PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate NFL fans

emoinwinter
4/28/2007, 11:40 PM
Disclaimer: Now if you post here, I'm obviously not talking about you.

Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe I'm not. Watching the draft today has again made me realize why I dislike the fans of the NFL.

From my experience, the vast majority of hardcore fans of NFL teams are annoying idiots, lacking any sensible knowledge about football. If you happen to remember when the Eagles fans booed for picking McNabb, that proves my point exactly. When we hear that we picked up a recruit, we celebrate and hope the guy pans out, no matter what his stars are. With the NFL, it feels like a differently mentality, like their fans don't know a guy is good until the media tells them he is good.

This gets even worse with the draft. Then all of a sudden they know everything about college football due to the pundits on tv. If Mel Kiper tells them that Russell is the second coming of God, then they believe it.

I can understand how someone, like many of us, can be hardcore fans of a college football teams. With college football you have rivalries and traditions. Nowadays with the NFL, you hardly have both. You laugh when you think about their rivalries. Are any of them so bad that you have to meet halfway inbetween to make sure everybody makes it out alive?

I have always liked the Chiefs, but have never taken the NFL all too serious. I figured this year with AD being drafted, it was time to settle in to the team that he went to. But the Vikings? After watching their fans, do I really want to join them? Or be a big fan of any of the NFL teams? When I see these guys, I just think "sad and pathetic."

This is nothing against the casual fan, which I am sure most of you are. With free agents, and no loyalty in the NFL, it is hard to say that you really root for 1 team, when the team is always changing its identity. With college football when a guy says that he is with OU, he is with OU for life. In the NFL, money talks. That ruins the game, and its fans.

yermom
4/28/2007, 11:50 PM
with the NFL it seems like it's all about the fantasy players anymore anyway

Blue
4/28/2007, 11:57 PM

Hells yeah. Fantasy Football is saving the NFL. I watch all Sunday now.

and GO SAINTS!

BajaOklahoma
4/29/2007, 03:48 AM
Now I just pick certain players to watch and cheer for - whatever team they are on. Most are former OU players, but there are a few others.

I grew up a huge Cowboys fan, with a few years as a Packer-backer and a Lion. In those days, players stuck with their team for more than a couple of seasons. I think the frequent changes now common have impacted my team loyalty.

MamaMia
4/29/2007, 06:05 AM
When it comes to pro football, I don't really cheer for the teams unless one of the teams playing the other is the only team with Sooners on it. I basically cheer for the players to perform well if Sooners are up against each other.

Since we have several players who play for the Bears, I tend to pull for them a lot. With TRRW playing for Dallas, I have a special place in my heart for him too. Having a list of which Sooners are playing for what team always comes in handy if I'm in the mood to watch pro football. I know...its very complicated. :O

OU-HSV
4/29/2007, 07:06 AM
Not to mention at the start of the draft they did that tribute to Va Tech deal and when Vick and Hall were introduced during the tribute...the fans were booing them.
Whether you dislike Va Tech, Vick, or the fact that they picked the NFL draft to show support once again for Va Tech, it shouldn't matter. The fact is, they were doing a tribute for the families and the people effected by the shooting and those fans should've kept their damn boos to themselves. JMHO.

OUinFLA
4/29/2007, 07:35 AM
Im pretty much a fair weather Buc fan.

That means I get to go fishing on Sunday afternoons a lot.

And if I cant go fishing, I have found it is easy to take a nap between the end of the first quarter and the middle of the 4th quarter of the Bucs games. It's my Sunday fall ritual.

badger
4/29/2007, 09:06 AM
if you grow up with a team, you sort of automatically become a fan. its impossible not to like them when your church sermons and special days at school mention PACKERS! PACKERS! PACKERS! over and over.

but I'm not sad about the nfl. even when the packers win, I'd rather be watching them than not.

Scott D
4/29/2007, 09:37 AM
if you grow up with a team, you sort of automatically become a fan. its impossible not to like them when your church sermons and special days at school mention PACKERS! PACKERS! PACKERS! over and over.

but I'm not sad about the nfl. even when the packers win, I'd rather be watching them than not.

(insert snarky comment about Favre here)

:D :D :D

King Crimson
4/29/2007, 09:46 AM
I have a hard time with NFL fans who consider the college game to be merely a minor league system for the "League"....and dismiss any former college player who doesn't have a stellar NFL career as "no good".

JohnnyMack
4/29/2007, 09:59 AM

I know the last few years I've lost sight of the forest for the trees in regards to FF. The game itself isn't important anymore, it's all about how my guys do. I'm seriously considering not playing FF this fall, just to take a break.

Spray
4/29/2007, 10:36 AM
I think you're right about the idiots they showed on TV, but after some of stuff posted here after a loss I fail to see a difference between pro & college fans. Lots of idiots out there with no clue.

badger
4/29/2007, 07:17 PM
(insert snarky comment about Favre here)

:D :D :D
:mad: (insert smarky comment about Okies, O-Who, Zero-O, or any other stupid comment that could be inserted and disguised as a smarky one)

:D

auto
4/29/2007, 07:31 PM
I have not watched a No Fun League game in over 10 years and don't plan on starting.

LRoss
4/29/2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, and since I'm in Kentucky, we all know that those people who were born on the other side of the water (in this case, in Indiana, across the Ohio River) are all morons. Seriously, as soon as you cross that bridge, nobody knows how to drive.

Sounds silly, doesn't it? But I've actually heard people say it (in fairness, they HAVE been Kentucky people!). And the vast majority of NFL fans are annoying idiots lacking any sensible knowledge about football.

If it helps you to understand, keep in mind that when NFL fans boo a pick, it's generally because they wanted someone else. It's not like a recruit where they can only pick one and you hope it's you -- YOU have to pick one, and usually only have one shot at a guy. Maybe Philly fans booed a pick that turned out well. Maybe sometimes fans cheer picks that turn out terribly. They have opinions, that's all.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2007, 08:28 PM
I watching watching them boo and I was embarassed for those people like i was for those in philly that cheered when michael irvin didnt get up from a big hit.

Not only is it a sad image for NFL football fans, but its a sad image, IMHO, for Americans

goingoneight
4/29/2007, 11:49 PM
:mad: (insert smarky comment about Okies, O-Who, Zero-O, or any other stupid comment that could be inserted and disguised as a smarky one)

:D

I thought it was "snarky???" :confused: [see Dane Cook Vicious Circle...]

buffalobill989
4/30/2007, 10:18 AM
I watching watching them boo and I was embarassed for those people like i was for those in philly that cheered when michael irvin didnt get up from a big hit.

Not only is it a sad image for NFL football fans, but its a sad image, IMHO, for Americans

u also have to remeber, that the draft is in new york and so most of the people that were there were fans of different teams but most of them were new yorkers (enough said) i am a big fan of the nfl and college to its hard to pick my favorite because i like them both so much. i do not play fantasy football & i think thats were the fairweather fans are (that and dallas). free agency has def changend the game and its hard to root for one palyer because sometime they are gone after a few years, but thats the buisness. but if u have a smart gm and good players u can keep a core of players together period of time.

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 01:56 PM
I'm glad someone brought this to lite. I was thinking the same thing. I mean people that take time to go to the draft and then boo cause your team didnt pick the guy you wanted?? Get a freakin life. NFL......meh. Give me parts of the superbowl and some of its commericals and thats enough for me.

StoopTroup
4/30/2007, 05:02 PM
The real idiots are developed on Local Radio Call-in shows in the NFL Markets IMO.

I'd rather see the crazies all dressed up and cheering for their team than see fans like Dallas has that just sit there and give the occassional golf clap while their Wife is checking her make-up and talking to her poolboy on her cell phone...

I like KC Fans...

If the Chefs ever win another SB...there will be quite a party...

101sooner
4/30/2007, 06:24 PM
If the Chefs ever win another SB...there will be quite a party...

I'm sure the food would be awesome....

TexasLidig8r
5/1/2007, 09:25 AM
The fan base for college and pro football is very different.

It is one thing to be a 20 year old student, painting your face, obtaining lots of beer with your fake ID and getting hammered at the game. You are attending classes at the school and have invested your future into the school. You're young, dumb and bullet proof.

It is an entirely different thing to be a mid 30 year old, wife and two kids, painting your face, drinking a lot of beer, eating crap food in the parking lot of the stadium for 3 hours before the game even starts and because you were a Friday Night Hero, you think you know the game better than the professionals. There is now such a division between the haves and have nots.. the corporate professionals in their luxury suites with the young, boob jobbed, bottled blonde on the arm, pounding champagne and doing key bumps in the private bathroom in the suite.. vs. the great unwashed.

bah.. give me college football (and the occasional boob jobbed blonde).

SteelClip49
5/1/2007, 09:56 AM
Disclaimer: Now if you post here, I'm obviously not talking about you.

Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe I'm not. Watching the draft today has again made me realize why I dislike the fans of the NFL.

From my experience, the vast majority of hardcore fans of NFL teams are annoying idiots, lacking any sensible knowledge about football. If you happen to remember when the Eagles fans booed for picking McNabb, that proves my point exactly. When we hear that we picked up a recruit, we celebrate and hope the guy pans out, no matter what his stars are. With the NFL, it feels like a differently mentality, like their fans don't know a guy is good until the media tells them he is good.

This gets even worse with the draft. Then all of a sudden they know everything about college football due to the pundits on tv. If Mel Kiper tells them that Russell is the second coming of God, then they believe it.

I can understand how someone, like many of us, can be hardcore fans of a college football teams. With college football you have rivalries and traditions. Nowadays with the NFL, you hardly have both. You laugh when you think about their rivalries. Are any of them so bad that you have to meet halfway inbetween to make sure everybody makes it out alive?

I have always liked the Chiefs, but have never taken the NFL all too serious. I figured this year with AD being drafted, it was time to settle in to the team that he went to. But the Vikings? After watching their fans, do I really want to join them? Or be a big fan of any of the NFL teams? When I see these guys, I just think "sad and pathetic."

This is nothing against the casual fan, which I am sure most of you are. With free agents, and no loyalty in the NFL, it is hard to say that you really root for 1 team, when the team is always changing its identity.[QUOTE=emoinwinter] With college football when a guy says that he is with OU, he is with OU for life. In the NFL, money talks. That ruins the game, and its fans.

For the majority perhaps but I don't think that goes for Darrell Royal.

PDXsooner
5/1/2007, 10:25 AM
When we hear that we picked up a recruit, we celebrate and hope the guy pans out, no matter what his stars are.

unless the guy changes his mind and chooses another school. then "we" talk about how overrated he was, how we didn't really want him anyways, and how he's making the worst decision of his life and he's sure to fail.

goingoneight
5/1/2007, 06:40 PM

It is one thing to be a 20 year old student, painting your face, obtaining lots of beer with your fake ID and getting hammered at the game. You are attending classes at the school and have invested your future into the school. You're young, dumb and bullet proof.

It is an entirely different thing to be a mid 30 year old, wife and two kids, painting your face, drinking a lot of beer, eating crap food in the parking lot of the stadium for 3 hours before the game even starts and because you were a Friday Night Hero, you think you know the game better than the professionals. There is now such a division between the haves and have nots.. the corporate professionals in their luxury suites with the young, boob jobbed, bottled blonde on the arm, pounding champagne and doing key bumps in the private bathroom in the suite.. vs. the great unwashed.

I'm more of a brunette fan, but to each his own, I guess... Good points all around.

Blues1
5/1/2007, 07:46 PM
The Days of Vince Lombardi and George Halas those were "The Golden Years of Pro Football" - Since their departure it's just of bunch Sunday Talking heads who make a Very Good Living trying to be cute on Sunday Mornings - Once being a True Bear Fan (back in the old days) This year it really didn't even bug me they Lost the Super Bowl ....it was Like Ho-Hum....Whats on TV next...

COLLEGE FOOTBALL RULES - Thats why We Keep on Rockin'
BOOMER SOONER....!!!!!

JohnnyMack
5/1/2007, 07:51 PM

My college roommate and I drove from Tulsa down to Norman for the 77 - 0 game. It started at 11 am so we got to O's early to start drinking. Realized very quickly that we were getting old and that beer at 9 am wasn't as good an idea as it used to be. :D

goingoneight
5/2/2007, 01:44 AM
Ah... yes. You know... Stoops was actually laughing with his guys on the sidelines that day. As in, telling jokes... making plans to hang out... they were unstoppable that day... why not move onto other things? Damn Sugar Bowl!!! :mad:

That was the first time I saw PT play, and the main reason I always thought he was a "running quarterback" until last season. It seemed like he could do no wrong that day. And he had the threes and fours in on offense to work with!!! :D

My Dad has been a Sooner Fan since he was a young boy in the 50's, and he said that day "I don't think I've EVER seen an OU team this good before." Of course we know how that all ended, unfortunately... but what a great flashback. :D He just rolls his eyes like any of us do now when he hears about what OU "could have done" with thaose teams in 2003 and 2004. Oh, well... let the bandwagon fans bail on us, we'll rise again like we always do!