PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's oilfield drilling lesson

1stTimeCaller
4/28/2007, 01:16 AM
When drilling straight down or vertical rarely are you truly vertical. A vertical hole is defined as one that is within 3 degrees of vertical. A deviated hole is one that has an inclination of greater than 3 degrees.

Also, when drilling vertical, especially with a PDC bit, the bit drills in a spiral pattern not straight down. It's just like a spiral staircase.

These fine people ruined my evening with my future wife, Miss Bonnie Bishop, because they didn't know that.:mad: They thought my tool was messed up because the azimuth showed them going in a different direction. Nevermind that the inclination was at .5 degrees. Imagine walking down a spiral staircase; if you look straight ahead when you are at the top and then take three steps down and look straight ahead are you still facing the same direction? No. But you are going relatively straight down so there is no need to worry.

soonerboomer93
4/28/2007, 01:44 AM
our lesson today was

please do not urinate inside our hull

SicEmBaylor
4/28/2007, 02:15 AM
Where are you guys drilling at these days?

Jimminy Crimson
4/28/2007, 03:39 AM
Where are you guys drilling at these days?

The oilfield...

DUH! ;)

SoonerBorn68
4/28/2007, 11:35 AM
Wow, 1TC. That's like Company Man and Directional Driller 101.

SoonerBorn68
4/28/2007, 11:36 AM
You'd think a dude that made over $200K a year would understand the most basic concept in direction drilling.

1stTimeCaller
4/28/2007, 11:38 AM
You'd think so but it was high drama out here last night when I got back from Fort Worth.

slickdawg
4/28/2007, 01:19 PM
When drilling straight down or vertical rarely are you truly vertical. A vertical hole is defined as one that is within 3 degrees of vertical. A deviated hole is one that has an inclination of greater than 3 degrees.

Also, when drilling vertical, especially with a PDC bit, the bit drills in a spiral pattern not straight down. It's just like a spiral staircase.

These fine people ruined my evening with my future wife, Miss Bonnie Bishop, because they didn't know that.:mad: They thought my tool was messed up because the azimuth showed them going in a different direction. Nevermind that the inclination was at .5 degrees. Imagine walking down a spiral staircase; if you look straight ahead when you are at the top and then take three steps down and look straight ahead are you still facing the same direction? No. But you are going relatively straight down so there is no need to worry.

so where do tongs fit into this picture?

1stTimeCaller
4/28/2007, 01:35 PM
they are used to attach and unattach all of the pieces that go down hole. Unless the rig has an iron roughneck. It's a machine that is replacing tongs. You want a picture of one?

OUDoc
4/28/2007, 03:11 PM
They thought my tool was messed up
If you don't quit showing it to the oilfield guys, it'll never heal.

oilmud
4/28/2007, 08:51 PM
You'd think a dude that made over $200K a year would understand the most basic concept in direction drilling.

Yeah right, dude was prolly selling cars 2 months ago.:mad: :mad:

slickdawg
4/28/2007, 11:05 PM
they are used to attach and unattach all of the pieces that go down hole. Unless the rig has an iron roughneck. It's a machine that is replacing tongs. You want a picture of one?

Sure, cause I don't know **** about oil drilling. :confused:

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 10:13 AM
So whats the difference in a tri-cone bit and a PDC? They both drill in a "spiral pattern" right? PDC makes the mudloggers job a lot harder. This is an engineers job. I have no clue.

dolemitesooner
4/30/2007, 10:27 AM
To bad I already tagged Bonnie Bishop in the AZZ beyonce

1stTimeCaller
4/30/2007, 01:01 PM
So whats the difference in a tri-cone bit and a PDC? They both drill in a "spiral pattern" right? PDC makes the mudloggers job a lot harder. This is an engineers job. I have no clue.

The PDC creates much more torque on the drillstring due to the way it cuts the hole vs. the way a roller cone bit crushes the hole but they both do create a spiral.

Today's lesson in directional drilling: To determine the toolface you need, you take the desired build rate (change in inclination over a distance) divided by the desired walk rate (chang in azimuth over a distance). You then take the arc tangent of that number and subtract 90. The distance is usually 30ish feet long.

Petro-Sooner
4/30/2007, 01:27 PM
In other words, know your trig?