PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Homey got an offer today from a hospital in Austin

Okla-homey
4/27/2007, 05:42 PM
Well over $100K, plus a big signing bonus -- to do precisely the same thing she's doing in Tulsa, but at a medical center there in Austin.

She told them "no way," and added a "texass sux" at the end of the conversation.

Gawd, I love that woman.:D

MamaMia
4/27/2007, 05:47 PM
Well over $100K, plus a big signing bonus -- to do precisely the same thing she's doing in Tulsa, but at a medical center there in Austin.

She told told them "no way," and added a "texass sux" at the end of the conversation.

I love her too. :D

Boomer Sooner Mrs. Homey

Okla-homey
4/27/2007, 05:56 PM
OMG, those gin and tonics have fried her brains. ;)

Actually, I think she just loves her Okie and she knows there ain't no way he'd ever consent to live on the darkside of the Red River.

Kinda funny part is, we moved about every two years for 23 years and you kinda get itchy feet after a cupla years, until you realize, "we're done with that shat and this is home for good!":D

jk the sooner fan
4/27/2007, 05:58 PM
100K with no state taxes, yeah i can see how that would just suck

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 06:23 PM
Hey, some people are willing to take the pay cut to stay in OK :)

I mean, hell yes, Texas sucks.

But a couple of tens of thousands of dollars a year can make up for a lot of suck, at least in my book. :D

Okla-homey
4/27/2007, 06:24 PM

For the record, I'd rather be a syphllitic dirt farmer or Lawton whore house towel boy in Oklahoma than the Governor of texass.

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 06:28 PM
For the record, I'd rather be a syphllitic dirt farmer or Lawton whore house towel boy in Oklahoma than the Governor of texass.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down here.

Think of just how badly you could jack with UT's budget if you were the governor of Texas. I think that alone would probably make it worth it to live in Texas for the duration.

sanantoniosooner
4/27/2007, 06:31 PM
Lawyers with standards.

Now I've seen everything.

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 06:32 PM
He's not a lawyer yet, is he?

Scott D
4/27/2007, 07:01 PM

not with that attitude he won't be ;)

jk the sooner fan
4/27/2007, 07:42 PM
so let me get this straight, in order to live in texas, you have to be the govenor

why was i not briefed on this earlier........

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 07:55 PM
KEEPER !

TUSooner
4/27/2007, 07:55 PM
Knowing what a fine upstanding gal she is, and given that the choice is between OK and TX, I give her a pat on the back. If the choice were between LA and TX, I'd help her pack and tell her I'll join her ASAP. :D

bluedogok
4/27/2007, 08:03 PM
You just end up paying the same if not more when you add in the property taxes. I know my tax burden is higher in Austin than it was in OKC.

bigdsooner
4/27/2007, 08:07 PM
congrats to your wife homey, she's a damn good woman. if it'd been the dallas area i woulda taken it...but no way in hell i'd ever live in whornville

soonerboomer93
4/27/2007, 08:20 PM
well, Austin has a higher housing cost, and they make up the lack of income taxes by having higher taxes in other areas.

bluedogok
4/27/2007, 08:23 PM
well, Austin has a higher housing cost, and they make up the lack of income taxes by having higher taxes in other areas.
Don't I know it......they all get their money, they just use different methods.

sooneron
4/27/2007, 08:29 PM
I would venture to guess that COL is about 20% higher in asstin too. I have seen pics of the Homey homestead, that would cost about 30-50K more in asstin AND you'd have to live 5 miles farther from anything to boot.

You guys have NO idea how good you have it down there as far as tax burden is concerned.

jk the sooner fan
4/27/2007, 08:41 PM
homey - does oklahoma give you a break on property taxes for your VA rating?

JohnnyMack
4/27/2007, 08:56 PM
I would venture to guess that COL is about 20% higher in asstin too. I have seen pics of the Homey homestead, that would cost about 30-50K more in asstin AND you'd have to live 5 miles farther from anything to boot.

You guys have NO idea how good you have it down there as far as tax burden is concerned.

At least you can drown your broke-***-sorrows in a cup of DD.

LilSooner
4/27/2007, 10:25 PM
Cost of living is higher in Austin.

You would have to learn Spanish to live down there.

It's texas.

There is not enough money to make me live back in that god forsaken place.

olevetonahill
4/27/2007, 10:31 PM
JK
I can answer that since Im the benificiary of the new st tax thing
If you are 100% total an Permanant you Pay No property Tax, No sales Tax, No excise tax on a new vehicle every 3 yrs
Befor all we got was 2 tags a yr for 11 $ each , and a huntin fishin license :cool:

jk the sooner fan
4/27/2007, 10:50 PM
JK
If you are 100% total an Permanant you Pay No property Tax, No sales Tax, No excise tax on a new vehicle every 3 yrs
Befor all we got was 2 tags a yr for 11 $ each , and a huntin fishin license :cool:

down here, depending on what rating you have, you get a reduction on the value of your property for the purposes of taxes.....mine is $7500 off the property value

and you dont have to be 100% rated

SicEmBaylor
4/27/2007, 10:51 PM
Austin is actually a pretty fun city for a college student or anyone below 30.
Except for all the whorn ****.

slickdawg
4/27/2007, 11:02 PM
I can't imagine Austin - Dallas is bad enough with the effin whorns.

picasso
4/27/2007, 11:16 PM

Think of just how badly you could jack with UT's budget if you were the governor of Texas. I think that alone would probably make it worth it to live in Texas for the duration.
haha!

Okla-homey
4/28/2007, 04:57 AM
The thing is, years ago, when we began this journey through life, we figured her being a nurse would be a decent gig. Impervious to economic downturns, pretty much guarenteed employment anywhere in the US, and the job, like lawyering, doctoring and school teaching, simply cannot be "outsourced" overseas or done by illegal aliens. Demand for nurses is increasing as the "boomers" lurch towards old age and need more frequent hospitalization.

We waaaaay underestimated it.

In fact, nowadays, being an RN is amazingly lucrative. I can't think of too many other gigs in the US in which 21 y/o people with only brand-new 2 year degrees and a piece of paper from their state that says "registered nurse" on it can start in the majority of markets in the US at >$50K with great benefits. In a lot of markets it's not unusual to start even higher, especially if they have a bachelors in nursing.

Add in student loan pay-off packages and signing bonuses which have become the norm, and it's even better. It's also a completely portable profession and you don't have to stay one place for a long time to move up the old corporate ladder.

They also don't need to worry about malpractice insurance because as employees of hospitals, the hospital endemnifies their practice and pays for the defense. Plaintiffs generally don't sue nurses, they sue the hospital which has the "deep pockets."

I'm proud of Mrs Homey. She has a BSN, MBA and 25 years experience in her field (neonatal nursing.) She's a great clinician and has pwesom3 management skillz. These days, that makes her a hot commodity.

The downside is, not everyone can do it. Some people can't deal with blood, bones, phlegm and guts (like me and our Blonde Daughter) and couldn't be a nurse.:O

Okla-homey
4/28/2007, 05:08 AM

I'm rated at 50%. That doesn't get me anything from Oklahoma, but I ain't complaining. The VA compensation is not taxed, and since my injuries are considered "combat related" and the fact I'm a retiree, the USAF matches the VA compensation. Therefore, I get my full retired pay, much of which is not taxed, PLUS the VA compensation which isn't taxed either. In addition, if I wanted to work at the post office, they pretty much would have to hire me because of the mandatory disabled vet preference.;)

Okla-homey
4/28/2007, 05:19 AM

nope. two semesters left and a little barrier called the barzam.

jk the sooner fan
4/28/2007, 06:24 AM
I'm rated at 50%. That doesn't get me anything from Oklahoma, but I ain't complaining. The VA compensation is not taxed, and since my injuries are considered "combat related" and the fact I'm a retiree, the USAF matches the VA compensation. Therefore, I get my full retired pay, much of which is not taxed, PLUS the VA compensation which isn't taxed either. In addition, if I wanted to work at the post office, they pretty much would have to hire me because of the mandatory disabled vet preference.;)

yeah i'm at 40% and get all that too

AND a break on property taxes....

Okla-homey
4/28/2007, 06:33 AM
yeah i'm at 40% and get all that too

AND a break on property taxes....

Property taxes aren't too bad here anyway. Not as low as Alabama when we lived there, but still pretty cheap. Low property taxes are generally the norm in states which don't really give a crap about their public schools.;)

skycat
4/28/2007, 10:42 AM
Living in Austin ain't bad. Yeah, there's a lot of "We're Texas" crap you have to deal with, but the fact is there are a lot of nice things here. I'd love to move back to Kansas, but I wouldn't take a big pay cut to do it.

Oh, and I can't speak a lick of Spanish, and the only place that's a problem is when I play softball. 'Cause I can't tell if the other team is insulting us or not.

Of course it helps when your team can claim scoreboard in football, basketball, and baseball over the horns.

Sooner24
4/28/2007, 10:51 AM
JK

Don't you lose all that when you go to the pen? :D

Vaevictis
4/28/2007, 02:26 PM
About the only spanish I know is:

Chinga tu madre
Hijo de puta
pendejo

I get along fine ;)

proud gonzo
4/28/2007, 02:36 PM
The downside is, not everyone can do it. Some people can't deal with blood, bones, phlegm and guts (like me and our Blonde Daughter) and couldn't be a nurse.:Oditto

Scott D
4/28/2007, 05:04 PM
Property taxes aren't too bad here anyway. Not as low as Alabama when we lived there, but still pretty cheap. Low property taxes are generally the norm in states which don't really give a crap about their public schools.;)

I think the norm cares a great deal about public schools ;)

critical_phil
4/28/2007, 05:18 PM
The downside is, not everyone can do it. Some people can't deal with blood, bones, phlegm and guts (like me and our Blonde Daughter) and couldn't be a nurse.:O

dear homey,

please add urine and feces to that list.....:O

love,

c_p
male student nurse

bluedogok
4/28/2007, 05:26 PM
I can't imagine Austin - Dallas is bad enough with the effin whorns.
I actually have found Whorn fans to be worse when I lived in Dallas than I do living here in Austin. They just seem to be more obnoxious up there and there are a bunch of people from all over here so maybe that dilutes them. We only have 3 in our office of 11 and they aren't wrapped up in it much. Everyone else is from somewhere else, 1-aTm,, 1-UTSA, 1-SWT (now Texas State), 1-UT-Arlington, 1-Houston, 1-Iowa State, 1-Univ. of Monterrey, Mexico (worked in Chicago for 10 years before moving to Austin).

I know only a little bit of Spanish and I live in South Austin where it is a bit more prevalent. I have neighbors that speak Spanish only but their kids speak English like natives. My wife is a 4th generation Texican (as her dad puts it) and has a hard time keeping up with them when conversing in Spanish because for the most part her family only speaks English. This part of Texas is still not Miami, Florida, it is far from it. I actually hear very little of it spoken and that is usually on a construction jobsite.

Okla-homey
4/28/2007, 05:28 PM
dear homey,

please add urine and feces to that list.....:O

love,

c_p
male student nurse

and scabs, spittle, pus and sweat.

landrun
4/30/2007, 09:58 AM

She told them "no way," and added a "texass sux" at the end of the conversation.

That's good money. Is your wife a nurse bringing that home??

Okla-homey
4/30/2007, 04:31 PM
That's good money. Is your wife a nurse bringing that home??

yepper. I hope she never trades me in for a trophy husband.

sooneron
4/30/2007, 09:56 PM
At least you can drown your broke-***-sorrows in a cup of DD.
Most overtaxed populace I am a member of...:(

I've moved on from DD, except if I'm taking the train as the DD is right by the station and I can't afford the extra 7 minutes to hit the local spot. BEST ICED COFFEE EVER!!- Wilkes' Delicatessen.

Cam
4/30/2007, 10:00 PM
Everybody has their price, and that ain't enough for me to move back there. Not even close. Being home's worth much more to me than that.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2007, 10:13 PM
I'll be honest. I needed some space from relatives.

I would have taken a pay cut to move here.

soonerboomer93
4/30/2007, 10:19 PM
That's why I like about my job. I can be based out of where ever i choose.

sanantoniosooner
4/30/2007, 10:21 PM
That's why I like about my job. I can be based out of where ever i choose.
Well heck yeah.

If I could pick any place in the world, you'd bet I'd pick Korea.

47straight
4/30/2007, 11:33 PM
Homey, I know you'd be just a kept man with your wife banking like that, but the legal market is fairly difficult to break into down here starting out.

Real estate prices are getting crazy here. Property taxes too (accordingly). My property taxes are as much here as our house payment was growing up in Smallville, Oklahoma.

If you think you can find something interesting and sufficiently lucrative when you graduate, she prolly made the right call.

But of course if you are young and single and want to do IP work, Austin's not a bad place to be.

soonerboomer93
4/30/2007, 11:51 PM
Well heck yeah.

If I could pick any place in the world, you'd bet I'd pick Korea.

fugger...

No, I have to go to whatever shipyard the work is at, but my home states side, is anywhere I want, because it doens't make a difference (although Houston would be ok since I'd be close to head quarters and the oil companies).

landrun
5/1/2007, 01:57 PM
yepper. I hope she never trades me in for a trophy husband.

How is a nurse bringing that much home? Is she working for a hospital or what?

I'm going to have to ask my wife what her problem is. :D She's a nurse of 16 years and still not making that.

frankensooner
5/1/2007, 03:06 PM
I am a dirty lawyer and my wife is a nicu nurse too, go figure.

landrun
5/1/2007, 03:13 PM
Interesting.

My wife is a Pediatric nurse. She worked in nicu for about 2 years but then left because of the intense pressure. You're wife probably deserves the cash she's making then.

But you, a dirty lawyer on the other hand.... :D

Okla-homey
5/1/2007, 06:00 PM
How is a nurse bringing that much home? Is she working for a hospital or what?

I'm going to have to ask my wife what her problem is. :D She's a nurse of 16 years and still not making that.

She's gotta be willing to make the jump to management. Mrs. Homey's got an MBA in addition to her BSN and 25 years in the field. She has worked in and run NICU's and OB departments exclusively her entire career at "for-profit" hospitals and always made sure her areas made money. She's also got a knack for staffing too. She typically will be at 100% staffing when other areas in the same hospital will be hurting for nurses. That's because people seem to like to work for her. That makes her pretty competive and the hospital headhunters call often.

goingoneight
5/1/2007, 07:16 PM

Heh, you could pass that law they were wanting regarding recruiting... How does that go again??? OU is the onyl team allowed to recruit there, huh? ;)