PDA

View Full Version : Got resume?

Okla-homey
4/27/2007, 07:07 AM
http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/15123/2000946436922845450_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000946436922845450)

Marilee Jones, Dean of Admissions at MIT (the one in Massachusetts, not the one in Tishomingo) urged students to be honest on their applications and never pad their accomplishments. She's even written books about it that got published.

She was fired by the university yesterday for padding her resume. She had been admissions dean at the elite university for almost a decade. She claimed degrees from three universities she did not have. In fact, it doesn't even look like she even has a bachelors degree from any college. period.

heh.

jk the sooner fan
4/27/2007, 07:28 AM
lol, that is genius

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 07:35 AM
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1743/mistakedl9.gif

VeeJay
4/27/2007, 07:56 AM
I have only had one time where I was asked to validate a degree I had claimed on my resume/application. When you reach a certain level with an appropriate salary, I'd think companies would have policies regarding this.

I just claimed to be an uneducated lower level hillbilly.

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 08:27 AM
I expect that if you've been with an organization for long enough, I expect that they assume that your credentials have been previously "checked out" so to speak.

The impetus to double-check later probably decreases if you're being internally promoted -- if you know the person is a good performer and have observed that they are qualified, there's really little incentive to spend time and money double-checking the resume.

Petro-Sooner
4/27/2007, 09:47 AM
But all an employeer would have to do is have that person contact there college they graduatied from and have that school send said employeer their transcript. I dont see the big deal.

picasso
4/27/2007, 09:49 AM
she should apply for the Notre Dame head foosball coaching position.

BU BEAR
4/27/2007, 11:40 AM
She taught by example in the end.

mdklatt
4/27/2007, 12:07 PM
On the one hand she lied. But on the other hand she's apparently qualified for the job since she's been doing it for ten years. Maybe they were just using this as an excuse to push her out the door for some other reason. Otherwise, is it worth it to get rid of an employee over a mistake that's just as much the employer's fault?

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 12:23 PM
It's an issue of ethics. You can't have a person in a position like that essentially lie for 28 years about their qualifications.

Sure, she's got 28 years of experience, so she's probably capable. But she also had 28 years to come clean, and that speaks to very poor character and judgment.

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 12:26 PM
But all an employeer would have to do is have that person contact there college they graduatied from and have that school send said employeer their transcript. I dont see the big deal.

For the initial hire, absolutely. But for an internal hire and/or promotion? Not so much; if you're doing an internal hire and/or promotion, you should be able to assume that the previously accepted qualifications are valid.

mdklatt
4/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Sure, she's got 28 years of experience, so she's probably capable. But she also had 28 years to come clean, and that speaks to very poor character and judgment.

It's not like there was a point where she could have salvaged the situation. If you're a new hire and you confess to something like that, you're gone. As you go longer and longer without fessing up, you're playing off your work performance against the increasing magnitude of your lie.

sooner_born_1960
4/27/2007, 03:34 PM
Admissions is basically clerical work. Who cares if she has a degree or not?

MamaMia
4/27/2007, 03:46 PM
I'll bet she'll have to sue for her retirement. I volunteer to represent her, pro bono. :D

IronSooner
4/27/2007, 03:49 PM
Admissions is basically clerical work. Who cares if she has a degree or not?

Heh, that's what I was thinking. Of course with her writing books and whatnot on the subject, you can't exactly keep her around. But the work doesn't exactly require a degree it would seem. Funny.

Vaevictis
4/27/2007, 03:54 PM
At this point, it's not about whether she has the degree or not. It's about the fact that she lied about her qualifications, and let the lie stand for 28 years.