PDA

View Full Version : You guys catch the Mormon special on OETA?

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 08:28 AM
Second and final episode tonight. Last night was about the historical underpinnings of the religion. Tonight is going to be about the modern version.

Pretty compelling history. Well done, with historians from all points-of-view represented. I'll say this, the nineteenth century LDS Church was pretty "out there" man. A pure theocracy until Utah statehood in 1898.

soonerbrat
5/1/2007, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry I missed it. Would've made watching "Big Love" more interesting.

Howzit
5/1/2007, 09:07 AM
I caught part of it. It was the part about the beginnings of polygamy and how Joseph Smith introduced it into the church.

Pretty interesting.

soonerbrat
5/1/2007, 09:08 AM
A friend of mine in Utah is the son of a Polygamist..I think he has about 20 brothers and sisters.

crawfish
5/1/2007, 09:19 AM
Was this any different than the "South Park" episode?

SteelClip49
5/1/2007, 10:09 AM
I figure the only important, historical event that happened in Mormon history was BYU doing the unthinkable in 1984.

SoonerAtKU
5/1/2007, 10:22 AM
I hear they all have to wear "historical underpinnings". True?

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 10:24 AM
I hear they all have to wear "historical underpinnings". True?
I'll ask my officemate when he come back from class.

critical_phil
5/1/2007, 10:26 AM
I figure the only important, historical event that happened in Mormon history was BYU doing the unthinkable in 1984.

scoring a late TD to beat a 6-4 team?

SteelClip49
5/1/2007, 10:42 AM
not only that but finishing #1.

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 11:13 AM
I caught part of it. It was the part about the beginnings of polygamy and how Joseph Smith introduced it into the church.

Pretty interesting.

One historian dismissed the general allegation that the plural marriage revelation was a manifestation of Joe Smith's horniness. She opined that there are lot easier ways to be a horn dog than to marry a bunch of wimmens.

In fact, it is well documented from diary accounts that Brigham Young resisted for years Joe's insistence that Brigham marry more wimmens. When Brigham caved however, he jumped in with both feet.

Brigham Young had over 50 wives by the time he kicked the bucket.

LoyalFan
5/1/2007, 11:39 AM
No documentary re the Mormons is complete without the story of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I bet they'll omit it, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

LF

Boarder
5/1/2007, 11:43 AM
She opined that there are lot easier ways to be a horn dog than to marry a bunch of wimmens.

According to the Bible, though, sex out of wedlock was a no no so to have sex with multiple chickas he'd have to marry them.

MamaMia
5/1/2007, 11:46 AM
I listened to most of it while cleaning out the kitchen cabinets. I never knew they were persecuted so much. I had always thought they started in Utah. The whole Missouri connection was news to me. What was really odd however was the fact that Smith said Missouri was the place to be but it ended up being the wrong place, so it puzzles me why they listened to anything else he had to say after such a fiasco. Glenn Beck is a Mormon.

Petro-Sooner
5/1/2007, 03:39 PM
Glenn Beck is a Mormon.

Interesting.

yermom
5/1/2007, 03:45 PM

Pretty interesting.

it's not like that was some new idea though

Howzit
5/1/2007, 03:53 PM
it's not like that was some new idea though

It was a hitorical perspective on how and why it was introduced into the Mormon church.

IronSooner
5/1/2007, 04:24 PM
Have they said anything about a rerun? I'll catch it tonight, but would love to see the first part where the background gets explained.

Widescreen
5/1/2007, 04:27 PM
Did they get into the whole "American Indians are Hebrews" thing?

Oldnslo
5/1/2007, 04:31 PM
I thought you had the gold box with God's letter inside it.

Howzit
5/1/2007, 04:48 PM
I thought you had the gold box with God's letter inside it.

No! Really! The bush was burning!

:les: AND IT TALKED!!!1

;)

crawfish
5/1/2007, 05:16 PM
Brigham Young had over 50 wives by the time he kicked the bucket.

I can barely handle ONE wife.

And by "barely handle", I mean "can't".

:O

OUstudent4life
5/1/2007, 05:18 PM
No documentary re the Mormons is complete without the story of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I bet they'll omit it, however.

LF

http://www.septemberdawn.net/

John Voight? Really?

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 05:52 PM

LF

They covered it in detail. Consensus among Non-LDS historians was that Brigham ordered the murders. The Church historian opined that while Brigham didn't give the order, he had allowed a cult of personality and the Church's absolute authority over all matters to evolve into a pretty robotic reaction to external threats. After statehood, that theocratic stuff pretty much went by the wayside.

47straight
5/1/2007, 06:05 PM
Did they mention some of the jacked up laws passed by Congress to condition their statehood? Such as no official can even believe in astro-something or another?

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 06:10 PM
Did they mention some of the jacked up laws passed by Congress to condition their statehood? Such as no official can even believe in astro-something or another? No, but the did explain that these people believe God has a physical, fleshly body and still gets jiggy with His wives constantly. That's where all of our souls came from. Pretty bizarro stuff.

Anyway, according to the program, if an LDS man gets married and his wedding is solemnized or "sealed for eternity" in a temple, then someday, that couple, can get warped over to some other part of the universe and make spirit babies forever just like the God in charge of our corner of the universe is doing. No foolin'

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 06:12 PM
No, but the did explain that these people believe God has a physical, fleshly body and still gets jiggy with His wives constantly. That's where all of our souls came from. Pretty bizarro stuff.

Anyway, according to the program, if an LDS man gets married and his wedding is solemnized or "sealed for eternity" in a temple, then someday, that couple, can get warped over to some other part of the universe and make spirit babies forever just like the God in charge of our corner of the universe is doing. No foolin'
I had a discussion about that with my Mormon officemate the other day when we were talking about the discovery of an earth like planet last week. Interesting stuff.

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 06:14 PM
I had a discussion about that with my Mormon officemate the other day when we were talking about the discovery of an earth like planet last week. Interesting stuff.

I like secks as much as the next guy, but populating an entire planet for infinity would be a pretty big responsibility.;)

That's almost as wacky as the 70 virgins for each dead jihaadii story.

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 06:16 PM
I like secks as much as the next guy, but populating an entire planet for infinity would be a pretty big responsibility.;)

That's almost as wacky as the 70 virgins for each dead jihaadii story.
Adam's a pretty virile guy. I think he can handle it.

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 06:21 PM
Adam's a pretty virile guy. I think he can handle it.

NOBODY is that virile, particularly with the same woman for the last 10,000 years.

soonerhubs
5/1/2007, 06:24 PM
Good stuff. I really appreciated the balance the documentary showed. I didn't see much new stuff, but maybe that's because I've studied our religion's history since I was a youngster.

No doubt Mountain Meadows was a debacle that seems to divide folks. I wasn't there so I won't make any authoritative statement. Either way, I'm sure there were some murderous Mormons out there.

Alot of family members ask what its like living in Utah where the majority of folks are LDS. I tell them the state has the same problems as other places it's just that the thugs, criminal element, and vices are predominantly LDS. Just as the majority of criminals in Iran are Muslim.

royalfan5
5/1/2007, 06:29 PM
NOBODY is that virile, particularly with the same woman for the last 10,000 years.
I'm sure there are drugs that can help with that for the last 9000 though.

OKC-SLC
5/1/2007, 08:41 PM
Alot of family members ask what its like living in Utah where the majority of folks are LDS. I tell them the state has the same problems as other places it's just that the thugs, criminal element, and vices are predominantly LDS. Just as the majority of criminals in Iran are Muslim.
I'm not LDS, and I had a lot of people ask my wife and me about our three years we lived there. I'd agree totally with your statement.

OUAndy1807
5/1/2007, 10:02 PM
anyone interested in the history of the LDS should read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Krakauer

StanOU
5/1/2007, 10:16 PM
One true Church?

http://www.exmormon.org

47straight
5/1/2007, 10:18 PM
No, but the did explain that these people believe God has a physical, fleshly body and still gets jiggy with His wives constantly. That's where all of our souls came from. Pretty bizarro stuff.

Found it. Davis v. Beason. The Idaho Territory (through congressional laws) required an oath that in order to vote the person swear that they do not practice or advocate celestial marriage (or polygamy) as a religious duty, nor belong to an organization that does. The court found these prohibitions acceptable.

The narrowest definition ever expressed for freedom of religion, and from the same court that first dug up a private letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists.

Boarder
5/1/2007, 10:30 PM
I watched the last 1/4 tonight. I think it was done nicely and matter of factly. Kind of what you'd expect from PBS. It was kind of refreshing to watch a documentary that wasn't all hype and craziness.

I am going to try to watch the rest on Tivo.

IronSooner
5/1/2007, 10:45 PM
I watched the last 1/4 tonight. I think it was done nicely and matter of factly. Kind of what you'd expect from PBS. It was kind of refreshing to watch a documentary that wasn't all hype and craziness.

I am going to try to watch the rest on Tivo.

Kinda what I was thinking. No obvious slant or propaganda. I knew a lot of the stuff they presented tonight but would be curious to see the first part. They mentioned at the end that you could watch the whole thing on their website, so I may do that soon.