PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the "streak" before it starts (RRS)...

goingoneight
4/30/2007, 12:25 AM
This topic is bound to come up within a few weeks seeing as Spring Ball is over, we know where OUr Sooners are going after the draft... and well we got a long couple of months to argue about (stupid) stuff.

It's sad, but true... OUr I-formation offense (Chuck'n-it or K-Dubbin' it) has racked up a whopping 34 points the last three years. If we learned one thing about Texas under chizik, it was that his secondary was all hype. All-Americans, my a$$...

Outside of the PRICELESS goose-egg in 2004 Texas had to offer, we've been thoroughly pwn3d. Without the random outbursts of "wishbone" and "option," does anyone really have the slightest comprehension of how this team (provided OUr QB plays well) can do against them? They lost some OL, but their major losses were on D. Something like four defensive backs and a pair of ends, I think it was??? This defensive unit is probably going to be a season-long work in progress, IMHO.

Colt McCoy stepping up as a R-Fr was impressive in my books... didn't take :mack: long to rebuild there. He returns a lack-luster running game, so unless a new Vince Young/Ricky Bong/Ceddy Stash "threat" steps up this year, I would say not to build the defense solely around stopping a "mobile threat." That worked brilliantly to shut out Vince Young two years in a row, but then he learned how to throw the ball, and quite accurately, I might add. Granted, Vince is an old flame now for :mack:, but the 'throwing' threat is still alive and well. The National Championship receivers are still there.

I wonder, just saying that much, does this spell a basic 4-2-5 defense for OU? If we can get a good ground defense going like we did in 2006 against them, it seems the '2' would do. That is, of course unless OUr LB crew pis$es down their legs early-on like they've done the last three years. Seems to me, that while both defenses are looking to fill some major voids, Oklahoma's got an easier task and more experience, and could, at best... be a great defense by the RRS.

I watched OUr spring game over and over again, fellow Sooner Fans... and while there was some bitching to be made, you can't hate on the defense for what DeMarco did to them. Those four carries were quite amazing, and if you don't think so, watch it again. He did things we haven't seen in a long time at Oklahoma, like turning LB's around, dragging and juking Lewis Baker... cutting past Nic Harris... kid was good.

Don't believe me, watch the slow-mo... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLquCU1TZA)

Anyways, back on the defense... we all know what Allen Patrick did to the BIG 12 opponents he faced last year, and he was pretty much kept in check... so that tells me they were doing okay for now. Chris Brown had two good pickups, one off a screen (usually screens pick up good yardage) and a run that was thanks to excellent blocking. Is OUr defense hurting without RUUU and Crew, or are they adjusting to the beastly stable of healthy and talented running backs we kept throwing at them? Note: Gute was allowed next-to-nothing as well. Before I open a second chapter, I'll see what you guys think. :)

goingoneight
4/30/2007, 12:30 AM
I might add that this game to me, if it were played tomorrow, solely depends upon us having a good day at WR, or not.

illinisooner
4/30/2007, 12:42 AM
Let's not forget that Texas has alot of talent to replace their losses, so with no working knowledge of their depth chart, I'm guessing their new CGC will be all 4 or 5 star recruits with at least a redshirt year under their belt. Ditto with the D backs, even though their pass D was atrocious last year.

goingoneight
4/30/2007, 01:01 AM
Depth is usually a good thing, but remember how we were "almost triple deep at every position" coming into 2006? Mack has had his fair share of oops's and uh-oh's, too when it comes to "quality depth to replace." Some of these guys weren't Vince young, but they were a big part of Hook 'em's title run, Ross, Robinson, Crowder, and (Selvin) Young.

Vaevictis
4/30/2007, 06:33 AM
Don't believe me, watch the slow-mo... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLquCU1TZA)

What stands out to me more than Murray's moves (which are pretty danged good) is the fact that the other guys on the field were getting in good blocks and making them stick. That first clip, for example, I see four good blocks that set up that run, another one where a guy falls down at the line tripping up a pursuer, and a sixth where a guy is pushing a little bit on the side ****ing what I think is the middle linebacker's angle just enough to give Murray room.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen much of that in awhile.

After watching it again, I would also like to comment on how Murray uses his blockers -- on that 70-80 yard run, his blocker (#80, Tennell?) has a bad angle on #18 (Carter), so he cuts in, forces Carter to move in, then cuts back out once Tennell has a better angle.

TripleOption14
4/30/2007, 07:16 AM
What I remember from watching that spring game was the fact that the O was pretty good and the D had some work to do (mainly the LB's). Watching some of those plays again my feelings are that the LB's just 1. haven't had enough time to play w/ each other yet 2. they don't attack the running plays (probably because they don't recognize it soon enough or they simply don't trust themselves yet) 3. don't get off block fast enough. The good thing about all of these problems is the fact that they are EASILY fixed w/ more reps together as a group.

Long story short the LB's need to gel as a group (which they WILL do w/ time) and the D will be fine. As we saw last year; its takes some time for OUr D to learn and more importantly UNDERSTAND the scheme. But when they finally get it the D will be back to its hard hittin ways!!

BIG_IKE
4/30/2007, 07:24 AM
In all honesty, Texas defense should be better this season. They return all 6 linebackers..and will still have a very very good D-Line. On the offensive side, true the return McCoy and the Receivers...but the new QB's they have on the roster (both played Spring Ball) are sick. They seem faster than Vince too.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=00oFanQqlNg
<--jOHN cHILES tRUE fRESHMAN

/http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCXVCzaa6aU&mode=related&search=<-sHERROD hARRIS redshirt Freshman

Texas Golfer
4/30/2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gLquCU1TZA

Impressive!

I'm also happy to see the names on their backs again. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
4/30/2007, 09:46 AM
If we learned one thing about Texas under chizik, it was that his secondary was all hype. All-Americans, my a$$...

I hear ya... Preach it long and loud brother.....'ceptin' for this. Couldn't disagree more. And I think the NFL disagrees with you, too. Griffin and Ross 19th and 20th players selected... Tarrell Brown in the 5th round.

But more to your point, Texas's defensive losses are heavy. They will be replacing an entire secondary and book-end NFL draft pick defensive ends. And while their LB's are seasoned, I think I read plenty of complaints from the Tejano faithful about their quality of play. So really the only thing that D will have going for it this coming year is a deep and good defensive interior line. That is to say, you're exactly right, we better find a way to generate points this year. (Though, I feel like Wilson overall has been a tremendous upgrade over Chuck "third-and" Long.) Unless our QB's really stink up the joint, we should break that 20 point barrier this year.

How, you ask? The only thing I go back on is that with a young inexperienced qb I think you don't strictly stick him in the pocket every passing play giving him time to get uncomfortable, as it were. I think we'll see a good deal of rollouts and/or moving pockets vs. straight drop backs. And of course, we'll need to go to often and stay innovative with the running game, which I think Wilson has been excellent at.

Defensively I'm not entirely sold on our d-secondary yet. Largely because of this: If we're returning such a solid veteran secondary, why is Bobby Jack still shifting guys all over the place to find the right combo? Doesn't seem like the staff is entirely pleased with their development either. And you mentioned the LB's... It will be interesting to see if they live up to hype. With a yes, I agree we could be a great defense by the RRS. (Though I'd prefer we were a great defense by game #2 on the sched this year.. ;) )

How many days is it now?

BOOMER SOONER!

soonerboy_odanorth
4/30/2007, 09:53 AM
In all honesty, Texas defense should be better this season. They return all 6 linebackers..and will still have a very very good D-Line. On the offensive side, true the return McCoy and the Receivers...but the new QB's they have on the roster (both played Spring Ball) are sick. They seem faster than Vince too.

BI, c'mon now, you don't replace 3 NFL draft picks (2 in the first round) in your secondary, and both of your All-American quality DE's (both drafted) and expect an upgrade.

And again I've read more than a couple of complaints from the ugly orange that they weren't pleased with the LB play last year.

I think they will have a very good interior D-line. The DE's will have to prove themselves.

I'd be surprised if either of the QB's saw the field this year, unless as change-of-pace guys ala the Leak-Tebow rotation at FLA.

But I've been wrong before... (...as in most of the time. heh.)

htownsooner7
4/30/2007, 10:32 AM
As always, the whorns will have plenty of talent. I think it was Switzer who said I never walked out of that tunnel with more talent. I would like to add that I believe they lost at least 2 lineman to the draft. They took a hit, pure and simple, but they'll still be a top 5 team. We should be too. That being said...

We need a strong safety to step up. Corners and free safety should be good. LBs have a long way to go. They may be good, but still have work. I expect Reed to provide a Torrance Marshall like effect. Now, Lofton, Reynolds, Baker and Pleasant must become premier Big XII Lbs. DE seems questionable to me as well.

Offense should be loaded. I could run that offense for 25 to 35 points a game. There are stars everywhere. Patrick, Murray, Brown... Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson, Tennell, Cheney.. Joe Jon, Gresham, Eldridge... And that line will be dominant.

Don't fret about our QB situation. Whorn fans had no idea what they had in Colt last year at this time and he did extremely well surrounded by all that talent. I expect the same from OUr situation.

I expect both teams to be in the top 7 by the RRS and the spread will be low. Talent will be comparable. Who will step up? Can Stoops find the magic again?