007, 10:25 AM
Note that you'll likely need XP Pro to do a full install, and you'll have trouble if you're using an OEM version.

I've hated Vista so far. Haven't found a single, compelling reason yet to upgrade.

Hamhock
5/1/2007, 10:28 AM
I've hated Vista so far. .

any specifics?

crawfish
5/1/2007, 10:31 AM
any specifics?

Constant security nagging. Inability to use some legacy software. Especially games.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but it's fought me at every turn.

NormanPride
5/1/2007, 10:32 AM
if i do this, will it mess up other things like the drivers, etc.? also, how exactly is this done?

Actually, drivers are usually better for XP from what I've heard. Now, if you've got anything that says "Only for use with Windows Vista" then there's a problem. But I don't know if there's anything like that even out yet.

Put the CD in the main CD tray (if you have more than one) and turn on the power. There should be a notice to "boot from CD drive" or something like that when the comp starts. This is before the windows logo shows up when there's all that text on the screen.

It's been awhile since I've done anything like that, so if I'm off someone please correct me.

soonerboomer93
5/1/2007, 10:33 AM
you can do a full install from an xp home or pro cd. you will need to download drivers from the manufacturers website.

you can only step forward an OS (upgrade) XP would be considers a downgrade and it won't allow so your only options is a format/full blown XP install. it is also possible the manufacturer only has vista drivers (not likely, but possible). Check on their website or pm me the model and manufacturer and I will look in the morning (my time).

I wouldn't put a new drive in necessarily, especially in a laptop. Just format the bitch by booting from the xp cd (use f12 with a dell and several others, but some may vary)