PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to get OU to remove Suicide Bomber Memorial

OklahomaTuba
4/29/2007, 11:33 PM
Having just found out about this, It completly disgusts me.

I would like to start a campaign of OU alums, donors and supporters to contact OU officials to remove this stone from the school campus.

I will call the school tomorrow to find out the status of this, and to find out why it was put there, and why it hasn't been removed.

Thank you.

http://www.koco.com/news/13192881/detail.html

Frozen Sooner
4/29/2007, 11:46 PM
'Kay, 'cause the other one degenerated into a slanging contest and got locked, this one stays. :D

And I think I support Tuba on this one.

OklahomaTuba
4/29/2007, 11:49 PM
Thank you Mike.

My apologies to you and everyone for the earlier thread. Was my fault completly. I will let you know in the morning what I find out. Thank you again.

Frozen Sooner
4/29/2007, 11:50 PM
No problem. Apology accepted.

bri
4/29/2007, 11:58 PM
Thank GOD someone is finally doing something about this. :rolleyes:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/30/2007, 12:21 AM
'Twil be interesting to see how this goes!

bri
4/30/2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the phone has rang at OU once or twice already. Not to diminish the earth-shattering importance of Tuba's indignation, but I don't really see him making anyone give half a damn. :D

olevetonahill
4/30/2007, 12:37 AM
Ill pay a 100 bucks for it delivered to My shack . :cool:

bri
4/30/2007, 12:39 AM
Dude, get real. That's, like, a $50 loss for the University. :P

olevetonahill
4/30/2007, 12:42 AM
Dude, get real. That's, like, a $50 loss for the University. :P
I knew you were slow but ? :eek:
Ya see If I pay a 100 and tuba goes ahead an donates well hell its a gain somehow .
Plus think of the fun we can have puttin it on the ground , drinkin Beer and aiming at it . :D

bri
4/30/2007, 12:48 AM
Well, it is late. ;)

Targets do always make peeing more fun. Reminds me of one time in 9th grade basketball; we were playing a road game somewhere (I forget where) and they had little plastic targets in the locker room urinals. So we're in there at halftime, getting chewed out because we were getting pwnt, and all of a sudden one guy yells out from the restroom "BULL'S EYE!!!!"

Good times.

olevetonahill
4/30/2007, 12:54 AM
Well, it is late. ;)

Targets do always make peeing more fun. Reminds me of one time in 9th grade basketball; we were playing a road game somewhere (I forget where) and they had little plastic targets in the locker room urinals. So we're in there at halftime, getting chewed out because we were getting pwnt, and all of a sudden one guy yells out from the restroom "BULL'S EYE!!!!"

Good times.
TMI :eek:

stoopified
4/30/2007, 06:41 AM
Count me in on the petition.May not be the stupidest thing that has happened on Boren's watch But I would be hard pressed to think of stupider.

Chuck Bao
4/30/2007, 08:33 AM
Okay, here’s a counter theory. Please hear me out.

I believe that Boren said what he had to. It is over. It is not memorializing anyone or anything.

1) OU does allow “most people” to donate money and get a plaque or stone outside the student center.
2) OU also has a tradition of allowing the family of deceased students to erect a plaque or lay a stone.
3) Boren knows that if they denied this privilege without due evidence, it could be costly and a court case could ensue. $150 cost is tiny, tiny, tiny compared to the potential lawsuits and even tiny compared to the expenses already incurred.
4) It’s better for the university to pay and not bother the family. If the stone does disappear, well sorry we didn’t even notice.

Okay, neg spek me all you like. I don’t give a damn.

OUDoc
4/30/2007, 08:36 AM
Okay, Chuck, but unless I missed something new, this was OU's idea, not the family's.

Okla-homey
4/30/2007, 08:50 AM
can you have secks on it?

yermom
4/30/2007, 09:14 AM
Okay, Chuck, but unless I missed something new, this was OU's idea, not the family's.

depends on what story you read :rolleyes:

MamaMia
4/30/2007, 09:20 AM
Count me in on the petition.May not be the stupidest thing that has happened on Boren's watch But I would be hard pressed to think of stupider. Prohibition.

GottaHavePride
4/30/2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but somehow I don't really think Boren had a significant role in passing the 18th Amendment. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
4/30/2007, 09:43 AM
Is it just me, or do OU fans/alums really bitch a lot?

Boomer bitching, Boomer bithcing..........la la la la......la la la la...

MamaMia
4/30/2007, 10:06 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that whats his faces father will volunteer to have his son's stone removed just to make us all feel lousy and to keep peoples body fluids off of it.

Boomer bitching, Boomer bithcing..........la la la la......la la la la......and no, it is not just you , other OU fans bitch too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/30/2007, 11:13 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that whats his faces father will volunteer to have his son's stone removed just to make us all feel GOOD and to keep peoples body fluids off of it...As well he should.

snp
4/30/2007, 11:21 AM
Go steal it. Its a legitimate excuse to dress up like a ninja.

achiro
4/30/2007, 11:22 AM
Go steal it. Its a legitimate excuse to dress up like a ninja.
Who needs an excuse to dress up like a ninja...really!?!

snp
4/30/2007, 11:34 AM
Good point.

TUSooner
4/30/2007, 12:00 PM
Forget the public movement and media hoo-ha. Just go grab the thing, destroy it, and lose the pieces. UNofficial, but effective.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 12:23 PM
I will let you know in the morning what I find out. Thank you again.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

yermom
4/30/2007, 12:26 PM
baneage makes that kinda hard

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Did he get baned? I didn't know.

Should OU do background checks on everybody who has a paver in that area? If any of them was ever guilty of drunk driving...an illegal act that could have killed innocent people...should they not be allowed to have a "memorial"?

royalfan5
4/30/2007, 12:33 PM
So the way I understand it. Exploding guys name is going to be on a paving stone surrounded by many other paving stones with people's names on it. How many people are actually going to notice the rock at a given time? It seems like it would just blend into the background, and attract little notice on a regular basis.

yermom
4/30/2007, 12:34 PM
Did he get baned? I didn't know.

Should OU do background checks on everybody who has a paver in that area? If any of them was ever guilty of drunk driving...an illegal act that could have killed innocent people...should they not be allowed to have a "memorial"?

you can tell by the lack of the spek option for his posts ;)

i'm not sure that is really an apples to apples comparison

i can't believe OU is willing to have any kind of public acknowledgment of this guy, i mean even if he just ate a pistol in his campus apartment it just looks bad for the university

yermom
4/30/2007, 12:35 PM
So the way I understand it. Exploding guys name is going to be on a paving stone surrounded by many other paving stones with people's names on it. How many people are actually going to notice the rock at a given time? It seems like it would just blend into the background, and attract little notice on a regular basis.

except people will be looking for it now, i mean maybe if it was slipped in 10 years from now or something

royalfan5
4/30/2007, 12:37 PM
except people will be looking for it now, i mean maybe if it was slipped in 10 years from now or something
If no one had said anything to the media, would have anyone actually noticed the presence of said stone in the fall?

yermom
4/30/2007, 12:38 PM
probably... then the media would have gotten it after the fact and outrage ensues that way :D

bri
4/30/2007, 12:40 PM
Prohibition.

Yes, I could see where trying to keep easy access to alcohol from a population base with a history of poor impulse control is the worst thing ever.

Truly, something must be done k plz thx.

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 12:51 PM
Prohibition.

Exactly.

Knee. Jerk.

yermom
4/30/2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, I could see where trying to keep easy access to alcohol from a population base with a history of poor impulse control is the worst thing ever.

Truly, something must be done k plz thx.

like something magical happens at 21, or they aren't just drinking at Hornets games instead ;)

if anything, it seems like it makes it harder not to drink and drive

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 01:19 PM
you can tell by the lack of the spek option for his posts ;)

AHHH! That's why that wasn't there.

i'm not sure that is really an apples to apples comparison

There is no evidence that the dude meant to take anyone with him. It's all speculation from people in no way associated with the investigation. Drunk driving is just as likely (perhaps moreso) to produce innocent victims as going to an isolated place (even if it is near a well-populated place) and blowing yourself up. If the guy wanted to take people with him, there would've been plenty of opportunities. It's not as if the stadium is the ONLY place with a lot of people in one place on a gameday. He had many other options if a mass-murder was what he wanted.

i can't believe OU is willing to have any kind of public acknowledgment of this guy, i mean even if he just ate a pistol in his campus apartment it just looks bad for the university

I can't believe people are so up in arms about the whole thing.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 01:22 PM
Prohibition.

Did you know.......

the sororities on OU's campus have a no-alcohol policy? It's not an OU policy, it comes from their national headquarters. Are you just as upset at those national headquarters as you are at the OU administration?

yermom
4/30/2007, 01:24 PM
There is no evidence that the dude meant to take anyone with him. It's all speculation from people in no way associated with the investigation. Drunk driving is just as likely (perhaps moreso) to produce innocent victims as going to an isolated place (even if it is near a well-populated place) and blowing yourself up. If the guy wanted to take people with him, there would've been plenty of opportunities. It's not as if the stadium is the ONLY place with a lot of people in one place on a gameday. He had many other options if a mass-murder was what he wanted.

i guess that's true, but i wouldn't really want to see a drunk driver memorial either...

i'm actually in the camp of doubters on the intent to harm others bit, but at best he was doing it when and where he did for attention

Frozen Sooner
4/30/2007, 01:28 PM
Did you know.......

the sororities on OU's campus have a no-alcohol policy? It's not an OU policy, it comes from their national headquarters. Are you just as upset at those national headquarters as you are at the OU administration?

I'm pretty sure the fraternities do as well. I know our national was big on no alcohol in the house as far back as 1996 and were planning to make it the national rule by 2000.

Fraggle145
4/30/2007, 01:29 PM
Did you know.......

Nope at least cuz back in the day, when prohibition wasnt enacted, that meant they had to come to my house to drink. Its a lot easier to get them to stay when they are already there. :D

Edit: our house was a "wet" house and had no plans of ever going dry of our own accord that I know of.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 01:33 PM
i guess that's true, but i wouldn't really want to see a drunk driver memorial either...

If I thought he meant to harm others, I might think differently. But there is just no evidence, in my mind, to support the claim that he did. So my drunk driving comment is just to point out that it's a slippery slope. If you don't want this guy's family to be able to purchase a paver that anybody else can purchase, should we also disqualify people who have driven drunk? And if we take out drunk drivers...then what about people who drive recklessly while sober? It's still an illegal activity with a chance at killing innocent victims. It just goes on and on.

Now, if this "memorial" was different...and designed to bring special attention to this individual, I'd probably think differently then, too. But it's not. By all accounts, this is a paver than any ol' Joe can purchase and it was purchased like every other paver in that area.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the fraternities do as well. I know our national was big on no alcohol in the house as far back as 1996 and were planning to make it the national rule by 2000.

Yeah, I'm sure some of them do...but I don't think they all do.

It seems like a pretty logical thing to do, IMO. Liability issues and all that.

Frozen Sooner
4/30/2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm sure some of them do...but I don't think they all do.

It seems like a pretty logical thing to do, IMO. Liability issues and all that.

It does.

I'm a supporter of the Greek system and of the good things that fraternities can teach you, but the tremendous amount of alcohol abuse among 18-21 year old men on college campuses is something that has to be addressed.

1stTimeCaller
4/30/2007, 01:57 PM
If I thought he meant to harm others, I might think differently. But there is just no evidence, in my mind, to support the claim that he did. So my drunk driving comment is just to point out that it's a slippery slope. If you don't want this guy's family to be able to purchase a paver that anybody else can purchase, should we also disqualify people who have driven drunk? And if we take out drunk drivers...then what about people who drive recklessly while sober? It's still an illegal activity with a chance at killing innocent victims. It just goes on and on.

Now, if this "memorial" was different...and designed to bring special attention to this individual, I'd probably think differently then, too. But it's not. By all accounts, this is a paver than any ol' Joe can purchase and it was purchased like every other paver in that area.

I see your point and agree with you but drunk driving isn't a felony in Oklahoma. You can actually be jailed longer for a simple speeding ticket than you can for drunk driving.

With the slippery slope, if they made the rule that no convicted felons could have their name on a paver, that still wouldn't keep this kid's name off of one. Would it? I don't think it's a big deal and it will eventually go unnoticed.

IronSooner
4/30/2007, 03:52 PM
I'd initially gotten the idea that this was going to be some sort of actual memorial, like the other eye-catching types Americans love to put up for anything. I'd be solidly opposed to that unless they somehow proved some other ninja snuck in and blew this dude up without anyone knowing.

It's just a freakin' brick identical to any number of others. Last I was there they had name-stones all over that courtyard. If his family wants to put one in there for him, who cares. It's not some gaudy memorial to a guy that blew himself up. It's a brick with his name on it that blends in with the rest. I just can't get worked up about that.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 03:52 PM
I see your point and agree with you but drunk driving isn't a felony in Oklahoma. You can actually be jailed longer for a simple speeding ticket than you can for drunk driving.

With the slippery slope, if they made the rule that no convicted felons could have their name on a paver, that still wouldn't keep this kid's name off of one. Would it? I don't think it's a big deal and it will eventually go unnoticed.

Well I'm not saying anything about a felony. I'm just talking about an illegal act that could kill innocent people. In this guy's case, I think the only illegal act would be vandalism (or something of that sort) and some sort of weapon's charge, right?

But, yeah, I'm with you on that last sentence. This is nothing more than some news station trying to stir up a big controversy. I'm actually quite impressed with the student newspaper's stance on the issue.

snp
4/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Did you know.......

Yes, I did know that. The Phil Delts and maybe one of the lesser known frats have the same policy.

It's totally different, though.

1stTimeCaller
4/30/2007, 04:23 PM
TD, check your spek. I was just thinking what would happen if the slippery slope stopped at a felony. I think, but don't know if, it's a felony to build and detonate a bomb but even if it was and the University's rule was 'no convicted felons get their name on a brick' his name could still be on one. Unless you can convict a dead person.

I was worked up about it when I jumped to the conclusion, like IronSooner and many did, that it would be some actual memorial like the seed sower, the George Lynn Cross statue, the 'learning is a lasting frontier' rock thing, etc.

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 04:26 PM
the 'learning is a lasting frontier' rock thing, etc.

Knowledge Is Good.

snp
4/30/2007, 04:28 PM
I think a campaign to get the big booby monkey and the scary horse evicted from campus are more pressing issues.

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 04:34 PM
I think a campaign to get the big booby monkey and the scary horse evicted from campus are more pressing issues.

Exactly. I'm not sure what I'm going to say when mom comes to graduation and asks what the deal is with the boob monkey.

yermom
4/30/2007, 04:34 PM
that horse is way too wussy, it should be bigger

and that booby monkey thing is just lame

snp
4/30/2007, 04:40 PM
I walked home from the bar one night and got to second base with that monkey.

She/It never called me back.

Rhino
4/30/2007, 04:41 PM
I think a campaign to get the big booby monkey and the scary horse evicted from campus are more pressing issues. I think you mean Fat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTi2oQjCniI)Naked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTi2oQjCniI)Winged Sphinx-y Buddha Lady (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTi2oQjCniI) and DemonHorse.

MamaMia
4/30/2007, 04:58 PM

Truly, something must be done k plz thx.Yeah, really. Maybe its a real good thing that its so hard for students to get alcohol now. Thats the best thing ever.

Your welcome.

IronSooner
4/30/2007, 05:02 PM
DemonHorse is a campus institution. How else are freshmen supposed to get scared while walking around at night?

skycat
4/30/2007, 05:15 PM
Someone needs to post a picture of the booby monkey thing. I need to know what kind of object gets described that way.

bri
4/30/2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, really. Maybe its a real good thing that its so hard for students to get alcohol now. Thats the best thing ever.

Your welcome.

Points for effort, but the key to good sarcasm is being coherent.

stoopified
4/30/2007, 06:46 PM

Boomer bitching, Boomer bithcing..........la la la la......la la la la...
Who you callin'n a b!tch?I'm a son of a b!tch,lets get that straight.

yermom
4/30/2007, 06:53 PM
Someone needs to post a picture of the booby monkey thing. I need to know what kind of object gets described that way.

it's in the lower left of the main picture here

http://www.ou.edu/fjjma/index.html

there may be a better pic somewhere, but that is first one i could find

if i think about it, i could take a better one tomorrow :D

GottaHavePride
4/30/2007, 07:25 PM
Actually, I think Naked Booby Flying Monkey is better than the "Bull Violates Unsuspecting Man" sculpture on the other side of the museum.

MamaMia
4/30/2007, 08:18 PM
Points for effort, but the key to good sarcasm is being coherant. Did you learn that in mod school? :P

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, I did know that. The Phil Delts and maybe one of the lesser known frats have the same policy.

It's totally different, though.

I don't think it's totally different. You know when you join a sorority that they have a no-alcohol policy in the house. You know when you join a fraternity that OU has a no-alcohol policy for that house. You know when you enroll at OU and sign your residence hall contract that OU has a no-alcohol policy for the residence halls.

If it's really that big a deal to you that the university has a no-alcohol policy in it's mostly-underaged living areas (like the sororities do) then don't go to school there. And if you're not underage....well, sorry. Go get an apartment.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 08:56 PM
TD, check your spek. I was just thinking what would happen if the slippery slope stopped at a felony. I think, but don't know if, it's a felony to build and detonate a bomb but even if it was and the University's rule was 'no convicted felons get their name on a brick' his name could still be on one. Unless you can convict a dead person.

I was worked up about it when I jumped to the conclusion, like IronSooner and many did, that it would be some actual memorial like the seed sower, the George Lynn Cross statue, the 'learning is a lasting frontier' rock thing, etc.

Gotcha.

TopDawg
4/30/2007, 08:57 PM

Why do you hate art?

And big boobies?

IronSooner
4/30/2007, 09:24 PM

If you watch that video on YouTube, they zoom in on the sculpture at the 4:27 mark.

I have a friend who works there so I emailed her about it. Here's what I got back:
"It's by Fernando Botero, possibly one of the most important latin american sculptors of the century. "

I, being substantially less cultured than her, don't care, and think it looks like a wingledgirlmonkeylion, which puts it just above southpark's manbearpig on the weirdness scale.

OUDoc
4/30/2007, 09:35 PM
:
"It's by Fernando Botero, possibly one of the most important latin american sculptors of the century. "

Is that above or below the most on-time pizza delivery guy in Oklahoma?

sooneron
4/30/2007, 09:44 PM
Actually, that statue doesn't bother me that much. Seeing as how it has bewbs, I can bet it won't go over too well in OK.
I hereby offer a sweet mix cd to the person that poses for a photo in the "mount from behind" position. Maybe even a 6'er of Brooklyn lager to boot.

Jerk
4/30/2007, 09:51 PM
If they had memorials for all the deaths on the Turner Turnpike, the whole highway would be a dam*ned granite stone.

Rhino
4/30/2007, 10:28 PM
Someone needs to post a picture of the booby monkey thing. I need to know what kind of object gets described that way. http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/926/fatnakedwingedthingru3.jpg

SleestakSooner
4/30/2007, 10:51 PM
Points for effort, but the key to good sarcasm is being coherent.

I might try to be coherant if I just knew what it is. :rolleyes:

snp
4/30/2007, 10:55 PM
I don't think it's totally different. You know when you join a sorority that they have a no-alcohol policy in the house. You know when you join a fraternity that OU has a no-alcohol policy for that house. You know when you enroll at OU and sign your residence hall contract that OU has a no-alcohol policy for the residence halls.

I pledged and joined my frat under the pretense that I would have several more years oggling the freshman girls. I was denied my right for being the creepy senior! I was robbed, but incoming freshman aren't.

But let's stop dragging Mr Ed out and taking a tireiron to his head.

Why do you hate art?

I don't get art :(

Dio
4/30/2007, 11:00 PM
The fact that this kid's name is memorialized still bugs me a bit (cause I still think he was trying to take some of us with him), but ultimately it is just one name on a paver stone, mixed in with a bunch of other names on paver stones

yermom
4/30/2007, 11:11 PM
Actually, that statue doesn't bother me that much. Seeing as how it has bewbs, I can bet it won't go over too well in OK.
I hereby offer a sweet mix cd to the person that poses for a photo in the "mount from behind" position. Maybe even a 6'er of Brooklyn lager to boot.

if doleo would mount the Mizzou tiger, i'd imagine we could arrange this

sooneron
4/30/2007, 11:15 PM
And for the record, I think giving this poor kid that was obviously angry and confused a stone or whatever is way too touchy feely weak pc crap. Yet, campaign worthy, it is not.

snp
5/1/2007, 12:41 AM

I have some pictures up that alley. But I haven't talked to that girl in a long time. If the collective of Soonerfans.com demands it, I'll sack up and give her a call and demand those pictures, if she still has them.

bri
5/1/2007, 02:08 AM
While we're at it, I say we go find where he's buried and tear down his headstone too.

olevetonahill
5/1/2007, 03:01 AM
While we're at it, I say we go find where he's buried and tear down his headstone too.
Like I said Bri you are so slow on the up swing .
We dont tear it down . We pizz on it
sheesh , try to keep up yungun . :D

bri
5/1/2007, 06:44 AM
Well I know we p*ss on it, but I was speaking more for the part of the angry mob that wants to bust it up. :P

skycat
5/1/2007, 10:04 AM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/926/fatnakedwingedthingru3.jpg

First of all, thank you to all that responded to my urgent request.

But "Booby Monkey" is an entirely inadequate description of this important piece of late twentieth century (or is it early twenty-first century? No matter) sculpture. I'm thinking something more along the lines of "Silicone Cherubim of Unusual Size Assuming the Postition". What a poignant comment on the mixing of the sacred and the profane in our society!

Clearly this needs to remain on proud, prominent display.

GottaHavePride
5/1/2007, 10:21 AM
You missed that it has a tail on the other end. definitely a naked flying booby monkey.

skycat
5/1/2007, 10:24 AM
You missed that it has a tail on the other end. definitely a naked flying booby monkey.

Wait, it has a tail?

Brilliant!

1stTimeCaller
5/1/2007, 10:34 AM
that's no tail, the other statue must have been broken off...

picasso
5/1/2007, 12:11 PM
bri my brother, seriously. it doesn't bother you that this kid could have taken you and me out?
I was on that side of the stadium when it went off. I could care less where he's buried. I just don't get the confusion here on why folks are upset over a memorial for the guy.

snp
5/1/2007, 12:31 PM

Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up corpses

Hamhock
5/1/2007, 12:35 PM
is it wearing pants?

bri
5/1/2007, 01:07 PM
bri my brother, seriously. it doesn't bother you that this kid could have taken you and me out?
I was on that side of the stadium when it went off. I could care less where he's buried. I just don't get the confusion here on why folks are upset over a memorial for the guy.

Yes, it does bother me. It bothers me a great deal. Not to belie everyone's handy opinion of me as glib, emotionless degenerate, I'm VERY grateful that this cracker barrel only took himself (and a defenseless bench) out.

But what also bothers me is the manipulation of fact in this "debate". Everyone seems to be intentionally making it sound like there's a special, seperate monument being erected in this loon's honor on campus. But as it is, he's simply going to be one in hundreds of matching bricks that most people will walk over or past and never give it a second thought. That's where my headstone analogy comes in; if he doesn't deserve the same memorial paving stone as everyone else, then why does he deserve a headstone?

Pricetag
5/1/2007, 01:08 PM
Wouldn't it be more accurately described as a neck or shoulder stone?

Fugue
5/1/2007, 01:11 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/926/fatnakedwingedthingru3.jpg

what do you suppose that guy's intentions are? :texan:

bri
5/1/2007, 01:12 PM
Getting a mix cd from sooneron, from the looks of him...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2007, 01:17 PM
While I realize everyone's a critic, I just don't get some art...

This angelbewbmonkey - not so much...

Sometimes I wonder if people even know what they are talking about with some art, or if they are just to embarrassed to admit they haven't got a clue and they say that the piece is important, blah, blah, just so as not to be seen as ignorant.

Fugue
5/1/2007, 01:17 PM
he's drawn to that pair of giant knockers, well, like a guy to a pair of giant knockers.

skycat
5/1/2007, 01:26 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people even know what they are talking about with some art, or if they are just to embarrassed to admit they haven't got a clue and they say that the piece is important, blah, blah, just so as not to be seen as ignorant.

If you don't like Picasso's paintings, just say so.

TopDawg
5/1/2007, 05:32 PM

Any one of the 90,000 or so people on campus for a game day could take us out. But, like most of them, there is no evidence that this kid tried to take any of us out. Again, if mass murder was his quest, why would he stop when denied access to the stadium (which, I believe, is still just legend)? There were plenty of other opportunities to take out large numbers of people that night.

BigRedJed
5/1/2007, 07:06 PM
TD, while it's possible that he didn't intend to hurt anyone, it's also entirely possible that he chickened out or that the bomb malfunctioned before he had a chance to get in the crowd situation he was seeking. Maybe he only wanted to do it in the stadium, because it would make a specific "statement," and got discouraged because he couldn't get in. Who knows?

All I know is that a bomb is a very unusual method for suicide, unless it is a suicide designed to take out other people. Killing yourself in a very public place also is odd. And the bomb he used was apparently made of the compound of choice for middle-eastern suicide bombers.

While I agree there isn't enough evidence to prove that he intended to hurt others, I don't think that it's silly to speculate that he might have intended it, at least originally.

OklahomaTuba
5/3/2007, 08:26 AM
Just an update:

I spoke with someone at OU on Monday. This person seemed to know the situation fairly well, and explained the school didn't put this up. It was the families wishes.

The biggest problem I had with this was the idea that OU would have initiated this. Since they didn't, and the family wanted to honor a lost child, I just cannot have a problem with that.

That being said, its completely insane to relate what this guy did to a simple drunk driver.

The facts are clear, he tried to buy a large quantity of ammonium nitrate (http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/5057494/detail.html), he DID obtain a **** load of TATP, the FBI removed "fragmentation" pieces from his apartment, and the FBI never was able to deny that he tried to enter the stadium. They never said he didn't.

So, OU's response was fair, so I won't press this anymore. Apologies for all the commotion last weekend.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/3/2007, 08:27 AM
Holy crap can a mod please lock this thing now that Tuba's happy?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/3/2007, 08:46 AM
If you don't like Picasso's paintings, just say so.

Oh I like Picasso, its the other new stuff that I wonder about. Jackson Pollock comes to mind.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/3/2007, 08:48 AM
Just an update:

I spoke with someone at OU on Monday. This person seemed to know the situation fairly well, and explained the school didn't put this up. It was the families wishes.

The biggest problem I had with this was the idea that OU would have initiated this. Since they didn't, and the family wanted to honor a lost child, I just cannot have a problem with that.

That being said, its completely insane to relate what this guy did to a simple drunk driver.

The facts are clear, he tried to buy a large quantity of ammonium nitrate (http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/5057494/detail.html), he DID obtain a **** load of TATP, the FBI removed "fragmentation" pieces from his apartment, and the FBI never was able to deny that he tried to enter the stadium. They never said he didn't.

So, OU's response was fair, so I won't press this anymore. Apologies for all the commotion last weekend.

Then why didn't Boren say this and why did the father say no one ordered it? I agree with you, family did it, done, over. But I don't understand the miscommunication or lack or clarification afterward.

OklahomaTuba
5/3/2007, 09:00 AM
Then why didn't Boren say this and why did the father say no one ordered it? I agree with you, family did it, done, over. But I don't understand the miscommunication or lack or clarification afterward.

I don't know. I am just going to take what the person at OU said and move on. Let this thing rest in peace, and hopefully someone is watching that Mosque down there in Norman.

Scott D
5/3/2007, 09:41 AM
I don't know. I am just going to take what the person at OU said and move on. Let this thing rest in peace, and hopefully someone is watching that Mosque down there in Norman.

Would you prefer the ATF or INS?

TopDawg
5/3/2007, 09:53 AM
TD, while it's possible that he didn't intend to hurt anyone, it's also entirely possible that he chickened out or that the bomb malfunctioned before he had a chance to get in the crowd situation he was seeking. Maybe he only wanted to do it in the stadium, because it would make a specific "statement," and got discouraged because he couldn't get in. Who knows?

Exactly. "Who knows?" There are any number of things that COULD have happened. All I'm saying is that if he wanted to kill a lot of people he certainly had other ways of doing it. Instead, he killed himself (or the bomb malfunctioned) in solitude. And if the stadium was part of a statement, he still could've chosen to do it while just outside the stadium, or in the parking garage or...whatever. There are still other options.

While I agree there isn't enough evidence to prove that he intended to hurt others, I don't think that it's silly to speculate that he might have intended it, at least originally.

I don't think it's silly either. Like you said, a lot of stuff just seems weird about the whole thing. But as long as the people doing the speculation realize that it is just that...SPECULATION...I'm fine with that. I just want people to realize that there are other equally (if not more) viable alternatives to what he intended.

And that gets us back to the original point of all this...which I realize has now been resolved (at least in Tuba's mind)...the University shouldn't deny this family a paver based solely on speculation.

Frozen Sooner
5/3/2007, 12:14 PM
Just an update:

Boren did clarify that it was at the wishes of the family in the Norman Transcript like the day after the article appeared in the DO.

BigRedJed
5/3/2007, 12:38 PM
Holy crap can a mod please lock this thing now that Tuba's happy?
Yes. Good call.

:dean: