PDA

View Full Version : yard intelligent peeps

jk the sooner fan
4/28/2007, 11:50 AM
have any of you ever used a professional lawn service for weeds, etc?

i've got a fairly healthy bermuda lawn, but i've also got a fairly healthy dose of weeds

i've used a butt ton of different weed and feeds, but i've decided they are nothing more than "feed your weeds"

just wondering if using a professional service to treat the lawn is worth the time and $$

sanantoniosooner
4/28/2007, 11:52 AM
I've always heard Scott's Bonus S is the best.

Other than that all I know about yard's is 36"

1stTimeCaller
4/28/2007, 11:53 AM
Use Ortho Weed B Gone. It'll kill all of your weeds and won't harm the bermuda.

critical_phil
4/28/2007, 11:57 AM
i use a service for my front yard. the dude comes out once a month from april to september. it costs about $30 per application, and it's absolutely worth it.

for the back, i use ferti-lome bermuda weeder.

http://www.plantworldnursery.com/publishingdirectory/subs/backsubs/pestandweedcontrol/weedtreatments/bermudagrassweeder.htm

it's really cheap - but it really isn't any good until the night temps get above 75. it will kill everything but bermuda.

jk the sooner fan
4/28/2007, 12:00 PM
i use a service for my front yard. the dude comes out once a month from april to september. it costs about $30 per application, and it's absolutely worth it.

for the back, i use ferti-lome bermuda weeder.

http://www.plantworldnursery.com/publishingdirectory/subs/backsubs/pestandweedcontrol/weedtreatments/bermudagrassweeder.htm

it's really cheap - but it really isn't any good until the night temps get above 75. it will kill everything but bermuda.

local company or national chain?

critical_phil
4/28/2007, 12:04 PM
local company or national chain?

local dude.

i tried ChemLawn, but staying on top of them and getting them to show up was like a part-time job.

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2007, 12:09 PM
The problem you had is using a 'weed & feed' product.

Pre-e should be applied earlier than fertilizer, otherwise, you're feeding the weeds while also trying to kill them.

The chains do do a good job.You don't have to worry about the chemicals and your yard should be purty and green.

I'd go with a large, reputable local chain over the national guys.

GottaHavePride
4/28/2007, 12:18 PM
I use a small company for our lawn. As in, a guy with some sprayers in the back of his truck. He comes out every 6 weeks, sprays and fertilizes front and back yards, charges $45 each time.

I have absolutely no weeds, I never water my lawn, and I have one of the best lawns on my street.

Widescreen
4/28/2007, 12:23 PM
The biggest problem in our lawn is nutgrass. It grows so fast that I could probably mow half as much as I do if we didn't have to deal with the nutgrass. :mad:

slickdawg
4/28/2007, 01:16 PM
I've always heard Scott's Bonus S is the best.

Other than that all I know about yard's is 36"

No doubt, it is the shiznit.

Turd_Ferguson
4/28/2007, 01:25 PM
If you concentrate on getting the bermuda nice and thick, it will choke out the weeds. I have never used anybody to treat my lawn for the exception of having a pre-emergent put on this spring. I think the early heat and rain helped the weeds out this spring. Estes Chemical on NW 7th & Penn(I think?) has the best fertilizer I have ever used. It's called EC Grow. It get's my lawn very green and very thick by no later than the first of June. After that, any crabgrass, dandylions or anything else that I havn't already pulled, gets choked the **** out.;)

jk the sooner fan
4/28/2007, 01:56 PM
GHP - you dont water at all?

1stTimeCaller
4/28/2007, 02:07 PM
he's allergic to water.

;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2007, 02:11 PM
If you or the Mrs are driving around and see a yard with a nice, lush, green, weed-free lawn and has one of those little stakes with 'Jim Bob's Green Team' or whatever and a number, write'r down.

...unless it's a Chemlawn/TrueGreen, etc place

BajaOklahoma
4/28/2007, 02:15 PM
We use Tru-Green. We've tried the others and they ****.
These guys come out on time, always calling the day before as a reminder so the gate will be open.
The two most important treatments, IMO, are the late Fall and the first of Spring. They do the most to prevent weeds.
Due to the large number of trees, most of our grass is St Augustine. The shade and the dogs are very hard on the grass, but it is starting to perk up.
The sprinkler system is the one thing that has made the most difference in our yard. Our last three homes have had them and so will any future homes.

Fraggle145
4/28/2007, 02:15 PM
have any of you ever used a professional lawn service for weeds, etc?

i've got a fairly healthy bermuda lawn, but i've also got a fairly healthy dose of weeds

i've used a butt ton of different weed and feeds, but i've decided they are nothing more than "feed your weeds"

just wondering if using a professional service to treat the lawn is worth the time and $$

get olevet to come take care of it, the man just took his baggy away. :eek: ;)

proud gonzo
4/28/2007, 02:54 PM
GHP - you dont water at all?nope. sometimes i put a sprinkler out on my roses, but we don't water the grass. We don't even have a functioning garden hose right now--we need a new one.

whatever you do, do no use chemlawn. My dad tried it one year (w/ bermuda) and we had the healithiest crop of dandelions ever.

GottaHavePride
4/28/2007, 03:52 PM
nope. sometimes i put a sprinkler out on my roses, but we don't water the grass. We don't even have a functioning garden hose right now--we need a new one.

whatever you do, do no use chemlawn. My dad tried it one year (w/ bermuda) and we had the healithiest crop of dandelions ever.

We probably shouldn't have left a cheap one outside all winter.

Frozen Sooner
4/28/2007, 04:59 PM
The biggest problem in our lawn is nutgrass. It grows so fast that I could probably mow half as much as I do if we didn't have to deal with the nutgrass. :mad:

I've got a lot of nut grass as well.

ZING!

sooner_born_1960
4/28/2007, 05:02 PM
MSMA for all the weeds in bermuda.

proud gonzo
4/28/2007, 05:29 PM
We probably shouldn't have left a cheap one outside all winter.it wasn't a cheap when I bought it. :mad:

Mjcpr
4/28/2007, 05:34 PM
If you leave it attached to the faucet, you're asking for trouble.

proud gonzo
4/28/2007, 05:42 PM
it wasn't attached to the faucet over the winter--i just forgot and left it on the spool thing on the side of the house.

usmc-sooner
4/28/2007, 07:51 PM

ZING!

I guess all that nut seed germinated :eek:

Widescreen
4/28/2007, 08:14 PM

ZING!
I'm actually disappointed that it took 4.5 hours to get something like that. The SO really is going downhill.