PDA

View Full Version : Cox Cable HD Question

r5TPsooner
4/26/2007, 05:26 PM
Hello folks. I just moved back to OKC and I have been a Dish Network subscriber for many years. Due to Dish goofing up my HD order, I was forced to go with Cox Cable. When I was watching my limited number of Cox channels in HD, I noticed that ABC and the local Fox station were not HD. Is this also the same with Dish Network and DirecTV?

Does the local ABC station not do HD yet or is it simply a Cox thing?

Thanks in advance.

bluedogok
4/26/2007, 09:25 PM
DirecTV just came into the OKC market, right now they only have Fox and ABC on HD but say they are in negotiations with the others.

Broadcast Newsroom - DIRECTV Delivers Local HD Programming to Customers in Oklahoma City (http://hd.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=129836)

DuSStyBottoms22
4/26/2007, 09:32 PM
It is simply a cox thing.. we used to have KOCO about 6 months ago or so, but Hearst Argyle(People who own KOCO) decided that if Cox was going to make money on the HD feed then they wanted some as well. Cox said FU so no mo channel 5. I believe the Fox station is owned by someone in Georgia who won't even negotiate with Cox. We might get channel 5 back but i doubt we'll ever see 25.

I went out and bought an antenna for 5/25 so it's all good.. except for the fact that dish has about 20 more HD channels.

bluedogok
4/26/2007, 09:54 PM
We don't get the HD feed of the NBC affiliate here because they are owned by LIN. None of the LIN-owned stations have their HD feed on DirecTV or Dish and they have not been on any cable systems until this month.

soonerboomer93
4/26/2007, 10:07 PM
i think it's 2008, but soon they'll be required to share their digital feeds (as long as they have a contract with said cable/satellite company)

bluedogok
4/26/2007, 11:25 PM
i think it's 2008, but soon they'll be required to share their digital feeds (as long as they have a contract with said cable/satellite company)
"Digital" is not HD, they will be required to share the digital SD feeds since the analog spectrum will be sold off for wireless phone spectrum. That doesn't affect the sharing of the HD feeds.

ultimatesooner1
4/26/2007, 11:58 PM
It is simply a cox thing.. we used to have KOCO about 6 months ago or so, but Hearst Argyle(People who own KOCO) decided that if Cox was going to make money on the HD feed then they wanted some as well. Cox said FU so no mo channel 5. I believe the Fox station is owned by someone in Georgia who won't even negotiate with Cox. We might get channel 5 back but i doubt we'll ever see 25.

I went out and bought an antenna for 5/25 so it's all good.. except for the fact that dish has about 20 more HD channels.

cox makes $0 off of the HD feed and it is strictly a heart argyle problem. they are trying to force the cable co to pay for all of their hd eqipment

soonerboomer93
4/27/2007, 02:14 AM
"Digital" is not HD, they will be required to share the digital SD feeds since the analog spectrum will be sold off for wireless phone spectrum. That doesn't affect the sharing of the HD feeds.

yes, digital is not HD

however, while the change over is taken place, my understanding is that they have been allowed to have excess digital bandwidth, that they will lose around the time they lose the analog bandwidth. They have managed to get their analog lives extended for quite some time but no telling how much longer they can keep putting it off.

Hatfield
4/27/2007, 07:44 AM
either way just buy an antennae and you can pick up fox and abc as well.

because very little in life is better than lost's hot sweaty jungle kate in HD

r5TPsooner
4/27/2007, 08:56 AM
I think I'll go to Circuit City and give this antennae a try. It seems to be well liked by most reviewers.

My next question is this... will the HD channels that I get over the antennae show up on the normal Cox channels (ABC, Channel 5) or will they show up somewhere in the 700's where Cox has there HD channels?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howToGetItTab.do?c=1&zip=73013&oid=158311#tabs

Hatfield
4/27/2007, 09:18 AM
to use your antennae you will have to put your tv on the video setting for antennae...you can't use it to access the local hd not provided by fox over their equipment in their channel range thingy

there are several hd stations that cox doesn't provide locally

4.1 is nbc
i get abc on 7.3 but some get it on 5.1
25.1 is fox
34.1 is wb
and there are a few oeta's and about 8 bible channel hds

Boomer.....
4/27/2007, 09:30 AM
Does the local ABC station not do HD yet or is it simply a Cox thing?

Thanks in advance.

It is an OKC thing. Tulsa gets ABC and Fox HD. :cool:

Taxman71
4/27/2007, 10:31 AM
The people I know in other Fox affiliates say that the OKC Fox affiliate will never be on Cox in HD under the reign of the current Fox OKC owner. Better get an antenna if you like BCS, NFL or MLB.

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2007, 10:57 AM
I told cox to shove it today. cancelled my cable and phone with them, but had to keep the internet cause I think it's the best offer really. If someone knows of a better internet service, lemme know. (I no longer have a land line so I can't do yahoo sbc)

oh, and I went to DISH.

of course cox whines and cries cause ABC pulled programming from THEM. I just said "I know you are in a ****in contest with them, but it's been long enough, and I want my sooners in HD. Tulsa gets them, but NORMAN does not. SO I"ll go elsewhere"

Hatfield
4/27/2007, 11:00 AM
that showed em

r5TPsooner
4/27/2007, 11:10 AM
I told cox to shove it today. cancelled my cable and phone with them, but had to keep the internet cause I think it's the best offer really. If someone knows of a better internet service, lemme know. (I no longer have a land line so I can't do yahoo sbc)

oh, and I went to DISH.

of course cox whines and cries cause ABC pulled programming from THEM. I just said "I know you are in a ****in contest with them, but it's been long enough, and I want my sooners in HD. Tulsa gets them, but NORMAN does not. SO I"ll go elsewhere"

I didn't mean to start a Cox bashing thread but I have lived in Edmond exactly a month today and my Cable, Internet, and digital home phone have gone down at some point everyday. I just tried to make a business call and my phone was dead. As was my internet and cable. I was told by Cox that to get to HD boxes, that I wold have to subscribe to there digital phone service.

I am going to try satellite one more time because outages everyday are unacceptable IMO. I really wanted to support local jobs and businesses but this is hogwash.

Sorry for the rant but I do feel about 15% better now.

Hatfield
4/27/2007, 11:28 AM
so you have to sign up to phone now just to get an hd box? that ain't right

Boomer.....
4/27/2007, 11:33 AM
I used to have the bundle but since have canceled my phone and they didn't say anything. It was damn near impossible to cancel. They were trying everything they could to keep me on. Maybe it's some new scheme to get people to get the bundle.

r5TPsooner
4/27/2007, 11:37 AM

If you wanted two HD receivers. They had me by the groin at the time but I plan on fighting back real soon.

Terrible business practice if you ask me. Actually, I wouldn't mind it so much if the phone service that Cox provides didn't go down every damned day.

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2007, 12:11 PM
I HAD the bundle, but I only recieved solicitation calls on my home phone (when it worked). Of course she pulled that 911 bull****, but i told her I have 2 cell phones THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

With DISH if you don't have a phone there is a $5/month fee, but that's still a lot cheaper (and less trouble) than a phone thru cox once they add in all their fees and junk.

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2007, 12:14 PM
I'll be saving about $30 on the TV bill, and another $20something on the phone. AND I'll get TONS more HD channels.

The internet went up $6 since I cancelled all the other stuff, but I don't care.

Mjcpr
4/27/2007, 12:34 PM
I get quite a few HD channels with Cox Comm and I haven't had any problems them. FYI

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2007, 01:05 PM
not 32 of em.

and I can't get ABC or FOX with cox

r5TPsooner
4/27/2007, 02:29 PM
not 32 of em.

and I can't get ABC or FOX with cox

Exactly. I count 13 HD channels with Cox and that includes one HBO channel and excludes a bunch of Cox mumbo-jumbo channels (700, 701, 740 and) 741, that offer nothing but an "off air" message and an occasional Cardinal baseball game.

Change is inevitable and I just wonder how in the world that Cox stays in business. They must please a few customers out there somehow.

DuSStyBottoms22
4/27/2007, 06:15 PM
cox makes $0 off of the HD feed and it is strictly a heart argyle problem. they are trying to force the cable co to pay for all of their hd eqipment

Sorry just sharing what I had read. Who knows who is to blame.

Brent Hensley, KOCO-TV/DT president and general manager, said it is Cox Communications that is holding up the talks.

“Cox has been actively promoting to current and prospective subscribers the addition of our digital channel to its lineup, for an additional monthly fee, and we’re certainly supportive of that. But they won’t come to terms with us on providing fair consideration for that right. To allow any re-distributor of our station’s digital signal to benefit economically from our efforts without providing us a reasonable contract for that right would be unacceptable for us.”

“Cox Cable has taken our digital signal and placed it as a part of their digital tier package and are reaping the benefits of having KOCO-TV local news and ABC’s prime time lineup and ‘Dr. Phil’ and ‘Oprah.’ What we are asking them to do is to compensate us in a reasonable and fair manner for the use of our HD signal that they are repackaging and selling to the consumer.”

TopDaugIn2000
4/27/2007, 07:04 PM
it's a ****ing contest, and I let them know it. I told them it looks like that over the past 8 months they COULD some up with SOME kind of agreement. apparently not, so I went elsewhere.

TopDaugIn2000
5/10/2007, 12:49 PM
ok, so I'm not getting my locals in HD. Is this something I didn't "add on", so equipment I didn't buy, or just something I'm doing wrong. Anybody with DISH know what the deal is? I have all of the locals, just not in HD.

hurricane'bone
5/10/2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not with Dish, but a quick check of the website says you need an OTA attenna to get HD Locals in the OKC area.

Boomer.....
5/10/2007, 01:56 PM
ok, so I'm not getting my locals in HD. Is this something I didn't "add on", so equipment I didn't buy, or just something I'm doing wrong. Anybody with DISH know what the deal is? I have all of the locals, just not in HD.
Cox's still work. :D

r5TPsooner
5/10/2007, 02:33 PM
Cox's still work. :D

True but that does not include ABC or Fox in HD.

Yes, you'll need an off air antennae which I think that they can hook on the dish at the time of installation.

They'll be at my place on Saturday and I'll give an update.

Boomer.....
5/10/2007, 02:37 PM
True but that does not include ABC or Fox in HD.

Yes, you'll need an off air antennae which I think that they can hook on the dish at the time of installation.

They'll be at my place on Saturday and I'll give an update.
Cox in Tulsa does. :cool:

TopDaugIn2000
5/10/2007, 02:40 PM
so if it's something they hook up to the satellite, are they listed on the satellite guide, or do you have to change the TV channels? I'm not home, or I'd try it.

StoopTroup
5/10/2007, 06:06 PM
Maybe there should be a pole that you can vote on much you love Cox.