PDA

View Full Version : nicotine substitutes

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:08 PM
i decided to quite smoking last wednesday. made it to friday with out any. then tried some of that gum, and it just made me feel sick. anyone been in the same boat? what seemed to work for anyone else?

Blue
4/30/2007, 11:09 PM
I've heard the shots work. I'll be trying them soon.

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:10 PM
how much are the shots?

royalfan5
4/30/2007, 11:10 PM
I would inject heroin between my toes, but I don't know if that works for everyone.

sooneron
4/30/2007, 11:11 PM
Use straws or something else to take away the hand to mouth habit. Change up your routine, I bet in the old days, it was buy a coffee jump in the car and light one up. Make the coffee at home and drink then get in the car after you've finished it. You have to change all your routines. Stop drinking for a week or so. Going out will NOT help.

Blue
4/30/2007, 11:11 PM
how much are the shots?

I think like 500 bucks.

GottaHavePride
4/30/2007, 11:12 PM
If you made i wednesday to friday ok without the gum, you don't need any help. Just make sure you have something to divert your attention when a craving hits, like a regular piece of gum or a hard candy or something.

My granddad either smoked or chewed most of his life, and one day he just up and decided he wasn't going to do it anymore. Never looked back.

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:12 PM
screw that. i can go through the withdrawls and just be a jerk and **** people off before i drop 500 bucks

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:13 PM
If you made i wednesday to friday ok without the gum, you don't need any help. Just make sure you have something to divert your attention when a craving hits, like a regular piece of gum or a hard candy or something.

My granddad either smoked or chewed most of his life, and one day he just up and decided he wasn't going to do it anymore. Never looked back.

yeah i've been carrying big red everywhere i go

Blue
4/30/2007, 11:16 PM
screw that. i can go through the withdrawls and just be a jerk and **** people off before i drop 500 bucks

That white knuckling only gets you so far.

sooneron
4/30/2007, 11:17 PM
How long have you been smoking?

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:19 PM
dipped 3 years then smoked for 2

Blue
4/30/2007, 11:23 PM
13 years for me and the problem is I love it. People tell me its disgusting, yet I don't care. I know I have to quit, but I won't right now.

sooneron
4/30/2007, 11:24 PM
dipped 3 years then smoked for 2
Short timer, you'll be fine with some will power. Just think about how you want to be the man of his own destiny and under the power of nothing!:texan:

rufnek05
4/30/2007, 11:25 PM
my biggest problem is that i'm use to smoking right after i eat, and when i'm drinking. and the more i drink, the more i smoke. and with finals coming up the added stressing killin me

sooneron
4/30/2007, 11:26 PM
13 years for me and the problem is I love it. People tell me its disgusting, yet I don't care. I know I have to quit, but I won't right now.
Been there, done that. Now look at your teeth and smell you clothes.:texan:

Suerreal
4/30/2007, 11:46 PM
There are three main factors that keep smoking when they would like to quit.

1, Nicotine withdrawal. If you have abstained since Wednesday, this part is over. 72 hours and your body is completely withdrawn from nicotine. Repeat: this part is over.

If you haven't completely abstained, it is lessened, but not over yet. I would suggest trying the lowest strength nicotine patches at this point.

2. Psychological - Smokers/dippers learn over the years, to associate smoking/dipping with relaxation. Physiologically, nicotine is just as relaxing as adrenaline - it cross-reacts with adrenaline receptors and raises your heart rate, blood pressure, dilates your pupils - it does all the things adrenaline does.

The relaxation comes from the deep breathing/inhalation, and the ritual surrounding the smoking behavior, and the excuse to walk away from just about anything to go smoke.

You can take non-smoking breaks too, you know. Find something to occupy your mind for 5 minutes or so, preferably something that gets you away from wherever you are at the moment.

3. Habit - what other behaviors do you do when you light up? post-meal? change your routine to go for a ten minute walk instead of sitting around the table. Telephone? Set up a doodle pad. Try to come up with a plan to do something else instead of smoking for each associated behavior.

I don't recommend playing Sudoku while driving, however...

Some people do find that drinking is the most problematic, and give up drinking for a month or so until the new behavior patterns are established.

I wish you all the luck you need to kick the habit!

- Sue

Fraggle145
4/30/2007, 11:48 PM
Here is my suggestion. I just quit dipping in September (did since I was 12, so 14 years) and I quit cold turkey and chewed a lot of gum and toothpicks and sunflower seeds. Dont drink for a while, drinking makes it impossible. the only reason I quit was becasue I took a look at my gums and said to myself this is getting really bad.

I am like Blue, I ****ing love dipping and quitting sucks and no matter what it still sucks. It is finals week and I want a dip so bad I am salivating all the time.

I cant wait till I get my terminal disease so I can dip again.

yermom
4/30/2007, 11:55 PM
There are three main factors that keep smoking when they would like to quit.

1, Nicotine withdrawal. If you have abstained since Wednesday, this part is over. 72 hours and your body is completely withdrawn from nicotine. Repeat: this part is over.

If you haven't completely abstained, it is lessened, but not over yet. I would suggest trying the lowest strength nicotine patches at this point.

2. Psychological - Smokers/dippers learn over the years, to associate smoking/dipping with relaxation. Physiologically, nicotine is just as relaxing as adrenaline - it cross-reacts with adrenaline receptors and raises your heart rate, blood pressure, dilates your pupils - it does all the things adrenaline does.

The relaxation comes from the deep breathing/inhalation, and the ritual surrounding the smoking behavior, and the excuse to walk away from just about anything to go smoke.

You can take non-smoking breaks too, you know. Find something to occupy your mind for 5 minutes or so, preferably something that gets you away from wherever you are at the moment.

3. Habit - what other behaviors do you do when you light up? post-meal? change your routine to go for a ten minute walk instead of sitting around the table. Telephone? Set up a doodle pad. Try to come up with a plan to do something else instead of smoking for each associated behavior.

I don't recommend playing Sudoku while driving, however...

Some people do find that drinking is the most problematic, and give up drinking for a month or so until the new behavior patterns are established.

I wish you all the luck you need to kick the habit!

- Sue

i was thinking about that the other day, i mean the "smoke break" is pretty well abused, i've actually heard people say they smoke so they don't have to work as much :D

but that would also make trying to quit a bitch

olevetonahill
5/1/2007, 12:59 AM
my biggest problem is that i'm use to smoking right after i eat, and when i'm drinking. and the more i drink, the more i smoke. and with finals coming up the added stressing killin me
Its easy then just add quitin eatin and drinkin .
Your home free .;)

whatsername
5/1/2007, 06:41 AM
There's a prescription drug called Chantix available. It blocks your brain from absorbing nicotine or something like that. I have an appointment next week to talk to my doc about it. I've been smoking for 25 years and I've tried to quit several times. It's harder than hell. I applaud everyone who has managed to quit.

MamaMia
5/1/2007, 06:56 AM
Jump in the shower or in the swimming pool when you crave a cigarette. You cant smoke when you're all wet. :)

Suerreal
5/1/2007, 08:29 AM
There's a prescription drug called Chantix available. It blocks your brain from absorbing nicotine or something like that. I have an appointment next week to talk to my doc about it. I've been smoking for 25 years and I've tried to quit several times. It's harder than hell. I applaud everyone who has managed to quit.

Chantix is good - very good, in fact. But because of side effects, you have to start it at a low dose and build up to the full dose over a week. It's intended to be used for a week before your quit date.

So for the OP, who was in the midst of quitting, and possibly past the nicotine withdrawal phase, Chantix would not be helpful. For someone who wants to quit in the future, it can be very helpful.

- Sue

soonerinabilene
5/1/2007, 08:36 AM
quitting smoking is easy! ive done it at least 8 times. I actually went from smoking to dipping, so now i gotta figure out how to quit that.

jeremy885
5/1/2007, 08:36 AM
I'm been on Chantix for the last three weeks. Seems to be a good pill and I've gone down from a pack and a half to less then 10 a work day and 0 on the weekends, with little use of my willpower. As with the patch, the vivid dreams kick ***.

OUDoc
5/1/2007, 08:37 AM
I'm been on Chantix for the last three weeks. Seems to be a good pill and I've gone down from a pack and a half to less then 10 a work day and 0 on the weekends, with little use of my willpower. As with the patch, the vivid dreams kick ***.
Uummmm, you were supposed to quit by now. :)

Chantix is good stuff.

OUDoc
5/1/2007, 08:40 AM
i decided to quite smoking last wednesday. made it to friday with out any. then tried some of that gum, and it just made me feel sick. anyone been in the same boat? what seemed to work for anyone else?
The strength of the gum may have been too strong, try 1/2 piece or a lower dose, or chew it slower. Otherwise, Commit lozenges work too. The "oral" part of the gum and lozenge seem to help as well. I don't like the patches, some do though. Like I said, Chantix is greatness, but you already quit, so I don't know if it would be worth your money to try it.
Congrats, BTW. Keep up the good work.

jeremy885
5/1/2007, 09:02 AM
Uummmm, you were supposed to quit by now. :)

Chantix is good stuff.

baby steps doc, baby steps.

OUDoc
5/1/2007, 09:17 AM
baby steps doc, baby steps.
Fair enough, but that medicine is your baby step. :)
Seriously, you'll be surprised how easy it is to stop on Chantix.

rufnek05
5/1/2007, 09:42 AM
had a relaps. i just finished my physics 2 final and i had to un wind. but i only smoked half of it, but it was hard to limit my self to that. i'm bummed that i didn't even make it a week. that was my goal

Mjcpr
5/1/2007, 09:45 AM
had a relaps. i just finished my physics 2 final and i had to un wind. but i only smoked half of it, but it was hard to limit my self to that. i'm bummed that i didn't even make it a week. that was my goal
Dude, I smoked for 20+ years and quit cold turkey with no problems. You lasted 2 days after smoking for 2 years?

For most folks, you have to want to quit....maybe you don't want to quit yet. I didn't at your age.

Blue
5/1/2007, 05:50 PM
Chantix didn't work for me. The side effects were too much. Of course my body always reacts crazy to drugs.

whatsername
5/1/2007, 06:27 PM
what kind of side effects?

Blue
5/1/2007, 06:33 PM
Naseau, headaches, blurred vision, no energy, constipation, and an overall crappy feeling. I took it for two weeks and didn't lose any craving and smoked just as much.

Blue
5/1/2007, 06:34 PM
Good luck, though! :D

I really didn't want to quit. Just wanted a easy solution.

goingoneight
5/1/2007, 07:13 PM
I hear the gum is difficult to keep lit. ;)

Fraggle145
5/1/2007, 11:41 PM
Today I said **** it till finals are over... too much stress. I feel born again. ;)

whatsername
5/2/2007, 06:31 AM
Good luck, though! :D

I really didn't want to quit. Just wanted a easy solution.

Heh. Thanks. :)

Yeah, I think if you really don't want to quit, you're not going to. I question myself about that all the time. I'm such a wimp, I mostly think that I don't want to deal with the withdrawal symptoms so it's easier to keep smoking, you know?

usmc-sooner
5/2/2007, 08:37 AM
eat citrus it makes those cigarettes taste nasty.

whatsername
6/3/2007, 06:19 PM
Update!
I started taking Chantix, then 6 days later I put the cigs down. Talk about easy, wow. It's been 4 days since I quit and I still have some cravings but nothing I can't deal with. I had withdrawals for the first three days, but nothing major.

No side effects except for the vivid dreams. Good ones though, luckily. I'm seeing old friends again... haha. I dreamed that I smoked and I was PO'd that I'd have to start over. :)

opksooner
6/3/2007, 07:03 PM
I saw a very close friend, a heavy smoker, die of lung cancer 25 years ago, within 6 months of his diagnosis.

I threw my smokes away, went cold turkey. Haven't touched one since.

AggieTool
6/3/2007, 09:24 PM
On that note, most folks I know who quit smoking for good (including myself), quit cold turkey.

The patches, pills, etc just prolong the nicotine dependency.

AlbqSooner
6/4/2007, 07:04 AM
You can try what I did. Have a mild stroke and get the Commit Lozenges. Only side effect of the lozenges was occasional hiccups.

By the way, when the Doc said I had experienced a mild stroke, I told him it is only mild if it happens to someone else.