PDA

View Full Version : Good oldies music recommendations

tbl
4/28/2007, 11:12 PM
I was in one of those mock 50's diners tonight eating and they had a bunch of good songs that I haven't heard in years, and mostly songs that I've never really thought of as great songs... but they are. Tons of that 50's-early 60's stuff is really good.

I already have a bunch of Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, & Chuck Berry. I'm looking for some of those that might slip through the cracks. For instance, the Wanderer. Great song...

slickdawg
4/28/2007, 11:13 PM
Early Johnny Cash and Elvis.

tbl
4/28/2007, 11:21 PM
Forgot to mention I have all the Johnny Cash Sun Studio recordings... Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. Thats one I forgot about...

King Crimson
4/28/2007, 11:29 PM
the wanderer is Dion and the Belmonts. they have a couple other good ones: run around sue and one i don't have a clue what it's called but good. teenager in love is another one....but lacks the bragadoccio of the the other 3.

? and the Mysterions: 96 tears.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2007, 01:24 AM
The Drifters were really good, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, Jackie Wilson, The Shirelles, Gene Pitney. Killer music. Their stuff is still excellent today.

King Crimson
4/29/2007, 10:20 AM
Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, and/or a Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions early greatest hits or best of would always be worth it in my book.

there's an excellent Sam and Dave double CD set that came out about 10 years ago.

stoopified
4/29/2007, 12:10 PM
Not big on the 50's myselfbut I would suggest Time-Life collection of the 50's .I have the 60's,70's,80's and they are excellent.You won't get the really biug atrists like Elvis but you get the best of everyone else. Good way to find great songs by lesser knowns and one-hit wonders.

85Sooner
4/29/2007, 12:14 PM
CAPT GEECH AND THE SHRIMP SHACK SHOOTERS WERE GREAT

crawfish
4/29/2007, 12:22 PM
Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagon.

</smart-*** teenager>

:mad:

Suerreal
4/29/2007, 03:30 PM
Try www.boomerradio.com 's All Hit Oldies channel. They play mostly 50s and 60s songs. I recently watched a PBS broadcast of the British Invasion, and I think all of the featured songs are on the All Hits Oldies playlist.

And if you like what you hear, visit www.SaveNetradio.com to learn what you can do to keep music like this online and free after May 15th.